Sign Recchi again for another tour.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Sign Recchi again for another tour.

I think Recchi was an essential part of the team.

They should resign him.

Not as a player, but a coach.

From the interviews I've seen, what other players say about him, my guestimate is that he would make an excellent coach.

I think the "Doctor Recchi" thing on the Max Pax thing was quite clever, either way.  And by either way I mean;
    If he intended the plot to distract from Chara, that was good.
    If he was speaking out of turn and the distract from Chara speach was an afterthought, just as good.

I like his pressers, he doesn't ever seem confused, unconfident and he doesn't say stupid things.

Of course I have no idea of how he'd do as a coach, but it just seems like a good fit.  In contrast, people have suggested that Neely would be a good coach, but I don't think so because I can't think of any "take no prisoners" type of players succeeding as a coach. There probably are such examples, but none spring to my mind.

From what players say, they pointed toward Recchi as saying the right thing, being a mentor and etc. and I haven't heard that about any other player.  And not just this team, but I can't think of any team where there was such a distinct leader.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour.

He retired, I don't think he wants to put in the time, even from the coaching side, he wants to spend it with his kids, maybe in a couple years he will miss the game..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'd like to see that too.  He appears to have the tools.  I'd bet he's looking forward to some time off now, spending some lost time with his family, but eventually he may get restless and want back in the game.  He seemed to like Boston, so maybe he'd do it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

These thoughts are good ones, as REX is knowledgeable and capable. However, he lives in Pittsburgh, and they might have first shot at him. IMO he would make an ideal partner to Sweeney in player development particularly the forwards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Recchi would be a great assistant coach but I've read he does want to join the Penguin's front office.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 24Reilly. Show 24Reilly's posts

In Response to Sign Recchi again for another tour.:

In contrast, people have suggested that Neely would be a good coach, but I don't think so because I can't think of any "take no prisoners" type of players succeeding as a coach.

You must not have been around when Terry O'reilly coached the team. He was the best " take no prisoners " player of his time and he coached the Bruins to the finals. He had to quit because he wanted to spend more time with his ailing son. He would have had many more successfull seasons otherwise and I'm sure of that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Sign Recchi again for another tour.:
    [QUOTE]I think Recchi was an essential part of the team. They should resign him. Not as a player, but a coach. From the interviews I've seen, what other players say about him, my guestimate is that he would make an excellent coach. I think the "Doctor Recchi" thing on the Max Pax thing was quite clever, either way.  And by either way I mean; If he intended the plot to distract from Chara, that was good. If he was speaking out of turn and the distract from Chara speach was an afterthought, just as good. I like his pressers, he doesn't ever seem confused, unconfident and he doesn't say stupid things. Of course I have no idea of how he'd do as a coach, but it just seems like a good fit.  In contrast, people have suggested that Neely would be a good coach, but I don't think so because I can't think of any "take no prisoners" type of players succeeding as a coach. There probably are such examples, but none spring to my mind. From what players say, they pointed toward Recchi as saying the right thing, being a mentor and etc. and I haven't heard that about any other player.  And not just this team, but I can't think of any team where there was such a distinct leader.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Good Post !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour.:
    [QUOTE]I think Recchi would be a great assistant coach but I've read he does want to join the Penguin's front office.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

This is what I read as well.  Furthermore, in the article they seemed to say he does not see a future in coaching because he would like to pursue a future in upper management.  If he doesn't have an existing offer from the penguins right now, I would try to add him to our front office which already has several former players contributing far beyond my original expectations, Neely and Sweeney being the two most obvious, but I think there are more. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sign Recchi again for another tour. :   In contrast, people have suggested that Neely would be a good coach, but I don't think so because I can't think of any "take no prisoners" type of players succeeding as a coach. You must not have been around when Terry O'reilly coached the team. He was the best " take no prisoners " player of his time and he coached the Bruins to the finals. He had to quit because he wanted to spend more time with his ailing son. He would have had many more successfull seasons otherwise and I'm sure of that.
    Posted by 24Reilly[/QUOTE]

yes, I was around for that and much earlier. 

The memory is the SECOND thing to go, I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what the first thing is.

I should have been more specific about the 'take no prisoners' type players, I was thinking of guys like Messier who it seemed to me were as likely to beat up a team mate in between periods as they would an oppsoing player.  O'Reilly doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

'Take no prisoners' was a very bad choice of words, but what I'm thinking of is hard to describe.  for example, there are guys who would play hurt, but then are those who expect that others would play hurt, too and not tolerate it if they didn't/  Then there are guys who play hurt and wouldn't force that on others.  It's that second type that seems to me that would be better coaches. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Recchi owns the Kamloops Blazers, so I don't think he'll get too far from hockey, and I could see him wanting to be closer to the team now that he doesn't have in-season commitments.

They don't need him as a blanky.  I get the impression that he was a driving force in the way they constructed their personality for the playoffs, from his "some fans are idiots" responses to questions about people thinking he should be pulled from the lineup and rested to his sticking his finger in Lapierre's grill.  I think he set the tone.  But you know what?  If there aren't guys on the team who can pick up that mantle after playing with him for 2+ years, they'll have to learn without him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is hysterical.  No one has any idea about his ability to be a coach, yet people want him on board asap.

What's next?  Bob Beers for strength and conditioning?

PJ Axelsson for third and fourth line mentoring?

An old guy played well and retired.  That doesn't make him a coaching candidate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I agree with you on this.  A good example is Brett Hull, who said he would make a terrible coach.  He said he would end up benching everyone and the players would all hate him.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : yes, I was around for that and much earlier.  The memory is the SECOND thing to go, I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what the first thing is. I should have been more specific about the 'take no prisoners' type players, I was thinking of guys like Messier who it seemed to me were as likely to beat up a team mate in between periods as they would an oppsoing player.  O'Reilly doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. 'Take no prisoners' was a very bad choice of words, but what I'm thinking of is hard to describe.  for example, there are guys who would play hurt, but then are those who expect that others would play hurt, too and not tolerate it if they didn't/  Then there are guys who play hurt and wouldn't force that on others.  It's that second type that seems to me that would be better coaches. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]I think Recchi would be a great assistant coach but I've read he does want to join the Penguin's front office.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Guess we know which jersey Recchi will be going into the HOF with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : Guess we know which jersey Recchi will be going into the HOF with.
    Posted by Klaas[/QUOTE]

This doesn't happen in the HHOF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : This doesn't happen in the HHOF.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    If you say so I believe you. But I could have sworn I saw a debate on this board a few months ago regarding which jersey Recchi should wear at the HHOF.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]This is hysterical.  No one has any idea about his ability to be a coach, yet people want him on board asap. What's next?  Bob Beers for strength and conditioning? PJ Axelsson for third and fourth line mentoring? An old guy played well and retired.  That doesn't make him a coaching candidate.
    Stop being an ASShle NAS! The guy gave his opinion & I bet if you did a survey there's a lot more that would go with that poster; me included! The guy has a demeaner that comes across as making a good coach! Sometimes I find your sarcasm funny; but in this one you were rude & obnoxious! Stop trying so hard to be hated! You're better than this!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : Stop being an ASShle NAS! The guy gave his opinion & I bet if you did a survey there's a lot more that would go with that poster; me included! The guy has a demeaner that comes across as making a good coach! Sometimes I find your sarcasm funny; but in this one you were rude & obnoxious! Stop trying so hard to be hated! You're better than this!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I'm so sick of the lovefest for these guys that goes beyond the realm of normal fandom.  An old guy played for Boston for a couple of years and retired.  He'd make a good assistant coach.  Why?  Well, you know, he's retired, and he's old and he played for a long time.  He has a good speaking voice, right?  Coach material!

This is as bad as The Lore of Brad Marchand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : If you say so I believe you. But I could have sworn I saw a debate on this board a few months ago regarding which jersey Recchi should wear at the HHOF.
    Posted by Klaas[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you did.  And that was wrong also.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : I'm so sick of the lovefest for these guys that goes beyond the realm of normal fandom.  An old guy played for Boston for a couple of years and retired.  He'd make a good assistant coach.  Why?  Well, you know, he's retired, and he's old and he played for a long time.  He has a good speaking voice, right?  Coach material! This is as bad as The Lore of Brad Marchand.
    What makes a good coach then NAS? Enlighten us. Nobody knows for sure if Rex would be a good coach; but he comes across as being a decent candidate. He's respected; I'm sure he gets listened to when he speaks. With all the great coaches that Recchi has had over his career. I'm sure he has the intelligence to bring in a decent system. I will say this though. I think if there's a team that he should start with it would be the Bruins. He'd have more to offer to them because  it'd be like he never left.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : I'm so sick of the lovefest for these guys that goes beyond the realm of normal fandom.  An old guy played for Boston for a couple of years and retired.  He'd make a good assistant coach.  Why?  Well, you know, he's retired, and he's old and he played for a long time.  He has a good speaking voice, right?  Coach material! This is as bad as The Lore of Brad Marchand.

"Fandom" comes in all shapes and sizes, so there is no normal.   I find your incarnation of it rather strange.  
     This is a fan board where people propose and discuss ideas.  It isn't too far out, the idea that Recchi could be a coach.  His leadership on the team is without question, he's experienced on many aspects as a player, and he's won three times.  Stands to reason he could translate some of that to coaching.  Of course we don't know that for sure, but the thought doesn't deserve to be ridiculed.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : What makes a good coach then NAS? Enlighten us. Nobody knows for sure if Rex would be a good coach; but he comes across as being a decent candidate. He's respected; I'm sure he gets listened to when he speaks. With all the great coaches that Recchi has had over his career. I'm sure he has the intelligence to bring in a decent system. I will say this though. I think if there's a team that he should start with it would be the Bruins. He'd have more to offer to them because  it'd be like he never left.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

He'd have less to offer to them because it would be like he never left.  He'd have a difficult time punishing his buddies in practice and wouldn't be taken as seriously by others.

What makes a good NHL coach?  A good AHL coach.  Guys don't retire and immediately get NHL bench jobs.  They might retire and get NHL radio or TV jobs, but not assistant coaching jobs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think my original post should be reread.

[QUOTE]I think Recchi was an essential part of the team. They should resign him. Not as a player, but a coach. From the interviews I've seen, what other players say about him, my guestimate is that he would make an excellent coach. I think the "Doctor Recchi" thing on the Max Pax thing was quite clever, either way.  And by either way I mean; If he intended the plot to distract from Chara, that was good. If he was speaking out of turn and the distract from Chara speach was an afterthought, just as good. I like his pressers, he doesn't ever seem confused, unconfident and he doesn't say stupid things. Of course I have no idea of how he'd do as a coach, but it just seems like a good fit.  In contrast, people have suggested that Neely would be a good coach, but I don't think so because I can't think of any "take no prisoners" type of players succeeding as a coach. There probably are such examples, but none spring to my mind. From what players say, they pointed toward Recchi as saying the right thing, being a mentor and etc. and I haven't heard that about any other player.  And not just this team, but I can't think of any team where there was such a distinct leader.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Recchi again for another tour. : He'd have less to offer to them because it would be like he never left.  He'd have a difficult time punishing his buddies in practice and wouldn't be taken as seriously by others. What makes a good NHL coach?  A good AHL coach.  Guys don't retire and immediately get NHL bench jobs.  They might retire and get NHL radio or TV jobs, but not assistant coaching jobs.

Oh yes they do.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/26/doug-weight-officially-retires-becomes-islanders-assistant-coach-and-assistant-gm/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Rex would be great on the third line, but it's seguin's turn to play with the big-boys.

Sections
Shortcuts