Shawn Thornton...boxer.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Shawn Thornton...boxer.

I despise this commercial with all my heart and soul. I can't believe that NESN/The B's are looking to promote (to steal from NaS) "skating clowndom". Especially in light of Boogard, Rypien, and Belak.

Whoever thought this up and decided it was good idea should not have a job.

Ugh.

the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW3eP_heoVI

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer.

Dude you think too hard ~ relax

I thought it was fantastic !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanbdm. Show seanbdm's posts

awesome

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Lots more people have died from Airplanes going down yet I still see a bunch of airline commercials...I wouldnt get too excited about a commercial.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Yeah, maybe you guys are right, but I can't stand that it has jack to do with hockey. It just paints Thornton as nothing more than a goon. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

It's terrible he is getting in shape and trying to sharpen the tools that got him a job in the nhl. He's a fighter/grinder. And if you listened to Thornton around the times of all the deaths he was pissed about people blaming fighting for the deaths.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I thought it was a cool commercial.  All the fight training in it has been part of pop culture since the Rocky movies.  It's not like he was bum fighting at a bar in Revere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Loved the comercial! Good for thorton getting some publicity! What would you rather have a comercial of big papi selling potato chips and people rapping about it? First time I saw that papi comcercial was last night on nesn after they were ousted. How approrpriate lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hockey plays:  2 seconds

Goonery:  28 seconds

SKATING CLOWN

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Interesting ad.  I think it works because of Thornton's personality, which is anything but one-dimensional.

He's got a great sense of irony and humor, so I'd say he doesn't mind at all putting on a bit of theater to serve as a metaphor for the Bs new season.  It's as if he's winking at us as he says his lines.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Honestly, boxing is a good workout too. Im sure it helps him stay in shape as much as it does hone his fisticuffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

loved it...the guy who will undoubtedly stickup for his teammates better be comfortable throwing down. if it was a commercial of him playing lawn jarts, i'd worry. the next bruins commercial is patrice bergeron's short program. he nails a triple axle at the end, it's awesome. on the goon-meter, thorty is the gretzky of goons. the bruins are known for their rough and tumble play, and this commercial was produced by NESN for bruins fans. i hope thornton was visualizing scott hartnall while hitting the bag...his time will come(hopefully first shift thursday night)! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer.:
    Hockey plays:  2 seconds Goonery:  28 seconds SKATING CLOWN
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

10 goals 10 assist a +8! Takes on all comers & diminishes Chara, Lucic & Horton from having to do more of it! I hope the B's resign him for 3 more yrs!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I think its a great commercial for all of the reasons listed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think its a great commercial for all of the reasons listed.
    Posted by bigvig

It's a commercial for boxing, not hockey. There isn't even a puck in the commercial.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think you're missing the message. It's the B's are the champs & if you think you're gonna take it; You're gonna have one hellva fight on your hands!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

seobrien... you must love the ovie commercials then, there are no pucks in them also. there is also no footage of actual hockey either, just the maniacal laugh of a russian head! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Yeah, Nite, I get that, and as they are "defending champions" can understand the message and appeal of it...I suppose. I just don't think it glorifies any aspect of the actual game of hockey, otherwise it would show him actually playing the game for more than two 1 second clips.

I guess it goes back to my belief that if 22 didn't punch people in the face, he wouldn't be in the NHL. It doesn't paint him as anything more than a Shelly, Brashear, or Colton Orr all of which are guys I can't stand.

But hey, if it gets everyone fired up for the B's defense of the Cup then so be it.

ADK, good point. They are both just shilling their products.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : It's a commercial for boxing, not hockey. There isn't even a puck in the commercial.
    Posted by seobrien

You're a liar. There is CLEARLY a puck in that ad at 15 seconds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OBIE, I am with you in spades. There is zero reason to promote fighting, and training as a boxer on the heavy and speed bags. This reinforces the "goon" mentality, and will add to the refs penalizing spontaneous fights that emerge from passion , rather than planning. Hockey is skating, shooting, puck possesion, teamwork, passing, all with the puck not the fists. Thornton is an honest man with a high degree of competitiveness, but that alone doesn't make him a good hockey player. He has filled a role for the Bruins, but, in an emerging era of speed snd skill, he is no longer necessary or vital to success for the Bruins. This ad is just plain stupid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

Hockey plays:  2 seconds Goonery:  28 seconds SKATING CLOWN
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

A lot of players use boxing as a method of training, Dan Paille included. So I don't know where you get 28 seconds of goonery, as there is 1 fight clip.  One could argue that this 'skating clown' saved the season last year providing a level of comfort and leadership to the team. And correct me if I'm wrong but he did that with out fighting. 

I don't claim to know the after effects of playing the enforcer role in the NHL but your smugness in insulting this guys role in his profession is getting ridiculous.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

If it was Chara riding his bike through the mountains it would still have nothing to do with hockey but would still be about preparation.  I'm dismayed that B's fans would find a problem with this ad.  Thinking that Thorty gets by just by just by punching people in the face is laughable (his name is on that cup more than once, unlike our skilled players).

Mentorship, experience, and chipping in on the most consistant 4th line in the league?  Yeah, punching people in the face is the reason for all of that. 

Is hockey about speed and skill?  Maybe.  Is NHL hockey?  Yes, but tempered with a punishing physical battle that includes, rightfully so, fighting and physical intimidation.  That's why we watch it, the day it becomes figure skating with pucks is the day I stop watching.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

If it was Chara riding his bike through the mountains it would still have nothing to do with hockey but would still be about preparation.  I'm dismayed that B's fans would find a problem with this ad.  Thinking that Thorty gets by just by just by punching people in the face is laughable (his name is on that cup more than once, unlike our skilled players). Mentorship, experience, and chipping in on the most consistant 4th line in the league?  Yeah, punching people in the face is the reason for all of that.  Is hockey about speed and skill?  Maybe.  Is NHL hockey?  Yes, but tempered with a punishing physical battle that includes, rightfully so, fighting and physical intimidation.  That's why we watch it, the day it becomes figure skating with pucks is the day I stop watching.
    Posted by elosias

Cheers to that!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

If it was Chara riding his bike through the mountains it would still have nothing to do with hockey but would still be about preparation.  I'm dismayed that B's fans would find a problem with this ad.  Thinking that Thorty gets by just by just by punching people in the face is laughable (his name is on that cup more than once, unlike our skilled players). Mentorship, experience, and chipping in on the most consistant 4th line in the league?  Yeah, punching people in the face is the reason for all of that.  Is hockey about speed and skill?  Maybe.  Is NHL hockey?  Yes, but tempered with a punishing physical battle that includes, rightfully so, fighting and physical intimidation.  That's why we watch it, the day it becomes figure skating with pucks is the day I stop watching.

Exactly people seem to forget it was the intangibles of the 4th line that got us over the hump, and won us the cup. I suppose the only thing missing was Campbell and Paille silouetted in the background ~ how cool would that have been ??
    Posted by elosias

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

shawn thornton...all around good guy, great teammate, gritty, energizing, with scoring prowess rarely seen in the enforcer role.here's my commercial. show him opening a door for an old lady, then stepping in to protect patrice from another high hit, then show one of his TEN highlight reel goals, before finally seeing him skate with the stanley cup around rogers arena. there is that better?

Sections
Shortcuts