Shupe...is it time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Shupe...is it time?

How many points does he have now ?  and is it up to Shupe's standards ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not saying a thing!  We'll see what direction Shupe takes and if he tries to spin it or not.

LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Lord I almost missed this fellas

11 goals- 9 assists.  40 pims.  3rd liner. 

He would rank 5th in team goals on the Bruins.  And is off buy 5 for team lead.
    He would rank 3rd in hits behind Lucic(0ver 100) and Thorton(70+).   
    He still gets PP/PK time.

I guess I can't put much spin on this.  I wanted him and stated he would crack 20 goals.  I truly believe as a 3rd-4th liner he would be more than an ideal fit for the Bruins team.  Considering he plays on the best team in hockey I am assuming he could land a gig on just about any team in the role he plays.  

Shall we meet in another 20 games?  

N-O-T did you believe he would have this many goals?  again, look how many he is behind our top goal producers?  A guy like Horton has 12?  Ryder 13? Bergie 14?

At 1 million dollar salary would he have been worth a look?   I still believe he would have fit in well.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shupe...is it time?:
    [QUOTE]who you talkin' about?
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]
    Raffi Torres in Vancouver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Torres is in an interesting player. Personally I don't hate him, but he seems to have earned his ticket out of town a couple times now. I wouldn't mind seeing him land here this summer if two or three of the current players aren't resigned, he's got snarl which is something oh... one or three players I could name probably can't spell much less produce.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shupe...is it time? : Raffi Torres in Vancouver.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Torres went to Buffalo and did absolutely zero to help them. Why would he be that much better on the Bruins??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

bogie,

i know you likely don't know what this is about.  Prior to the start of this season I said RT would have a been a nice pickup.  No picks or players as he was a UFA.  Just money.  He signed for 1 million bucks. 
    N-O-T and I had a friendly debate and agreed to come back at the 1/2 point to discus how he is doing.  I said he would crack 20 goals. 

It has nothing to do with what he did in Buffalo. Columbus or Edmonton.  It was about this year.  The fact he is playing a nice role on the 3rd line in Van tells me he likely could have helped this year.  Especially on the PP where we have issues. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OK Shupe, I guess we all have our favorites, but Rafi never earned my interest. Being in Van allows more opportunity as most teams focus on their top two lines. he might have helped the bruins if REX had retired since playing with Bergeron would help any player who can skate and work hard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bogie,

Valid pt about being in Van, but it also works the other way as well since he plays on the 3rd line and likely could have received more ice time on another unit.  When Recchi came back I knew we wouldnt land him and I wasnt sure that Marchand would have produced like he has.  But at the time I wanted him.  Thought his energy, speed, hitting and secondary scoring would come in handy.  The fact he is good for the PP is also a plus.

I guess I have always liked his energy. He plays hard and doesnt take many nights off.  Which is the polar opposite of guys we have like Horton, Wheeler and Ryder.  Even when Torres isnt scoring he is hitting. 

Anyway...its a moot point. But N-O-T and I agreed to keep this going through out the year.  It was all in fun

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Bogie, Valid pt about being in Van, but it also works the other way as well since he plays on the 3rd line and likely could have received more ice time on another unit.  When Recchi came back I knew we wouldnt land him and I wasnt sure that Marchand would have produced like he has.  But at the time I wanted him.  Thought his energy, speed, hitting and secondary scoring would come in handy.  The fact he is good for the PP is also a plus. I guess I have always liked his energy. He plays hard and doesnt take many nights off.  Which is the polar opposite of guys we have like Horton, Wheeler and Ryder.  Even when Torres isnt scoring he is hitting.  Anyway...its a moot point. But N-O-T and I agreed to keep this going through out the year.  It was all in fun
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Horton has been working hard as of late even though the results aren't there.Once the goals start he'll hopefully go on a roll.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Hard to believe you 2 senile old fools can remember back to the summer, I know I can`t.  Nice thread, though I may like Torres, I don`t want him as a B.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Dez,

When they landed Horton I was thrilled.  He started out like the next coming of a 30-40 goal man and a 1st line fwd.  I agree he has been bringing it lately.  I am not sure what his problem is.  He isnt a young player anymore so he cant use that excuse.  He should be an 80 pt guy every year. 

I also think Savy is starting to come around.  I am hoping that those 2 along with Lucic really start clicking.  When you have one dependable line the rest seems to flow.  Look at Washington and their struggles.  Its no big surprise that when Ovie/Backs arent scoring the team struggles.  When they are scoring and the secondary players are doing their thing its a lethal mix.

Big game today.  Looking fwd to it.

Cheers fellas

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No4,

Well I did turn 39 on saturday.  And my 3 yr old makes me feel 60.  Its a nice balancing act.  Haha

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So Shupe,  correct me if I'm wrong but you said 20 for the year,  right ?

While he did start strong I'm thinking he will barely crack 20 for a full year.  I could be wrong and you right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I said 20.  He has 11 in 40.  I am no math major but that seems like he is on pace.  Although I will concede he did have a streak early in the year.  So he may be hard pressed to crack 20.  But how many 20 goal scorers will this team have? 1-2?  Maybe 3.  That was also part of my argument.  When you don't have a true go to guy you need the secondary scoring.  You need it even if you do have a sniper.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'll be back home a the end of February and I'm going to the Canucks Bruins game while there... It'll be great to see how they match up, and hopefully it will be a preview of the Cup final.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Took me a little long to get back, sorry about that.

His five goal outburst in three games skews his overall numbers for me.  Yes, they all count and I'm the first to point to that, but when we're projecting a full season (and a full season impact) I think that's important to note.

I won't compare his numbers to those of the B's simply because they are two very different squads with very different approaches. 

I see a player with 11 goals and nine assists on the third highest scoring team in the west.  I see one of two regular forwards in the minus category.  (Yes, I know +/- is a weak category, but when everyone else but him and Tanner Glass are sub even, it sticks out.)  I see a guy who is very much like just about every other fringe player in the NHL, as they say, "nothing to write home about".

Hindsight:  If Boston did sign him, who wouldn't have had a job?  Marchand.  Obviously, that would have been tragic.  Also, if he were on Boston, his point totals would most likely be lower due to the more defensive style of the Bruins.

Verdict after 40 games from me:  I'm still happy he's elsewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Attaboy way to pat yourself on the back you should be proud!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I was wondering where you were.  You forgot hits.  And like you said, as a fringe player(which is what he is) he is having a decent season.  he plays on a very productive 3rd line.  Pts for those guys arent always that easy to get considering who they normally match up against.

I would prefer him over a handful of our current players. 

We can talk after another 40 games and playoffs as a bonus round.

We can't compare.  But do the exact same thing with Horton.  His 1st two weeks- month.  What has he done since?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And N-O-T,

And they are the 3rd highest scoring team in the league.  Guess who is 3rd on the team in goals?  Yeah. Two guys Kesler and Daniel with more. 

Just to see what a complete team does in terms of hits.  Look at their lineup.  Totally off topic but impressive. 

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/van/stats

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I said 20.  He has 11 in 40.  I am no math major but that seems like he is on pace.  Although I will concede he did have a streak early in the year.  So he may be hard pressed to crack 20.  But how many 20 goal scorers will this team have? 1-2?  Maybe 3.  That was also part of my argument.  When you don't have a true go to guy you need the secondary scoring.  You need it even if you do have a sniper.
    I think Boston will have at least five 20 goal scorers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

dez,

I think you could be right.  I don't see Horton staying in neutral long. 
    Bergie, Lucic and Ryder should hit 20.  I think Wheeler and Horton will as well. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]No4, Well I did turn 39 on saturday.  And my 3 yr old makes me feel 60.  Its a nice balancing act.  Haha

happy bday shupe. i turned 39 on friday. at least we can say we saw the b's win a cup. i don't remember it, but '72 was a good yr.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez, I think you could be right.  I don't see Horton staying in neutral long.  Bergie, Lucic and Ryder should hit 20.  I think Wheeler and Horton will as well. 
    I'm not willing to count Marchand out of the equation.11 second half goals isn't a crazy thought is it?He seems to be loving playing with Bergeron and vica versa.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This is a fun thread, lots of comment and a few side perspectives. Enjoy your 39 as I am twice that and still as opinionated as ever. Wish REX would move to the 4th line, but Claude doesn't have that kind of alertness, and Bergie/Marchand are really playing well in all areas. Chia has a tough role as he cannot make a move unless he clears cap space and all lines are humming. Of Course that's why he gets the big bucks.