Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Shawn Thornton

Thornton has been playing great.  Beat the snot out of Rinaldo.  Scores a huge goal against the Sens.

"Really, MeanE?  I hadn't noticed."

That is exactly what you want from a skating clown.  Zero complaints about
    Thornton this season so far from me.

I remember some were bent about his contract and being knocked out by John Scott.  $1.1M to show up
    every game and quietly get the job done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton

He has had a good couple of games to be sure. No complaints from me there. In order to get everyone off his back, however, he needs to consistently play like that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

All good until he was nice enough to ask Mr. Neil if he injured CK on purpose. Just sickening...seriously

ST - hey did you do that on purpose?

CN - ummm, no way

ST- OK , good thing otherwise you'd be in big trouble. I accept your answer as thruthful

made me want to p uke

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I don't know JWensink. ST, an honorable man, probably knows CN is an honorable man, therefore believes him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Chris Neil is a bum, but still saw nothing to suggest that the hit on Kelly was intentional.  Wensink always calls for a hysterical reaction to any situation, and it's the same way he reacts to any challange here.

That was a marginal play in a very close divisional game.  Shawn Thornton, while he should be more aggressive in general, would have been dumb to come flailing off the bench and take a bunch of penalties in a Wensink-style tantrum.

The Bruins got the points.  Injuries happen.  Hope Kelly is okay.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He hasn't been a major defensive liability, like many fourth liners tend to be.

I'd much rather have Thornton than Ryan White or Colby Armstrong!

(Not an endorsement of Thornton by any stretch, but there are worse options.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

NAS admits Thornton's not so bad. I like it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

The conversation with CN is a non-issue.  The hit warrented no retaliation in a close divisional game.   Good professional judgement from ST.  IMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

As I've mentioned too many times before I go to a lot of Avs games, and let me tell you that in the comparison of goons, Thornton is a lot better than many after watching Bordeleau play out here.

For me as well, this is not an endorsement of Thornton who I think is a very mixed bag and should be a scratch more often than he is.  But Bordeleau is has the "awful player and a complete gentlemen enforcer" combination ten times greater than Thornton.  Horrible skater, only fights goons, politely asks for fights, and doesn't respond to cheap shots on the his star players.  Probably a great guy -- useless on the ice.  

Amid the many posts about Neil today, it strikes me that you really want someone between Thornton and Neil.  You want someone willing to go with anyone, who's honest and won't be throwing cheapshots all over the place, but you also want someone who can have an impact in every game.  When you're a modestly skilled goon type, you've got to be a bit of a d*ck to have an impact in every game.  I want a goon, who throws hard hits on skill players, snows the goalie, aggravates people, and generaly plays mean and angry.  

Thornton doesn't really do this very often, but I think that's why he was so effective against Vancouver -- he lost the nice guy routine.  I heard that he asked Bieksa if he wanted to fight every single shift he had, which had to get tiring for Bieksa.  He went after anyone who got near Thomas, he crashed the net hard, he snowed Luongo, he browbeat the Canucks bench at every opportunity.  It was great.  If you can't contribute with skill, do that stuff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

Thornton has been playing great.  Beat the snot out of Rinaldo.  Scores a huge goal against the Sens.

"Really, MeanE?  I hadn't noticed."

That is exactly what you want from a skating clown.  Zero complaints about
    Thornton this season so far from me.

I remember some were bent about his contract and being knocked out by John Scott.  $1.1M to show up
    every game and quietly get the job done.

Forth line was definetly best line last night

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

NAS admits Thornton's not so bad. I like it.

Surely you all have noticed that I did a cut & paste job of Nas's Johnny Boychuk post!  LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

He's better than Lane MacDermind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

WHy not  have Thornton (THE GOON) just fight the first five opposing players that line up against him and get it all over with. He's a loose cannon anyway, so what is the difference??? He went after a player that was handing out legal checks in the last game. And, don't forget, his only job is to hurt, maim and injure opposing players.  Which brings up the question once again---" is this hockey or roller derby"??"??

UNfortunately, the NHL rules allow this sideshow to continue, but it is time for Shanahan and the NHL to get a handle on this or it will remain a "friday night beer League".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to OrrandShore's comment:

WHy not  have Thornton (THE GOON) just fight the first five opposing players that line up against him and get it all over with. He's a loose cannon anyway, so what is the difference??? He went after a player that was handing out legal checks in the last game. And, don't forget, his only job is to hurt, maim and injure opposing players.  Which brings up the question once again---" is this hockey or roller derby"??"??

UNfortunately, the NHL rules allow this sideshow to continue, but it is time for Shanahan and the NHL to get a handle on this or it will remain a "friday night beer League".

Again? This is your third post!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Hockey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Noone can dispute that Thornton is a good teammate; good in the dressing room; good for the Reynaldo cheap shots; but, that's it as a hockey player. He is and always has been a drag on the 4th line just like he nearly wiped out Paille last night. He should be Claude's 7th forward, filling in when it's necessary, not every night. The Bruins went 7 games without a fight before Buffalo clocked Thorny in the first minute. Pandolfo is much better skilled overall , and can fill in on the PK quite well, as he has shown. However Claude loves him, so someone else will have to instigate Thorny's demise. Last night, in the first period, was the best night so far for the 4th line. Hopefully Campbell and Paille will be provided with more skill as the season progresses. Campbell was out of gas at the end of last night's game. He truly gives his all every night, covering all areas of the ice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I think OrrandShore needs to follow a different sport.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Noone can dispute that Thornton is a good teammate; good in the dressing room; good for the Reynaldo cheap shots; but, that's it as a hockey player. He is and always has been a drag on the 4th line just like he nearly wiped out Paille last night. He should be Claude's 7th forward, filling in when it's necessary, not every night. The Bruins went 7 games without a fight before Buffalo clocked Thorny in the first minute. Pandolfo is much better skilled overall , and can fill in on the PK quite well, as he has shown. However Claude loves him, so someone else will have to instigate Thorny's demise. Last night, in the first period, was the best night so far for the 4th line. Hopefully Campbell and Paille will be provided with more skill as the season progresses. Campbell was out of gas at the end of last night's game. He truly gives his all every night, covering all areas of the ice.

I think you meant 13th.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I haven't been particularly impressed with Pandolfo. But that's just me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

In response to bogie6's comment:

I think you meant 13th.

Maybe he meant 7th, as in he is so versatile that he can fill in as the 7th D man.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think Chris Neil is a bum, but still saw nothing to suggest that the hit on Kelly was intentional.  Wensink always calls for a hysterical reaction to any situation, and it's the same way he reacts to any challange here.

That was a marginal play in a very close divisional game.  Shawn Thornton, while he should be more aggressive in general, would have been dumb to come flailing off the bench and take a bunch of penalties in a Wensink-style tantrum.

The Bruins got the points.  Injuries happen.  Hope Kelly is okay.

"That was a marginal play in a very close divisional game"

You are delusional, and I never said he should come off the bench and take penalties- more lies from the liar. I thought it was embarressing to ask Neil if he did it on purpose- like he was going to give an honest answer. What would be the posssible outcome of that situation? That's just plain idiotic. I've defended ST at every turn for what he brings to this team. Last night he acted like a moron.

"Wensink always calls for a hysterical reaction to any situation, and it's the same way he reacts to any challange here."

More lies- show me where I called for a reaction. You are to the point where you'll just make sh1t up .

"and it's the same way he reacts to any challange here."

OK I answered your "challenge" honestly. Lets see you put up the quote where I called for a hysterical reaction. Or, do you just pump out BS fulltime now ?

And for the record- it was intentional without qusetion. He lifted his leg and targeted Kelly's knee. But that would require honesty and understanding of how somebody would do something like that- you obviously lack both. I guess we'll just call my reponding to your "challenge" a tantrum so you can avoid the facts -

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think he's brutal. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

100 plus!  Starting again now!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't know if the hit was intentional or not. My gut tells me no. But look who did it. I do know that Chris Neil didn't wait to see what Matt Cooke had to say before going after him.

As far as goons go, Thornton is one of the better ones, but like I've always said, come playoff time I really don't see a need for him in the line up. Maybe insert him into the line up if something happens the game before.

Sections
Shortcuts