Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton

In response to JWensink's comment:

And for the record- it was intentional without qusetion. He lifted his leg and targeted Kelly's knee. But that would require honesty and understanding of how somebody would do something like that- you obviously lack both. I guess we'll just call my reponding to your "challenge" a tantrum so you can avoid the facts -

I look forward to Shanny ruling on a suspension then. I hate Neil as a player but I don't think the play was dirty "without question".

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to OrrandShore's comment:

WHy not  have Thornton (THE GOON) just fight the first five opposing players that line up against him and get it all over with. He's a loose cannon anyway, so what is the difference??? He went after a player that was handing out legal checks in the last game. And, don't forget, his only job is to hurt, maim and injure opposing players.  Which brings up the question once again---" is this hockey or roller derby"??"??

UNfortunately, the NHL rules allow this sideshow to continue, but it is time for Shanahan and the NHL to get a handle on this or it will remain a "friday night beer League".

100 plus!  Starting again now!

You would've missed Cedfano if you would've followed that rule.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I think he's brutal. 

He may be brutal in your eyes.  However, he has his name on the Stanley Cup twice.  Something that I don't think any poster on these boards can claim and I don't think they put an asterix next to his name indicating that he is a skating clown.  I find it interesting that all of the players, coaches, and management that many of you respect, have nothing but good, positive things to say about Shawn, yet the BDC board knows better.

It's so easy for us keyboard warriors to say that he sucks and has no talent.  The Sports Hub needs to do a Thornton challenge when Shawn retires like they did with Scalbrine. He would make all of you look foolish on the ice, whether you want to go skill competition, one-on-one, fight, etc...  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

100 plus!  Starting again now!

The irony is he named himself after Eddie Shore, regarded by many as one of the most violent players in the history of the game, and certainly one of the toughest fighters of his era.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

I think he's brutal. 

He may be brutal in your eyes.  However, he has his name on the Stanley Cup twice.  Something that I don't think any poster on these boards can claim and I don't think they put an asterix next to his name indicating that he is a skating clown.  I find it interesting that all of the players, coaches, and management that many of you respect, have nothing but good, positive things to say about Shawn, yet the BDC board knows better.

It's so easy for us keyboard warriors to say that he sucks and has no talent.  The Sports Hub needs to do a Thornton challenge when Shawn retires like they did with Scalbrine. He would make all of you look foolish on the ice, whether you want to go skill competition, one-on-one, fight, etc...  

I've always agreed with this logic even when I am low on Thornton.  Sure players and coaches support each other, but the unwavering support for Thronton comes from every corner of the people who are closest to the team.  Players, coaches, and media guys who cover the team all seem to think that he helps them win and rave about his impact.  Hard to argue with that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I've always agreed with this logic even when I am low on Thornton.  Sure players and coaches support each other, but the unwavering support for Thronton comes from every corner of the people who are closest to the team.  Players, coaches, and media guys who cover the team all seem to think that he helps them win and rave about his impact.  Hard to argue with that.

I'll have to agree with you guys too. His teammates and coaches are the ones Thornton needs to look in the eye after games. If they respect and appreciate him then it doesn't matter if I do (even less so for Shupe).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

I think he's brutal. 

He does have it twice and Cam as a player 0.  Where is the logic in that.  He was a player that was fortunate to be a part of two winning teams.  His efforts in Duck land for that cup limited.  His efforts in Boston a little more but still very minimal.  He's putting anice career in the NHL.  I've indicated before that he is obviously a leader in the room.   Most of the teams tough guys seem to be.  Likely bc of the route they had to get there. 

I played against Jody Shelley and PJ Stock in my university days.  Derek Cormier who never played one minute in the NHL would make him look foolish.  Scott Cherry(NHL Linesman and former 2nd round pick of the Captials) would absolutey make him look foolish.  3/4 of the team I played on were 100% better ocky players.  Mike Eagles practiced with us during the lock out many yrs ago and he would have been our 3rd line center. 

I see a guy in ST who did what was needed to make the NHL so good on him.  Jody Shelley same thing.  It doesn't change the fact that he is a terrible hockey player and would not be in the league if fighting was banned. 

I will take him up on the 1 on 1 challenge. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Hey, look everyone - null's back.

*clicks ignore*

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Hey, look everyone - null's back.

*clicks ignore*

Might take the heat off me for a while.  :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Weeble wozzle

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

You are all correct, I should have said 13th, but, age does cause some blips once in a while. It's because , as mentioned, all areas of the bruins support Thornton, that I suggest 13th where Claude can decide game by game when his particular capabilities are valuable or superfluous.  good luck Claude

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

He does have it twice and Cam as a player 0.  Where is the logic in that.  He was a player that was fortunate to be a part of two winning teams.  His efforts in Duck land for that cup limited.  His efforts in Boston a little more but still very minimal.  He's putting anice career in the NHL.  I've indicated before that he is obviously a leader in the room.   Most of the teams tough guys seem to be.  Likely bc of the route they had to get there. 

I played against Jody Shelley and PJ Stock in my university days.  Derek Cormier who never played one minute in the NHL would make him look foolish.  Scott Cherry(NHL Linesman and former 2nd round pick of the Captials) would absolutey make him look foolish.  3/4 of the team I played on were 100% better ocky players.  Mike Eagles practiced with us during the lock out many yrs ago and he would have been our 3rd line center. 

I see a guy in ST who did what was needed to make the NHL so good on him.  Jody Shelley same thing.  It doesn't change the fact that he is a terrible hockey player and would not be in the league if fighting was banned. 

I will take him up on the 1 on 1 challenge. 

You can downplay his role all you want.  Fact is he is a Stanley Cup Champion on not 1 but 2 different teams!  He must just have a rabbitt's foot lodged up his rear.  If he is obviously a leader in the room and the team won a stanley cup, I believe you should give him more credit then just being fortunate.  

Should we all start mentioning who we all played with and how so and so would make him look foolish.   If the above mentioned players were so good, why didn't they or aren't they in the show.  Do they lack the sack?

I would love to be able to see that, so that he could embarass you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

MeanE,

Many plugs have their name on the cup.  Numerous amounts of them.  I don't think that makes them a great hockey player.  He's in the league to fight not for anything else but.  To me its an insult bc of the guys I played with who werent fighters but could play. 
    I normally don't put my hockey resume on here and don't plan on talking about it further.  But Jody Shelley who I think is as good as ST was terrible in my league.  I played against much much better players then ST.  MUCH MUCH BETTER. Also played with MUCH MUCH better.  Former Bruin Glen Murray being one. 

I gave him credit for being able to throw a punch and take one.  But his skating and hockey skills are brutal.  I think as Fletch and Dez pointed out what his value is and I said this before as well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Shupe, I disagree that Shelley is as good as Thornton. That's all I have to say. I don't think they are remotely close in skill level in either respect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

lamdda,

ST skating is not great.  Shelley is painful to watch.  PJ Stock great little skater.  I think ST skill hands are better.  So yes I agree with ST is a better player  But not in a landslide

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I still think they are not even in the same ball park. I also don't like Shelley. I don't think he has good leadership qualities (at least not that I've heard) and I would have no interest in having him on our team because he is a liability a la Scott.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

MeanE,

Many plugs have their name on the cup.  Numerous amounts of them.  I don't think that makes them a great hockey player.  He's in the league to fight not for anything else but.  To me its an insult bc of the guys I played with who werent fighters but could play. 
    I normally don't put my hockey resume on here and don't plan on talking about it further.  But Jody Shelley who I think is as good as ST was terrible in my league.  I played against much much better players then ST.  MUCH MUCH BETTER. Also played with MUCH MUCH better.  Former Bruin Glen Murray being one. 

I gave him credit for being able to throw a punch and take one.  But his skating and hockey skills are brutal.  I think as Fletch and Dez pointed out what his value is and I said this before as well. 

So what you are telling me is that you are jealous.  

"He's in the league to fight, not for anything else but."  I can name plenty of guys that can fight that aren't in the league,  just like you and all your buddies.  You yourself have stated that he is a leader.  If he wasn't such a good leader, and can play the game a bit, Shawn would not have 470 games in the NHL.  Did you or any of your buddies take Tyler Seguin under their wing in his rookie season.  The answer is no.  The fact of the matter is that you and most of us on this board are all washed up and could never do what ST has done in his career.  Whether it is because you can't fight like him, skate like him, score like him, hit like him, or fight like him.  It doesn't matter.  You can continue to think that you and your buddies are better and should have his spot on a roster.  The fact is, if you or any of them were good enough, they would have a job in the show, just like ST does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qieRRrtMu6s

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Should you change your call name.  Eddie Shore was every thing you dislike about Thornton.  He had great skills for his time period but yikes....

WHy not  have Thornton (THE GOON) just fight the first five opposing players that line up against him and get it all over with. He's a loose cannon anyway, so what is the difference??? He went after a player that was handing out legal checks in the last game. And, don't forget, his only job is to hurt, maim and injure opposing players.  Which brings up the question once again---" is this hockey or roller derby"??"??

UNfortunately, the NHL rules allow this sideshow to continue, but it is time for Shanahan and the NHL to get a handle on this or it will remain a "friday night beer League".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

MeanE,

I knew you were gonna go there.  To be blunt I'm wasn't anywhere near good enough to play in the NHL or AHL. I did play a very good brand and played in the CHL for a cup of coffee before my current job came.  I feel badly for guys I played with who desrevd a chance(Boyce who played at UNB is another good example).  Scott Cherry was everything you could want in a hockey player but bc he didnt fight he couldnt stick.  He's now a linesman in the NHL  Thats a guy I felt bad for.  Not me.  I just loved the game and went where it took me.  Murray has a bit better resume minus the cups then ST. 

You are correct on all accounts regarding his career which I pointed out.  But his hockey skill isnt better then the guys I played with, his skating isn't better (at all), his fighting certainly was.  He's a skating plug who has leadership qualities and is well liked.  Parros, BizNasty etc etc...all great guys and loved by team mates.  Loved! 
    On a pure basis of hockey skill he is not very good and if he couldnt fight he would be selling insurance or whatever.  BUT, he made it doing what he knows best(fighting).
    There are numerous guys in the NHL that dont deserve to be and most of them never see a minute of playoff action.  Westgarth for example last year. 
    You used fighting twice.  And thats what he is good at.  And there is a place for that and always will be. 

I agree on the washed up part. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The country is jammed full of guys who were plenty skilled enough, but never played at this level.  That really isn't any kind of a reasonable argument.  I'm not sure that being fortunate enough to be traded to champions is any kind of proof to someones stock either.  Any of us that played at a fairly high level know a few who made it, and lots who coulda/shoulda.  Like every other occupation that results in promotion through multiple levels, there are a ton of subjectives along the way.

Personally, I find this topic as tiresome as "eharmony trade threads".  Whenever this guys name is mentioned, things derail.  It's anything but a given that someone else would be an upgrade.  There are scads of intangibles.  Unless someone figures the hockey ops people are buffoons, there's probably pretty solid logic as to why this guy is around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

MeanE,

I knew you were gonna go there.  To be blunt I'm wasn't anywhere near good enough to play in the NHL or AHL. I did play a very good brand and played in the CHL for a cup of coffee before my current job came.  I feel badly for guys I played with who desrevd a chance(Boyce who played at UNB is another good example).  Scott Cherry was everything you could want in a hockey player but bc he didnt fight he couldnt stick.  He's now a linesman in the NHL  Thats a guy I felt bad for.  Not me.  I just loved the game and went where it took me.  Murray has a bit better resume minus the cups then ST. 

You are correct on all accounts regarding his career which I pointed out.  But his hockey skill isnt better then the guys I played with, his skating isn't better (at all), his fighting certainly was.  He's a skating plug who has leadership qualities and is well liked.  Parros, BizNasty etc etc...all great guys and loved by team mates.  Loved! 
    On a pure basis of hockey skill he is not very good and if he couldnt fight he would be selling insurance or whatever.  BUT, he made it doing what he knows best(fighting).
    There are numerous guys in the NHL that dont deserve to be and most of them never see a minute of playoff action.  Westgarth for example last year. 
    You used fighting twice.  And thats what he is good at.  And there is a place for that and always will be. 

I agree on the washed up part. 

Every team in every sport is made up of roles.  ST knows his role.  If he couldn't fight he would not be in the NHL.  That is a fact.  However, he does know how to fight.  It's not good enough in today's NHL to be a Goon.  You need to be able to do other things well.  Shawn obviously excels at being a leader.  Shawn also has enough skill that he has remained in the league for so long, where other fighters haven't.    If I recall correctly, Shawn started as a defenseman, wasn't effective and adapted.  I have played sports with guys that were very talented, but they didn't have inside of them what Shawn Thornton does.  That's why guys like Scott Cherry is a linesman and not a player.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

The country is jammed full of guys who were plenty skilled enough, but never played at this level.  That really isn't any kind of a reasonable argument.  I'm not sure that being fortunate enough to be traded to champions is any kind of proof to someones stock either.  Any of us that played at a fairly high level know a few who made it, and lots who coulda/shoulda.  Like every other occupation that results in promotion through multiple levels, there are a ton of subjectives along the way.

Personally, I find this topic as tiresome as "eharmony trade threads".  Whenever this guys name is mentioned, things derail.  It's anything but a given that someone else would be an upgrade.  There are scads of intangibles.  Unless someone figures the hockey ops people are buffoons, there's probably pretty solid logic as to why this guy is around.

The Bruins were champions when he was traded to Boston?  The Ducks were champions before he got there?  What did I miss?  

25. This post has been removed.