Should Geoff Ward have been fired?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Should Geoff Ward have been fired?

I know . I know . It's a spinoff from another post.

First of all let's say it . The PP stunk last year . No 2 ways about it. Ward was in charge . Does having one aspect of a Stanley cup team not working warrant breaking up a coaching staff that just won the cup ? I'm pretty sure that being in charge of the PP was not his only job. They played pretty good in all other areas of the game . Wasn't he a part of that too ? If the PP comes alive this year is all forgiven with Ward or is he still a bum ?

Sometimes the negative things are magnified and the postives are forgotten. Is this the case with Ward ? ....'Fire'.... away !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired?

I thought about this one for a while after they won.  I still have to go with "yes", unless they give him a different job and give someone else the powerplay.  The worst part of the powerplay was seeing Kaberle hold it, fake a shot, fake another one and then give it Chara for the one timer.  EVERYONE knew it was coming.  If memory serves me correctly, not one went in. 

They can't go another season with such a putrid display.  Some (10%?) rests on Krejci's shoulders for not being able to carry Savard's torch, but I think the rest is on Ward and his inability to create a new powerplay scheme that would work with someone else besides Savard.  Unlike most of the time he was on the ice, I loved seeing #91 on the powerplay.  Surgeon!

In short:  Yeah, give him the boot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

This is the classic case of trying to fix something that's not right, thinking the outcome will improve your results.

We just won the Stanley Cup, that's the best result of all! You can't get better than that.

Usually, when you tinker with what you got, something else goes wrong. And we can only go downhill from here. We're already on the mountaintop.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Plain and simple, Ward is the power play coach.  Look at the numbers, it is not the players imo.  Now is there are larger scheme to the power play that is not being told, for instance is CJ positional play limiting the creativity of Ward.  Nah, I said yes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

We won the Cup with a horrible PP, no Savard, no Kessel, an injured Horton, a disappointing Kaberle, and Lucic playing hurt.

We can only be BETTER with extra cap space, Seguin in his 2nd year, Joe Corvo, and Tuukka Rask hungry to take over the #1 spot.  

Gotta love this team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired?:
    [QUOTE]This is the classic case of trying to fix something that's not right, thinking the outcome will improve your results. We just won the Stanley Cup, that's the best result of all! You can't get better than that. Usually, when you tinker with what you got, something else goes wrong. And we can only go downhill from here. We're already on the mountaintop.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I agree, Wheat, but sometimes things have to be changed.  If they had gone 16-0 in the playoffs, I'd say change nothing.  They won a few games and a couple of series by the skin of their teeth.  They won, and that's the greatest thing ever, but many could have gone the other way.  Showing up with the same horrid powerplay this season would be a major mistake.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired? : I agree, Wheat, but sometimes things have to be changed.  If they had gone 16-0 in the playoffs, I'd say change nothing.  They won a few games and a couple of series by the skin of their teeth.  They won, and that's the greatest thing ever, but many could have gone the other way.  Showing up with the same horrid powerplay this season would be a major mistake.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Agree NAS.  Some other things have changed from the Cup team, for example, Ryder will be in Dallas and Kaberle will be in Carolina.  The team will move on, but a PP refresh with the coaching staff would seem like an appropriate move.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm being lazy this morning, so I'm going to go from memory, but didn't the Bruin PP have pretty good numbers up to December last year?  And it sure wasn't a case of Savard scalpeling up the D if you look at his numbers.  If I'm remembering correctly, then Ward had a system that was working, teams scouted it and shut it down, and then they had nothing.  That looks to me like a coach who's a one trick pony.  As the PP got worse - couldn't even set up time after time - it looked like they were way too concerned with executing a plan that wasn't working even though it was obvious that the opposition were set up to stop them.  Rigidly stupid.  No room for creativity - not pure freelancing, which we did see, but some fluidity that allows for a player like Krejci or Bergeron to beat a guy when the opportunity is there without everyone else stopping because the play's gone off script.  If the team was offensively challenged overall, you might share blame between coaches and players, but this is all coach.

Can't adapt, doesn't trust his players to make plays.  Bye.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Wheat, I'd worry more about the cascade effect of changing players than changing the PP coach.  Yes, they'd have to bring someone in who could work in CJ's overall approach, but that's not impossible.

They could also keep Ward for his other functions and hire a PP consultant to work with him and the team.  Where's Oates these days?  Tampa, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired? : I agree, Wheat, but sometimes things have to be changed.  If they had gone 16-0 in the playoffs, I'd say change nothing.  They won a few games and a couple of series by the skin of their teeth.  They won, and that's the greatest thing ever, but many could have gone the other way.  Showing up with the same horrid powerplay this season would be a major mistake.

Healthy tinkering is good, abrupt change may turn out to be bad for team chemistry.

I think the situation will work itself out with what we have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I think winning the cup saved his job.  Playing the "what if" game, had the Bruins lost to Vancouver, despite the marginal improvement in, the pp he'd have been gone.  The scary thing is if The Habs score an an O.T. goal somewhere along the way Julien may have been gone.    So, it is what it is.  He's on life support.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I went with Fill in _  ...  I wouldn't say fire him,  they still won the cup and why disrupt the coaching staff.  Have him do something else ? 
    I can't say whom on that staff will be good for the position but there's a guy like Jarvis ,  the Habs thrive on their PP and even when Jarvis was there. 
    I'm sure he's been asked on what to do to improve it  and we did see the Bruins try different things .  I personally think it's the entry in the zone .
    I'm glad the Bruins proved they could win without a PP but the regular season is PP run league and this season I think even more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

WOW, I've been preaching about changing the "staff" since the middle of last year, mainly because the current "staff' did not seem to have the Bruins prepared for every game. IMO this fault carried right thru the playoffs as we saw too many nail biting 7 game series. It's not just Ward when you realize that Boychuck continued to allow too many goals from below the circle, or on passes across the crease to open players.[ not only Boychuck on some of these] Don't we all recall that the final 7 goals against were from Boychuck's coverage area? So there's Ward and Houda, and the "guy in the sky", none of them allowed to talk to anyone or discuss strategy. IMO Claude lost his only thinking/skilled assistant when Ramsey left for a head coaching job in Atlanta. I also wonder if the fact that Rammer was not rehired is because Claude does not allow disagreement, and the only way is Claude's way. Just look at how many AHL coaches have been promoted to NHL posts while the Bruins stick with Claude's dudes. Too often it appears that Bruins players forgot "instinct" and waited for a structure to emerge, on the PP especially. Look at the wholesale changes made in the coaching staff in Buffalo, and how the incoming coaches[ Kevyn Adams] were lauded for their capability to bring change and results. Doesn't Don Sweeney or Rafalski present a potential improvement over Houda? Would Recchi be an improvement over Ward?  It will not be "Cup Hangover" that will challenge the Bruins as much as it will be Claude's stubborness; lack of flexibility; lack of innovation; and zero help from the assistants.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I said yes as well. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with this idea of "we won the cup" so everything we did was right. I think the better way to look at it is to disregard the cup, look at any weaknesses the team has and improve upon those. The parity in this league is the best it has ever been and probably the best in all of sports. How many game 7's were decided by a goal, how many game 7's were decided by a goal in OT? It's very very very close between teams. Just because you won a cup last year, it has nothing to do with going forward. You can't stand still in this league. So that brings me back to Ward. As NAS already stated the Kaberle fake shot and passes to Chara were so predictable it would turn my stomach literally. Carrying on from there, oftentimes when that slapshot at the speed of sound would get on the goalie, the rebound would bounce back for a SOG against TT. OK, slightly exaggerated, but you've seen that rebound actually go out of the zone. The ONLY way it would work would be if it got nothing but net, and I don't recall any of those. The Kaberle to Chara passing just wasn't working, and I could write a book about other things that Kaberle could have done, even without shooting. No matter what it wasn't working and it should have been changed long before every one of us idiots saw it, much less the people PAID to see it. Very distressing to me is that the fundamental concept of the pp seems to be lost. You can't just set up for a good shot on goal from the slot with the goalie set, nowadays the goalies are so good that a shot like that is almost a certain save. Nowadays you've got to get the goalie moving and get that shot when he's not set or get rebounds. OK, say what you want about my PP theory, but it very much looks to me like the passing on the PP is just for the sake of passing. It looks exactly like a game of find the open guy and pass it to him and looks NOTHING like setting up for a quality scoring opportunity. Just that it LOOKS disorganized and indecisive to me is an extremely bad thing. The PP just doesn't look right. Just the fact that my hockey mind is trying to redesign the PP is an extremely bad thing. Contrast that with other parts of the Bruins game, the only other tweak I would like to see is to try to exploit Seguin's speed and adapt the system to try to take advantage of that. That's it, my mind doesn't want to jump to tinkering with anything else. Wideman had to go, his weaknesses were glaring. And same to be said for Wheeler, Ryder and Kaberle, IMO they don't have the right stuff to CONSISTENTLY bring you deep into the playoffs. PP weakness is glaring. More than likely it won't take you deep into the playoffs again. Ward has to go. Every team in the league is working at improving their weaknesses this summer. Out of any PLAYOFF team, the Bruins have the most glaring weakness and that's the PP. You have to go to non-playoff teams to find a problem that big. Ward has to go. I started to wonder during the playoffs last year why teams didn't get more aggressive with the Bruins and consciously take penalties. Show Marchand in isolation and tell everyone to do what he did. So what if you get caught? Not likely that the Bruins will convert and the Bruins best offense gets more TOI and more tired and more agitated and more likely to take penalties as your PP has a much better chance than theirs. Shame on them for not fighting fire with fire. 100% positive 29 other teams in the league have figured this out over the summer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]WOW, I've been preaching about changing the "staff" since the middle of last year, mainly because the current "staff' did not seem to have the Bruins prepared for every game. IMO this fault carried right thru the playoffs as we saw too many nail biting 7 game series. It's not just Ward when you realize that Boychuck continued to allow too many goals from below the circle, or on passes across the crease to open players.[ not only Boychuck on some of these] Don't we all recall that the final 7 goals against were from Boychuck's coverage area? So there's Ward and Houda, and the "guy in the sky", none of them allowed to talk to anyone or discuss strategy. IMO Claude lost his only thinking/skilled assistant when Ramsey left for a head coaching job in Atlanta. I also wonder if the fact that Rammer was not rehired is because Claude does not allow disagreement, and the only way is Claude's way. Just look at how many AHL coaches have been promoted to NHL posts while the Bruins stick with Claude's dudes. Too often it appears that Bruins players forgot "instinct" and waited for a structure to emerge, on the PP especially. Look at the wholesale changes made in the coaching staff in Buffalo, and how the incoming coaches[ Kevyn Adams] were lauded for their capability to bring change and results. Doesn't Don Sweeney or Rafalski present a potential improvement over Houda? Would Recchi be an improvement over Ward?  It will not be "Cup Hangover" that will challenge the Bruins as much as it will be Claude's stubborness; lack of flexibility; lack of innovation; and zero help from the assistants.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

ahh you bit Chowdahs bait....
    LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Absolutely, a bird in hand

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired? : ahh you bit Chowdahs bait.... LOL
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Guilty !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I said yes as well. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with this idea of "we won the cup" so everything we did was right. I think the better way to look at it is to disregard the cup, look at any weaknesses the team has and improve upon those. The parity in this league is the best it has ever been and probably the best in all of sports. How many game 7's were decided by a goal, how many game 7's were decided by a goal in OT? It's very very very close between teams. Just because you won a cup last year, it has nothing to do with going forward. You can't stand still in this league. So that brings me back to Ward. As NAS already stated the Kaberle fake shot and passes to Chara were so predictable it would turn my stomach literally. Carrying on from there, oftentimes when that slapshot at the speed of sound would get on the goalie, the rebound would bounce back for a SOG against TT. OK, slightly exaggerated, but you've seen that rebound actually go out of the zone. The ONLY way it would work would be if it got nothing but net, and I don't recall any of those. The Kaberle to Chara passing just wasn't working, and I could write a book about other things that Kaberle could have done, even without shooting. No matter what it wasn't working and it should have been changed long before every one of us idiots saw it, much less the people PAID to see it. Very distressing to me is that the fundamental concept of the pp seems to be lost. You can't just set up for a good shot on goal from the slot with the goalie set, nowadays the goalies are so good that a shot like that is almost a certain save. Nowadays you've got to get the goalie moving and get that shot when he's not set or get rebounds. OK, say what you want about my PP theory, but it very much looks to me like the passing on the PP is just for the sake of passing. It looks exactly like a game of find the open guy and pass it to him and looks NOTHING like setting up for a quality scoring opportunity. Just that it LOOKS disorganized and indecisive to me is an extremely bad thing. The PP just doesn't look right. Just the fact that my hockey mind is trying to redesign the PP is an extremely bad thing. Contrast that with other parts of the Bruins game, the only other tweak I would like to see is to try to exploit Seguin's speed and adapt the system to try to take advantage of that. That's it, my mind doesn't want to jump to tinkering with anything else. Wideman had to go, his weaknesses were glaring. And same to be said for Wheeler, Ryder and Kaberle, IMO they don't have the right stuff to CONSISTENTLY bring you deep into the playoffs. PP weakness is glaring. More than likely it won't take you deep into the playoffs again. Ward has to go. Every team in the league is working at improving their weaknesses this summer. Out of any PLAYOFF team, the Bruins have the most glaring weakness and that's the PP. You have to go to non-playoff teams to find a problem that big. Ward has to go. I started to wonder during the playoffs last year why teams didn't get more aggressive with the Bruins and consciously take penalties. Show Marchand in isolation and tell everyone to do what he did. So what if you get caught? Not likely that the Bruins will convert and the Bruins best offense gets more TOI and more tired and more agitated and more likely to take penalties as your PP has a much better chance than theirs. Shame on them for not fighting fire with fire. 100% positive 29 other teams in the league have figured this out over the summer.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

TLDR

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The only reason he has a job right now is because they won the cup. Had they lost game 7 he would have been fired. When you have 2 units not producing ,then add a player who's strength is the power play and it still struggles then there is only one direction to point the blame finger. Winning the Cup saved him, but they almost lost a Cup because of the lack of production on the power play.At one point I was almost cringing every time the ref put his hand up in crucial situations, power plays are so magnified come playoff time and when your not producing it can deflate a team and swing momentum to the other teams direction. I thought they were very fortunate to get away with it last year and wouldnt want to try it again.
    To me, it was strategy that killed them and that lies at the feet of the guy in charge of it. it was almost painful to watch how much they tried force feeding the point men on the power play. When other teams are focusing on your pointmen and you continue to tery and force the puck to them, something needs to change, and if the coach wont change the strategy then he needs to be changed. I think he needs to coach to the strength of the players, when savard was healthy he was at the half boards and teams had to respect that he could make the cross ice pass, shoot or dish it back to Chara. That always left someone open. When your QB is  point man at the blue line, i'm sorry, that just makes it easier for the other team to defend, especially when he keeps forcing the pass to the other pointman.
    It better change this year or he'll find himself on the outs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

You don't think that Chia, Neely, and Claude already haven't told Ward his is on a short leash(summer break up interview). By letting Kaberle go and trading for Covo that management already looked at the personal and decided what direction that the wanted to go with the power play? No, they are going to wait till training camp and start making those decisions now? This topic was discussed and figured out by draft day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired? : TLDR
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

ok

pp 404
    &
    pp nfg

gw sux

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]You don't think that Chia, Neely, and Claude already haven't told Ward his is on a short leash(summer break up interview). By letting Kaberle go and trading for Covo that management already looked at the personal and decided what direction that the wanted to go with the power play? No, they are going to wait till training camp and start making those decisions now? This topic was discussed and figured out by draft day.
    Posted by lostinbaltimore[/QUOTE]

I can think what I want, you can think what you want.

That doesn't make it true.

I sure as hell hope its true.

I sure know that Ward still has his job and shouldn't.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

Bad,

My opinion is no more right than anybody else but you guys are kicking Ward around like we lost the cup and didn't win it. This summer's been great watching the NHL channel(tonight game 6, tomorrow game 7) and seeing all the games again. Your right the PP s#cked but this year's personal will be different so give it a shot. Does anyone remember coming down the stretch last year how we couldn't get a quality PK and we thought that was going to be our problem in the playoffs. How many PP goals did Vancouver score? One that's all I can remember.

That's my point in a nut shell.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]I think winning the cup saved his job.  Playing the "what if" game, had the Bruins lost to Vancouver, despite the marginal improvement in, the pp he'd have been gone.  The scary thing is if The Habs score an an O.T. goal somewhere along the way Julien may have been gone.    So, it is what it is.  He's on life support.   
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

I agree Scooter.  He has been given a mulligan because the Bruins won a Cup.  If the pp doesn't have a better showing this year then they will need to make a change.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

[QUOTE]I thought about this one for a while after they won.  I still have to go with "yes", unless they give him a different job and give someone else the powerplay.  The worst part of the powerplay was seeing Kaberle hold it, fake a shot, fake another one and then give it Chara for the one timer.  EVERYONE knew it was coming.  If memory serves me correctly, not one went in.  They can't go another season with such a putrid display.  Some (10%?) rests on Krejci's shoulders for not being able to carry Savard's torch, but I think the rest is on Ward and his inability to create a new powerplay scheme that would work with someone else besides Savard.  Unlike most of the time he was on the ice, I loved seeing #91 on the powerplay.  Surgeon! In short:  Yeah, give him the boot.

Well said. Would love to see more of this from you.

Sections
Shortcuts