Shawn Thornton...boxer.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer.

I still laugh at the fact that NAS is the Brad Marchand of this board. He puts up goals while pissing off most of the board. And you know what, I find that NAS isn't the idiot, the ones that go on their period because of him are. Oh wait, I made another thread turn to NAS again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Gee" nitemare" I always thought you could read. My point is that Shawn's day is over, not that he was less than dedicated. This game has passed by limited skilled guys like Thornton and Colton Orr. They just don't add value. Shawn's next stop should be in the Bruins P.R. department. Once these limited guys are off the ice, the game will be back to what it should be, with each player sticking up for themselves, and their teammates, as Ference demonstrated quite well last season.With what might be termed the " Ference" attitude, among all teamates, Cooke will never get away with a hit like he put on Savard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer.:
    [QUOTE]Gee" nitemare" I always thought you could read. My point is that Shawn's day is over, not that he was less than dedicated. This game has passed by limited skilled guys like Thornton and Colton Orr. They just don't add value. Shawn's next stop should be in the Bruins P.R. department. Once these limited guys are off the ice, the game will be back to what it should be, with each player sticking up for themselves, and their teammates, as Ference demonstrated quite well last season.With what might be termed the " Ference" attitude, among all teamates, Cooke will never get away with a hit like he put on Savard.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    I disagree & bet the whole Bruins roster does as well!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Awesome commercial.  The deaths mentioned of the enforcers were mainly from depression and being blamed on job stress. Its called the real world. Its unfortunate, but don't blame the sport they loved. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Awesome commercial.  The deaths mentioned of the enforcers were mainly from depression and being blamed on job stress. Its called the real world. Its unfortunate, but don't blame the sport they loved. 
    Posted by bluefox70[/QUOTE]

There aren't too many 30 goal scorers eating guns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I'd like to remind everyone that the Bruins lost a great player a couple of decades ago because there was no-one around to help him (Harry?!).

This great player had to fight his own battles. In a situation like that, the wolves have the upper hand and the good ones go down.

Anyway, he's the President of the team now.

As long as other teams have gunslingers, we gotta have one, too. I'd hate to lose Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic or Horton because we don't have a gunslinger.

If the NHL outlaws gunslingers, then we won't get one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'd like to remind everyone that the Bruins lost a great player a couple of decades ago because there was no-one around to help him (Harry?!). This great player had to fight his own battles. In a situation like that, the wolves have the upper hand and the good ones go down. Anyway, he's the President of the team now. As long as other teams have gunslingers, we gotta have one, too. I'd hate to lose Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic or Horton because we don't have a gunslinger. If the NHL outlaws gunslingers, then we won't get one.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Jay Miller and Lyndon Byers might be a bit upset that you forgot about them.

More importantly:  Skating clowns fight each other.  They don't harm skilled players.  Pests fight middle weights at best.  With all of the puckey that players like Steve Ott or Jarkko Ruutu cause, they are the dangerous ones.  Shawn Thornton doesn't keep them in line any more than Chara does.  They do what they want and have to fight McQuaid, Campbell or Horton.

Thornton will do his skating clown routine with the other team's skating clown...but only if he accepts the invitation. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

I'd rather watch that commercial 100 times than the country music video about beer that features Josh Beckett, among others (well, except for the hot women part).  All things considered, it's a pretty interesting juxtaposition when you think about the grit and the direction, not necesseraily of those athletes, but of the two franchises. 

Anyhow, good to see winning the cup hasn't mellowed NAS at all...every side of the bed is still the wrong one for him when he wakes up.  That is news to me...that if you root for baseball team, you know next to nothing about hockey (wonder if Chris Drury got that memo).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather watch that commercial 100 times than the country music video about beer that features Josh Beckett, among others (well, except for the hot women part).  All things considered, it's a pretty interesting juxtaposition when you think about the grit and the direction, not necesseraily of those athletes, but of the two franchises.  Anyhow, good to see winning the cup hasn't mellowed NAS at all...every side of the bed is still the wrong one for him when he wakes up.  That is news to me...that if you root for baseball team, you know next to nothing about hockey (wonder if Chris Drury got that memo).
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]
    Nyjer Morgan of the Brewers played on a line with Boogard for Regina in the WHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : Nyjer Morgan of the Brewers played on a line with Boogard for Regina in the WHL.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

That's pretty awesome.  I wasn't aware of that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : You're talking foolish! Where & why does it make sense for a "skilled" player to be in the box? I love Lucic's & Horton's jam! I love they don't take anything from anyone; but if I have a choice of who I would want fighting it's not those two! It's already been proven that Lucic can fight; but he's not in the same league as a Colton Orr! Shawn Thornton isn't either; but IF there's someone I'd want taking on that kind of player it's Shawn! The guy is the epitome of a teammate & plays with his heart on his sleeve & plays every shift like it might be his last! I get so tired of these whiney babies who think just because the odd fight is staged. It's a travestry! There's far worse things going on in the dam league to be whining about!! Get OVER IT ALREADY you sound like a primadona who gets upset at the sight of blood!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Nite- Not trying to argue but when Orr put Lucic in his place a few yrs back who stood up for him?  There was a young player going toe to toe with one of the leagues biggest clown and not one of the Bruins mashers did anything.  This is when I seriously questioned Chara and Thorton.  I encourage you to look back in time and see who fought Orr the next game when he was running around at players.  I will save you the trip.  It was Begin.  Where the heck was Chara to say something in his face like the monster he is.  Where was Thorton to say not in our house not on my watch.  I wanna know when Thorton has ever come to the aid of a team mate in any situation similar that wasnt a staged fight. 
    Now, Thorton had a very good 1st half in regards to actual hockey numbers playing with Campy and Marchand.  But the best 4th line in the league was not putting up numbers the second half without the speed and skill of Brad riding shotgun.
    Does Thorton provide some leadership?  Yes.  But I have seen enough Bruins carted off to know that Thortons role means absolutely nothing.  DK, Bergie, Savy, etc etc still have been run and hurt.  Thortons presence.  I love that line.  His presence didnt prevent any of those players from getting hurt. 
    Again.  I will put a pay cheque up that he goes back to his career avg in stats. Will they resign him.  Sure they will.  And I don't mind.  But lets not make him into something that he isnt. Which is a hockey player.  Take fighting out and he is gone. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : I wanna know when Thorton has ever come to the aid of a team mate in any situation similar that wasnt a staged fight. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I can't recall any reactionary battles from Thornton.  I can actually recall more times that Savard jumped in, which is about at pathetic as anything I've ever thought about.

And Shupe, it's Thornton.  Driving me crazy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : I can't recall any reactionary battles from Thornton.  I can actually recall more times that Savard jumped in, which is about at pathetic as anything I've ever thought about. And Shupe, it's Thornton.  Driving me crazy!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Good thing I didnt spell his first name Sean or Shaun.  I wont say it was a type-o.  I thought that was how you spelt it.  I am now going to cut myself to get rid of the pain. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : Nite- Not trying to argue but when Orr put Lucic in his place a few yrs back who stood up for him?  There was a young player going toe to toe with one of the leagues biggest clown and not one of the Bruins mashers did anything.  This is when I seriously questioned Chara and Thorton.  I encourage you to look back in time and see who fought Orr the next game when he was running around at players.  I will save you the trip.  It was Begin.  Where the heck was Chara to say something in his face like the monster he is.  Where was Thorton to say not in our house not on my watch.  I wanna know when Thorton has ever come to the aid of a team mate in any situation similar that wasnt a staged fight.  Now, Thorton had a very good 1st half in regards to actual hockey numbers playing with Campy and Marchand.  But the best 4th line in the league was not putting up numbers the second half without the speed and skill of Brad riding shotgun. Does Thorton provide some leadership?  Yes.  But I have seen enough Bruins carted off to know that Thortons role means absolutely nothing.  DK, Bergie, Savy, etc etc still have been run and hurt.  Thortons presence.  I love that line.  His presence didnt prevent any of those players from getting hurt.  Again.  I will put a pay cheque up that he goes back to his career avg in stats. Will they resign him.  Sure they will.  And I don't mind.  But lets not make him into something that he isnt. Which is a hockey player.  Take fighting out and he is gone. 

I already know of two right off the bat! However; since your making your claim you can be the one that looks it up! I'm not doing your work for you. Tell me Shupe? When was Thornton back on the ice to fight Orr? Show me where CJ played Thornton after Savvy got rocked that Cooke was on the ice? I don't disagree with if take fighting out he's gone. That's an irrelevent point to make; because fighting is still in. And regardless of whether or not these players get your or NAS's blessing these "clowns" are still considered hockey players! And you two sound & act like clowns whenever you act like & sound like you're right & the whole world is wrong! Anytime these guys are asked on a legal document what they do for a living. They are allowed to say a hockey player! They don't have to say. "Well I'm a hockey player to every1 else; but to Shupe & Nas I'm a skating clown!"
    Most of the Bruins fans are glad Thorts is here & I bet all of the Bruins players are as well. In this argument the majority wins. As did the B's & Ducks with Thorts as a "hockey player"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

The ad is a metaphor.  A metaphor.

Does no one get that?

It's not about Shawn Thornton, or about boxing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : I already know of two right off the bat! However; since your making your claim you can be the one that looks it up! I'm not doing your work for you. Tell me Shupe? When was Thornton back on the ice to fight Orr? Show me where CJ played Thornton after Savvy got rocked that Cooke was on the ice? I don't disagree with if take fighting out he's gone. That's an irrelevent point to make; because fighting is still in. And regardless of whether or not these players get your or NAS's blessing these "clowns" are still considered hockey players! And you two sound & act like clowns whenever you act like & sound like you're right & the whole world is wrong! Anytime these guys are asked on a legal document what they do for a living. They are allowed to say a hockey player! They don't have to say. "Well I'm a hockey player to every1 else; but to Shupe & Nas I'm a skating clown!" Most of the Bruins fans are glad Thorts is here & I bet all of the Bruins players are as well. In this argument the majority wins. As did the B's & Ducks with Thorts as a "hockey player"

Nite- sticks and stones.  Don't take this up a notch to get a point.  To answer your question quickly.  Lucic and Orr tilt I believe was in the nd period.  So plenty of time in that game.  And if not how about a week later when they played again.  If Begin was on the ice to fight him wouldnt horton have had two minutes to line up a staged fight and show Lucic that his effort was appreciated?  Cooke hit on Savy was not could not have been stopped by ST.  His presence, his presence.  I laugh at this.  If his presence is to keep other players in line.  He has failed.  I havent seen his presence alter one of those hits.  And he fought Cooke which was a joke.  I think Cooke took his medicine and laughed.  Savy is done.  Cooke should be taken on every game.  But ST says its been dealt with.  Really?  Has it been? 
    Is Gillies or Orr a hockey player?  I guess employment record would say yes.  Last time I checked the object was to score more goals than the other team.  And have some role helping the team win a game.  How does Gillies 2 minutes of ice time influence the game of hockey.  It sickens me that a guy like Thornton has more rings than a HOFer like Cam/Hawerchuk  etc etc.  Right place at the right time.
    Pretty sure his influence in Anaheim was sitting on the bench.  I believe his role here is more defined as a leader but still.

Staged fighting is a waste of time.  Fighting in the heat of battle is 100% acceptable.  Yes I will watch the clowns fight.  But the side show circus isnt needed. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Thornton had a reactionary fight against Hamrlik? during the Montreal game on Feb 9th. Hamrlik made a comment to Thornton and Thornton went nuts. Not that it helps his case because it's Hamrlik. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Thornton had a reactionary fight against Hamrlik? during the Montreal game on Feb 9th. Hamrlik made a comment to Thornton and Thornton went nuts. Not that it helps his case because it's Hamrlik. 
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

At least it was based on emotion.  Not a tap on the rump by the coach. 

Anyway, Probert was one of my favorites of all time and he had more staged bouts than anyone.  But he was also a very good hockey player. 

Thornton has a leadership quality and I readily admit it.  I just think he is a skating clown is all.  Which in my eyes makes him the best of the clown variety

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Thornton had a reactionary fight against Hamrlik? during the Montreal game on Feb 9th. Hamrlik made a comment to Thornton and Thornton went nuts. Not that it helps his case because it's Hamrlik. 
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Callo,

How have ya been anyway. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : Nite- sticks and stones.  Don't take this up a notch to get a point.  To answer your question quickly.  Lucic and Orr tilt I believe was in the nd period.  So plenty of time in that game.  And if not how about a week later when they played again.  If Begin was on the ice to fight him wouldnt horton have had two minutes to line up a staged fight and show Lucic that his effort was appreciated?  Cooke hit on Savy was not could not have been stopped by ST.  His presence, his presence.  I laugh at this.  If his presence is to keep other players in line.  He has failed.  I havent seen his presence alter one of those hits.  And he fought Cooke which was a joke.  I think Cooke took his medicine and laughed.  Savy is done.  Cooke should be taken on every game.  But ST says its been dealt with.  Really?  Has it been?  Is Gillies or Orr a hockey player?  I guess employment record would say yes.  Last time I checked the object was to score more goals than the other team.  And have some role helping the team win a game.  How does Gillies 2 minutes of ice time influence the game of hockey.  It sickens me that a guy like Thornton has more rings than a HOFer like Cam/Hawerchuk  etc etc.  Right place at the right time. Pretty sure his influence in Anaheim was sitting on the bench.  I believe his role here is more defined as a leader but still. Staged fighting is a waste of time.  Fighting in the heat of battle is 100% acceptable.  Yes I will watch the clowns fight.  But the side show circus isnt needed. 
    Wait a minute? Who failed! Thortnon? No,no,no,no,no sir! That's not a failure on ST's part! That's a failure on the NHL's part! THEY are the ones who continue to fail! THEY are the ones who have control of the rules! IF the BOG's didn't go with that Idiot Gil Stein in the 1st place;  a player like Cooke never would've lasted in the league! IF the BOG's would've seen how it was "wide open on the stars!" with the instigator rule they wouldn't be in this whole head shot BS to begin with! Not to this extreme! It has NOTHING to do with fighting that these guys have been having issue's & killing themselves! It has to do with EVERTHING that these guys have a limited role & their hands are tied in the process! They have to make not only make sure they don't put their team down; but to make sure they DO SOMETHING that shows they earn their pay cheque! The role is dying & the the IDIOT role that Cooke plays is increasing!! Matt Cooke has it so that he's protected; but it's open season on the stars! The enforcers now have it where IF they're put into that role! They're FORCED to do SOMETHING to make sure THEY have a job! Let me ask you this Shupe. If it came down to YOU losing your job. (beside being a police officer) that's a job you have that I commend you for to the highest. However; if you had another that made you have sleepless nights & worry that on ANY given day you could lose to someone else. And if it took a text to send to someone so you could keep it? Would you not do it? NOW! We have Shananhan talking about taking it out of the game altogether? Who in all honesty is this going to protect more? Tyler Seguin, Patrice Bergeron or Matt Cooke!!
    Yes I'm sure the suspensions will be out in full force; but does it not only take the one shot to end a career? I honestly think the fans who call these guys skating clown just that. Are not passing the blame on the right people!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : Wait a minute? Who failed! Thortnon? No,no,no,no,no sir! That's not a failure on ST's part! That's a failure on the NHL's part! THEY are the ones who continue to fail! THEY are the ones who have control of the rules! IF the BOG's didn't go with that Idiot Gil Stein in the 1st place;  a player like Cooke never would've lasted in the league! IF the BOG's would've seen how it was "wide open on the stars!" with the instigator rule they wouldn't be in this whole head shot BS to begin with! Not to this extreme! It has NOTHING to do with fighting that these guys have been having issue's & killing themselves! It has to do with EVERTHING that these guys have a limited role & their hands are tied in the process! They have to make not only make sure they don't put their team down; but to make sure they DO SOMETHING that shows they earn their pay cheque! The role is dying & the the IDIOT role that Cooke plays is increasing!! Matt Cooke has it so that he's protected; but it's open season on the stars! The enforcers now have it where IF they're put into that role! They're FORCED to do SOMETHING to make sure THEY have a job! Let me ask you this Shupe. If it came down to YOU losing your job. (beside being a police officer) that's a job you have that I commend you for to the highest. However; if you had another that made you have sleepless nights & worry that on ANY given day you could lose to someone else. And if it took a text to send to someone so you could keep it? Would you not do it? NOW! We have Shananhan talking about taking it out of the game altogether? Who in all honesty is this going to protect more? Tyler Seguin, Patrice Bergeron or Matt Cooke!! Yes I'm sure the suspensions will be out in full force; but does it not only take the one shot to end a career? I honestly think the fans who call these guys skating clown just that. Are not passing the blame on the right people!

Nite- if they have a limited role(which I need a definition of) and their hands are tied(which likely is defined in their role) what use are they? 
    You will get no argument from me with the majority what you said.  The rules favor little rats like Cooke.  The Cooke insident is seperate from the Orr one.  Orr put a snot kicking on our young player.  Which should have been addressed by Chara or ST as soon as he got outta the box.  Didnt happen.  We had him on home ice a week later and Begin fights him.  What gives? 
    I would bet 95% of ST fights are staged against another guys clown.  Why not have them fight before the game starts or during an intermission so we can get it over with and then go back to watching hockey. 
    Its a trade that is going to be outta the league soon.  Goons will be eliminated in the next 10 yrs and replaced by guys who can play the game and can stick up for team mates.  I'm not saying the league has to be superstars.  But why is Gillies and Orr in this league?  And that is basiclally the class system ST is in. 
    I have said I think ST was valuable in the finals.  He was!  He threw the Gazoo's off their game.
    In terms of me and my job.  I have one one of the most stressfull jobs on earth.  No denying it.  I would dig ditches though to make a life for my family.  And thank you, I know you support what I do. 
    Heck, I would take ST spot at 39 if they let me.  2-3 yrs and set for life.  I get disgusted at sports contracts when I look at what they do and what I have to do at times.  I mean Glen murray is a good friend of mine.  Made 4.3 million for 4 yrs and had a very solid career.  Proud of him b/c small town Bridgewater there are very few that come outta the province for starters.  But there he is at 38(soon to be 39) and he is retired.  You, I and the majority will be battling it out daily to provide for our families.

Anyway, I am off topic.

Hired Goons!  :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how many times can the same discussion be had? really. it's like deja vu all over again...he's a "skating clown"... no he's a leader.... no he's a "skating clown"- didn't you hear me the first 10,000 times....but atleast he's our clown. basically everyone is wasting their breath, because pro-fighters will remain pro-fighters and anti-fighters will remain anti-fighters. doesn't seem like anyone has changed their opinions on the matter...and it's been discussed ad nauseum. the funny thing is, this topic will pop up about every two weeks for say... oh 8 months. you guys hash it, re-hash it, re-re-hash it and then again for good measure. snooze  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]how many times can the same discussion be had? really. it's like deja vu all over again...he's a "skating clown"... no he's a leader.... no he's a "skating clown"- didn't you hear me the first 10,000 times....but atleast he's our clown. basically everyone is wasting their breath, because pro-fighters will remain pro-fighters and anti-fighters will remain anti-fighters. doesn't seem like anyone has changed their opinions on the matter...and it's been discussed ad nauseum. the funny thing is, this topic will pop up about every two weeks for say... oh 8 months. you guys hash it, re-hash it, re-re-hash it and then again for good measure. snooze  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    Great 8 months eh?!?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

this place is nothing if not entertaining! occasionally things get out of hand, with name-calling/childishness(myself included), BUT, there is more good than bad by my count. i hope it's a great 8 months...culminating with a skate around the rink, with lord stanley once again. GO BRUINS!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : Callo, How have ya been anyway. 
    I have been great. Working a lot this summer in order to prepare for my shutdown which will start at 6 p.m. on Thursday. I have always tried to stay away from this nonsense this summer, not a lot to talk about. But, I am more than ready to tick everyone off. It'll make for a longggg winter/spring/ hopefully summer for all of you. How have you been?

Sections
Shortcuts