Should Geoff Ward have been fired?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired?

Wow, have we rung the bell on this subject? In my memory , I thought that Jarvis was a prominent player, along with Gainey. Actually I thought Kasper was a  good defensive forward, but not too sharp as a coach. I, too, would have expected all of the coaches to communicate, but, since they never quite solved the PP problems, particularly with the skills on the ice, some of us suggested that they throw away specific PP matching, and just skate the lines as formulated so that familiarity would improve passing and opportunities. I do remember that they did try this, but still failed because of their predictable dependance on Kaberle and Chara. This has led me to question flexibility, alertness, and change from Claude's structured defense first mode at all times. This does not rank Claude as a bad coach, just one that I think needs to adjust, and infuse some new , and innovative thoughts, from new and innovative assistants, on how this bigger, faster Bruins team plays the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I honestly think you'll see a completely different style of powerplay this year from the Bruins, mainly  because of the pieces they now have. With Savard they had an excellent playmaker, who teed up the powerplay. They tried to replace Savard's playmaking on the PP, and failed.

Now they have Corvo. He can get the puck up, but he is way more of a shooter than Kaberle or Savard, and he has a bomb of a shot. So I figure the PP will end up with Chara and Corvo  on opposite points, and use their strong shots to just put it on the net, and then use the B's srength an toughness to challenge the crease and go for the deflections and the rebounds/second chances. Thinking forwards like Lucic, Horts, Marchand, et al. Fashion a PP style that works to their strengths and not worry about fancy setups. Instead look for Espo-style goals. The '93 Rangers, with Beukeboom/Zubov and Leetch on the points used this same style and it worked well for them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

This is worth a revisit.  The pp in preseason looks a lot better.  Puck movement appears to have a purpose rather than just throwing it around.

Yah, true, preseason, meaningless games and players who will never see a regular season game, but I thought that would add up to a much worse pp.

Maybe Ward got religion this summer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The PP in the playoffs last year was bad, and I don't blame Kaberle.  The use of him and the other players was terrible.  Should Geoff Ward be fired?  Maybe, but they did just win the cup. I don't know what else he contributed to that. He may be an important piece of what is otherwise an extremely well-coached team.  They have also had a solid pp in the past, so I would be inclined to watch what they do with the team this year before passing judgment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired?:
    This is worth a revisit.  The pp in preseason looks a lot better.  Puck movement appears to have a purpose rather than just throwing it around. Yah, true, preseason, meaningless games and players who will never see a regular season game, but I thought that would add up to a much worse pp. Maybe Ward got religion this summer?
    Posted by BadHabitude

Or maybe he read Badhab's 101 ways to cure a PP.

First: 7/2/2008
    Last: 9/27/2011
    I said yes as well.

I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with this idea of "we won the cup" so everything we did was right.

I think the better way to look at it is to disregard the cup, look at any weaknesses the team has and improve upon those.

The parity in this league is the best it has ever been and probably the best in all of sports. How many game 7's were decided by a goal, how many game 7's were decided by a goal in OT? It's very very very close between teams.

Just because you won a cup last year, it has nothing to do with going forward. You can't stand still in this league.

So that brings me back to Ward. As NAS already stated the Kaberle fake shot and passes to Chara were so predictable it would turn my stomach literally. Carrying on from there, oftentimes when that slapshot at the speed of sound would get on the goalie, the rebound would bounce back for a SOG against TT. OK, slightly exaggerated, but you've seen that rebound actually go out of the zone. The ONLY way it would work would be if it got nothing but net, and I don't recall any of those.

The Kaberle to Chara passing just wasn't working, and I could write a book about other things that Kaberle could have done, even without shooting. No matter what it wasn't working and it should have been changed long before every one of us idiots saw it, much less the people PAID to see it.

Very distressing to me is that the fundamental concept of the pp seems to be lost. You can't just set up for a good shot on goal from the slot with the goalie set, nowadays the goalies are so good that a shot like that is almost a certain save. Nowadays you've got to get the goalie moving and get that shot when he's not set or get rebounds.

OK, say what you want about my PP theory, but it very much looks to me like the passing on the PP is just for the sake of passing. It looks exactly like a game of find the open guy and pass it to him and looks NOTHING like setting up for a quality scoring opportunity.

Just that it LOOKS disorganized and indecisive to me is an extremely bad thing.

The PP just doesn't look right.

Just the fact that my hockey mind is trying to redesign the PP is an extremely bad thing.

Contrast that with other parts of the Bruins game, the only other tweak I would like to see is to try to exploit Seguin's speed and adapt the system to try to take advantage of that. That's it, my mind doesn't want to jump to tinkering with anything else.

Wideman had to go, his weaknesses were glaring.
    And same to be said for Wheeler, Ryder and Kaberle, IMO they don't have the right stuff to CONSISTENTLY bring you deep into the playoffs.

PP weakness is glaring. More than likely it won't take you deep into the playoffs again.
    Ward has to go.

Every team in the league is working at improving their weaknesses this summer. Out of any PLAYOFF team, the Bruins have the most glaring weakness and that's the PP. You have to go to non-playoff teams to find a problem that big.

Ward has to go.

I started to wonder during the playoffs last year why teams didn't get more aggressive with the Bruins and consciously take penalties. Show Marchand in isolation and tell everyone to do what he did. So what if you get caught? Not likely that the Bruins will convert and the Bruins best offense gets more TOI and more tired and more agitated and more likely to take penalties as your PP has a much better chance than theirs.

Shame on them for not fighting fire with fire.

100% positive 29 other teams in the league have figured this out over the summer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired? : Or maybe he read Badhab's 101 ways to cure a PP. BadHabitude Posts: 5401 First: 7/2/2008 Last: 9/27/2011 26f9844f15c291d5ae930ecdeccdcfd1 I said yes as well. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with this idea of "we won the cup" so everything we did was right. I think the better way to look at it is to disregard the cup, look at any weaknesses the team has and improve upon those. The parity in this league is the best it has ever been and probably the best in all of sports. How many game 7's were decided by a goal, how many game 7's were decided by a goal in OT? It's very very very close between teams. Just because you won a cup last year, it has nothing to do with going forward. You can't stand still in this league. So that brings me back to Ward. As NAS already stated the Kaberle fake shot and passes to Chara were so predictable it would turn my stomach literally. Carrying on from there, oftentimes when that slapshot at the speed of sound would get on the goalie, the rebound would bounce back for a SOG against TT. OK, slightly exaggerated, but you've seen that rebound actually go out of the zone. The ONLY way it would work would be if it got nothing but net, and I don't recall any of those. The Kaberle to Chara passing just wasn't working, and I could write a book about other things that Kaberle could have done, even without shooting. No matter what it wasn't working and it should have been changed long before every one of us idiots saw it, much less the people PAID to see it. Very distressing to me is that the fundamental concept of the pp seems to be lost. You can't just set up for a good shot on goal from the slot with the goalie set, nowadays the goalies are so good that a shot like that is almost a certain save. Nowadays you've got to get the goalie moving and get that shot when he's not set or get rebounds. OK, say what you want about my PP theory, but it very much looks to me like the passing on the PP is just for the sake of passing. It looks exactly like a game of find the open guy and pass it to him and looks NOTHING like setting up for a quality scoring opportunity. Just that it LOOKS disorganized and indecisive to me is an extremely bad thing. The PP just doesn't look right. Just the fact that my hockey mind is trying to redesign the PP is an extremely bad thing. Contrast that with other parts of the Bruins game, the only other tweak I would like to see is to try to exploit Seguin's speed and adapt the system to try to take advantage of that. That's it, my mind doesn't want to jump to tinkering with anything else. Wideman had to go, his weaknesses were glaring. And same to be said for Wheeler, Ryder and Kaberle, IMO they don't have the right stuff to CONSISTENTLY bring you deep into the playoffs. PP weakness is glaring. More than likely it won't take you deep into the playoffs again. Ward has to go. Every team in the league is working at improving their weaknesses this summer. Out of any PLAYOFF team, the Bruins have the most glaring weakness and that's the PP. You have to go to non-playoff teams to find a problem that big. Ward has to go. I started to wonder during the playoffs last year why teams didn't get more aggressive with the Bruins and consciously take penalties. Show Marchand in isolation and tell everyone to do what he did. So what if you get caught? Not likely that the Bruins will convert and the Bruins best offense gets more TOI and more tired and more agitated and more likely to take penalties as your PP has a much better chance than theirs. Shame on them for not fighting fire with fire. 100% positive 29 other teams in the league have figured this out over the summer.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

tldr

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Should Geoff Ward have been fired? : tldr
    Posted by BadHabitude

Geoff Ward's thoughts also.

Sections
Shortcuts