Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton

In response to stevegm's comment:

The country is jammed full of guys who were plenty skilled enough, but never played at this level.  That really isn't any kind of a reasonable argument.  I'm not sure that being fortunate enough to be traded to champions is any kind of proof to someones stock either.  Any of us that played at a fairly high level know a few who made it, and lots who coulda/shoulda.  Like every other occupation that results in promotion through multiple levels, there are a ton of subjectives along the way.

Personally, I find this topic as tiresome as "eharmony trade threads".  Whenever this guys name is mentioned, things derail.  It's anything but a given that someone else would be an upgrade.  There are scads of intangibles.  Unless someone figures the hockey ops people are buffoons, there's probably pretty solid logic as to why this guy is around.

^Thank you.  The best answer is probably the simpliest here.  He seems to help the team more nights than not, in the judgement of the people in charge (who seem to know what they are doing).

And no more "If there wasn't fighting in the league, then..." comments please .  There is fighting.  Hypotheticals are not so useful here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If Woody had gone straight to the police, none of this would have happened.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I haven't been particularly impressed with Pandolfo. But that's just me.

and me

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

MeanE,

I knew you were gonna go there.  To be blunt I'm wasn't anywhere near good enough to play in the NHL or AHL. I did play a very good brand and played in the CHL for a cup of coffee before my current job came.  I feel badly for guys I played with who desrevd a chance(Boyce who played at UNB is another good example).  Scott Cherry was everything you could want in a hockey player but bc he didnt fight he couldnt stick.  He's now a linesman in the NHL  Thats a guy I felt bad for.  Not me.  I just loved the game and went where it took me.  Murray has a bit better resume minus the cups then ST. 

You are correct on all accounts regarding his career which I pointed out.  But his hockey skill isnt better then the guys I played with, his skating isn't better (at all), his fighting certainly was.  He's a skating plug who has leadership qualities and is well liked.  Parros, BizNasty etc etc...all great guys and loved by team mates.  Loved! 
    On a pure basis of hockey skill he is not very good and if he couldnt fight he would be selling insurance or whatever.  BUT, he made it doing what he knows best(fighting).
    There are numerous guys in the NHL that dont deserve to be and most of them never see a minute of playoff action.  Westgarth for example last year. 
    You used fighting twice.  And thats what he is good at.  And there is a place for that and always will be. 

I agree on the washed up part. 

Every team in every sport is made up of roles.  ST knows his role.  If he couldn't fight he would not be in the NHL.  That is a fact.  However, he does know how to fight.  It's not good enough in today's NHL to be a Goon.  You need to be able to do other things well.  Shawn obviously excels at being a leader.  Shawn also has enough skill that he has remained in the league for so long, where other fighters haven't.    If I recall correctly, Shawn started as a defenseman, wasn't effective and adapted.  I have played sports with guys that were very talented, but they didn't have inside of them what Shawn Thornton does.  That's why guys like Scott Cherry is a linesman and not a player.  

I can agree with everything you said here.  And in todays league he likely is a player.  Timing is everything. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

There might be more threads dedicated to Thornton than any of the other B's players combined.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

There might be more threads dedicated to Thornton than any of the other B's players combined.

and those are the ones Shupe will inflate with posts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Let the record show that I didn't start this one.  In fact, I haven't started a thread dedicated to the clown this season!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Really, MeanE?  I hadn't noticed."

Another one who's lost it. Thornton beat Rinaldo up, uh oh look out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I don't think I have ever started a thread on him.  And I have actually backed him at times.  Most of the time I think hes useless

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

And I take offense to that.  I am not a ST troll.  Agree or Disagree I hope I bring more to the table then that...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

The country is jammed full of guys who were plenty skilled enough, but never played at this level.  That really isn't any kind of a reasonable argument.  I'm not sure that being fortunate enough to be traded to champions is any kind of proof to someones stock either.  Any of us that played at a fairly high level know a few who made it, and lots who coulda/shoulda.  Like every other occupation that results in promotion through multiple levels, there are a ton of subjectives along the way.

Personally, I find this topic as tiresome as "eharmony trade threads".  Whenever this guys name is mentioned, things derail.  It's anything but a given that someone else would be an upgrade.  There are scads of intangibles.  Unless someone figures the hockey ops people are buffoons, there's probably pretty solid logic as to why this guy is around.

The Bruins were champions when he was traded to Boston?  The Ducks were champions before he got there?  What did I miss?  

Connecting the dots properly.

Merely pointing out that those 2 cup rings are much more a result of "fate", than contribution.  Besides Neely, Brad Park, Rick Middleton, Terry O'Reilly, Jean Ratelle, Leo Boivan don't have their name on the Cup either.  Does that mean Swoop Carlton was somehow above them?

Has dick to do with their stamp on the game, or the team.

If names on the Cup matter, Henri Richard should have his own Hall of Fame.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Really, MeanE?  I hadn't noticed."

Another one who's lost it. Thornton beat Rinaldo up, uh oh look out.

San this post was a shot at not a shot, I copied his boychuk post.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sucks when you try to tell a joke and no one gets it, huh?

What a tool.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Personally I really like the guy but I must admit -- didn't feel comfortable when CJ put him out there with the score 2-1 vs Pens tonight -- not entirely his fault but within 15 seconds -- score tied 2-2. Only (-1) for the night but under 10 min TOI.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to zamboni24's comment:

Personally I really like the guy but I must admit -- didn't feel comfortable when CJ put him out there with the score 2-1 vs Pens tonight -- not entirely his fault but within 15 seconds -- score tied 2-2. Only (-1) for the night but under 10 min TOI.

Unless he's gooning it up, he serves no purpose.  But wait, he only fights with permission, so that serves no purpose either.  He's just an empty jersey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Unless he's gooning it up, he serves no purpose.  But wait, he only fights with permission, so that serves no purpose either.  He's just an empty jersey.

Just not true. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

What a tool.

You're so eloquent!  For the hundredth time, get over yourself BRO!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

What a tool.

You're so eloquent!  For the hundredth time, get over yourself BRO!

And yet im pegged black spider man. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Let the record show that I didn't start this one.  In fact, I haven't started a thread dedicated to the clown this season!

Thank you. A couple of years too late but we'll take it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

I think OrrandShore needs to follow a different sport.

Fighting is a sport by and of itself. When you introduce it to another sport, then you dilute the primary sport.  And, again it is too  bad the NHL allows this sideshow mentality to exist.  Hockey is very physical and injuries are part of the game, but allowing  GOONS to injure players is no longer a sport.  
          And, if fighting is so good for other sports, maybe it is time to add it to the NFL, NBA and MLB.  Heck why stop there, let's add it to tennis, bowling and skiing!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to OrrandShore's comment:

Fighting is a sport by and of itself. When you introduce it to another sport, then you dilute the primary sport.  And, again it is too  bad the NHL allows this sideshow mentality to exist.  Hockey is very physical and injuries are part of the game, but allowing  GOONS to injure players is no longer a sport.  
          And, if fighting is so good for other sports, maybe it is time to add it to the NFL, NBA and MLB.  Heck why stop there, let's add it to tennis, bowling and skiing!

Fighting has been a part of hockey since the beginning of the NHL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

I think OrrandShore needs to follow a different sport.

I saw a nice fight in the WBC game between Canada and Mexico....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

And yet im pegged black spider man. 

Be thankful....he is much cooler!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Shupe,  when I say inflate I didn't mean you started the threads .  I can always bet on a Thornton thread you will have minimum 5 posts. Got it Black Spidy ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Should you change your call name.  Eddie Shore was every thing you dislike about Thornton.  He had great skills for his time period but yikes....

WHy not  have Thornton (THE GOON) just fight the first five opposing players that line up against him and get it all over with. He's a loose cannon anyway, so what is the difference??? He went after a player that was handing out legal checks in the last game. And, don't forget, his only job is to hurt, maim and injure opposing players.  Which brings up the question once again---" is this hockey or roller derby"??"??

UNfortunately, the NHL rules allow this sideshow to continue, but it is time for Shanahan and the NHL to get a handle on this or it will remain a "friday night beer League".

Good point Islamorada,  but I like Eddie Shore because he was much more than a hockey player. When he retired from the game, he wasn't content to sell used cars, he created and OWNED his own hockey team. Not many can say that.  And he put together some teams that could/should have been in the NHL they were that good.