Sign Clark

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Sign Clark

I'm confused. All this talk about the final roster spots and Pouliot vs. Caron vs. Arniel vs. Clark vs. whatever....and we've forgotten that the Bruins have cap flexibility.

So sign the guy.

Hey, I personally like Caron for the 13th spot, but injuries will happen. Slumps will happen. If you start the season with a guy in Providence because he has a 2-way contract while the veteran doesn't, then so be it. It's a long season. Clark won't command a huge salary. He's a responsible 2-way player. Guys will get moved at the deadline if there's a bigger fish to land at that point. In the meantime, build some depth.

So sign him already and let's drop the puck.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlprentiss. Show rlprentiss's posts

Re: Sign Clark

You Know it's hard to argue with that logic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The B's don't sign guys for the sake of it.  If they aren't going to need him, they aren't going to pay him $500,000 for nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No.  If no one else wants to sign him, let him practice with a college team waiting for a shot.  If you need depth mid season, sign him then.  In the meantime, Caron's earning the spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

How big can the roster be?  I thought I read somewhere recently it was 23 and PC said that was what he was going to carry now that they have some cap flexability.  So to me, Caron and Clark both make the team as 13th & 14th forwards.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Taking the, "Why not" approach doesn't provide much motivation for the player... make him earn it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Clark:
    How big can the roster be?  I thought I read somewhere recently it was 23 and PC said that was what he was going to carry now that they have some cap flexability.  So to me, Caron and Clark both make the team as 13th & 14th forwards.
    Posted by MeanE

Why would they want to pay a guy $500,000 to sit in the suite and watch?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

No.  If no one else wants to sign him, let him practice with a college team waiting for a shot.  If you need depth mid season, sign him then.  In the meantime, Caron's earning the spot.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Although I think you're right with Caron I would not be disappointed to see Arniel or Sauve fill this spot. I'm impressed with their energetic skating games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Much more interesting to watch the new talent develop.  Give them a chance

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

The only way Chris Clark makes this team is if Nathan Horton still has issues with his concussion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

What's 500 000 ?  I love the way we throw money away ,  easy to do when it's not ours.
    This morning while drive to the office I thought about starting a thread " Chris Clark what now ?
    The truth of the matter is that there's no space for him. If he wants to sign a two-way deal fine otherwise sorry Chris .  He would be a good depth guy in event of injury and suspension (Lucic be careful) but not sure he would want to go to Prov.   Also not sure he would pass waivers going up and down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm a Caron fan, I could care less if they sign Clark.  I guess it depends how Pouliot is competing.  If they don't feel that he is Bruin material, they may want Clark as a spare.  Or if they don't mind giving away a half-mil, sign him as backup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

We don't need him.  End of story.  He didn't light it up in camp and not only do we have depth on in Boston, but we have a handful of capable guys in Providence that could handle, and benefit from, a call up if injuries strike.  Campbell and Paille have both shown that they can also play on higher lines and then we can bring a guy up from Providence (Arniel likely) to fill in on the fourth line.

I'm sure he's a high character guy and can provide some 2-way play, but lets be honest, he's no Recchi.  I've seen some predictions on these threads predicting he could chip in with 15 or so goals over the course of the year.  I have a feeling somebody from Providence could do just as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Much more interesting to watch the new talent develop.  Give them a chance Posted by CarolinaClamMan

Bingo!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Clark : Why would they want to pay a guy $500,000 to sit in the suite and watch?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Why, because he is a veteran guy that doesn't need ice time to get reps and learn how to play in the NHL, but will keep Paille, Thornton, Caron, Pouliot, Kelly, and Campbell honest.  In addition, he will be available when guys get dinged up and the ability to sit guys that aren't 100% or are not playing well.  Let's not forget that the B's have a few guys up front that have had some concussion problems in Bergeron, Krejci, and Horton.  With the Bruins well below the cap, $500,000 to sit and learn the system and provide a safety net/competition is a bargain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Clark : Why, because he is a veteran guy that doesn't need ice time to get reps and learn how to play in the NHL, but will keep Paille, Thornton, Caron, Pouliot, Kelly, and Campbell honest.  In addition, he will be available when guys get dinged up and the ability to sit guys that aren't 100% or are not playing well.  Let's not forget that the B's have a few guys up front that have had some concussion problems in Bergeron, Krejci, and Horton.  With the Bruins well below the cap, $500,000 to sit and learn the system and provide a safety net/competition is a bargain.
    Posted by MeanE

I agree with this, Mean.

Depth is the key for a long playoff run. If he agrees to a 2-way contract, I say sign him. At the absolute least, he would be a good replacement for any 4th line injuries. Plus, he kills penalties and is very defensively responsible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Nah, I say let him walk.  I like him, but if we don't have faith in Caron, Sauve, Arniel etc. to cover the 12-15 depth foward spots, then what's the point in having them at all.  Clark, or someone like him, will likely be available anyhow if the team is decimated with injuries.  Otherwise I would prefer to watch young talent being developed in stride with a Stanley Cup champion team.  That's how you stay on top.

And if the Bruins have no qualms about throwing away $500,000 to have people sit in the luxury box, I would like to propose that myself and some of my thirsty friends here get season tickets there with an open bar tab.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The only way they sign him is if they can bury him in Providence like they did with McGrattan last year.  But then you're really saying something about the prospects because they already have veterans Tardiff, Hennessey, and Whitfield in Providence - and with all due respect to the P-Bruin season ticket holders, a veteran-filled competitive team in Providence is worthless.

If there's no value other than safety blanket value in signing Clark, then why sign him before you need a veteran fill in?  Caron or Pouliot as the 13th forward should keep the forwards honest, and if they aren't, Clark won't be.  Plus, Clark isn't going to get any better than he is right now - more likely, with his recent injury history, he'll get worse.  Clark might - might - make enough of a contribution to get the Bruins a point here or there, but in the grand scheme, that's a small reward compared to giving a prospect on the edge the chance to develop and play regularly.  Imagine if they'd kept Whitfield or McGrattan over Marchand last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I just don't think Thornton, Paille, Clark, Caron and Pouliot are bonafide every day starters. I'd rather have Clark signed so Julien can set up a rotation of veterans to keep players fresh and to play the matchup game. I like them all as role players, and I don't want to see Caron, Suave or Arniel sitting in the press box just as an extra guy they put on the plane. They need ice time wherever they can get it.

Giving the new guys a chance is fine, but we have to remember that Marchand and Seguin are still a bit of unknown quantities in terms of point production, and Horton/Krejci/Bergeron all have head issues. Lucic is good for a stretch of 15 gimpy games every season, too. The new guys will get their shot when a long-term injury happens. For an extra guy when all are healthy, I prefer a veteran and therefore Clark.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Thornton and Paille have done nothing to tell me that they are not everyday players, even in the playoffs. I think Caron is ready to be a rock solid wing.  Pouliot is going to be a hit or a strike. But the rationale for having Clark on the team is solid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I think Clark will sign a two way contract. He's originally from South Windsor CT (not too far away from Providence), so I don't think he would mind Providence that much. Better than retiring. He would be a good callup if Boston needed him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But I'm not sure why the Bruins would want to use up a spot in Providence either, a spot that could be used on a developing a newer prospect like Carter Camper or Craig Cunningham.  As Book pointed out, the P-Bruins already have veterans in Tradif, Hennessy and Whitfield.  After Caron, Sauve, Arniel, Hamill, McDermid, and others get set you have plenty of guys to fill the top 9 forward spots in Providence.  Clark would just displace one of these guys and push him back to the 4th line or ECHL.  Why waste a spot on Clark in Providence?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I just don't think Thornton, Paille, Clark, Caron and Pouliot are bonafide every day starters. I'd rather have Clark signed so Julien can set up a rotation of veterans to keep players fresh and to play the matchup game. I like them all as role players, and I don't want to see Caron, Suave or Arniel sitting in the press box just as an extra guy they put on the plane. They need ice time wherever they can get it. Giving the new guys a chance is fine, but we have to remember that Marchand and Seguin are still a bit of unknown quantities in terms of point production, and Horton/Krejci/Bergeron all have head issues. Lucic is good for a stretch of 15 gimpy games every season, too. The new guys will get their shot when a long-term injury happens. For an extra guy when all are healthy, I prefer a veteran and therefore Clark.
    Posted by asmaha

Thornton and Paille (or at least Thornton) were everyday starters on a Stanley Cup team last year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I haven't seen much preseason games. But why not keep Clark and Caron and let Poulit go ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

I think Clark will sign a two way contract. He's originally from South Windsor CT (not too far away from Providence), so I don't think he would mind Providence that much. Better than retiring. He would be a good callup if Boston needed him.
    Posted by Klaas

I think that's the way it will play out.

Sections
Shortcuts