Shootout

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Re: Shootout

bruinsCupiN09 said,

"I feel if the Bruins were doing really well in the shootout department then the view of this thread would change uncontrolably. I think it adds excitement and that edge of your seat feeling to a regular season game, because you dont know whats going to happen..." 

I agree wholeheartly with your first sentence, but unfortunately I cringe at the prospect of the Bruins going to a shootout and (lately) have a pretty good idea what is going to happen. Hope this changes soon!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shootout:
    [QUOTE]I feel if the Bruins were doing really well in the shootout department then the view of this thread would change uncontrolably. I think it adds excitement and that edge of your seat feeling to a regular season game, because you dont know whats going to happen. An amazing dangle or a great save. But thats my opinion on this subject, I thought it was a good thing to add to the NHL. And you should keep the points system the same as well. 
    Posted by bruinsCupiN09[/QUOTE]

From posting here for a while, I can see that the majority of posters in this thread that agree with me were born a while ago and love the game of hockey. 

If the Bruins won every shootout, it wouldn't change my opinion.  12 year olds win Mini-One-on-One.  NHL teams win games.

Shootouts, along with the Habs, blow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Who cares how they put it in during a shootout? Put the puck in the net. That's the sole point of this game -- regulation, OT, or shootout. Go Jared Knight, put the puck in your teeth and bulldoze the goalie -- couldn't care less and it has no impact on my opinion of the shootout (not getting into that). I don't care about the "fan entertainment" argument or the implicit rules of shootout etiquette that some players seem to think exist (and apparently this code is well established despite the fact the shootout is only 5 years old).

Not getting into the loser point or whether there should be a winner for every game or the value of the tie. All I am saying is that if there's a shootout, do whatever you want as long as you put it in the net.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

DC thats all a solid point. I dont see any problem with showboatery during the Shout out. I mean its like your putting the players in this postion might as well watch them dance.

Shoot out is dumb I actually kind of think that a 5-4 or 5-3 for 2 mins with a rebuttal or something would be cool though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Make it a real shoot out - pistols at dawn.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

HOME TEAM-5 on 4 for 2 minutes
       If there is no goal...
    VISITOR-5 on 4 for 2 minutes
       If no goal, repeat procedure. If still no goal,change to 5 on 3 until a goal is scored.
    2 points for winner. 0 points for loser
    Simple, and eliminates the circus acts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have some points that deserve different posts.

First.

First let me say I'm not a shoot out fan, didn't like it from day 1.

BUT

The shoot out has inadvertantly done a lot for hockey.  I believe it got people to think about stick handling again and really examine it and look at it like a science.

IMO if it weren't for the shoot out the emphasis on shooting strategy and certainly breakaway and shoot out strategy would have been a lot slower in coming.

Would Sean Skinner have developed his set of stickhandling videos if attention didn't get raised by the shootout?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql5iSwxkYkc

You might scoff at this, but anything you can learn to do like this improves your overall stickhandling.

As I player I never paid that much attention to my stick handling - sadly.  As a younder player in hs and college I relied on speed and a decent shot and was willing to get punished in the corners.  Now that I'm old and fat I started paying attention to my stickhandling and I wish I had this when I was a kid.

The shoot out drew attention to this stuff.  Looking at the older NHL clips it is outright embarassing that the fundamentals of shoot out (the rare penalty shot) weren't even known.

The type of player that is Stamkos and Seguin has evolved from this.  I believe we're going to see a lot more of those type of players coming in the future and the game is going to change a lot because of them for the better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Next point.  Or maybe a wish.

IMO the shoot out did a lot to draw attention to stick skills and improved the game.

Now it is time for the next phase which would probably improve the game even more.

Here is one crazy idea, but the idea behind it is what needs to be developed.

After the 4 on 4 they should go old school.  I mean REAL old school.  For the second OT bring back the 1930's rule of no forward passing. 2 line offside.  And no goalies. And introduce a line similar to the blue line across the offensive zone face off zone - you can't shoot unless you are inside that line.

This idea, or an idea like it would draw more attention to the x's and o's in hockey, the development of strategic play has been slow in coming.  As late as the 1970's many teams had no set plays or very few.  I remember an interview with Guy Lafleur where he said he botched every set play they had because he would immediately ad lib it.

That's also pretty disgraceful that it took hockey as long as it has to develop the strategy it has.

Look at basketball and how many set plays they have.  Of course there is a dimension offered by setting picks - which is illegal in hockey, but basketball is still light years ahead of hockey in strategy IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes, the purists cringe at things like the shoot out, but what is good about the shoot out was that it shows the NHL is thinking out of the box.

For once.

IMO hockey should have been the FIRST sport to use instant replay to review goals.  It bugs the ever loving bejeesus out of me that football did it first.

It's innovative ideas that will help the sport.  It's ideas like the video review of goals that make the game fair - and fans don't feel ripped off by bad calls.

They're talking about a coach's challenge.  Lame lame lame lame lame.   Football has an idea then hockey adopts it.  It cheapens the sport.

The NHL should be the innovators, not the NFL.  The NHL is the 4th sport in the US by a wide margin, it is the NHL that should be thinking of the video ideas & etc. FIRST.  The NHL is the one that should be taking the risks as they are the ones with ground to make up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Finally, in the all star competition - no "props" in that fancy shot competition.

Honestly, every time I see Ovechkin in the sunglasses and hat I come very close to committing suicide.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Go old school is correct!  I dislike the shootout; when is hockey not hockey, in a shootout is my common remark.  Yet the regulation is the emphasis more than the shootout.  NAS mentioned the 2 points for a victory in regulation and one afterwards, that is correct.  Why not just emphasize the regulation time more by eliminating the OT.  It the shootout is not going to be eliminated then why go into another set period of hockey is my perspective. Other things in regulation can be changed slightly to increase offensive play.... height change of the nets for instance.  Ok now back to my New Year's resolution not to participate but read in these spaces.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'm not a fan of the S-O, but I feel you can't fight city hall! I'm for anything to get rid of it. There's no way the NHL can go to a sudden-death until somebody scores format because of the travel schedule. Baseball can do it because, they usually are in a 3-4 game series against teams. So the extra innings works better. If a game goes into 15 innings in game 4. That away team is getting the next day off anyway. So they don't have to leave the same night.

Also all NHL games during the week are played at night. Depending on what city the team is flying to next. They have to land by a certain time. For ex. Montreal has a 1am-5am no landings. Other cities have similar things in place.

So, because of the time constraits is one reason. The other reason is that a lot of GM's don't want their star players playing anymore than they have to. I can't remember what GM it was. but he said something about. "After every game is finished I look at 2 things. Did we win? How many of our best players survived for the next one!" 

Playing a 3 on 3 is more wear & tear on star players is the way a lot of GM's look at it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seven games last night, three ended by shootout.

We're not far from every game ending in a shootout, regardless of the outcome of the game itself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Leave em as a tie and forget about it.

Hateful to dominate a game and then lose it in the shootout for any team.

Play OT 5-5 with no goalies, someone should be able to score then, still means the B's lose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

The NHL is the only league that allows some games to be worth more points than other games.
    Why is this? Because the people running other sport leagues, aren't morons!
    Of course more and more games will be decided by OT or shootouts. Why would coaches not want to play a game worth 3 points, instead of 2? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I'm with No4Bobbyorr on this. I am fine with ties. Sometimes the teams deserve to be tied at the end of the game -- especially in a league with the parity the NHL has.