Should Marchand be suspended

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from surfingdjc. Show surfingdjc's posts

Should Marchand be suspended

According to the clipping rule. You can't take a player out below the knees. This hit was at the waste.....plain as day. Therefore regadless of it's intent you cannot suspend him for a clip if it is not a clip. Case in point Cooke on Savard. When that waste of a player Cooke hit Savard there was no rule on head shots yet just attemt to injure (which I think it was.) Therefore the NHL did not suspend Cooke. Unfortunately for us the call would be right because there was no head shot rule yet and the NHL didn't see it as intent to injure. So since Marcahnd's is not a clip there shouldn't be a suspension. 
       So far I like what Shanahan has done. Let's see what happens today. If he is suspended then he is bowing to pressure from the precious Canucks.
       I like Marchand and he is a weasel. He is dirty at times like with Niskenen. But i don't think this hit is dirty. Scott Stevens did this a lot and the league thought it was great back then. 
       On another note. Check out HNIC coaches corner from Saturday night. Cherry wouldn't directly call out Marcahnd but he did call out Wise for not fighting Thorton. Also They cleary admitted that the think Jack Edwards is biased yet Cherry also pointed out how biased Vancouvers announcers are. I had to watch the game on NHL network with there announcers and they were pathetic. They are still complaining about the finals and the Bruins tactics. They also said the Bruins have a Pack mentality. I call that a team mentaility which is why we one the cup..

Nuff said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Re: Should Marchand be suspended

No he shouldn't.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ac3boogi3. Show Ac3boogi3's posts

NO! same thing happened to lucic in the playoffs last year against the same team and there wasnt even a penalty called!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

yes, at least 2 games, his intent was obvious, he didnt even try to play the puck it was a dirty play and Marchand is a repeat offender. forget hamhuis/lucic what happend last year doesnt matter, if you dont think this was a dirty play by marchand then you are a homer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheHitDawg. Show TheHitDawg's posts

No. I have seen this hit numerous times NOT called in the past. Unfortunately, (according to the Canucks of course) Salo was hurt on the play. But it was not intentional at all. Going on past non calls, this should not warrant suspension in my opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

The simple fact it is taking them so long to make a ruling tells me that he might actually not get suspended. Just think.. they may have to deal with the fact that the refs blew not one bu 2 calls in teh same game resulting in 2 of the tems best players getting ejected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No......Vancover is still obsessive over their loss in the Stanley Cup final to the Bruins at the same time Vancover thought it was a pay back by the Bruins after one of the Vancover knocked out Horton from the series!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I felt he was ducking the hit and trying to squeeze between salo and the boards and in the process, he braced himself. Of course that did not happen, the squeezing between the boards. As was mentioned in an earlier post. Chara and the tall guys always get penalized for getting there hands and sticks up, when it comes to smaller players. Briere is a classic. Always drawing penalties toward the bigger guy, because he is small like marchand. Its a normal reaction for someone smaller to duck under or down a bigger player. Im at a difference as to whether a suspension is deserved. If he gets one, then fine, if not, thats fine too. Too tough to call.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Should Marchand be suspended:
    [QUOTE]yes, at least 2 games, his intent was obvious, he didnt even try to play the puck it was a dirty play and Marchand is a repeat offender. forget hamhuis/lucic what happend last year doesnt matter, if you dont think this was a dirty play by marchand then you are a homer.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

Homer, then, I guess.  The game was full of "dirty" hits and Marchand's wasn't as bad as many.  He didn't go for Salo's knees - watch the replay.  Plays like that happen all the time and the problem is really that Salo got hurt as he bore down on Marchand who went low - suggests that Salo was the player who wasn't in control.  It was intense hockey at an intense part of an intense 2-2 game.  He'll get 2 games because of the injury and the NHL not being able to ignore the Vancouver whiners, with Vigneault and Gillis at the top of that list. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

No way. Marchand just avoiding the check/run and Salo was the one who ended looking like a fool. Check out his little stick fling suck fit if you don't believe me.   But the Bruin hate is at such a riculous level around the league that a suspension seems quite likely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

A suspension is absurd. Salo is taking a run at Marchand and he ducks. Big deal! Salo has 6 inches and 30 pound on Marchand. What is he supposed to do get cross-checked by a defenseman who is trying to mash him face-first into the boards? He shouldn't even get a penalty on this play because it's the only fair way a much smaller player can defend himself from a much bigger player who is clearly intent on clobbering him. He got him between the knees and the waist, so what's so illegal about that? One of the beauties of the NHL is that you have a mix of sizes. Small clever players can skate and play with much bigger players, but they really need to be able to defend themselves against goons like Salo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]NO! same thing happened to lucic in the playoffs last year against the same team and there wasnt even a penalty called!
    Posted by Ac3boogi3[/QUOTE]

Right on. Exactly. Lucic got taken out in the same manner last year. No he should not be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

What is terribly wrong with hockey at the NHL level, is these discussions are pretty much "the news".  They've supplanted hockey talk.  Every nite another victim, another bad guy, another hearing......and the masses sit on the edge of their seats.  Lots of drama, but it all seems to start after the games, instead of within the games.
     Was something suspendable or wasn't it ?  Why?  Lets argue about it, lets watch a panel argue over it.
    Hockey is becoming more like daytime television, every passing moment.
    Disgusting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

let's hope that Shanahan doesn't make his decision based on Salo's injury....  this guy gets hurt just getting out of bed in the morning....

that said, i'd be surprised if Marchand doesn't get suspended considering all the hullabaloo although all he was trying to do was avoid a hit....  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricRGreen. Show EricRGreen's posts

If this was a montreal player, you would all be commenting about how the player was not man enough to take a hit and had to duck for "self preservation".

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

This "homer" feels that there should be no suspension, I don't even think it should have been a penalty. Marchand looked to make a hip check and not take out Salo at the knees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]yes, at least 2 games, his intent was obvious, he didnt even try to play the puck it was a dirty play and Marchand is a repeat offender. forget hamhuis/lucic what happend last year doesnt matter, if you dont think this was a dirty play by marchand then you are a homer.

I guess that makes Salo a dirty player too because his intent wasn't the puck either. Unless he was deciding to stickhandle with his stick up his rear going backwards.

And homerism has nothing to do with knowing what the rule book states to discuss this hit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Please explain what rule Marchand broke during this "dirty play".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Funny, sitting on the bus or in the cafe, seems everyone is talking about this out here. It's pretty much unanimous that it was the dirtiest play EVER and that he'll get the max suspension.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Funny, sitting on the bus or in the cafe, seems everyone is talking about this out here. It's pretty much unanimous that it was the dirtiest play EVER and that he'll get the max suspension.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

On the weather channel they show how the flu epidemic is across Canada. For Vancouver they show amnesia at a high level. 

Raymond's hit on Marchand in the finals ? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

"they really need to be able to defend themselves against goons like Salo"

Now I didn't like the penalty call either (since it was above the knee and therefore not clipping by definition), but you can't really go bring up the "goonery" of players like Soft Sami Salo who makes Kaberle seem rugged.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts