should have signed Horton

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: should have signed Horton

I think the Bruins would've loved to have Horton back... at the same price but there's no way he was coming back for the same dough. This is his chance at FA for the 1st time so you can't blame the guy for trying to get as much as someone is willing to pay him. Will the team miss him maybe maybe not who knows.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Davey- i really do not like wasting my time but i will explain this once. 

based on what u said - they should get rid of krejci too!

This makes ZERO sense.  Krejci consistently gets around 50 points a season.  Why would they get rid of him?  "IT'S THE REGULAR SEASON THAT HELPS YOU GET TO THE POSTSEASON OR SETS YOU UP FOR THE POSTSEASON".-  This was said by danny - Now if u follow the bruins u would know that krejci has not fared well in reg season   certainly not what we expected . horton has done about the same in reg season (with much ,oye PIM's). Hence. if we should not sign Horton since he apparently does not do well in reg season then we do not sign krejci either. 

I say u need both - even f Horton has his off days in reg season so does Krejci, every player does -

1) learn how to use the 'quote' function.

2)David Krejci doesnt do well in the reg season? Lets take a look at some regular season numbers.

08-09: 22g-51a-73pts

09-10:17g-35a-52pts (lowest point total of these 4 years.)

10-11: 13g-49a-62pts

11-12: 23g-39a-62pts

His lowest point total of these years was still above 50 points. How has he not 'fared well'?  With his regular season numbers and leading the league in points in the post-season 2 out of the last 3 years, id say hes done much more than 'fare well'.  What else do you expect from him?  Maybe you are looking for too much if you dont think he's fared well.  He's been one of the best players on this team since joining the regular lineup.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Again, I think we will miss Horton and I personally was a fan of the guy for sure.

But I don't like the notion that the Bruins need to time their contract offers and make them earlier than necessary, lest a player get offended.  PC needed to wait until the end of the season to best approach some very diificult decisions.  So be it.  I haven't heard Rask complain about waiting to be signed.

Horton has been good to the Bruins, and the Bruins have been very good to Horton, who was fading away in Floridian obscurity.

I think this is a case where both parties can be happy about what they had, but at the same time not regret a split.  I would be very wary of a long-term, big money contract, even with his inspiring playoff performances.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Fletch i agree.  Loved Horton.  A little inconsistent, but he's a hell of a player and was a great Bruin! And he will be missed.

This is a sport made up of tough as nails guys.  They are big boys, any GM that would sign a guy 6-8 months early to spare some feelings is out of his mind and doesnt belong in the NHL.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Big mistake! letting go of Horton . They should have signed him way before his contract was terminated. Natham loved Boston - he's a top 3 forward but Chiarelli and company wanted to wait til the end - thats what you get.  Horton wanted to sign Pc wanted to wait and see how he recovered from his injury and how he'd do in playoffs, sure Pc how dumb do you think Horton is? Thanks for destroying the number one line in hockey . 

I have a feeling he's going to Toronto

How do you know this? Teams and players do not usually announce negotiations are taking place, until they're close to a deal.

How do you know that they did not try to sign him during the season?

Maybe the team asked to negotiate an extension, and it was Horton that declined.

We as fans, never know what is happening behind the scenes. No sense complaining about things, when we never have all the facts.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

a) Rask needs to be signed

b) Concussion history

c) Who says the Bs didn't try to extend him? Players want to go to UFA and get paid.

d) You can't just throw money at players who sleepwalk through the regular season and have a good playoffs.

I like Horton. I think he's an excellent player. So do a bunch of GMs, and he'll get a sizeable contract. But if salary has to be dumped, his isn't the worst contract to go. Let's chill and see where the chips fall. Another forward will be added. We just don't know how it's going to piece together yet.

You forgot a1) ... Bergy needs to be extended... Horton was priority number 3... My guess he didn't like it and exercised his option as a UFA....no questioning Horton's playoff record, but lately this guy has been injury prone and someone is going to step up and pay big time and hope that this guy stays healthy ... 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Marco,

Your new here, might want to read up a bit before you stat posting and answering every reply. Horton agent informed the team he would be testing free--agency. Is it because PC failed to give him an extension? Who knows. Did you expect to keep everyone with the cap going down?

Dont you think with his recent concussion issues, the fact they happened so close to each other and their experience with Savard played a role in PC being hesitant to sign him long term, especially with Rask becoming a RFA and the cap going down?

so if i understand correctly - Pc should wait till the ensd with every player - right?

he surely has not done that but he did it with Horton - he's not one of the top 5 pieces - he's one of the top 3

and again fletch- why does it mean somebody else cannot stay - why/ cuz what pc says goes- not for me!

Buyouts! use them!- why did Pc say he wont be using any buyouts - why put constraints when they are there to be used. Fletch don't worry about the finances of Jacobs - they ve made plenty of money we can never imagine- just worry about the bruins being a stanley cup contender year in and year out

Oh boy, I'm gonna second what Kel just said.  Some reading up on this would help.  I'll respond to a few things, but then I think I'm done here as the key points have been made a number of times by a number of posters.

"so if i understand correctly - Pc should wait till the ensd with every player - right?"

No, who said that?  PC should do whatever works works best for the team.  A players feelings should not necessarily influence when an offer is made.  In this case (consider the cap reduction), it made sense to wait and see how things played out.  Smart move.  Next time it might make sense to sign a guy early (like Bergeron).  Remember that Horton said he is leaving before free agency even started.

"Fletch don't worry about the finances of Jacobs - they ve made plenty of money we can never imagine- just worry about the bruins being a stanley cup contender year in and year out"

marco, this is where you need to brush up on things and get up to speed. The finances of Jacobs are totally irrelevent.  Not an issue.  We are talking about the salary cap, and a reduction in this cap which I'm thinking you are not aware of.  Check out CapGeek to get a sense for what everyone else is referring too.  The Bruins can only spend to the cap.  The Bruins are very close to that number.  Jacobs personal finances do not play into this at all, since he confirmed that the Bruins are spending to the cap.

Seriously, take a look at the capgeek numbers and then factor in the upcoming free agents that the Bruins might want to keep.  Everyone can't stay, whether you "go for that" or not.  Tough decisions have to be made.  Horton just made one for us.  

Kelvana, - pls - the cap should not be an issue when you really want to keep someone- they have buyouts - i keep mentioning this but no one is listening. I really don.t mind if they buy out PEv to sign a key player whether that would be horton or any other key player.

there is one thing tho i must consider- this might very well be jacobs's conditions not PC.

I mean Pc has made the trade of the decade in getting Horton - quite certain he'd want to keep him if he had his way wespecially if it were clear he can exercise the buyouts but he cannot - there goes the Jacobs once again- must not be the easiest owners to work for that's for sure 

marco, stop.  Jacobs has nothing to do with this.  Horton wants to be a free agent.

And yes, the cap is an issue.  Buyouts would do very little to help the Bruins this year.

I suggest more reading, less commenting.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I have to believe YOU understand this.  If Horton TRULY wanted to stay here, he'd sign a contract to stay here. 

btw Fletch do not compare rask to horton he's A rfa not a Ufa 

Oh, I was under the impression the Bruins were looking to sign both guys this summer...no?

You know, like at the same time, with the same small pot of money...that's why you compare and contrast which guy is more of a priority.

Get up to speed marco.

i have to believe some of u inderstand this - if u do not by now - well that's it.

No, no, I'm sure the dozen regular posters trying to explain a simple concept to you are all wrong, and you're right.

Tell us how Jacobs finances are immune to the salary cap again...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Marco must be Stanley's brother....hmmm?

Big mistake! letting go of Horton . They should have signed him way before his contract was terminated. Natham loved Boston - he's a top 3 forward but Chiarelli and company wanted to wait til the end - thats what you get.  Horton wanted to sign Pc wanted to wait and see how he recovered from his injury and how he'd do in playoffs, sure Pc how dumb do you think Horton is? Thanks for destroying the number one line in hockey . 

I have a feeling he's going to Toronto

Before we can explain anything to you, you have to understand that his contract was not terminated, it expired, thus making him a free-agent.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hty239. Show hty239's posts

Horton...yes he is very solid and had a wonderful first 3 rounds of the playoffs.

Sure, at a reasonable price, the B's would love to have him back...but, concussion woes, constant injury conerns (I realize there are other players who fit this too) and the fact he seems to "check out" at certain times during the season, all contribute to a player who is a definite risk. 

If you go back to before he got here, there were definte character concerns.  He behaved off the ice, but there were periods of time he didn't show up in the regular season.

The notion is that he is unreplaceable is laughable. 

Right now, the line-up could look like this: (IF THEY DO NOTHING/plug in the players as you see fit)

Lucic Krecji Seguin

Marchand Bergeron Soderberg

Paille Kelley Caron

Peverly Thorton Campbell

Chara  Seidenberg

Boychuck Bartkowski

Krug  McQuaid

Tukka

Svedberg (or whoever)

Not that much different than a team that was within a couple of bounces of winning it all...let's face it, Horton was MIA in the finals. 

Yes, we will miss him.  But to think that it is doom and gloom is foolish.  And who knows, maybe someone walks in that door that makes all of us forget him.  With the crazy cap issues, anything can happen.

all right since u posters seem to be so brilliant- why do u not explain to me why it is we cannot afford him because of the cap- i will admit i do nt follow the cap like some of you but pls explain it to me- i also noticed that some of u really think u know ur stuff cuz u han around here and everyone agees with you much like a cult however that is another whole issue

so go ahead fletch explain to me the cap - it might very well be something i missed - a si said  i am not a cap fanatic like some of u

i am waiting

Here you go:

http://capgeek.com/bruins/

Spent too much time with you already, but I'm sure you can read up on it all by yourself.  Consider that you still need to sign another forward, Rask ($7-ish?), and a backup goalie for this year.  Bought out players need to be replaced, and if you think PC should buy out all of the veterans forwards and throw Julien a bunch of rookies, you're out to lunch (more so).  Bergeron, Seidenberg, and Krug need to be resigned next year and all will want raises.  Another D-man (Bartkowski) and forward (Thronton) will also need to be signed or replaced.  The next year you have 8 UFAs.

Ideally, you would have read up on this first, then started a thread and argued with everyone who was trying to explain it, but whatever.

And what you won't find on Capgeek is the simple truth that you can't sign someone who wants to leave...which makes this whole thread pretty much moot... 

Thanks for coming.

Pretty cut and dry Marco.

1. Would you be hesitant to offer a long term contract to a player with two significant concussions in a short period of time with both of them happening recently?

2. Would you at least want to see how he finishes the current season, you risk losing him, but you also know you have your best offensive player done due to concussions, your current best overall player with concussion issues???

3. You cannot buyout an injured player.

4. The cap is going down this season, I have Rask an RFA and Bergeron contract coming up..Do you think any of these play a role in PC's mindset? Or do you want to just blame Jacobs?

5. Every decision made on player personnel, is made with the cap in mind. That is a fact.

And be careful how you answer. Sometimes it's just best to sit back and learn.

• Sections
    Shortcuts