Shots on goal overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Shots on goal overrated

Up by six, second period ending, that's a big lead in my book.

What's Crosby doing out there?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2011010516

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay, that's about all the research I'll do.  Each game I checked that had a crazy score showed the PP1 and PP2 on the ice.

Tell me more, Dez.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AgwCP0toxyJUzYkozA7zIG0rvLYF?gid=2011010728 There's a six goal game, and the #1 PP unit out, first game I checked. No, Dez, I don't need to study more. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Did a fight happen after because they often will.You should face that just because you've never heard of something doesn't mean it isn't real.As we saw the other night 4 goals can happen in a hurry but a 6 goal lead...........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    I didnt mean that as you would have posted, simply it would have been posted..

When rask won the game last week (after the buffalo game) there were posters saying "I hope we ride the hot hand, only fair" which was bogus.. Thomas beat rask out for the job, rask having one good start didn't make him the hot hand..

And I not knocking Rask, thats his fans mentality, fact is thomas is the front runner for the vezina and has one of the best win % in the league, you play him till that changes..  Rask fans should accept that is all, general statement, not directed at you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Did a fight happen after because they often will.You should face that just because you've never heard of something doesn't mean it isn't real.As we saw the other night 4 goals can happen in a hurry but a 6 goal lead...........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

No.  There were no fights after that goal.

I just supplied plenty of data showing that your theory is at best, rarely followed, at worst, entirely false.

I fully agree that just because I have not heard of something that it doesn't  mean it doesn't exist.  I also fully support my theory that your unwritten rule doesn't exist.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think with a big lead the PP often becomes less about scoring on the PP, and more about working on things on the PP.. I would hope the bruins didnt adopt a late game mentality that they can let up no matter the lead, that cost us in montreal...

But if they said hey, dont worry about scoring anymore, if we do great, but lets go out there and work on puck movement and shutting these guys down, lets rap the shut out up for timmy. etc..

fine..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bruins up by 6, halfway through the third.  That's a big lead in my book.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AmCg7ZG6Fi82fXJPNLQZt8VivLYF?gid=2010120201

What are Recchi, Ryder and Chara doing out there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Up by four, ten minutes left in the third.  That's a big lead in my book.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=ApZO9_2.xj2MrEodCB5Jdn4rvLYF?gid=2010100923

Who let Ovechkin and Semin on the ice?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Four minutes left, up by four.  Isn't that a big enough lead?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AkDGm941dgf9t8kSJ3c2lXorvLYF?gid=2010122117

Jaret Stoll and Jack Johnson?  Don't they know Dez's unwritten rule?

(feel free to cry Uncle at any time, Dez)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Good job NAS.  I appreciate and respect anyone who chooses to support their position with fact.  You certainly make your point.  Wish more here chose that route.
    I've been playing this game for 40 plus years, and as recently as yesterday would have agreed with the "unwritten rule' analogy in this context.  Obviously it's not, however, it is a fairly common approach at the pro level to not attempt to add insult to injury.
    Not sure I like it either.  As I was watching the last few minutes of the game, I couldn't help but think, what a perfect opportunity to allow some bad habits to creep into their game, that could easily follow into the next one.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Up by five, seven minutes left.  That's a big lead right?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AgFSwucQw9r8_e5aC1VU1_krvLYF?gid=2010112022

Someone needs to get Kesler and Edler off that PP!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Four minutes left, up by four.  Isn't that a big enough lead? http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AkDGm941dgf9t8kSJ3c2lXorvLYF?gid=2010122117 Jaret Stoll and Jack Johnson?  Don't they know Dez's unwritten rule? (feel free to cry Uncle at any time, Dez)
    Maybe later you can get some stats that say black is white but that doesn't make it so.I guess they run up the score in the house league hockey you've played in your career.In competitive hockey,running up a score leads to bad blood.what happenned?A fight with the wife or something?Your complainer level is cranked up this morning(along with my patience for you).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

One more thing.  There was something else in play last night.  A shut out is on the line, and that's big.  An Ottawa goal late in the game would have been terrible, and they had a couple really good chances late, cuz the b's got a little sloppy.  When the outcome is already settled, a team on the verge of a shoutout, should be expected to play with the same intensity as a tie game

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Good job NAS.  I appreciate and respect anyone who chooses to support their position with fact.  You certainly make your point.  Wish more here chose that route. I've been playing this game for 40 plus years, and as recently as yesterday would have agreed with the "unwritten rule' analogy in this context.  Obviously it's not, however, it is a fairly common approach at the pro level to not attempt to add insult to injury. Not sure I like it either.  As I was watching the last few minutes of the game, I couldn't help but think, what a perfect opportunity to allow some bad habits to creep into their game, that could easily follow into the next one.  
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]
    Finding 10 examples over 100 years of hockey history doesn't change that most coaches don't like to run up a score(leads to bad blood).Sure,some teams still feel a need to work on the PP for instance but,for the most part,will play secondary players rather than the regular PP.This isn't the 1st time we've seen the 4th line on the PP(the 8-1 trouncing of TBay also featured the 4th on the PP but whatever....if NAS says it's not true I must be a liar).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Ottawa was getting testy last night and McQuaid was challenged numerous times. However, it was the safe play by CJ to take the high road last night and not accept the challenges. But, I think someone should have stood (*sp?) up for Seguin last night when he got punched in the face on his high sticking call though.

Ottawa was looking to fight once they went down 3. Why keep pressuring on a late power play to further stomp on a downtrodden team? Why not reward some of the hard working players that never get the chance?

I agree with NAS though, I don't see too many teams keeping their foot off the gas late in games. However, you do see more of the bottom lines when it's a blowout so Dez's premise is true IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NR, Dez,
    I think its less about taking your foot off, and giving guys a chance to play in different situations.. as well as working on fundamentals..

Putting thorntons line out, you know is going to result is less chances, but i dont think the mentality is go out there and don't score..

On the PP it may be something more like "work on this" etc..

I have never had a coach say don't score, but I have had been told to connect on 3 passes before anyone shoots..
    etc..

Is that letting up, ehh, your not going out there to not score, your going out there to work on things in a game situation while you have the chance..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]NR, Dez, I think its less about taking your foot off, and giving guys a chance to play in different situations.. as well as working on fundamentals.. Putting thorntons line out, you know is going to result is less chances, but i dont think the mentality is go out there and don't score.. On the PP it may be something more like "work on this" etc.. I have never had a coach say don't score, but I have had been told to connect on 3 passes before anyone shoots.. etc.. Is that letting up, ehh, your not going out there to not score, your going out there to work on things in a game situation while you have the chance..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    I wonder what the term"running up the score" is in reference to if it's an acceptable practice.Wouldn't it be just called finishing the game or something like that?It's become a commonly used saying and it's known(not by all obviously)that you aren't supposed to do it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I wonder what the term"running up the score" is in reference to if it's an acceptable practice.Wouldn't it be just called finishing the game or something like that?It's become a commonly used saying and it's known(not by all obviously)that you aren't supposed to do it.

Was the B's 8-1 drubbing of Tampa "running up the score"?

How about Toronto's 9-3 beating they laid on Atlanta?

How about any of the examples I posted here with the game out of reach and the top players on the powerplay?  Don't they run the risk of running up the score?

This is the NHL.  This isn't everyone gets a trophy rec league hockey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS..
    your wrong, very few rec leagues give everyone a trophy.. Now a days in this economy its usually only the top team, players from that team may get a medal, and the participation award is usually only a cheap ribbon...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I've been watching hockey for 30+ years, with 20+ of them possibly being labled as studying.  I have never, ever, ever heard of this.

I'll see your 30 years and raise you 20 more . Wow , are you ever off on this one ! I said the same thing to myself as dez did when I seen those players out on the PP. If you have never ever, ever , ever heard of that unwritten rule then you really need to go back to school. That is as old as the hills ! You bringing up examples does not mean that those rules aren'tstill there. It means somebody doesn't give a sh.. about them. Keep reading dez's posts , you'll learn something new without studying !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Was the B's 8-1 drubbing of Tampa "running up the score"? How about Toronto's 9-3 beating they laid on Atlanta? How about any of the examples I posted here with the game out of reach and the top players on the powerplay?  Don't they run the risk of running up the score? This is the NHL.  This isn't everyone gets a trophy rec league hockey.
    So what does running up the score mean?What is it in reference to?I must have made it up this morning as there's no such thing in the NHL apparently.I wonder where I would've come up with such a vague,meaningless term?Sorry to cause you any problems sir.I'll try not to upset your day any further.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]One more thing.  There was something else in play last night.  A shut out is on the line, and that's big.  An Ottawa goal late in the game would have been terrible, and they had a couple really good chances late, cuz the b's got a little sloppy.  When the outcome is already settled, a team on the verge of a shoutout, should be expected to play with the same intensity as a tie game
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

lol. i disagree. :)

i do wish thornton potted one late though. that might have been the single thing that could have improved the final result.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I'll see your 30 years and raise you 20 more . Wow , are you ever off on this one ! I said the same thing to myself as dez did when I seen those players out on the PP. If you have never ever, ever , ever heard of that unwritten rule then you really need to go back to school. That is as old as the hills ! You bringing up examples does not mean that those rules aren'tstill there. It means somebody doesn't give a sh.. about them. Keep reading dez's posts , you'll learn something new without studying !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    I was confused by your lack of an avatar earlier.Glad that you've got my back.Thanks although you agreeing with me probably just means we're both wrong in NAS's world.I'm comfortable with that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I was confused by your lack of an avatar earlier.Glad that you've got my back.Thanks although you agreeing with me probably just means we're both wrong in NAS's world.I'm comfortable with that.

I've got much more to say on this topic if he chooses to further the discussion on unwritten rules.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I just posted plenty of examples that debunk the theory of the "unwritten rule that you don't send out your top PP units in a game deemed out of reach."

Maybe it's a kinda rule?  Maybe it's a sorta rule?  Maybe it's a sometimes rules?  With minimal effort and research, I found enough evidence that shows team do send out their top PP units in games that are out of reach.

I'm not exactly sure how you can twist cold hard facts, but I'm willing to listen.

Sections
Shortcuts