Shots on goal overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Shots on goal overrated

Nas,
    I know you need facts but i think everyone has played under a coach that had a lead at one point that has said something to the point..

either laying up, working on things  whatever they called it..I would wager anyone who has played competitively has experienced it.. Do you think the bruins had thornton out there on the PP in an attempt to run the score up?

Houda from the bench between the 2nd and 3rd said "we don't need to score any more goals", and based on playing time in the 4th, pp units etc, its safe to say the bruins laid up..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Unwritten rules :

1) During a fight stop punching once the man goes down - still happens
    2) Don't spray the goalie once he covers up on the puck - still happens
    3) Don't jab at the goalie once he covers up on the puck - still happens
    4) When the whistle blows don't shoot the puck at the goalie - still happens

Need any more . These unwritten rules are broken all the time . Just because you say you've never heard of it makes it not there ? Hello ! No it means you haven't heard of it. 
    Your examples mean nothing because rules are broken all the time . Written or unwritten.

P.S. How can somebody who has followed the game as long as you not know about what dez is talking about ? Very odd because that's kindergarten knowledge on the game of hockey.

Backhanded slant during my rant as expected !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Interesting back and forth comments guys on the running up the score.. some of it quite hilarious.. I like the old football coach analogy " Its not my place to let up on scoring, its up to the other team to stop us "  Anyone see Belichik at work when Brady is in the 4th qrt with a 35-0 lead and pounding for some more... That's called Winners , regardless of what others might say.. Think BB or TB cares ? NO!!

The way the Bruins PP has been all season.. I think they could have used some more "confidence" even at the 6-0 run.. The PP still stinks and CJ could have  justified playing the top guys ...practise makes perfect like they say...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated:
    Unwritten rules : 1) During a fight stop punching once the man goes down - still happens 2) Don't spray the goalie once he covers up on the puck - still happens 3) Don't jab at the goalie once he covers up on the puck - still happens 4) When the whistle blows don't shoot the puck at the goalie - still happens Need any more . These unwritten rules are broken all the time . Just because you say you've never heard of it makes it not there ? Hello ! No it means you haven't heard of it.  Your examples mean nothing because rules are broken all the time . Written or unwritten. P.S. How can somebody who has followed the game as long as you not know about what dez is talking about ? Very odd because that's kindergarten knowledge on the game of hockey. Backhanded slant during my rant as expected !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

If unwritten rules are "broken all the time", that doesn't make them rules to me, written or unwritten.  I guess we view it differently. 

Please continue with your childish comments, however.  They really speak volumes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Cowboy, totally agreed and expressed the same sentiments earlier.. plenty to work on with out having to let up

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : If unwritten rules are "broken all the time", that doesn't make them rules to me, written or unwritten.  I guess we view it differently.  Please continue with your childish comments, however.  They really speak volumes.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I guess someone dropping the F bomb in a post about a dozen times speaks volumes also . BAAAAHHAAAA. You are so mature .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

We're pickin fly shi* out of pepper here folks.  It's a play on words.  It could be "code", it could be "etiquette", or it could be anything, it doesn't matter.  Whatever it is, some adhere to it, some don't.
    Thank you roler, chowda, dez, for many fine posts.  Thank you NAS, for supporting your opinion with fact.
    Since everyone seems to be on the validation bandwagon here, I'll throw my support at the above.  It is an unwritten rule, however, written or unwritten, rules are broken all the time.
    I'm surprised it's broken as often as it is though, and appreciate finding that out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : If unwritten rules are "broken all the time", that doesn't make them rules to me, written or unwritten.  I guess we view it differently.  Please continue with your childish comments, however.  They really speak volumes.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I've already asked once but here goes again.What does the term"running up the score"mean?If it only meant continuing to score then there would be no extra terminology.It would simply be called finishing the game.Plead ignorance all you want.all of us know exactly what i'm talking about so it means nothing to me if you want to keep arguing over nothing.Knock yourself out.It still won't change that a team shouldn't run up the score.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

dez, why did you start this thread? I mean, you could perceive it as you downplaying Thomas. And I'm sorry, your bias toward Rask is unquestionable. You would rather he be the go-to goalie, and I understand that, but it's time to rally behind the guy who is doing the job consistently and that's Thomas. He is the one who stepped up when Rask was having early problems, and he was the one who stepped up when Rask couldn't be relied on in later starts. I thought Rask did a nice job v. Pittsburgh, one bad goal, but many great saves.

But if the team didn't come up with a miracle barrage at the end, it would have been yet another Tuuka defeat in goal. Thomas did not give up a bad goal early or late in the Ottawa game, and, albeit, he wasn't tasked much at all, but who cares. The bottom line is not how you win, but that you win. Thomas insures a better chance of winning game in and game out, often he has made it so that the other goalie blinks first. Rask is the other way around. This year, he's been the one blinking first, allowing goals to put the team behind or tied.

Maybe you think I'm Tim Thomas' super fan, but I'm not. I'm the team's fan. I want the team to win. So does Julien despite his heavy criticism from everyone despite the team being in 1st place.

As for No. 1,2,3 stars. It's a popularity contest. They are rarely close to accurate, and if anything they reward only the home team's guys. There was a time where the media was competent enough to reward even a No.1 star to the opposing team's goalie or even a top player even in a loss. Gilles Gilbert was the No. 1 star in the famous OT loss to Montreal in 79 at the Forum as the losing goalie. Now it's, home team wins, so 2-goal scorer is 1, 30 save guy is 2, and maybe even one goal-good fight is 3. It's hardly a barometer to use on deciding whether a goalie made a difference or not.

The best goalie performances I've ever seen and some that I most remember are bizarrely losses, not wins. I saw Jim Craig play out of this world, and lose 4-0 at LA. Craig made no less than 8 point-blank saves when the rest of the B's gave up. But I remember the performance well. I thought Thomas has had some games where he was just unconscious and lose, 2-1. If you win, usually there is some help going on, whether it's the offense scoring enough goals, the defense clearing the zone from rebounds. It's a team game. Certainly, Thomas has stolen a lot of earlier games this year when the team was playing shaky. Nice to see him not be a factor for once--either on the winning or losing side.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay, so are we going to change this from your theory of the unwritten rule to whether or not teams should pile on as many goals as possible each game?

I've given plenty of examples that show the unwritten rule that you don't send out your top PP units in a game deemed out of reach does not exist.

Can you offer a similar amount of evidence that it does?  Should we take your opinion over hard facts?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

as for running up the score...in hockey??? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease...Shawn Thornton tried desperately to score his hattrick not too long ago in a B's rout, taking pot shots with under a 25 seconds left. You play hard from start to finish, but necessarily with all of your troops. No reason to let up.

As for PP or who is on the power play, i say who cares if you are ahead 6-0 because it's time to rest guys and time to keep guys from getting hurt needlessly. If Bergeron didn't play the last 10 minutes of that game, I'm fine with that. Protect your assets when you don't need them on the ice. Most games are too close to make that decision. Few routs, so few opportunities to rest key players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Danny, i think your wrong about the original point dez was trying to make. His point, and I agree with it, is that many people b*tch and moan that the Bruins give up nearly 40 shots a game, so the defense is terrible. Most of the shots opponents get are perimeter shots that TT/Rask have a clear sight of. But when you look at the box score you see 38 shots aginst, so the Bruins D must be terrible. Thats not the case. I don't think his point reallly had anything to do with the goalies, it was more about how people complain aabout shots against.

I agree with NAS. I follow football a lot and am a patriots fan. Many non patriots fans complain that NE likes to run up the score. That is total BS. There is no such thing as running up the score in PROFESSIONAL sports. These athletes get paid millions. If your a professional athlete and you don't like the score getting run up on you, then stop them. This isn't pee wee, pop warner, high school, juniors, or college. This is proffessional sports. I think what CJ did was more to reward the 4th line than to not run up the score.

If a team is up by 6 in the 3rd period. And they need to practice/clean up their power play, I have no problem with a team putting their 1st powerplay on the ice. It's more important to play a 60 minute game, not let up, play hard than it is to let up just to not hurt the other teams feelings

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

cindy, if you go look at other threads, you'll notice that there is a big preference for Rask over Thomas by deza. I'm not criticizing that at all. But is odd to post what could be perceived as an anti-Thomas thread by downplaying his shutout. If indeed, deza was sincerely stating that the team's defense (or more so the team's domination on offense) stepped up and made it easy for Thomas. I agree with that, and if that is the case, and dez is saying it, but I'm not buying it, then I apologize to deza.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

shots are not always a good measure, but the bruins have not been good defensively this year.. Last game yes, but overall, no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

cindy, if you go look at other threads, you'll notice that there is a big preference for Rask over Thomas by deza. I'm not criticizing that at all. But is odd to post what could be perceived as an anti-Thomas thread by downplaying his shutout. If indeed, deza was sincerely stating that the team's defense (or more so the team's domination on offense) stepped up and made it easy for Thomas. I agree with that, and if that is the case, and dez is saying it, but I'm not buying it, then I apologize to deza.
    Posted by dannycater

You can see by my previous  posts that I feel Boston's team D is responsible for making BOTH goalies job easier.I've mentioned that ,regardless of the number of shots,it's the quality of shots or lack thereof that matters(no rebounds,etc.).Danny,I don't know how many times over the past 2 seasons I have to say that I DON'T CARE who plays goal as long as Boston wins.Saying  my heart doesn't race as much with Rask in goal doesn't mean I don't like TT.It only means I'm less likely to have a heart attack with Rask in goal.I'm every bit as angry when Rask gives up a softie as when TT does.People need to realize it's ok to like both Bruin goalies.No one is forcing them to choose even though that's how people are acting.My favourite goalie is the Bruins goalie.I can't be any clearer than that.No need to apologize either by the way.I say enough other things to enflame everyone on the forum at some point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Okay, so are we going to change this from your theory of the unwritten rule to whether or not teams should pile on as many goals as possible each game? I've given plenty of examples that show the unwritten rule that you don't send out your top PP units in a game deemed out of reach does not exist. Can you offer a similar amount of evidence that it does?  Should we take your opinion over hard facts?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yeah,I'm the one changing the dynamics of the argument.....you having the nerve to call anyone out(Wheatskins)for what you perceived as a post that was beneath you is hilarious.You're no different than RMiller with ridiculous arguments over nothing more than you feeling a need to be right even when you aren't.Multiple times I asked what is "running up the score" and each time you came back with every answer but.You know what.Don't bother answering as I don't care what you think if you're going to argue something that you know is ridiculous.To quote your Christmas cheer "GO FUCKK YOURSELF".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I like how listing scores from previous games is referred to as 'cold hard facts'.

Obviously the answer is somewhere in the middle.  It is not a "rule" to let up in lopsided games so much as it is a custom.  But, I do think it is something you can expect from most coaches, and it is 'unwritten'. 

Coaches frequently change the PP units in lopsided games for several reasons:
    1. To avoid embarassing the other team by piling up the goals.
    2. To allow other lines to get some PP time that would normally be reserved for the top guys.  To reward 3rd and 4th lines for their work.
    3. As strategic move, to avoid giving extra motivation to an opponent for future games.
    4. To get some certain player a hat trick or milestone.  A guy with 2 goals will always be out for 3rd period powerplays.

I suspect we all know what dez was trying to say at the beginning of the thread.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated :you having the nerve to call anyone out(Wheatskins)for what you perceived as a post that was beneath you is hilarious.

Wheatskins has to get into a long line for that one. You ,me, everybody........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I like how listing scores from previous games is referred to as 'cold hard facts'. Obviously the answer is somewhere in the middle.  It is not a "rule" to let up in lopsided games so much as it is a custom.  But, I do think it is something you can expect from most coaches, and it is 'unwritten'.  Coaches frequently change the PP units in lopsided games for several reasons: 1. To avoid embarassing the other team by piling up the goals. 2. To allow other lines to get some PP time that would normally be reserved for the top guys.  To reward 3rd and 4th lines for their work. 3. As strategic move, to avoid giving extra motivation to an opponent for future games. 4. To get some certain player a hat trick or milestone.  A guy with 2 goals will always be out for 3rd period powerplays. I suspect we all know what dez was trying to say at the beginning of the thread.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Good post Fletch ! I agree with everything except for that last line .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : You can see by my previous  posts that I feel Boston's team D is responsible for making BOTH goalies job easier.I've mentioned that ,regardless of the number of shots,it's the quality of shots or lack thereof that matters(no rebounds,etc.).Danny,I don't know how many times over the past 2 seasons I have to say that I DON'T CARE who plays goal as long as Boston wins.Saying  my heart doesn't race as much with Rask in goal doesn't mean I don't like TT.It only means I'm less likely to have a heart attack with Rask in goal.I'm every bit as angry when Rask gives up a softie as when TT does.People need to realize it's ok to like both Bruin goalies.No one is forcing them to choose even though that's how people are acting.My favourite goalie is the Bruins goalie.I can't be any clearer than that.No need to apologize either by the way.I say enough other things to enflame everyone on the forum at some point.
    Posted by dezaruchi

alright, i'll take you on your word here. I too don't prefer one over the other, just that the B's win. I will say that Rask is the one who gives me more reason to be nervous if only because he looked like George Vezina himself last half of last season, then turned into Doug Keans v. Philly and then Vincent Riendeau first half of this year. Thomas responded well after looking shaky last 2 shootouts. This is one of the first times btw all year that the two goalies won their most recent start, so at least Julien can go more frequently toward Tuuka if he prefers. Love nothing better than to see both goalies raise the level of play, rather than one going one direction, the other going the opposte.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Yeah,I'm the one changing the dynamics of the argument.....you having the nerve to call anyone out(Wheatskins)for what you perceived as a post that was beneath you is hilarious.You're no different than RMiller with ridiculous arguments over nothing more than you feeling a need to be right even when you aren't.Multiple times I asked what is "running up the score" and each time you came back with every answer but.You know what.Don't bother answering as I don't care what you think if you're going to argue something that you know is ridiculous.To quote your Christmas cheer "GO FUCKK YOURSELF".
    Posted by dezaruchi

Wow, okay Dez.  So much for our banter back and forth, huh?  Just like the others who dislike me, you have nothing to say about the post so you attack the poster.  I thought better of you.  Hey, we all make mistakes.

You are bent because you made a statement, I disagreed, you disagree with me, I provided facts and you provided...nothing.

Running up the score?  If a team is using an emergency goalie and has lost a couple of big players and it's 10-2 with 10:00 left in the third, trying to make it 15 is unsportsmanlike. 

If a team is relatively healthy and using one of their two goaltenders...pile on.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=5646bec2933ed45fcca0dd8ec2171a54&plckUserId=5646bec2933ed45fcca0dd8ec2171a54">
    First: 4/12/2005
    Last: 1/12/2011

I took it that way and was going to post something to that effect, because I know thru old posts that Dez likes Rask over TT.. nothing wrong with that, I prefer Thomas over Rask at the moment , but long term I know Rask is the guy.. I just love the fact Bruins win no matter who is in net that night... bottom line... I was laughing earlier that my buddy PB37 didn't make an appearance last night on this post :)  Surprise!!!  TT pitches a win and a shutout and he's a no show...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Wow, okay Dez.  So much for our banter back and forth, huh?  Just like the others who dislike me, you have nothing to say about the post so you attack the poster.  I thought better of you.  Hey, we all make mistakes. You are bent because you made a statement, I disagreed, you disagree with me, I provided facts and you provided...nothing. Running up the score?  If a team is using an emergency goalie and has lost a couple of big players and it's 10-2 with 10:00 left in the third, trying to make it 15 is unsportsmanlike.  If a team is relatively healthy and using one of their two goaltenders...pile on.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

So as long as it's not a defenceman in net it's ok to "pile on"(as opposed to running up the score-lol).?As you were told by other posters,just because you can name teams that have run up scores doesn't mean it's not generally frowned upon.Basically it's far from being fact.Sorry I went over the top.I shouldn't let my frustration get the best of me.We disagree and it looks like there's no way around it.Once again,I apologize for losing it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

NAS quote

you have nothing to say about the post so you attack the poster.

You stalked duinne the whole summer on almost everything she posted . You followed her around ridiculing her posts claiming she was fabricating while not talking about the topic at all. You've got ballz to be lecturing others about the above. 

I think sandog would back me up when I say you're a hypocrite.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d21a95fdc3c4e624912604863d6dfb1e&plckUserId=d21a95fdc3c4e624912604863d6dfb1e">
    First: 4/18/2009
    Last: 1/12/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3ab9823910-f044-4d8e-ab76-2ddbb52372c1&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion:b9823910-f044-4d8e-ab76-2ddbb52372c1Post:cee33e24-c66f-4363-84a5-535f5d72cf2b">Re: Tonight is the night for some of the goalie know it alls:

Funny now someone is now picking you just like you picked at everything Duinne posted now she isn't here anymore. Just like you said to another poster last week on here F*** Y**! and F*** Y**! for doing evrything you could do to chase Duinne off here!

Sections
Shortcuts