Seriously, who's gonna beat Philly now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Seriously, who's gonna beat Philly now?

Answer:  No one.

The Versteeg trade puts Chiarelli on the spot.  Not to be a downer, but unless PC can pull off 2 major acquisitions (such as Brad Richards AND Zach Bogosian), I think B's Cup chances just came to a screeching halt.

I loathe the Phliars and hope I'm wrong, but Versteeg gives them 3 absurdly potent lines.  Now that he's back on a good team, Versteeg will be every bit as good as he was with Chicago and maybe even better after suffocating in Toronto for a few months. 

But seriously, who's gonna beat Philly? 

No one in the east, certainly not our beloved B's as currently constructed.  As great as TT's been, he won't be enough to stop that Philly powerhouse. 

And out in the previously powerful west, the Canucks are being done in as we speak by all those injuries to their D (Alberts to IR as of last night's injury), the Sharks are at their inconsistent "best" and Detroit hasn't shown they have the goal-tending needed to win a Cup. 

It's over now, unless PC can work a miracle or two.  But he'd better move ASAP and not wait as he has leading up to previous trade deadlines.

As always, eph Les Phliars.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Seriously, who's gonna beat Philly now?

All the top seeds were out before the conference finals last year.  Just because Philly has a potent lineup doesn't mean they are shoo-in's for the Cup.

I'd say we have 3 potent lines when they're going good. So, Philly isn't anymore a team to worry about than TBL or PIT or Montreal is.  To be honest, Tampa Bay is the team that scares me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Philly's "absurdly potent lineup" doesn't include a single point/game scorer.  Philly is 3rd in the league is scoring, Boston is 5th.  Versteeg isn't going to change that much for them - he'll be a third liner, maybe second, probably both as they look for chemistry.

The Flyers' advantage over the Bruins is on the blueline where their top four are capable at both end of the ice.  The Flyer tandem of Bobrowski and Boucher in nets, though, doesn't fill me with fear.  I'd definitely take the Bruins' goaltending over the Flyers'. 

Hey, they are in first in the East.  But I think I'll wait to see the games.  That lineup isn't so different from last year's team that the Bruins whupped three straight and were on their way to sweeping before Krejci went down.  Surely the Bruins haven't forgotten how that ended, which I'd hope gets them up for every game of a series with the Flyers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Who'll beat Philly? Their first round opponent!

Time is the great equaliser. What they did unto others, will be done unto them.
    It works everytime.

Don't impress yourself with "all their talent", no-one else will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to Seriously, who's gonna beat Philly now?:

Answer to your question : The Boston Bruins

Cause the Stanley Cup will stop in Boston for the next 3 years

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Nobody will beat Philly this year they have their missing piece a playoff player  with secondary scoring ability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

They still need a goalie, but they look pretty dangerous

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: Seriously, who's gonna beat Philly now?:
    Nobody will beat Philly this year they have their missing piece a playoff player  with secondary scoring ability.
    Posted by boborielly224

Take a quick look to see how many goals Versteeg has this year.

If that is the secondary scoring that Philly needs, they better get ready for a disapointment.

Don't argue that he was on a bad team. He got lots of ice time, and still fell from the first line to the third.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Granted their lineup looks good on paper , but the game is played on ice ,who's to say their goaltending doesn't drop a big deuce in the play-offs, because it's not like they got Dominic Hasek or Roy between the pipes. That my friends is still a big ? for the Flyers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I don't think the addition of Versteeg is going to push them from a good team, to an "unbeatable" team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The only advantage a team would have is in net. I am not sold on Boucher.  Never was.

There's a handful of goalies in the East who could play great and outduel him, knocking Philly off.

Bos, Montreal, NYR, Pitt, TB.

All these teams could make life difficult. But, on paper, yes, clearly Philly is the favorite.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

In Response to Seriously, who's gonna beat Philly now?:
    Answer:  No one. The Versteeg trade puts Chiarelli on the spot.  Not to be a downer, but unless PC can pull off 2 major acquisitions (such as Brad Richards AND Zach Bogosian), I think B's Cup chances just came to a screeching halt. I loathe the Phliars and hope I'm wrong, but Versteeg gives them 3 absurdly potent lines.  Now that he's back on a good team, Versteeg will be every bit as good as he was with Chicago and maybe even better after suffocating in Toronto for a few months.  But seriously, who's gonna beat Philly?  No one in the east, certainly not our beloved B's as currently constructed .  As great as TT's been, he won't be enough to stop that Philly powerhouse.  And out in the previously powerful west, the Canucks are being done in as we speak by all those injuries to their D (Alberts to IR as of last night's injury), the Sharks are at their inconsistent "best" and Detroit hasn't shown they have the goal-tending needed to win a Cup.  It's over now, unless PC can work a miracle or two.  But he'd better move ASAP and not wait as he has leading up to previous trade deadlines. As always, eph Les Phliars.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

IM PRETTY SURE YOU WOULD HAVE SAID THAT ABOUT WASHINGTON AND PITTSBURGH AGAINST MTL LAST SEASON...YOU NEVER KNOW IF HOCKEY MY FRIEND

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

bruins8 i can read your post very well you don't have to yell it out. Please hit your Caps Lock I am getting a headache Thanx. It will be a very awesome play-off season too bad the Leaf Fans don't know that feeling as of late.

Lets Go Bruins Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CoolLaughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Whether we like it our not Philly did get better.  They have 3 good lines(not great) and a 4th line of checkers. The have an untested goalie combo.  What their strength over last year is their dmen.  Easily have the top 6 in the league.  They can play all of them and not blink an eye.  We can't say that.  Its Chara and then a big drop off.  Philly also has the experience that went with losing in a cup final.  They also have Richards and Pronger which are huge b/c they know how to get it done.  It isnt always scoring a goal, its all the little things in hockey. 

I don't think Philly has a superior skilled team.  But they have guys that know how how to win.  We don't have that.   We don't seem to have those players willing to go through walls.   I am not sure a bunch of moves is the answer.  I keep saying we need the obvious but I don't know what blockbuster type deals are there for real difference makers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Can we at least admit that adding Versteeg makes a very good hockey team even better? If the Bruins had picked up Versteeg how many of you would be crowing about how much better the Bruins have become?

Why all the denial? I heard the same denials about how much better TB would be b/c they got Roloson (he's too old, no big deal, etc.) Well, take a look at TB now and tell me they aren't a powerhouse that's filled the ONE area of weakness they had on that team?

I agree with the poster of this thread--Philly is clearly the best team in the East and PC has GOT to do something to improve the B's or they're dead meat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Five4Fighting. Show Five4Fighting's posts

Ugh, living in PA I had to put up with Flyers fans and their ugly Orange everything all my life.

The one big point I would make here is the fact that even though the Flyers have put up a lot of goals this season, they don't have a single shoutout this year.

Of course that can change, but look how far we are into the season, it tells you that even though they can score, maybe their defensive core isn't that spectacular and WILL give up goals.

As Bookboy points out, their lineup really isn't that different from last year and the Bruins have faired pretty well against them this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

First of all, any who makes it to the finals from the west will beat the Flyers if it comes to that.

Next, to echo about a 100 posts, Versteeg doesn't make them that much better.

There is parity in this league.  The Maple Leafs play the Flyers twice more, would you be willing to bet your life that the Flyers will win both those games?

20 pts separates 24 teams in this league, think about it, that's pretty tight.  There's 11 pts between Calgary and the Flyers, that's really not that much if you think about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Versteeg adds a piece to the puzzle and seems to be made for the playoffs.  He has high skill and can play any role.  I would say that is a good addition.  For starters he is good on the PP.  Something we need.
    Their star type players are warriors and their secondary players are all solid grinders with a scoring ability.
    Lets just say I would rather have Versteeg then our entire 3rd line and likely more so than a couple on our top 2 lines.  For those saying he hasnt done much this year.  Well look at our 1st line RW. 

I think Philly at the moment would beat any team in the East.  The Canucks seem to be dropping like flies.  Detroit is very good and their puck possession style would give Philly the hardest test.  But after Detroit and Van the east is totally a weird breed.  I have no idea how a team like Coyotes win.  But they do.  They will tap out in round one.  Same as Nashville.

I hope we add some bodies and I think we will.  Patience and enjoy watching the games.  The playoffs is an entirely different season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Habs run circles around Pronger

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i don't do predictions...but i will say the "versteeg traded" headline on the nhl network kept me glued to the set. i was hoping he was picked up by the b's, to no avail. he makes a very good philly squad even deeper. the wait continues....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I thought the injury depleted Bruins were going to get crushed by the Flyers in the playoffs last year but after re-thinking Phillys goalie situation I gave Boston a chance. I predicted the Habs were going to upset the Caps in the first round and got laughed at. Lost hundreds of simoleans when I was over confident about the Bruins-Canadiens 2004 matchup.

Phillys talent level does worry me but their goaltending doesn't have allot of playoff experience plus the Bruins are a big team that bolds well in the playoffs. I see two moves PC will make they will be depth moves and I also predict people on this board will be up in arms.

Sections
Shortcuts