Serious question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Serious question

I have one thing to add, from watching the HBO 24x7 I see that the GM talks things over with the coaching staff about player performances and it seems to me that it would be natural to discuss overall game strategy and who plays, who sits and etc.

Before watching the HBO special I didn't realize that they had so many meetings.  From what I've observed it would not be unusual for Neely to be in some of those meetings and throw his 2 cents in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hearsay, conjecture, guessing, speculating, manipulating, wishing...

No good reasons though.

I don't think he is a figure-head, but I certainly agree that he has virually no say at all in day-to-day coaching decisions.  It may just be possible that Julien is a smart man who made some adjustments all on his own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Serious question:
    I have one thing to add, from watching the HBO 24x7 I see that the GM talks things over with the coaching staff about player performances and it seems to me that it would be natural to discuss overall game strategy and who plays, who sits and etc. Before watching the HBO special I didn't realize that they had so many meetings.  From what I've observed it would not be unusual for Neely to be in some of those meetings and throw his 2 cents in.
    Posted by BadHabitude

But Neely isn't the GM, he's the President. 

Even in the HBO special you don't see the President talking with the coach about day-to-day coaching strategies.  What you see is the coach and the GM discussing player 'grades' and then deciding on lineups and roster call-ups.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

In Response to Serious question:
    Why do so many people here think Neely has a significant say in coaching strategy? I understand what he did for this franchise and that he is President, but what has led all of you conspiracy theorists to conclude that he is anything more than a figurehead?
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

In fact, in his most recent radio appearance Chiarelli said that he did in fact meet with Claude after every game that he's in attendance for (maybe over the phone otherwise) and they do a similar rating of every player on that nights performance.  They use a 1-5 scale.  He also said that he hears it from Claude if he gives him a player that stinks!  Thought that was pretty interesting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Hearsay, conjecture, guessing, speculating, manipulating, wishing... No good reasons though. I don't think he is a figure-head, but I certainly agree that he has virually no say at all in day-to-day coaching decisions.  It may just be possible that Julien is a smart man who made some adjustments all on his own.
    Posted by Fletcher1

If it took this long for him to make adjustments.....not sure I would say he's THAT smart?.....You know the old saying....$h!t flows down hill

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Upper management (President, GM, Coach...etc) all have to be on the same page with the direction and decision making that a team goes through.    Claude and Cam have to be in meetings together with others often.   That is just common sense.

Now what goes on in those meetings I have no idea.  I don't know if coaching decisions like how to develop Seguin, who goes on the PP,..etc is purely up to Claude or influenced by the group at large.   Unless you know, it's all just speculation.   

I expect to see conspiracy theorists when I go to chat boards,.... Leaf chat boards that is.   I expect better from Bruin fans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

To me it makes sense that Neely has significant influence on CJ.  First and foremost, the way the team has lost its last 2 playoff series has ticked off the fan base to no end, and ownership (regardless of what you think of them) needed to right the ship from the top down.

Secondly, until last June, Neely reported to PC.  Now, PC reports to Neely. Why make a change at all if it isn't going to impact the on-ice performance of the team, since that is the biggest issue they are trying to fix?  So by extension (ie: through PC) Neely's message is now being heard loud and clear by CJ.  Last year, Neely wasn't whispering in PC's ear; or even if he was, PC didn't have to listen!  Now he does.

I also feel that the first time that Neely had to flex his muscle was after the debacle in Montreal on December 16.  Neely himself was a huge part of the B's finally exorcising the demons (I forget the year) when they beat the Habs in the playoffs for the first time in years.  I think he had seen enough on December 16 when the B's came out in that game like a buch of zombies.

I know this is purely speculation on my part but I do feel there's more to Neely's role than just an empty suit. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

To me it makes sense that Neely has significant influence on CJ.  First and foremost, the way the team has lost its last 2 playoff series has ticked off the fan base to no end, and ownership (regardless of what you think of them) needed to right the ship from the top down. Secondly, until last June, Neely reported to PC.  Now, PC reports to Neely. Why make a change at all if it isn't going to impact the on-ice performance of the team, since that is the biggest issue they are trying to fix?  So by extension (ie: through PC) Neely's message is now being heard loud and clear by CJ.  Last year, Neely wasn't whispering in PC's ear; or even if he was, PC didn't have to listen!  Now he does. I also feel that the first time that Neely had to flex his muscle was after the debacle in Montreal on December 16.  Neely himself was a huge part of the B's finally exorcising the demons (I forget the year) when they beat the Habs in the playoffs for the first time in years.  I think he had seen enough on December 16 when the B's came out in that game like a buch of zombies. I know this is purely speculation on my part but I do feel there's more to Neely's role than just an empty suit. 
    Posted by hangnail

Hangnail...I believe it was 1988....the thing about all of this is....Neely is the President of the Boston Bruins....I'm pretty sure if he's not happy about the product on the ice...I would hope he would he make his presence felt. I'm only going to assume that Neely and PC approached CJ about maybe tweeking his coaching philosophy. I still think he is a good coach...but if he isn't willing to bend a little it could cost him his job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Serious question:
    Why do so many people here think Neely has a significant say in coaching strategy? I understand what he did for this franchise and that he is President, but what has led all of you conspiracy theorists to conclude that he is anything more than a figurehead?
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I conclude that he is more than a figurehead because he is not a Milt Schmidt ambadassor.  He's the team President.

I conclude that he might be involved in coaching strategies because he has 712 more NHL games at a very high skill level under his belt and that sort of experience would never be overlooked.  I don't think he spends much time in the personal lives of the players, which all coaches do, but when it comes to what needs to be done to win, it's lunacy to think Neely's point of view isn't requested and utilized on a common basis.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I conclude that he is more than a figurehead because he is not a Milt Schmidt ambadassor.  He's the team President.

I conclude that he might be involved in coaching strategies because he has 712 more NHL games at a very high skill level under his belt and that sort of experience would never be overlooked.  I don't think he spends much time in the personal lives of the players, which all coaches do, but when it comes to what needs to be done to win, it's lunacy to think Neely's point of view isn't requested and utilized on a common basis.

Good Call NAS!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Serious question : But Neely isn't the GM, he's the President.  Even in the HBO special you don't see the President talking with the coach about day-to-day coaching strategies.  What you see is the coach and the GM discussing player 'grades' and then deciding on lineups and roster call-ups.
    Posted by Fletcher1

It's safe to assume that the President talks with the GM about the on ice product often.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Serious question : It's safe to assume that the President talks with the GM about the on ice product often.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Obviously. 

But that's not the same thing as coaching.  Neely is likely involved in all kind of things that effect the on-ice product as are most presidents.  But there's still no evidence that anyone other than Claude is coaching the team, which I believe was the point of the post.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Serious question : It's safe to assume that the President talks with the GM about the on ice product often.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Totally agree NAS....He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I've heard multiple times about Neely going out on the ice to work with players.  So I'd say its safe to say that he has at least some advice to give on coaching.

Not to say he has final call, but he does provide input....and the B's would be crazy not to listen to him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've heard multiple times about Neely going out on the ice to work with players.  So I'd say its safe to say that he has at least some advice to give on coaching. Not to say he has final call, but he does provide input....and the B's would be crazy not to listen to him
    Posted by Chappy28

See, this brings up a couple of questions for me:

1. Is this really true?  Neely is on the ice for practices??  I had not heard that.

2. I know we all worship Neely for his playing days and his passion about the team, but saying "the Bruins would be crazy not to listen to him" brings up other questions. 

Should they listen to Neely on coaching things when they already have a coach??  What if he and Claude disagree -- should they listen to Neely over Claude??  If that is the case, then why wouldn't they get rid of Claude and make Neely coach??

I'm sure a lot of people here would go for that, but you have to think that Julien is still in control of the coaching.  Is there any evidence to the contrary (aside from fans projecting their desire for Neely take the reins and pretending it is so?)

3. Are we really so sure that Neely knows more about coaching than Claude?  That seems to be implied a lot here, but what evidence do we have?  Neely has never coached.  He was everything as a player, but who really knows if he is any good at being behind the bench?  Who knows if he's that smart?  Who knows if he is a good strategist?

I love Neely just as much as everyone else, let's stop assuming he is a hockey genius just because he was a star player and is passionate about the Bruins.

(here comes the onslaught of "how dare you question Neely")...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I still think Neely would be a great fit as coach (think O'Reilly '88 and Milbury '90).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

In Response to Re: Serious question : See, this brings up a couple of questions for me: 1. Is this really true?  Neely is on the ice for practices??  I had not heard that. 2. I know we all worship Neely for his playing days and his passion about the team, but saying "the Bruins would be crazy not to listen to him" brings up other questions.  Should they listen to Neely on coaching things when they already have a coach??  What if he and Claude disagree -- should they listen to Neely over Claude??  If that is the case, then why wouldn't they get rid of Claude and make Neely coach?? I'm sure a lot of people here would go for that, but you have to think that Julien is still in control of the coaching.  Is there any evidence to the contrary (aside from fans projecting their desire for Neely take the reins and pretending it is so?) 3. Are we really so sure that Neely knows more about coaching than Claude?  That seems to be implied a lot here, but what evidence do we have?  Neely has never coached.  He was everything as a player, but who really knows if he is any good at being behind the bench?  Who knows if he's that smart?  Who knows if he is a good strategist? I love Neely just as much as everyone else, let's stop assuming he is a hockey genius just because he was a star player and is passionate about the Bruins. (here comes the onslaught of "how dare you question Neely")...
    Posted by Fletcher1

It has been documented when Neely has worked with Lucic and other forwards regarding technique...
    I disagree with you, but no point in attacking. It really read your comments as though you were taking a backhanded swipe at NAS...? I don't get it.
    Former players assist all the time, it does not translate into them being a hockey "genius" or a great coach, just terrific technicians at their craft.
    Doc

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Serious question : It has been documented when Neely has worked with Lucic and other forwards regarding technique... I disagree with you, but no point in attacking. It really read your comments as though you were taking a backhanded swipe at NAS...? I don't get it. Former players assist all the time, it does not translate into them being a hockey "genius" or a great coach, just terrific technicians at their craft. Doc
    Posted by TomOBrien

Tom, what?? My comments have nothing to do with NAS at all.  There are a response to Chappy, as you can cleary see at the top of my post.  I even bolded the sentences from Chappy's post to clearly show exactly what I was referring too...(how could I make that any clearer???).  "A backhanded swipe"??  What are you talking about? 

I was questioning if a) Neely is really on the ice at practice, and b) if the Bruins should automatically listen to coaching advice from Neely.  Both questions derive from those exact statements in Chappy's post.  Read what is actually there -- I've got no problem with Neely helping players or whatever, I am talking strictly about coaching. 

I have know idea why you're bringing NAS into it.  Puzzling.  And, that guy is capable of sticking up for himself, if you haven't noticed...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

My apologies for the confusion. A long day...I guess I got lost in all the words...:-)
    Back to the specific topic, many former Bruins have assisted current players over the years. Neely's contributions to the Bruinsover the years are undeniable and any input from him would be foolish to ignore.
    Whether he is the next Scotty Bowman remains to be seen.
    I think any comment on this topic would be insufficient...time will tell the story.
    Doc

Sections
Shortcuts