Shots on goal overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Shots on goal overrated

Anyone can go to google and type in"nhl coach running up the score".From there,any reasonable person would recognize that it's a practice that is frowned upon by most in the hockey world(all sports in general).Just because some teams choose to do it doesn't mean they should.Good article about a basketball coach being fired after a 100-0 win that school administrators referred to as "shameless".Maybe that's the difference here.Some posters have no shame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated:
     NAS quote you have nothing to say about the post so you attack the poster.  You stalked duinne the whole summer on almost everything she posted . You followed her around ridiculing her posts claiming she was fabricating while not talking about the topic at all. You've got ballz to be lecturing others about the above.  I think sandog would back me up when I say you're a hypocrite.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

With Duinee, I always stuck to the subject, or the debunking thereof.  She consistently made things up, and spent more time talking about players feelings than hockey.  Whatever.

LOL!  As if I care what Sandog things.  He rarely offers anything in response to what I've posted.  He, like many, tends to attack me instead of my posts about hockey.  That's what happens when people are faced with something they don't like but they cannot debate (see:  above).

As for you, sir, I still read all of your posts and tend to look forward to them.  You, like others, spend your time trying to degrade me, but it doens't work.

So, my Canadian friend, post on!  We'll always have the Bruins...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : With Duinee, I always stuck to the subject, or the debunking thereof.  She consistently made things up, and spent more time talking about players feelings than hockey.  Whatever. LOL!  As if I care what Sandog things.  He rarely offers anything in response to what I've posted.  He, like many, tends to attack me instead of my posts about hockey.  That's what happens when people are faced with something they don't like but they cannot debate (see:  above). As for you, sir, I still read all of your posts and tend to look forward to them.  You, like others, spend your time trying to degrade me, but it doens't work. So, my Canadian friend, post on!  We'll always have the Bruins...
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

It's impossible to debate someone who just puts their hands over their ears singing la la la la la la la la(essentially saying you don't agree so you can't hear what's being said).Whatever.......If feeling like you've won an argument is worth more than your dignity.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Anyone can go to google and type in"nhl coach running up the score".From there,any reasonable person would recognize that it's a practice that is frowned upon by most in the hockey world(all sports in general).Just because some teams choose to do it doesn't mean they should.Good article about a basketball coach being fired after a 100-0 win that school administrators referred to as "shameless".Maybe that's the difference here.Some posters have no shame.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Some posters have no shame?  I guess that's yet another dig at me.

How about this:  Some have no logic.  They use high school basketball games as examples in hockey discussions.  LOL

C'mon Dez.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dez,
    you gotta know by now NAS will only ingest facts, you can indeed back your arguement up by going through youtube/yahoo whatever and finding highlights of thornton, boogard, orr etc playing the power play in lopsided games to support you argument, but with you an actual quote hes not gonna care..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Some posters have no shame?  I guess that's yet another dig at me. How about this:  Some have no logic.  They use high school basketball games as examples in hockey discussions.  LOL C'mon Dez.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

As I said,go and google nhl coaches running up the score.There's plenty on the subject yet you claim to have no concept of the term or it's ramifications.Keep on singing instead of listening.It's doing wonders for your credibility as a poster/debater.Bravo to you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dez, you gotta know by now NAS will only ingest facts, you can indeed back your arguement up by going through youtube/yahoo whatever and finding highlights of thornton, boogard, orr etc playing the power play in lopsided games to support you argument, but with you an actual quote hes not gonna care..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I'm sure that happens, Roler.  Of course it does.  I've never said it doesn't.  But that doesn't mean it's some sort of BS coaches code or unwritten rule.  I have supplied enough data to show that plenty of high skilled players are on the PP late in lopsided games.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, you gotta know by now NAS will only ingest facts, you can indeed back your arguement up by going through youtube/yahoo whatever and finding highlights of thornton, boogard, orr etc playing the power play in lopsided games to support you argument, but with you an actual quote hes not gonna care..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Wikipedia has a page dedicated to running up the score.What I claimed was an unwritten rule is acknowledged by most people in the sports world in general.The mere fact that I have to argue that the concept exists and is frowned upon is ridiculous.It's all  because I said CJ showed class by not trying to run up the score.I stand by that but as I told Nas,he'd argue that black is white if the urge came over him.I've wasted enough energy on this(plus I'm not exactly computer savvy so I don't post links etc.).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I'm sure that happens, Roler.  Of course it does.  I've never said it doesn't.  But that doesn't mean it's some sort of BS coaches code or unwritten rule.  I have supplied enough data to show that plenty of high skilled players are on the PP late in lopsided games. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Why do they have the term running up the score?What's it in reference to?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Posted by dezaruchi

That was a girls high school basketball game where the losing school is a school for girls with mental disabilities. That school only has about 30-40 students. Completely different than a professional hockey game

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : As I said,go and google nhl coaches running up the score.There's plenty on the subject yet you claim to have no concept of the term or it's ramifications.Keep on singing instead of listening.It's doing wonders for your credibility as a poster/debater.Bravo to you.
    Posted by dezaruchi

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/04/can-we-put-an-end-to-the-talk-about-running-up-the-score/related/

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/22/nhl-coaches-must-stop-yapping-about-opponents-padding-the-score/

http://hockeydraft.ca/blog/index.php/2010/01/16/donald-s-cherry-on-running-up-the-score/

and the other side:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2703874

I couldn't find much else.  These don't offer much when it comes to credibility, but I wanted to make you happy by googling "nhl coaches running up the score".  Apparently you didn't have the ability to do the same, or maybe you don't know how to copy and paste links?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Why do they have the term running up the score?What's it in reference to?
    Posted by dezaruchi

For girls' basketball games, ones with mental disabilites apparently.

Nice reference.  100% relevant.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : I'm sure that happens, Roler.  Of course it does.  I've never said it doesn't.  But that doesn't mean it's some sort of BS coaches code or unwritten rule.  I have supplied enough data to show that plenty of high skilled players are on the PP late in lopsided games. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2703874

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/11/canucks-coach-blackhawks-rubbed-it-in.html

http://hockeydraft.ca/blog/index.php/2010/01/16/donald-s-cherry-on-running-up-the-score/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_up_the_score

Seems to me I wasn't the only person to have heard of this unwritten rule/code in hockey.I'm sure you'll find a way to not see these as "facts" that back up my argument(which I still can't believe has taken this long).So this all began by me saying CJ showed class by not running up the score(unwritten rule I said).You've decided somehow that I was just making it up because you've never,ever,ever,even heard of it in your 30 years of studying hockey(a doctorate by now I suppose).You were able to give so many examples of teams that played their good players so that meant it wasn't real.My simple point was that by many in the hockey/sports world it does indeed exist.So there are some examples of other people(who I didn't just make up on the spot)that have also heard of this crazy phenomenom or unwritten rule.So enough already.I'm no longer interested in arguing about nothing with you anymore because you're having a bad day or something.I've had better debates with RMiller for petes sake.RMiller!So forgive me again for feeling a little put off.                            

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : For girls' basketball games, ones with mental disabilites apparently. Nice reference.  100% relevant.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482825,00.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2703874 http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/11/canucks-coach-blackhawks-rubbed-it-in.html http://hockeydraft.ca/blog/index.php/2010/01/16/donald-s-cherry-on-running-up-the-score/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_up_the_score Seems to me I wasn't the only person to have heard of this unwritten rule/code in hockey.I'm sure you'll find a way to not see these as "facts" that back up my argument(which I still can't believe has taken this long).So this all began by me saying CJ showed class by not running up the score(unwritten rule I said).You've decided somehow that I was just making it up because you've never,ever,ever,even heard of it in your 30 years of studying hockey(a doctorate by now I suppose).You were able to give so many examples of teams that played their good players so that meant it wasn't real.My simple point was that by many in the hockey/sports world it does indeed exist.So there are some examples of other people(who I didn't just make up on the spot)that have also heard of this crazy phenomenom or unwritten rule.So enough already.I'm no longer interested in arguing about nothing with you anymore because you're having a bad day or something.I've had better debates with RMiller for petes sake.RMiller!So forgive me again for feeling a little put off.                            
    Posted by dezaruchi

Actually, Dez, if you want to go back and look at it, you stated that it's an unwritten rule that you don't play your top powerplay lines late in the game with the score decided. 

I said I had never heard of it.

You and Chowda jumped all over me for it.

I gave examples showing that plenty of teams play their PP1 and PP2 late in games with the score lopsided.

You and Chowda jumped all over me for it.

You use an example of a girls high school basketball game involved kids with mental disabilities as an example and cite Wikipedia.

I agree that sometimes coaches take their feet off the gas, sometimes they don't.

You and Chowda jump all over me.

See the problem here, Dez?  (or should I just call you Sandog2?)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482825,00.html
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

The whole point of my argument was whether or not the concept of running up the score was even real.This only illustrates it's well known in sports of all levels but now I feel like I'd have better luck arguing ufo's are real.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Actually, Dez, if you want to go back and look at it, you stated that it's an unwritten rule that you don't play your top powerplay lines late in the game with the score decided.  I said I had never heard of it. You and Chowda jumped all over me for it. I gave examples showing that plenty of teams play their PP1 and PP2 late in games with the score lopsided. You and Chowda jumped all over me for it. You use an example of a girls high school basketball game involved kids with mental disabilities as an example and cite Wikipedia. I agree that sometimes coaches take their feet off the gas, sometimes they don't. You and Chowda jump all over me. See the problem here, Dez?  (or should I just call you Sandog2?)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I guess I should've been less specific then since all I've been implying is that some feel you don't play your top players as much at all when a games out of reach.Some coaches will(for whatever reason)and that's fine but you're trying to tell me it wasn't real.As stated,I'm obviously not as computer savvy so as a favour,how about checking more ice-time stats for us?You were able to give many examples of top line players on the PP in a blowout.So now check out how many PP minutes were given to 3rd and 4th line guys in those same blowouts.I mean the guys that never play the PP otherwise.I guess I erred when calling it an unwritten rule as opposed to common practice.What else explains 4th liners on the PP?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shots on goal overrated : Actually, Dez, if you want to go back and look at it, you stated that it's an unwritten rule that you don't play your top powerplay lines late in the game with the score decided.  I said I had never heard of it. You and Chowda jumped all over me for it. I gave examples showing that plenty of teams play their PP1 and PP2 late in games with the score lopsided. You and Chowda jumped all over me for it. You use an example of a girls high school basketball game involved kids with mental disabilities as an example and cite Wikipedia. I agree that sometimes coaches take their feet off the gas, sometimes they don't. You and Chowda jump all over me. See the problem here, Dez?  (or should I just call you Sandog2?)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I hardly think that me saying "you need more study then if you haven't heard of not running up the score" should be considered jumping all over you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't understand all of this talk of being 'jumped all over' or 'attacked' on here.  Everybody gets some criticism here. 

NAS, you're a smart poster with usually interesting arguments and a good sense of humor.  But if you don't understand why people come after you sometimes, you're not very self aware.

You are outspoken, often to the point of being condescending to whoever your arguing with.  You act like everything you don't agree with is stupid.

You take black and white stands on some issues that make no sense.  Like being anti-women's hockey or saying you would never support anyone battling addiction.

You say you stick to the topic, but you've written plenty of personal insults that I've seen.  You called duinne a 'hockey cow' regularly. 

We've all lost our cool at times here before, but lighting up the board with f-bombs on Christmas Day was probably the worst that I have seen.

Now I'm not judging you.  You are welcome to your opinion and I usually agree with it.  I have done most of this stuff too, but I also don't sit here and wonder why I get sh!t from other posters.  I've been called out many times here (rightfully so, most of the time).  You seem to be playing the victim and complaining of people attacking you for no reason...you really don't think you provoke this response??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

This started out as a pretty civil thread, and went downhill pretty fast.  It's also a pretty good example of how not to "make friends and influence people".

At the risk of drawing the ire of 2 people who regularly have interesting thoughts, I say this. 

You both know what the other is trying to infer here.  You can both look back on this thread and see where the spat started, and how it escalated.
      Without having the courage to admit it, the content of your subsequent posts suggests a softening of your very immoveable original positions, but again, you're both too pig headed to give in.  Neither of you really, totally disagree, because it's not a principle, or core hockey value you're arguing.  It's a play on words.

Both of you.  Go back and read everything you've written here, and stop thinking, the guy with the last word wins.

You're both better than that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

This started out as a pretty civil thread, and went downhill pretty fast.  It's also a pretty good example of how not to "make friends and influence people". At the risk of drawing the ire of 2 people who regularly have interesting thoughts, I say this.  You both know what the other is trying to infer here.  You can both look back on this thread and see where the spat started, and how it escalated.   Without having the courage to admit it, the content of your subsequent posts suggests a softening of your very immoveable original positions, but again, you're both too pig headed to give in.  Neither of you really, totally disagree, because it's not a principle, or core hockey value you're arguing.  It's a play on words. Both of you.  Go back and read everything you've written here, and stop thinking, the guy with the last word wins. You're both better than that.
    Posted by stevegm

Wise words indeed.You're absolutely right.I'm sure we all just want to talk about hockey anyway so I'm already past it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

From the Globe today:

“I thought we were trying to show some class and be fair by putting our fourth line out there for the power play,’’ said Julien.

Whether the unwritten rule exists or not, it appears that was the thought process Julien was using.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

From the Globe today: “I thought we were trying to show some class and be fair by putting our fourth line out there for the power play,’’ said Julien. Whether the unwritten rule exists or not, it appears that was the thought process Julien was using.
    Posted by DrCC

That was all I was saying to start with........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

kudos to clode...  there is an "unwritten rule"...its called class. most coaches abide by this rule hoping others will ,when the table has turned.  it's no different than not stealing bases when ahead by 8-10 runs, or not passing the ball when leading by 30.  some coaches don't follow this rule of respect for your fellow competitors...to them i say "you'll get yours"

Sections
Shortcuts