Shut Savard down for the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Shut Savard down for the year

First, I'm frightened of the thought of a third concussion if he comes back this year. The way the players hit these days, not letting up even if they see the opponent is vulnerable, even a clean hit could finish a fragile Savard.

Second, even if Savard comes back how effective will he be? He had no camp and has been slow to recover, still not anywhere near his old form and yet his coming back would eat a considerable chunk of cap space in return for mediocre production at best.

Maybe the best move is to shut him down and use the freed up cap space to make a trade. Barring injuries, Mark Stuart will not be able to work his way back into the lineup, given the play of McQuaid and Kampfer. They also have two 1st round picks they could dangle. They could be in a position to get a good forward. just don't wait until the deadline when all that's ever available are overpriced rentals.

I'd like to see them acquire someone with heart, intensity and consistency and who will push the guys who don't show up every night. I'm talking forwards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: Shut Savard down for the year

In Response to Shut Savard down for the year:
    [QUOTE]First, I'm frightened of the thought of a third concussion if he comes back this year. The way the players hit these days, not letting up even if they see the opponent is vulnerable, even a clean hit could finish a fragile Savard. Second, even if Savard comes back how effective will he be? He had no camp and has been slow to recover, still not anywhere near his old form and yet his coming back would eat a considerable chunk of cap space in return for mediocre production at best. Maybe the best move is to shut him down and use the freed up cap space to make a trade. Barring injuries, Mark Stuart will not be able to work his way back into the lineup, given the play of McQuaid and Kampfer. They also have two 1st round picks they could dangle. They could be in a position to get a good forward. just don't wait until the deadline when all that's ever available are overpriced rentals. I'd like to see them acquire someone with heart, intensity and consistency and who will push the guys who don't show up every night. I'm talking forwards.
    Posted by niftybear[/QUOTE]

Unless Savard's career is over, and if thats the case, it probably won't be decided til next season...a rental is a good option for PC.  It doesn't tie him up going into next year.  Rentals, usually carry with them, expiring contracts, so even if they're a bit overpriced, you're only carrying about 20% of their finacial baggage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

But would you give up a high pick for a rental only? I would only do that if I was sure I could re-sign the rental. Admitedly, I don't ponder much about the GM side of sports.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Nifftybear !   "He had to no camp"  What does that mean ?  Just curious.....I was really pulling for savard before this last injury. I thought too Niffty that his game was coming around and he would be great going into the third and final season. But I don't think there is enough time left for him to come around. For him to come back next season for another try, of coarse, is totally up to him, but I think every Bruin fan, would cringe everytime he steps out on to the ice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

I meant he had no training camp last fall so all season long he is playing catch up in his conditioning and timing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

From all reports the Bruins will shut down Savard, onLTIR. His text to Chiarelli indicates he is suffering and quite emotional. Chia can solve the problem and doubts by bringing up Zach Hamill who, according to a variety of reports, is playing quite well. Even Chia mentioned that hamill is finally demonstrating his capabilities. It's also an inexpensive move, and since Hamill knows Claude's defensive first system there is very little learning curve. Put him in between Ryder and Seguin; move Wheeler to play with Campbell and Paille [ sitting Thornton] and the Bruins team speed and skills are enhanced.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

I guess it's now or never for Hamill. I was wondering if we'd ever see him. If 5 mil is freed up in cap space I expect some kind of deadline deal to be done as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

The only things which should be considered in determining what to do with Savard, are what is best for Marc Savard and what is Marc and his family most comfortable with.  Strategic cap maneuverability should play absolutely no role whatsoever.  If it does then I hope that Karma wipes out whatever potential benefits may come of it.  Fortunately I think the B's agree and only us posters are looking at this as an opportunity to increase the productivity of his cap hit.  I truly hope that my favorite team in all of sports operates with a high ethical standard, as a fan it is important to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Shut Savard down for the year:
    [QUOTE]The only things which should be considered in determining what to do with Savard, are what is best for Marc Savard and what is Marc and his family most comfortable with.  Strategic cap maneuverability should play absolutely no role whatsoever.  If it does then I hope that Karma wipes out whatever potential benefits may come of it.  Fortunately I think the B's agree and only us posters are looking at this as an opportunity to increase the productivity of his cap hit.  I truly hope that my favorite team in all of sports operates with a high ethical standard, as a fan it is important to me.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]
    I agree that Savards' health should be the only determining factor in regards to whether or not he returns to play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the problem is what does it mean "to be cleared to play"- he was cleared last spring when he obviously wasn't ok...effects lasted until this fall. if he "feels" better and wants to play and gets "cleared" again- i truly fear for his health. this should not be up to savard-the team doctors and mgmt. have to step in to save savvy from himself- for the season- i don't care about cap space- the b's shouldn't change too much- they have a very good team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Rickeyhussle, nobody suggested taking advantage of or disrespecting Savard like you imply. What you say would be true if someone suggested that Savard come back too soon before he's ready. It's Savvy's decision and nobody else's, but nobody ever implied he come back too soon. I implied that if they shut him down for his own safety's sake (he came back too soon last year on his own decision) then the Bruins have a good opportunity to patch that hole with his freed up cap room. I thnk your comment was unnecessary and a bit high horse. Either that or you just didn't understand what I meant.

Also, when Savard decides he's ready to come back, then the team will have doctors look at him and make an assesment rather than let him call the shot like you want. Finally Julien and Chia will make the decision. They already did it that way earlier this year. Sheesh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Shut Savard down for the year:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shut Savard down for the year : I agree that Savards' health should be the only determining factor in regards to whether or not he returns to play.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    I am worried about his emotional state. He has always been known as an emotional guy and I think the last two concussion are going to/ or have taken a huge toll on his emotional state.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

At least he has his other gig to fall back on...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I saw that show with my wife... he's pretty good!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Its near official, he is shutdown for the rest of the year