Sign Jagr

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Sign Jagr

I would like the Bruins to sign Jaromir Jagr. In post-season interviews, Jagr said he wants to play one more NHL season, but didn't commit to the Flyers. Both he and the GM sounded like he may not be back with them (they have cap issues). He scored 54pts in 73 games, then added 8 in 11 playoff games. He only averaged 16mins of playing time in the regular season and 14 in the playoffs. Those minutes would make him a good fit as a second/third line type player in Boston. He could fill in for Horton if he's not healthy and Krejci would love to play with his childhood idol, I'm sure. I also think his style would be a great fit with the grinding cycle of Bergeron and Marchand, or riding wing on a third line with Seguin at center. His teammates raved about his good attitude this year. He's a big body. He's a left-shooting right wing who would be a great fit on the right side setting up Boston's powerplay (20pp pts this year), the kind of player we haven't had since Savard. Best of all, he only wants a one year deal so he won't complicate things when the glut of RFA's are due next year, and he only made $3.3mil this year so a similar contract would fit in the Bruins' cap. Also, I like watching him play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Sign Jagr

1st factor for me is how slow and tired Jagr looked as the Devils series wore down. I'm just not sure how much gas he has left for a deep playoff run and I did not say this at all about Recchi when Boston signed him his last year.

2nd if Horton is healthy, ready to go and Jagr is signed already (he is not going to last long in FA) Where does Seguin's talent get used ? With Bergeron ?

Where does Lucic slide to if Jagr is playing w/ Krejci ? The 3rd line ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

No, his toe picks will mess up the gahdin ice!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Jagr would help the power play, which is awful. That alone is reason to kick his tires.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Marchand-Seguin-Horton
    Lucic-Bergeron-Peverly
    Caron-Krejci-Jagr

Could be an interesting way to roll 3 equally strong lines and create some matchup nightmares for opposing teams. Who do you play your best against?

I'd like to see more LW depth, personally. But I'd be happy with Jagr essentially replacing Pouliot. I was pleasantly surprised by Jagr's commitment to the defensive game, and he didn't look any more gassed than expected of a guy in his situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

"He didn't look any more gassed than expected". Why would you want someone who cannot keep up with the speed and endurance now required. Yes, Jagr ha soring skills; yes, he could help the PP; but, only if the Bruins had regular PP, and they eliminated the ring around the rosie structure now employed. Now is not the time to "try it out". Now is the time to re-tool; replace necessary skills; and re-tain all the good parts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

The problem with the Bruins is that they will not build a skill team, they will build a team with some pretty good players, but don't want to try and build a team with more than one superstar(Seguin is the only potential superstar on this team). Krejci is okay, but he is not a point per game player. The last time the Bruins made any kind of really bold move to bring in a big name player was when they brought in Adam Oates. That was 20 years ago

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Jagr:
    [QUOTE]The problem with the Bruins is that they will not build a skill team, they will build a team with some pretty good players, but don't want to try and build a team with more than one superstar(Seguin is the only potential superstar on this team). Krejci is okay, but he is not a point per game player. The last time the Bruins made any kind of really bold move to bring in a big name player was when they brought in Adam Oates. That was 20 years ago
    Posted by Bruinsfanforever[/QUOTE]
    They signed Savard and Chara during the same weekend. Those are pretty good players?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

[QUOTE]The problem with the Bruins is that they will not build a skill team, they will build a team with some pretty good players, but don't want to try and build a team with more than one superstar(Seguin is the only potential superstar on this team). Krejci is okay, but he is not a point per game player. The last time the Bruins made any kind of really bold move to bring in a big name player was when they brought in Adam Oates. That was 20 years ago

Why do they need to? That team of "pretty good players" won the cup last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

i'd rather sign the recchin ball at the trade dead line for some 'net front presence' since looch becomes invisible once the playoffs start. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : They signed Savard and Chara during the same weekend. Those are pretty good players.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

How soon they forget.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : How soon they forget.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    How anyone can forget Chara I don't know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Can't bare to watch this guy Salute.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]The problem with the Bruins is that they will not build a skill team....Posted by Bruinsfanforever[/QUOTE]

I bet you're right. They all sit around and someone pipes up..."Hey, should we sign some players with skill?" Then someone else says...."Nah, skill is overrated. That's not how we do things around here. Let's sign players who can't shoot, skate, pass, check or play in position instead."

As fans, our understanding of the likelihood of signing Jagr is the same it is with ANY player. We don't know what they're thinking. There are hundreds of factors and pieces to put together. The OP was simply making a case for what would be an interesting fit, and it was well thought and a good concept. Does Jagr come with flaws? Sure. But we're talking parts to a larger puzzle and he's not a bad part at all.

And debbie downer misinterpreted my comment on Jagr getting gassed. I don't think it was any more than expected. In other words, he'd be just fine for a long playoff run in my opinion. Everyone on the Bs was running on empty versus VAN last year...Recchi was killed on these boards for looking slow, and there's your #2 RW on a Cup-winning team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd go for it. This year was an adjustment for him schedule wise, I bet the team that signs him this off-season gets a better version. I realize he's up there in age, but he still has tons of skill, from what I've heard and read he's a major rink rat and the younger players could take some notes. My gut tells me he's goingto Detroit or Pittsburgh, but then again I beleived that last year, but hey, why not, It would be fun to have Jaromir Jagr as a Bruin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : Why do they need to? That team of "pretty good players" won the cup last year.
    Posted by matttt87[/QUOTE]

A "pretty good team", that won 3 game 7s and had a goalie playing out of his mind. It's pretty tough to repeat that, as we've seen.  I've posted several times on other threads about how a team has to have everything go right, at just the right time, (not to mention a couple of things going wrong for your opponents) in order to win a Cup.  Either that, or you've got to have a simply dominating team (the Islanders & Oilers teams of the late 70s & 80s come to mind).

In the last 10 Cup Finals, 14 different teams have been involved.  Only the Devils, Wings, 'Canes, Ducks and Pens have been to the Finals multiple times during that period.  To my mind, that shows the difficulty of building a 'dynasty' in the cap era, and the total variability of 'getting to the Finals'.

My point being that winning a Cup one year likely means that you'll be in the mix for the following year, but beyond that all those factors like team health, early-round upsets, lucky bounces and hot goalies all come into play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Go bite someone.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : A "pretty good team", that won 3 game 7s and had a goalie playing out of his mind. It's pretty tough to repeat that, as we've seen.  I've posted several times on other threads about how a team has to have everything go right, at just the right time, (not to mention a couple of things going wrong for your opponents) in order to win a Cup.  Either that, or you've got to have a simply dominating team (the Islanders & Oilers teams of the late 70s & 80s come to mind). In the last 10 Cup Finals, 14 different teams have been involved.  Only the Devils, Wings, 'Canes, Ducks and Pens have been to the Finals multiple times during that period.  To my mind, that shows the difficulty of building a 'dynasty' in the cap era, and the total variability of 'getting to the Finals'. My point being that winning a Cup one year likely means that you'll be in the mix for the following year, but beyond that all those factors like team health, early-round upsets, lucky bounces and hot goalies all come into play.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Go bite someone. In Response to Re: Sign Jagr :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Oh, you're so clever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i think I'll fold the tent for a while. Seems like everyone wants to gouge the other poster, rather than discuss alternatives and perceptions. When I return , it will be 76 years since i attended my first pro hockey game. Even then I wasn't satisfied and asked my Aunt, who had brought me along, "what's next" ? With NBC airing the games in prime time, we all may get to see both East and West, which both have suprising finalists.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing "Yammy" in a B's iniform for a season. There's worst alternative's. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : They signed Savard and Chara during the same weekend. Those are pretty good players?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Chara and Savard were free agent signings,  but the Bruins will never try to build a team like the Penguins or the Wings where they have a lot of skill players at forward and defence.   The Bruins prefer good players but who will grind it out.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : Chara and Savard were free agent signings,  but the Bruins will never try to build a team like the Penguins or the Wings where they have a lot of skill players at forward and defence.   The Bruins prefer good players but who will grind it out.   

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all. The original comment was that the Bruins "did not bring in big players" in 20 years since Oates. The Bruins very recently went out and "brought in" extreme star players like Savard and Chara, the 2 most expensive available players on the market at the time.

Conversely, the Penguins that you use as an example, got very skilled by "adding" Crosby, Malkin and Fleury... by being the worst team in the NHL and falling into draft picks.  The Penguins, Lightning and Oil have "built" skill players into their teams by being terrible and drafting high.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : A "pretty good team", that won 3 game 7s and had a goalie playing out of his mind. Posted by 49-North [/QUOTE]

And thanks go out to null 2.0 for the obligatory slam against the Bruins, here on the Bruins' board.

I just don't understand why you aren't more welcome.

Sorry we dared to describe the Cup winning team as "pretty good."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

i think i may have started another thread earlier about this....Jagr is such a good fit for the Bruins. Especially given that he only wants a one year contract.

The bruins currently have 46.837 committed, not including either of the goalies, because i have no idea what's going to happen with those guys. They also have 2.655 in bonus cushion room available. For this year, they have cap space, might as well take advantage of it. Jagr can fit in well with any of the top 3 lines, and seguin could be kept on the wing if that is the route julien looks to take (it is also what i would do). Want to hear my dream team? of course you don't, but i'm going to jot it down anyway.

Lucic (4) Krejci (5.25) Jagr (3.5)
    Marchand (2.5) Bergeron (5) Seguin (3.55 with 2.65 in bonuses)
    Teddy Purcell (2.36) Peverley (3.25) Horton (4)
    Thornton (1.1) Campbell (1.25) Caron (.9)

Chara (6.9) Seids (3.25)
    Ference (2.25) Hamilton (2.55 with 1.65 in bonuses *estimate)
    Quaider (1.567) Boychuk (3.36)

Rask (3.5 *estimate)
    Khudobin (.9)

that brings us in at just under 61 mill, plenty of room (traded thomas for purcell and a mid level pick, signed Jags for 5.5, re-signed Rask for 3.5, re-signed capmbell for 1.25, signed Hamilton for 2.55)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Jagr : Chara and Savard were free agent signings,  but the Bruins will never try to build a team like the Penguins or the Wings where they have a lot of skill players at forward and defence.   The Bruins prefer good players but who will grind it out.   

Crosby,Malkin and Fleury were all draft picks after they stunk. They also had a 6 percent chance of getting Sid and got lucky. Bruins stunk and did the same thing with Thornton and Samsonov. Penguins dont have much skill at defense after Letang, and he was god awful in the Philly series.

Sections
Shortcuts