Shawn Thornton unloads on Vancouver columnist Tony Gallagher *LIVE*

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton unloads on Vancouver columnist Tony Gallagher *LIVE*

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton unloads on Vancouver columnist Tony Gallagher *LIVE*:
    There is no way this Gallagher geek believes even a portion of what he just said. There is no unwritten rule for amount of fights between two goons in a period!  Who came up with that one?  The reason why no one respects Vancouver is because of this lack of accountability and outright arrogance. This makes MOntreal look normal. Also, Thornton was showing them respect (which he shouldn't) for asking Wiesse for the second one. Let's analyze this again: 1. Wiesse goes after Horton. Horton is not a fighter, but Horton obliges and does well. 2. This is during a 4 or 5 on 1 on Thornton, with multiple people punching Thornton in the back of the head.   3. LaPierre is not ejected for 4th man in, nor is the 3rd man in for Vancouver and Vancouver then acts like a victim for seeing one fo the players injured (supposedly/suspicion looms) over a hit that wasn't a penalty or illegal last June when they did it, TWICE. 4. Thornton then challenges Wiesse to a second fight in the penalty box AND on the ice before the face off. Wiesse obliges and then doesn't drop the gloves, which is a pansy/against the code move by a gutless punk. Do they all take arrogance pills in Vancouver? What is it? Did they just start learning and following hockey there?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

Please please please, don't base your opinion of Vancouver solely on Skeletor Gallagher and what passes (for him) as "journalism".  Most serious hockey fans can't stand the guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Totally not an ambush by Felgie. Skeletor (love that 49N) brought up Thornton who by sheer luck was in studio. Sticks and Stones is a sports entertainment show and if any of us is the host and this happens you would immediately do exactly like Felgie did while quietly thanking God for the early birthday gift. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stourque. Show stourque's posts

This Gallagher is a tool. Two fights in one period? My God!! I'm thinking if I'm a bit of a plug, maybe I should impress my bosses and show that I'll go to the mat for the team. Nope sorry, I had a fight 15 minutes ago. Oh please. How many times have you seen two guys fight, go to the penalty box, come out and go right back at it. Lots!

And if the Canucks are not a tough team (which they're not), then why do they act like it. If they acted like Detroit (another non tough team) they would get so much more respect. It starts with the GM and the coach - both big fat wussies! (I had to change the 'p' to a 'w') And the fans are all d*ckheads too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Thorton is a much more formidable fighter than McQuaid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Not going to source it but here you go.

Im paraphrasing Marchand.

"Wiese thought he was going to go with McQuiad. When Thornton jumped in and tried to surprise Wiese. It was actually a sneaky move by Thorty. All the Ref heard was Wiese yelling "lets fight" apparently and Thornton took advantage of the opportunity to slug the wussbag which apparently backfired"

O_O  wth?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Olsonic IDK about that. Mcquaid has dealt some serious damage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Wanting to fight McQuaid doesn't seem like a good idea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SEABASS2014. Show SEABASS2014's posts

In Response to Shawn Thornton unloads on Vancouver columnist Tony Gallagher *LIVE*:
    "The Bruins' tough guy was on the Comcast SportsNet New England set after the Bruins beat the Jets, while host Michael Felger  was talking with The Province columnist Tony Gallagher from Vancouver. The writer was explaining to the host some of the finer points of fighting, and he claimed that to try to fight a player in the same period he's already fought is not OK, that it crosses some sort of line. In this case, the player was Dale Weise , who had already fought Nathan Horton  but looked ready to dance with Thornton later that period. Once Thornton dropped his gloves, though, Weise backed out. Little did Gallagher know that Thornton was waiting in the wings , ready to be the third man in, so to speak." This is just classic:  http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/post/Thornton-lays-smackdown-on-Canucks-colum?blockID=628832&feedID=3352
    Posted by jalvis

Thank you Jalvis that clip is a beauty!

Seabass

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

so weasels can't make it to a cup final according to JimBob although for certain they will not win it with their weasely ways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

On a related subject, inviting someone on your radio show, then ambushing them with a "surprise guest" is somewhat offsides in terms of journalistic best practices.  However, if it's gonna happen to anyone, I'm glad it was Gallagher. Posted by 49-North

When you are on the right side of an argument, you can't be ambushed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Jalvis, my brother and I laugh every time anyone dares.  It is funny to see Quadier's face!  Intimidating!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the president's cup line was classic.

served.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

The media here in Vancouver has played this in a different way. They believe that Tony was invited to speak on a Boston radio station and he was blind sided by Thornton just happening to be in another studio on the phone. There is only one sports radio station in Vancouver area. They play to a very broad audience-there aren't specialty   "sports entertainmen"shows like : sticks and stones. These guys have played the clips all day and feel that it was a lack of integrity on the part of the host to set Tony up like that. I hate gallagher most of the time but when the Canucks suck- he lets them have it. He is the most negative or non bandwagon guy in vancouver. I love the Bruins and have for 35-40years but the host of that show comes off sounding like a clown here in Van."Enjoy your President's Trophy"- That's something I would say after 8 beers to someone after a game or I would scream at the TV set after watching the Canucks lose to the B's- but that's not sports journalism- it's a stereotype of the kind of characters that Matt damon and Ben Affleck create of Bostonians in their movies. A bunch of the posters from this board commented on how most Boston stations laughed them off the phone as recently as a year ago whenever they tried to call in to talk hockey on the radio.And now these same radio hosts are "buddies" with the players on the team. How can you have professional integrity/autonomy after sucking up to players likethat? This stunt just came off here as classless. I'm just telling you how it sounded on this end. no . .  .I'm not another one of 49North's personas either.I never agree with him and I hate the Canucks just a little more each day.- I can say that because I'm a fan, not a professional journalist.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Gallagher had no problem coming on the show and ripping on Thornton and giving his opinion of the events but now it's a lack of integrity on the part of the host because Thornton is there?

That's the trouble with the Nucks time for them to man up.  Gallagher has something to say then at least have the testicle fortitude to say it to Thornton when he can defend himself or does Gallagher need 6 other journalist with him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from blydon75. Show blydon75's posts

Chef09, first off, this interview was on a TV show, not a radio show.  Secondly Boston has 2 full-time sport radio networks, WEEI (the original) was the one that would never talk Bruins and mock Bruins fans.  The SportsHub is a few years old and always invited hockey talk onto their show. The host of the TV show where this happened is Mike Felger and he is on the SportsHub and has always been a hockey guy. His first job in Boston was as the Bruins beat reporter for the Herald.

The way it is being spun in Vancounver just continues to confirm their foolishness. Shawn Thornton is a regular on that show. Felger had no idea that this tool was going to  present a sermon about how horrible Shawn Thornton was, including spitting out totally false points to make Thornton look bad.  Thornton was waiting off-set for his normal segment, and gestured to the host asking if he can go on to defend himself. It wasn't planned.  Why wouldn't he?  This blowhard tool bag had the freedom to spew lies about Thornton, so why can't he go on to defend himself?  It happens sometimes on sports radio that a reporter is ripping a player, that player gets wind of it and calls in to defend themselves.  This whole "there was ambush" cry is ridiculous. There was no indication that this guy was going to go off about Thornton, and Felger even aksed him before Thornton came on if it was OK if Thornton joined in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

this is Thorny's week.... the dude rawks

his naysayers here have gone quiet, or perhaps it's to the Turkish bathouse for a consoling rubdown. HA HA HA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton unloads on Vancouver columnist Tony Gallagher *LIVE*:
    The media here in Vancouver has played this in a different way. They believe that Tony was invited to speak on a Boston radio station and he was blind sided by Thornton just happening to be in another studio on the phone. There is only one sports radio station in Vancouver area. They play to a very broad audience-there aren't specialty   "sports entertainmen"shows like : sticks and stones. These guys have played the clips all day and feel that it was a lack of integrity on the part of the host to set Tony up like that. I hate gallagher most of the time but when the Canucks suck- he lets them have it. He is the most negative or non bandwagon guy in vancouver. I love the Bruins and have for 35-40years but the host of that show comes off sounding like a clown here in Van."Enjoy your President's Trophy"- That's something I would say after 8 beers to someone after a game or I would scream at the TV set after watching the Canucks lose to the B's- but that's not sports journalism- it's a stereotype of the kind of characters that Matt damon and Ben Affleck create of Bostonians in their movies. A bunch of the posters from this board commented on how most Boston stations laughed them off the phone as recently as a year ago whenever they tried to call in to talk hockey on the radio.And now these same radio hosts are "buddies" with the players on the team. How can you have professional integrity/autonomy after sucking up to players likethat? This stunt just came off here as classless. I'm just telling you how it sounded on this end. no . .  .I'm not another one of 49North's personas either.I never agree with him and I hate the Canucks just a little more each day.- I can say that because I'm a fan, not a professional journalist.
    Posted by Chef09

Felger is originaly from Wisconsin and weather you disagree or agree with what he says most of the time he is far from a bruins hommer in fact he has been very critical of the them for a long time. As far as the station laughing bruins callers off the air that was WEEI. 985 the sports hub wich is the station he works for has been the #1 rated sports station in boston since it became a station about 3 years ago mainly do the fact they let the fans talk hockey. 985 is also the flagship station of the bruins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thorton is a much more formidable fighter than McQuaid.
    Posted by Olsonic

Tell that to the guys he's pounded. I saw McQuaid break a guys face in the Dallas game last year. He'd give Thornton all he could handle and that's no knock on Thornton.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Gallagher had no problem coming on the show and ripping on Thornton and giving his opinion of the events but now it's a lack of integrity on the part of the host because Thornton is there? That's the trouble with the Nucks time for them to man up.  Gallagher has something to say then at least have the testicle fortitude to say it to Thornton when he can defend himself or does Gallagher need 6 other journalist with him.
    Posted by winexpos

Win, you're dead on. If he was correct in his assertions then it doesn't matter if Thornton personally hears it or not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think it would have been a great shame if Thornton had NOT corrected him, and he would have gotten away with reporting complete untruths over the radio -- like, players never fight twice in a period, and Thornton weighs 50 pounds more than Weise, and so forth.

Which is less classy, telling lies on the radio or correcting them?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think it would have been a great shame if Thornton had NOT corrected him, and he would have gotten away with reporting complete untruths over the radio -- like, players never fight twice in a period, and Thornton weighs 50 pounds more than Weise, and so forth. Which is less classy, telling lies on the radio or correcting them?
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch, you're right again. Complaining about the "ambush" after stating outright lies is laughable. If I'm going to make something up about someone then I'll expect they might have something to say about it. NHL.com has Weise listed at 6'2-210. They've got Thornton listed as 6'2-217. Saying Thornton was picking on a guy that's 40 pounds smaller is beyond exageration and fails to take into account that Horton, who Weise just fought, is even bigger(6'2-229). There's lots of stuff to pick apart in Skeletor's "argument".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Here's a link to Gallagher's story from yesterday. It seems he's singing a different tune now....

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Gallagher+Boston+Bruins+tough+minded+style+successful+change/5981430/story.html

What I enjoyed most were the comments but this one, from a Canucks fan that saw the same Finals that we did, took the cake.

KeepingItReal75

5:03 PM on 1/11/2012

Geez. Cry me a river. When will people just learn to accept that the Bruins are a good freaking team. Stop whining about the refs. Stop whining about how dirty the bruins are. We had a 2-0 lead in the finals and we blew it. We had inconsistent goaltending and our #1 offence disappeared. It was our cup to lose, and we did just that. Get over it and move on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Here's a link to Gallagher's story from yesterday. It seems he's singing a different tune now.... http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Gallagher+Boston+Bruins+tough+minded+style+successful+change/5981430/story.html What I enjoyed most were the comments but this one, from a Canucks fan that saw the same Finals that we did, took the cake. KeepingItReal75 5:03 PM on 1/11/2012 Geez. Cry me a river. When will people just learn to accept that the Bruins are a good freaking team. Stop whining about the refs. Stop whining about how dirty the bruins are. We had a 2-0 lead in the finals and we blew it. We had inconsistent goaltending and our #1 offence disappeared. It was our cup to lose, and we did just that. Get over it and move on.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I bow to this guy.  He's trying to herd cats, but I bow to him...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton unloads on Vancouver columnist Tony Gallagher *LIVE* : I bow to this guy.  He's trying to herd cats, but I bow to him...
    Posted by Fletcher1

Yep, that guy has no trouble telling it like it is. Gallagher could learn alot from him.

Sections
Shortcuts