Shawn Thornton...boxer.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer.

I'll agree with your points elo. I think the issue I have with it is...does it in any way portray Thornton as chippy 4th line grinder with skills enough to stay in the league of his own merits? It doesn't seem to me it does. If you took out the 2 seconds it shows of him on skates it could well be a commercial for his upcoming bout with Floyd Mayweather. I have no problems with fighting when two guys get pi$$ed at each other, or the "defending your championship" aspect of this commercial. But it just seems to propagate and glorify the staged fighting nonsense that the league and teams seem to use to attract viewership (akin to NASCAR promoting crashes)...which I understand is part of the appeal.

It's fine if you guys to like it or even like the staged bouts. I just don't think it promotes the game itself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogmonsta. Show dogmonsta's posts

Fighting has, will and always shall be part of hockey. The day you cant stand up for your teammates and leave it to a ref is the day hockey dies. They sign the contract they live the hockey life, they know the rules. Let it be known that boxing and MMA fight training is 200 times harder than ANY form of training out of any sport. and nitemare 38 is right...the message is they know they have a fight on their hands cuz every team is gonna come at them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Love the ad, it was raw and inspiring.  Love Thornton, fighting in the NHL, and the players that do it.  Happy the goonery of the old days is over, the bench clearing stuff on a nightly basis, but fighting will continue to exist in the NHL forever.  There is a place for it always has been and always will be.  If you don't like it great, perfect time for a bathroom break. 

In summary, growing up a B's fan through the 80's it's hard not to like that style of play.  It is part of the fabric of the team... Cam Neely.......hello!!!!  If you really hate it that much you may want to consider cheering for a different team, maybe one of those feathery, fleet of foot,  euro-canadian squads, cause as long as this management group is around the B's will never be that.

Amen!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

I acknowledge your point seobrien.  I see the point you have made.  I don't agree 100%, but I understand.  For the casual hockey fan, or it's detractors, you are spot on. 

But I believe my point is valid as well.  And remember February 3rd, 2011 vs. the Stars?  Talking about staged bouts... I wouldn't have it any other way in some cases.  To a casual fan, that was staged.  For intelligent hocky minds, we remembered November 1st of 2008  vs the Stars before we said it was staged.

Side note: I grew up in 'racing country' and NASCAR fans don't appreciate the 'wrecks sell' approach either.  NASCAR's 'Wrecks Sell' analogy is more true if the NHL sold injuries.  A more appropriate comparison would be NHL fighting = NASCAR's trading paint.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

And can we please have some hockey that counts before we all turn on each other about a commercial! lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Word...it's just a commercial. Let's argue about actual hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Why can't fighting be promoted? It is a part of the game. If one does not like fighting in hockey there are many more options. I'll list some for you.

1.College Hockey- no fights, but tones of punches to cages and plenty of cheap stick work.
    2. Womens Hockey- no fights, no speed, wrist shots as hard as jello and slap shots as fast as David Ortiz legging out a double.

Fighting is part of the game and always will be. Now if your complaining about  shoulder pads and elbows to heads, well then I'll say thats something the game can do without.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Spontaneous fighting, passionate/responsive fighting, are, and have always been part of North American hockey. the game that is played at the college level with full cages, high sticks, jabs in the ribs, ban on fighting, is more fashioned after Swedish/European hockey than North American hockey. Give me Juniors any day of the week. Staged fighting by goons, emplyed only to beat on other goons, began in the protect Gretsky with Semenko days, and unfortunately has evolved in the wrong way. Shawn Thornton took advantage of that and has contributed very well for the Bruins of late. However, there are many of the Bruins "Skilled" players who are just as tough and, in some instances, stronger than Thorny. In addition there are some younger players, like Caron, McDermind [sp.] who have better hockey skills to go with their toughness. There is no longer a need for a "boxer" .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

I hear what your saying bogie6 but I guess I just disagree.  To me Thornton is a good forechecker, cycles the puck well, sticks up for himself and teammates, responsible defensively, and enough offensive skill to not be labeled a goon.  If he was not all these things then explain how he averaged 10 mins a night of ice time on a Stanley Cup winning team?  At times the 4th line was the best on the ice as they showed up EVERY night.  No other line can say that as we have all witnessed the B's stars invisible on occasion.  Thornton is part of the identity of this team like it or not.  For me I like it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

maybe there's a skating with the stars some of you can watch.....no rough stuff. yes jay the 4th line in the finals........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : 10 goals 10 assist a +8! Takes on all comers & diminishes Chara, Lucic & Horton from having to do more of it! I hope the B's resign him for 3 more yrs!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

You wanna bet a pay cheque that he has those numbers again this year considering his career stats?  He can thank having Marchand with him for 1/2 the season. 
    I don't mind having him on the team especially with teams in the east having skating clowns.  Of all the skating clowns thorton might be the best. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]maybe there's a skating with the stars some of you can watch.....no rough stuff. yes jay the 4th line in the finals........
    Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]

I thought there were a lot of new names here that had many posts.

Now I get it.

The Sox choked, so here come the Boringball fans to tell us about hockey.

Ugh.  The detriment to being a fan of the KINGS OF BOSTON!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Why can't fighting be promoted? It is a part of the game. If one does not like fighting in hockey there are many more options. I'll list some for you. 1.College Hockey- no fights, but tones of punches to cages and plenty of cheap stick work. 2. Womens Hockey- no fights, no speed, wrist shots as hard as jello and slap shots as fast as David Ortiz legging out a double. Fighting is part of the game and always will be. Now if your complaining about  shoulder pads and elbows to heads, well then I'll say thats something the game can do without.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything wrong with it on the marketing side.  The commercial is well done also.  It does, however, show Thornton for who he really is.  He's a fighter who can skate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

totally new name? been postin for four years if you bothered to look. Nice bear. very original. maybe you're a UCLA fan?
    you're a fan?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3980612. Show user_3980612's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : I don't see anything wrong with it on the marketing side.  The commercial is well done also.  It does, however, show Thornton for who he really is.  He's a fighter who can skate.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3980612. Show user_3980612's posts

you were close,hes a hockey player that can fight

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Whatever...he's been on 2 Stanley Cup winning teams - that says enough

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]totally new name? been postin for four years if you bothered to look. Nice bear. very original. maybe you're a UCLA fan? you're a fan?

New name to me.  Follow along.

You can return to your beloved Red Sox now.

We're talking about the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins here, not a rag tag bunch of over paid choke artists.  When the B's lost the Philly in '10, we didn't start thinking we knew baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : You wanna bet a pay cheque that he has those numbers again this year considering his career stats?  He can thank having Marchand with him for 1/2 the season.  I don't mind having him on the team especially with teams in the east having skating clowns.  Of all the skating clowns thorton might be the best. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I fully agree that he might be the best skating clown, but he is absolutely still a clown.

I never noticed (until now) how steeply Thornton's production dropped after Marchand moved up.  Any of you Shawn "10 Goals is Awesome for a Goon" Thornton loverboys want to do a little research and post how many times he ended up on the scoresheet with Marchand for goals and assists?

A quick look shows "most".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer.:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : I thought there were a lot of new names here that had many posts. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

86 has been on here quite allot before now he just doesn't come on here as much as some of the rest of us and isn't as long winded, usually just oneliners. Not every poster comments on one team board as I'm sure you know and quite allot of them don't engage in the back n forth just drop their comment and split.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

[QUOTE]Hockey plays:  2 seconds Goonery:  28 seconds SKATING CLOWN
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    this is hockey buddy it is what it is and its damned entertaining to watch

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Anyways if you haven't laughed today:
    http://foundfootagefest.com/videos/calgary-flames-red-hot

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Spontaneous fighting, passionate/responsive fighting, are, and have always been part of North American hockey. the game that is played at the college level with full cages, high sticks, jabs in the ribs, ban on fighting, is more fashioned after Swedish/European hockey than North American hockey. Give me Juniors any day of the week. Staged fighting by goons, emplyed only to beat on other goons, began in the protect Gretsky with Semenko days, and unfortunately has evolved in the wrong way. Shawn Thornton took advantage of that and has contributed very well for the Bruins of late. However, there are many of the Bruins "Skilled" players who are just as tough and, in some instances, stronger than Thorny. In addition there are some younger players, like Caron, McDermind [sp.] who have better hockey skills to go with their toughness. There is no longer a need for a "boxer" .
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    You're talking foolish! Where & why does it make sense for a "skilled" player to be in the box? I love Lucic's & Horton's jam! I love they don't take anything from anyone; but if I have a choice of who I would want fighting it's not those two! It's already been proven that Lucic can fight; but he's not in the same league as a Colton Orr! Shawn Thornton isn't either; but IF there's someone I'd want taking on that kind of player it's Shawn! The guy is the epitome of a teammate & plays with his heart on his sleeve & plays every shift like it might be his last! I get so tired of these whiney babies who think just because the odd fight is staged. It's a travestry! There's far worse things going on in the dam league to be whining about!! Get OVER IT ALREADY you sound like a primadona who gets upset at the sight of blood!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton...boxer. : 10 goals 10 assist a +8, Takes on all comers & diminishes Chara, Lucic & Horton from having to do more of it! I hope the B's resign him for 3 more yrs!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Totally agree -- I'm quite sure that if you poll his current and former teammates -- they would concur.  I'll take him on my team any day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Anyways if you haven't laughed today: http://foundfootagefest.com/videos/calgary-flames-red-hot
    I didn't know Tim Hunter could sing that well. Also had a young Brad Macrimmon.If you can't get up for a hockey game after watching that, you have no pulse.

Sections
Shortcuts