Shots on goal overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Shots on goal overrated

In Response to Shots on goal overrated:
    Ottawa fired 31 shots on Thomas tonight but how many scoring opportunities did they really have.......1 or 2 maybe?Boston's team defence was outstanding tonight.How often do you see a goalie get a shutout and be only 2nd star?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Yup, as with many stats, it's how you spin it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated:
    In Response to Shots on goal overrated : Yup, as with many stats, it's how you spin it.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Too often there are complaints that Boston's D needs to tighten up because of high shot totals. Quality of shots is all that really matters.I think that Thomas would've been uset with himself had he allowed a goal tonight as he wasn't really tested very often.During last weeks game the commentators mentioned that the Wild have been outshot in every one of their 20 wins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDecision. Show TheDecision's posts

An OompaLoompa could have gotten a shut-out tonight the way Ottawa Played

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Scoring chances are a better measure for sure.

Did anyone have a problem with the B's playing their 4th line on the PP in the later stages of the game?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Scoring chances are a better measure for sure. Did anyone have a problem with the B's playing their 4th line on the PP in the later stages of the game?
    Posted by 4everbruins

No.That was a classy move by CJ so as not to run up the score.Typical that Carkner and Neil still acted like  idiots.As if Paille wanted to fight Carkner.I was glad  Paille threw some extra shots and the refs chose not to penalize him for it.Refs kinda sent a message to Carkner by giving him an extra minor  and no extra for Paille.It's as if they were letting him know he deserved an extra couple of punches for acting like a goon in a 6-0 game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

2nd Star when Berg scores his hat trick twice.LOL

I thought it was classy until clueless Clouson played his ashholes the whole end of the game knowing that Neil and Carkner were out for shiite.  Cj should have only sent ou Chara, Boychuk, Mcquaid, Thorn and Horton at the end.

Kudos to Pail for battling a battle he was not going to win.

March and Berg better not be seperated the rest of the season.

Krej, Wheel and Seg are starting to look good together, Seg maybe coming into his own quicker than expected if left with these 2.

Sav's game is coming along fine, still too many back or blind passes, but he could have easily had 5 assists tonight, Hort is badly snake bit, but he played a great physical game.

TT was not overly challenged but he did earn his shutout with a little help from 2 posts.

Ference was a plus 4 for those wondering and solid defensively, with a nice elbow, wish it had been Neil.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : No.That was a classy move by CJ so as not to run up the score.Typical that Carkner and Neil still acted like  idiots.As if Paille wanted to fight Carkner.I was glad  Paille threw some extra shots and the refs chose not to penalize him for it.Refs kinda sent a message to Carkner by giving him an extra minor  and no extra for Paille.As if they were letting him know he deserved an extra couple of punches for acting like a goon in a 6-0 game.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I'm not sure it was to avoid running up the score.  I think it was to say to the fourth line, "Hey, everyone else is scoring, why don't you give it a try?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no question one of the easier shutouts, but in Thomas' defense, he did not allow rebounds, stopping most of the initial shots for either a stoppage of play or finishing the Ottawa offensive attack. The d-men did fine, but really the B's forwards controlled the game, the play was often in the Ottawa zone. There was one stretch where both teams did some free wheeling, which is fun to watch, but really it was a very easy win v. a very defeated team with a very defeated goalie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

The chance of this post existing, if Rask had been the starter, is less than zero.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LOL, bigskye. You're right, deza, was trying to downplay Thomas getting a shutout. If Rask had been the starting goalie, it would have been a post about why he needs to be the No. 1 goalie again. I figured it would be better to just analyze it without openly questioning dez, but hey, the truth is that biggskye is right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Unless a goalie plays unbelievable, a shutout is more of a team achievement, which was the case tonight.
    There was nobody on here bragging about the play of Thomas tonight. Everyone recognized that it was a pretty easy game for him.
    I will just never understand why someone would feel compelled to start a thread that was an obvious attempt to lessen the value of the shutout.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Nice call bigskye..

I liked the 4th line playing at the end, but Wondered if Paille was hurt marchand was playing his wing at the end.
    I would have liked to see the savard horton line playing more though (pp perhapds) just to see them break out and put something on the board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I'm not sure it was to avoid running up the score.  I think it was to say to the fourth line, "Hey, everyone else is scoring, why don't you give it a try?"
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Unwritten rule that you don't send out your top PP units in a game deemed out of reach.You notice even the 4th line stopped checking?The last 10 minutes looked like a non-contact rec league game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    I would hope they didnt stop checking, I understand your thinking, but that relates to little guys..

The bruins have had a lot of areas to work on.. I would rather they focus on that, and continue to play.. I hated hearing houda says "we don't need anymore goals".. I am sure they approached the 3rd period of the montreal game with the same mentality.. Why not approach the game exactly the same, give other guys more opportunity, but don't let up.. This team has been to inconsistant to take the foot off the gas at any point..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

LOL, bigskye. You're right, deza, was trying to downplay Thomas getting a shutout. If Rask had been the starting goalie, it would have been a post about why he needs to be the No. 1 goalie again. I figured it would be better to just analyze it without openly questioning dez, but hey, the truth is that biggskye is right.
    Posted by dannycater

Absolutely wrong Fellows.You're looking for a problem where there is none.Did you guys read any of my posts after the Penguin game?Rask isn't free of being critiqued either and I've mentioned on here numerous times that both goalies benefit from playing behind a tight Boston D.This post is about team defence more than goaltending  but you guys feel free  to make it about whatever you want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Dez, I would hope they didnt stop checking, I understand your thinking, but that relates to little guys.. The bruins have had a lot of areas to work on.. I would rather they focus on that, and continue to play.. I hated hearing houda says "we don't need anymore goals".. I am sure they approached the 3rd period of the montreal game with the same mentality.. Why not approach the game exactly the same, give other guys more opportunity, but don't let up.. This team has been to inconsistant to take the foot off the gas at any point..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Nah. 6-0 with 10 minutes left, it's ok to coast.

EVERYTHING's ok when you're up 6-0 with 10 minutes left.

2-0? Not so much.

These dudes is gellin'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, I would hope they didnt stop checking, I understand your thinking, but that relates to little guys.. The bruins have had a lot of areas to work on.. I would rather they focus on that, and continue to play.. I hated hearing houda says "we don't need anymore goals".. I am sure they approached the 3rd period of the montreal game with the same mentality.. Why not approach the game exactly the same, give other guys more opportunity, but don't let up.. This team has been to inconsistant to take the foot off the gas at any point..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I'm not arguing that they should let up.I just think they did.I'm a little surprised you'd buy into Bigsskyes theory that this was an anti -Thomas post or an attempt to undervalue a shutout when,as I've clearly stated,this post was in support of the team defence as a whole.Not a surprise that the folks with TT posters on their wall think that heaping praise anywhere but directly on TT is blasphemy.Every post I've ever written is there for all to see(in support of both goalies)so I have no hidden agenda.Frankly I'm growing tired of the constant goalie debate and repeating myself for those that choose to only read what they feel is relevant to their argument.As far as the goaltending goes ,I'll no longer give an opinion.It's easier than contantly dealing with the crybabies on both sides of the argument.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Unless a goalie plays unbelievable, a shutout is more of a team achievement, which was the case tonight. There was nobody on here bragging about the play of Thomas tonight. Everyone recognized that it was a pretty easy game for him. I will just never understand why someone would feel compelled to start a thread that was an obvious attempt to lessen the value of the shutout.
    Posted by biggskye

go through the official stats and see how often a guy gets a shutout and isn't 1st star.Better yet,don't bother as I don't want to offend TT in any way real or imagined.sometimes a post is about exactly what it says and has nothing to do with anything else.Fortunately,your opinion has nothing to do with my credibility.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Unwritten rule that you don't send out your top PP units in a game deemed out of reach.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I've been watching hockey for 30+ years, with 20+ of them possibly being labled as studying.  I have never, ever, ever heard of this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    Goalies rarely are not the first star in a shut out, unless its a lopsided game.
    I did not watch to see who was named the 3 stars.

Thomas, bergeron,

and march? or seguin i would guess..

And I wasnt agreeing it was a shot at thomas, just that this post doesnt appear if rask plays, If rask had played I think the post would have been something more along the lines of "riding the hot goalie" just like was posted after his previous win...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, Goalies rarely are not the first star in a shut out, unless its a lopsided game. I did not watch to see who was named the 3 stars. Thomas, bergeron, and march? or seguin i would guess.. And I wasnt agreeing it was a shot at thomas, just that this post doesnt appear if rask plays, If rask had played I think the post would have been something more along the lines of "riding the hot goalie" just like was posted after his previous win...
    Posted by rolerhoky19

That wasn't posted by me after Rask's last game.What I posted after his last game is that Boston was fortunate to overcome the bad goal Rask gave up and that he played well after the bad goal.I'm not sure what I have to say about either goalie so as  not to offend the various supporters on each side.I guess I can't win being a fan of both.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I've been watching hockey for 30+ years, with 20+ of them possibly being labled as studying.  I have never, ever, ever heard of this.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You need more study then if you haven't  heard of not running up the score when given a big lead.Coaches in the World Juniors often complain about HAVING to run up the score against some teams because of ties being broken by goals for and against.Rarely will a team use PP unit 1 or 2 when up by 6 goals,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : You need more study then if you haven't  heard of not running up the score when given a big lead.Coaches in the World Juniors often complain about HAVING to run up the score against some teams because of ties being broken by goals for and against.Rarely will a team use PP unit 1 or 2 when up by 6 goals,
    Posted by dezaruchi

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AgwCP0toxyJUzYkozA7zIG0rvLYF?gid=2011010728

There's a six goal game, and the #1 PP unit out, first game I checked.

No, Dez, I don't need to study more. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : You need more study then if you haven't  heard of not running up the score when given a big lead.Coaches in the World Juniors often complain about HAVING to run up the score against some teams because of ties being broken by goals for and against.Rarely will a team use PP unit 1 or 2 when up by 6 goals,
    Posted by dezaruchi

Up by 4, halfway through the third period, that's a big lead in my book.

What's Bobby Ryan doing out there?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2011010725

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by dezaruchi

Up by four, seven minutes left in the third, that's a big lead in my book.

What are the Sedins doing out there?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2011010722

Sections
Shortcuts