Shawn Thornton Appealing 15 game suspension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Shawn Thornton Appealing 15 game suspension

Just read this on the NHLPA twitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton Appealing 15 game suspension

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439152

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I saw that coming after Cam's comments the other day. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Take 3 games off Thornton's suspension and give them to Orpik.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For what? A 2 minute interference penalty? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Delay of game, lying on the Garden ice refusing to get up and faking an injury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Delay of game, lying on the Garden ice refusing to get up and faking an injury.

[/QUOTE]

LOL. I can't say he's faking it anymore. I know why he doesn't fight, he's obvisiously made of glass. When you see Parros get up after that crack he took from Bolton & what Orpik took? Just doesn't make a lot of sense. Was he already concussed from the Erikkson hit himself & didn't know it? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Well im hoping it gets reduced to 10, we all know the league is using him as an example. Thortons slew foot and pinch was no worse than anyone who targets the head of an opponent and gets what ? 2 games lol and hes a first offender.I read alot about how ppl here say guys put themself in vulnerable situations and are to blame also when they get rocked so Oprlk for one had to know ST was on the ice and 2/ stay out of scrums if you cant take what you like to give.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Just maybe the appeal has more to do with Neal's suspension of 5 games as compared to Thornton's 15.  The NHL and NHLPA will do nothing.  Time to move on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't think this appeal has anything to do with Thornton and has more to do with the NHLPA taking the opportunity to test the new appeal system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think this appeal has anything to do with Thornton and has more to do with the NHLPA taking the opportunity to test the new appeal system.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Bogus not 3 times as bad as a targeted undefendable head shot.  I would appeal as well, Neal's was just a phone call.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] I don't think this appeal has anything to do with Thornton and has more to do with the NHLPA taking the opportunity to test the new appeal system.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] I don't think this appeal has anything to do with Thornton and has more to do with the NHLPA taking the opportunity to test the new appeal system.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

[/QUOTE]

Didn't Patrick Kaleta try the same process with his 10 gamer earlier this season? Bettman punted it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] I don't think this appeal has anything to do with Thornton and has more to do with the NHLPA taking the opportunity to test the new appeal system.

Bingo!

[/QUOTE]

Didn't Patrick Kaleta try the same process with his 10 gamer earlier this season? Bettman punted it.

[/QUOTE]

Not quite - Kaleta did not pursue beyond Bettman, though he could have. There is an independent arbitrator now who has final say if a player so chooses to go that root. So if Bettman punts ST's, which he most likely will given the optics, ST, unlike Kaleta, would likely go to the arbitrator who has final authority and can overturn Bettman's decision. That's the waters I think the NHLPA are testing here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's a worthwhile suspension to appeal. Most of the length was because it looked bad, not because of previous precedent of guys who punch others while down get 15 games. I bet he could get it reduced by an arbitrator. The "make an example" suspensions are the ones to appeal, especially when a guy has no record.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think 15 for a first time offender is high.  I wonder how many fans thought the likes of Savard, Bergie, Marchand, Loui, Paille, Horton were faking.  Im sure they must have.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Not quite - Kaleta did not pursue beyond Bettman, though he could have. There is an independent arbitrator now who has final say if a player so chooses to go that root. So if Bettman punts ST's, which he most likely will given the optics, ST, unlike Kaleta, would likely go to the arbitrator who has final authority and can overturn Bettman's decision. That's the waters I think the NHLPA are testing here.

[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the explanation, red.  Do you think this situation is similar to Moore/Bertuzzi in terms of the premeditated actions and subsequent consequences?  Like Bertuzzi, Thornton didn't appear wig out on the spot.  Both Thornton and Bertuzzi were amped by an earlier incident; Thornton's in the same game while Bertuzzi's was from a previous Avs/Canucks game. Like Bertuzzi did with Moore, Thornton sought out Orpik.  

Bertuzzi got the Canucks' remaining 13 regular season games plus 7 playoff games in '04 to make the total 20.  We know the lockout year followed. I'm trying to compare Thornton's 15 games for what he did to Bertuzzi's 13 regular season games plus 7 playoff games for his actions.  I'm looking for parallels in each.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'm hoping Thornton gets a nice victory in his appeal.  If the League is upset enough by its ruling being overturned, maybe the NHL and NHLPA will actually sit down this off-season and hammer out some kind of guidelines for suspensions.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the explanation, red.  Do you think this situation is similar to Moore/Bertuzzi in terms of the premeditated actions and subsequent consequences?  Like Bertuzzi, Thornton didn't appear wig out on the spot.  Both Thornton and Bertuzzi were amped by an earlier incident; Thornton's in the same game while Bertuzzi's was from a previous Avs/Canucks game. Like Bertuzzi did with Moore, Thornton sought out Orpik.  

Bertuzzi got the Canucks' remaining 13 regular season games plus 7 playoff games in '04 to make the total 20.  We know the lockout year followed. I'm trying to compare Thornton's 15 games for what he did to Bertuzzi's 13 regular season games plus 7 playoff games for his actions.  I'm looking for parallels in each.

[/QUOTE]

Rich,

i think a huge difference is bertuzzi didnt act his revenge until the next game.  He had time to plan that.  everyone knew it was coming.  With Orpik it even looked awkward.  I feel bad for ST.   

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well im hoping it gets reduced to 10, we all know the league is using him as an example. Thortons slew foot and pinch was no worse than anyone who targets the head of an opponent and gets what ? 2 games lol and hes a first offender.I read alot about how ppl here say guys put themself in vulnerable situations and are to blame also when they get rocked so Oprlk for one had to know ST was on the ice and 2/ stay out of scrums if you cant take what you like to give.

[/QUOTE]

Noooooooooo we dont want the turtle back before 15 games or even 25 ....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Leaving your feet on a pre-meditated dirty hit like that, blindside deserves a suspension.

It used to be "keep your head up" with the puck. Now, Bettman wants players just skating from across the ice not only interfering but following through while leaving your feet.

It wouldn't have been as bad if the intent and the finish didn''t have him off his skates at the end.

[/QUOTE]

Never left his feet.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts