Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Shawn Thornton

Working in a factory starting out as professional hockey player sounds like a mid 50's type of story. Like him or hate him he has ended up in the right place at the right time to have 2 cup rings and still effective in the role he plays at 34.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2011/12/from-steel-worker-to-two-time-stanley-cup-champ.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton

The key words are "in the role he plays". I am not a Thornton fan as I would prefer to see a more skilled player in his spot. Lots of arguments both ways, but he as not been in any of the Bruins "altercations" lately, so his "role" may be diminishing. He still gives 100% and is a great cheer leader.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

A good question to his playing time would be ; If a more skilled player would be playing on the 4th line with the same amount of ice-time would the Bruins be better ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton:
    A good question to his playing time would be ; If a more skilled player would be playing on the 4th line with the same amount of ice-time would the Bruins be better ?
    Posted by BsLegion

Exactly Legion. A more skilled player, IMO, would not be effective on the 4th line. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton : Exactly Legion. A more skilled player, IMO, would not be effective on the 4th line. 
    Posted by Ronstar8

This is my view on Thornton as well. Even when you look at a team like Det who doesn't have an enforcer what are their 4th line guys putting up for numbers? Thornton isn't here to score goals, kill penalties etc etc... He is here to bring energy, bang bodies, fight, and for his excellent lockerroom presence. I don't see Caron on the 4th line. I see him in Pooh's spot. That's where he would be most effective I think. That's what I've always said. I said it last year when Seguin was sitting, Seguin doesn't belong their because that's not who he is. Thornton (and his linemates) are seen as the best 4th line in hockey. He's on the team for a reason. People can argue all they want. Also, he is a fan favorite and an all around great guy (I mean anyone willingly living in the Charlestown area has to be great right?)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

Last night on Hockey Night in Canada when they showed him chirping to all the Toronto players it really put into persepective how important he is to the team. If you're an 18 year old kid that is 5'10 160 lbs. chances are you're not gonna want to play against a player like Thornton. Plain and simple the B's won't find a player for the league minimum that's as good as Thornton. I think a quote from last year in the playoffs really sums up his attitude. When he was asked how much pressure he felt in game seven he responded with, "Like my buddy once said, ‘Pressure is five kids, no job.’ This is just fun. Game 7. Just drink it in, as they say.” 
    Or how about when he was asked about his biggest imporvements in the offseason, “I cut my hair.”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Posted by BsLegion

How could they not be better?  It baffles me that the question is even asked.  If you upgrade the skill you make the line better and you make the team better.  No brainer.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton :  How could they not be better?  It baffles me that the question is even asked.  If you upgrade the skill you make the line better and you make the team better.  No brainer.   
    Posted by scooter244

You're not going to be better if the guy plays on the 4th line & thinks he should be on the 3rd. Part of the reason they are the best 4th line in hockey is because all of them have accepted their roles & embace it! Thorts is the best 4th liner in hockey, because he's the "perfect team guy" his talk with Seguin last yr when Tyler replaced him was one that shows his character. It's not always about raw talent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton : You're not going to be better if the guy plays on the 4th line & thinks he should be on the 3rd. Part of the reason they are the best 4th line in hockey is because all of them have accepted their roles & embace it! Thorts is the best 4th liner in hockey, because he's the "perfect team guy" his talk with Seguin last yr when Tyler replaced him was one that shows his character. It's not always about raw talent.
    Posted by nitemare-38

You are assuming this more talented than Thornton player is wanting to be on the third line, and is not embracing his role and not bringing energy and not being a team guy.  What if he is?  Is it an improvement then?  I'm arguing that those qualities are easier to find than skill. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Last night on Hockey Night in Canada when they showed him chirping to all the Toronto players it really put into persepective how important he is to the team. If you're an 18 year old kid that is 5'10 160 lbs. chances are you're not gonna want to play against a player like Thornton. Plain and simple the B's won't find a player for the league minimum that's as good as Thornton. I think a quote from last year in the playoffs really sums up his attitude. When he was asked how much pressure he felt in game seven he responded with, " Like my buddy once said, ‘Pressure is five kids, no job.’ This is just fun. Game 7. Just drink it in, as they say.”  Or how about when he was asked about his biggest imporvements in the offseason,  “I cut my hair.”
    Posted by dalexander2424

I agree Dale it was a site to behold to see him chirping at the Leafs. It reminded me of the days that fights would break out during warm ups. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton :  How could they not be better?  It baffles me that the question is even asked.  If you upgrade the skill you make the line better and you make the team better.  No brainer.   
    Posted by scooter244

I am not sure this is true. Would it be true that our first line/team would be better if we added skill by trading Lucic for Kessel?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

i agree with legion, it's a team game and there are a lot to be said for team chemistry and thornton plays a big part in that. Skill is a great thing and you need it to win games. But you also need chemistry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton : You are assuming this more talented than Thornton player is wanting to be on the third line, and is not embracing his role and not bringing energy and not being a team guy.  What if he is?  Is it an improvement then?  I'm arguing that those qualities are easier to find than skill. 
    Posted by scooter244

You're comments are those of someone who doesn't know anything about hockey. If you ever played hockey you would understand that the emotional aspect of the game is just as important as the skill aspect. Do you really think replacing a player like Thornton who adds energy and leadership and emotion with someone who's not yet ready such as Caron would make a difference? If you remember last year the first shift Thornton had in the Finals basically single-handedly turned that series around. I bet you were someone who wanted Boston to have a parade when Bourque won the Stanley Cup in Colorado weren't you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Scooter, dalex2424 is just trying to steal your numbers and cannot count. We've all noted your experience in many posts, and since I've been involved in hockey, in every role, for more than 60 years, having increased skill is definitely more desirable. Indicating that Detroit doesn't have a productive 4th line is rather naive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Posted by scooter244

It's a legitimate question .  Myself and you are not behind the bench nor in upper management.  I think PC, Julien and even Neely know what's better for the team than you and I .
    If they felt by adding a more talented player than Thorton and play Thornton minutes was better for the team why is it they've been  re-upping his contract now for 3-4 years ?
    Could it be that they're right and you're wrong by replacing Thorton with someone that has more talent is not a good move ?
    Sure on paper I would agree also but it just isn't so.  Seems like Thorton has his place on this team and they like it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

You're right BsL , we are merely expressing our perceptions. We also have wondered why Pouliot rather than Caron. They obviously have their objectives.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton : I am not sure this is true. Would it be true that our first line/team would be better if we added skill by trading Lucic for Kessel?
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Why Kessel?  Why not somebody who ins't lazy and is somewhat intelligent?  Not fair.  If it is somebody with faster legs and better playmaking ability but doesn't fight like looch, maybe. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

The 4th-line is fine just the way it is, thank you very much.  Dan Paille, Greg Campbell, and Shawn Thornton make-up the ideal 4th-line. For all those people who are talking about adding skill to this 4th-line and making changes, go back and watch games 4, 5 and 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and watch how effective they were in their roles -- the way this unit reaced havoc when it was on the ice, and how it kept the puck in Vancouver's end the majority of the time, while they were on the ice. Btw, Give Coach Claude Julien a little credit too, there's a reason why he's kept this line together for so long -- they're very effective. Remember this old cliche when thinking of the B's veteran 4th-line, "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton : It's a legitimate question .  Myself and you are not behind the bench nor in upper management.  I think PC, Julien and even Neely know what's better for the team than you and I . If they felt by adding a more talented player than Thorton and play Thornton minutes was better for the team why is it they've been  re-upping his contract now for 3-4 years ? Could it be that they're right and you're wrong by replacing Thorton with someone that has more talent is not a good move ? Sure on paper I would agree also but it just isn't so.  Seems like Thorton has his place on this team and they like it.
    Posted by BsLegion

I will and do defer to PC and Claude.  They know there stuff.  Can't argue there.   There is a loyalty factor that is in play here too.  He's not killing the team so he stays.  This is all good while riding a 14 game hot streak.   If goals start to dry up, then keeping the mascot isn't as easy.  The real test will be when Thronton's contract expires.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think the B's gotta keep him around for an other year or two, as his leadership is needed on this young team. Once the core develops into a veteran team, they'll probably be able to get a more skilled 4th line that can score more. But for now, the scoring for the top 3 lines will have to do.
    If they can find some guys that are just as solid physically, can play just as good defense, but supply more offense, I'm all for changes.
    Getting rid of Thornton would have to be an offseason move, not a mid-season move. You can't shake up your locker room like that in the middle of a season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

One thing that you can't ignore in the Thornton debate is that the voices of poeple who are 'in the know' (coaches, teammates, media) seem to be unanimous in praising the guy's value to the team.  Like many here, there I nights when I wish they would fill his spot with another skill player, but I am also hesitant to ignore what everbody close to the team seems to think.  I still hear well-respected members of the media claiming that Thornton played a huge role in the Stanley Cup turnaround and that he has a very significant role on this team. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this guy, and I have kind of waffled back and forth.  But there doesn't seem to be any debate from the Bruins inner circle.  They love this guy.  Who am I to argue?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton : I will and do defer to PC and Claude.  They know there stuff.  Can't argue there.   There is a loyalty factor that is in play here too.  He's not killing the team so he stays.  This is all good while riding a 14 game hot streak.   If goals start to dry up, then keeping the mascot isn't as easy.  The real test will be when Thronton's contract expires.   
    Posted by scooter244

99% of the time if you ask any fan that question they'll choose playerA over Thornton and I agree with your thinking.  Although in this case there has to be more than our eyes can see and I've accepted their decision.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton : You're comments are those of someone who doesn't know anything about hockey. If you ever played hockey you would understand that the emotional aspect of the game is just as important as the skill aspect. Do you really think replacing a player like Thornton who adds energy and leadership and emotion with someone who's not yet ready such as Caron would make a difference? If you remember last year the first shift Thornton had in the Finals basically single-handedly turned that series around. I bet you were someone who wanted Boston to have a parade when Bourque won the Stanley Cup in Colorado weren't you?
    Posted by dalexander2424[/Q

The Miller lite beer league doesn't really count as hockey, you know.
    Skill is a harder commodity to find than energy.  Anybody can have energy, and most importantly anybody can bring energy, especially if you play 6 minutes a game. There are 100 Shawn Thornton's out there waiting to show their stuff. 
    What does Bourque have to do with any of this?  Try to stay relevant. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

One thing that you can't ignore in the Thornton debate is that the voices of poeple who are 'in the know' (coaches, teammates, media) seem to be unanimous in praising the guy's value to the team.  Like many here, there I nights when I wish they would fill his spot with another skill player, but I am also hesitant to ignore what everbody close to the team seems to think.  I still hear well-respected members of the media claiming that Thornton played a huge role in the Stanley Cup turnaround and that he has a very significant role on this team.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this guy, and I have kind of waffled back and forth.  But there doesn't seem to be any debate from the Bruins inner circle.  They love this guy.  Who am I to argue?
    Posted by Fletcher1

Bottom line.  Well put.
    What we do around here is toss opinions on a subject that we observe from a distance.  In many ways we are missing key components of the decision making process.  My feelings on Thornton are in no way based on the relationships he has with the players and coaches, and that must be factored in. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm on record as not being a huge fan of his, but he is more than a skating clown, and I noted him in my players who force you to change your opinions of them thread. He does bring a lot to a very well defined role.

To what Fletch eloquently stated...
    Agree with the fact that coaches and players seem to really hold him in high esteem. That carries infinitely more weight than some hack-wannabe GM hiding behind a keyboard (read:me). So with that said, bravo to you, Mr. Thornton, Sir.

Sections
Shortcuts