1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochesternybruinfan. Show rochesternybruinfan's posts

Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread

They're not going to bow out early. As has been said before somewhere in this forum,  the Bruins are built for playoff series.  They're much, much tougher to beat in a series than in a game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread:
    [QUOTE]They're not going to bow out early. As has been said before somewhere in this forum,  the Bruins are built for playoff series.  They're much, much tougher to beat in a series than in a game.
    Posted by rochesternybruinfan[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, they are built for the playoffs. But they have looked exhausted for 4 out of 6 months now. This is the first year in the last 3 that I'm not picking them to win it, the last 2 i thought they had the drive and skill to pull it off. This year its the same skill, I dont see the drive what so ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

What? Red Sox? They don't play hockey. And your reference to them kind of explains things. You can't compare the NHL and MLB at all. You might want consistency in your professional sports, but you aren't going to get it in hockey.  Hockey is physical, like football, but unlike football games are played every second night. The result is physical and mental fatigue, and slumps. There is not one team in the league that hasn't had a slump.

More specific to this situation, is that for the Bruins to miss the playoffs 3 teams would have had to catch them.  This would take a dreadful finish for the Bruins and an outstanding one by all 3 teams. It would have been possible (and still is), though unlikely for one team, like the Senators, to catch the Bruins. But it was next to impossible for all 3. This is due to 3 point games and teams playing each other, and just the nature of hockey. This is a reality of the NHL. And even if the Bruins kept up their poor pace from February, they still would have netted at least 6 more wins, giving them 46 and too many points for the teams to catch them even if they played perfect hockey.

You talk about the Bruins having a couple great months and being lousy the rest of the time. That's not true. The 3-7 October was pretty lousy. After that they went nearly undefeated for November and December, but also 8-4-1 in January. You do realize that 8-4 is a .666 win percentage, right? That's usually what 1st place teams put up. Going 5-7-1 in Feb is weak, but not ridiculously bad. Now they are back playing .500 in March despite a brutal schedule and injuries. If you compare their record and ups and downs to other good teams, it's pretty similar.

Where things become very different is when you look deeper into results. Every team in the NHL has ups and downs due to the physical demands of the sport which means that all of the good teams are within a few wins of each other at this point in the season (eg 1st place Rangers have 3 more wins than Boston). However, when you look at offence and defence you can separate things more. The Bruins are elite in both categories, and when you combine the two they are first, with Pittsburgh just behind. This is similar to last year when the Bruins were neck and neck with Vancouver. With Crosby in the lineup the Penguins pose a real threat to Boston's chances to repeat, and St Louis and Detroit are outstanding teams. But your feelings that Boston was on the brink of falling from the playoffs or that it is a poor team that had a couple good months are not grounded in reality or in understanding of the workings of the NHL or the game of hockey.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : At the time they were no longer first in the NE and what? 5 pts out of the playoffs? on average it takes 95 pts to make the playoffs. They had 83. My guess is that you also thought the red sox would make the playoffs last year as well? I'm a firm believer in consistancy in professional sports play. Like the red sox last year, the bruins this year have not been consistant enough for me. two months of a red hot hockey team doesnt make up for 4 months of below average and this little 4/5 winning streak they have going hasnt got me convinced. 2 of the 4 wins they were terrible in and got lucky that LA couldnt put a puck in the back of the net if thier lives counted on it and Anahiem has packed it in. The first 2 wins vs philly and toronto the bruins were the better team. Not on the west coast though, all 3 games were very bad IMO. I have said this before, in the last 30 years of NHL hockey name me the team where they won as a suprise that wasnt named montreal canadiens of 85 and 93. The rest of the teams who won since say the mid 70's were not suprises. I would consider this bruins team a suprise, with thier inconsistant play, if they won it.  Someone said Carolina in 2006, but they had 112pts that season. So was no real suprise. Dont get me wrong, I want to be suprised and I'll be as mad as anyone if they bow out early, as i think they will.
    Posted by puckhog9966[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Not enough folks seemed to sign up for this one so I thought I'd keep it active.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

because I'm confident they'll do well enough or at the least get past the 1st round. That's an accomplishment being the Stanley cup winner that stopped playing hockey in July, vacation lasted half a month and then it was back to training. 
    Only one team wins the cup and as far as the Bruins go I'll be happy.  There are some good teams out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]What? Red Sox? They don't play hockey. And your reference to them kind of explains things. You can't compare the NHL and MLB at all. You might want consistency in your professional sports, but you aren't going to get it in hockey.  Hockey is physical, like football, but unlike football games are played every second night. The result is physical and mental fatigue, and slumps. There is not one team in the league that hasn't had a slump. More specific to this situation, is that for the Bruins to miss the playoffs 3 teams would have had to catch them.  This would take a dreadful finish for the Bruins and an outstanding one by all 3 teams. It would have been possible (and still is), though unlikely for one team, like the Senators, to catch the Bruins. But it was next to impossible for all 3. This is due to 3 point games and teams playing each other, and just the nature of hockey. This is a reality of the NHL. And even if the Bruins kept up their poor pace from February, they still would have netted at least 6 more wins, giving them 46 and too many points for the teams to catch them even if they played perfect hockey. You talk about the Bruins having a couple great months and being lousy the rest of the time. That's not true. The 3-7 October was pretty lousy. After that they went nearly undefeated for November and December, but also 8-4-1 in January. You do realize that 8-4 is a .666 win percentage, right? That's usually what 1st place teams put up. Going 5-7-1 in Feb is weak, but not ridiculously bad. Now they are back playing .500 in March despite a brutal schedule and injuries. If you compare their record and ups and downs to other good teams, it's pretty similar. Where things become very different is when you look deeper into results. Every team in the NHL has ups and downs due to the physical demands of the sport which means that all of the good teams are within a few wins of each other at this point in the season (eg 1st place Rangers have 3 more wins than Boston). However, when you look at offence and defence you can separate things more. The Bruins are elite in both categories, and when you combine the two they are first, with Pittsburgh just behind. This is similar to last year when the Bruins were neck and neck with Vancouver. With Crosby in the lineup the Penguins pose a real threat to Boston's chances to repeat, and St Louis and Detroit are outstanding teams. But your feelings that Boston was on the brink of falling from the playoffs or that it is a poor team that had a couple good months are not grounded in reality or in understanding of the workings of the NHL or the game of hockey. In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

You remove November and December from the schedule and they are 24 wins and 27 losses. How many sub .500 teams would make the playoffs atm? I'll help you with this one 0! So yes short of a ridiculous pace they were on in Nov. and Dec. they have played at the level of the trash of the league. There is now a larger sample of that play then there is of a team who would do damage in the playoffs.

The bruins more then likely will not break 100pts this year. In the last 12 years only 1 team has finnished with less then 103 pts. and won the cup. That was the Pens in '09, they got 99 and did it with Crosby out from Feb. on that year with a high ankle sprain. They were one of the best team's record wise in the league till that injury though and returned to being the best when he came back for the playoffs. I dont see where the bruins have that calibur of a player returning for the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

wow. The Bruins are statistically better than last year and only 3 points off their pace with a nearly identical roster. They won last year, FYI.

Before you use a ridiculous stat to make a point, do some further research.  Take every team, remove the best 60 day period from their season and see where they would finish. I'll give you a hint as to the results: it's not good. If you are going to arbitrarily remove months from the season, why not take away October and February, giving the Bruins a 90% win%? The result is just as relevant as what you proposed. You really don't seem to understand hockey.

It's actually kind of funny that you bring up the Pens in '09. They were missing Crosby from Feb on. Crosby is a proven 120pt player. This season, again from Feb on, the Bruins were missing Peverley and Horton, both on pace for 60pts before injury. So no, they aren't missing one player worth 120pts but two worth 120 combined. That has undoubtedly affected their performance over the last stretch, but makes them no less dangerous when healthy.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : You remove November and December from the schedule and they are 24 wins and 27 losses. How many sub .500 teams would make the playoffs atm? I'll help you with this one 0! So yes short of a ridiculous pace they were on in Nov. and Dec. they have played at the level of the trash of the league. There is now a larger sample of that play then there is of a team who would do damage in the playoffs. The bruins more then likely will not break 100pts this year. In the last 12 years only 1 team has finnished with less then 103 pts. and won the cup. That was the Pens in '09, they got 99 and did it with Crosby out from Feb. on that year with a high ankle sprain. They were one of the best team's record wise in the league till that injury though and returned to being the best when he came back for the playoffs. I dont see where the bruins have that calibur of a player returning for the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

OC good posts...but you won't be able to change the spots on that leopard.  He is the ultimate gloom and doomer, as is his buddy pumpsie. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : You remove November and December from the schedule and they are 24 wins and 27 losses. How many sub .500 teams would make the playoffs atm? I'll help you with this one 0! So yes short of a ridiculous pace they were on in Nov. and Dec. they have played at the level of the trash of the league. There is now a larger sample of that play then there is of a team who would do damage in the playoffs. The bruins more then likely will not break 100pts this year. In the last 12 years only 1 team has finnished with less then 103 pts. and won the cup. That was the Pens in '09, they got 99 and did it with Crosby out from Feb. on that year with a high ankle sprain. They were one of the best team's record wise in the league till that injury though and returned to being the best when he came back for the playoffs. I dont see where the bruins have that calibur of a player returning for the playoffs.

What  makes you say  that?There's 14 points  left up for grabs, and the B's need 9 of them to hit 100. Definitely doable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

puckhog has no grasp on hockey.

Let's arbitrarily take 2 months out of your life. Let's say for the sake of this example you're married. Let's remove the month you met her and the month following where you got to know her.

Talk about changing your life. You're no longer married despite having been married for X years. Oh wait, that makes no difference, because guess what, we can't take away those 2 months as they are forever going to remain in history how they happened.

While we're at it let's arbitrarily take out 1/3 of their playoff run. If the didn't win those 3 game 7's and 3 game 6's they don't win the cup. OH but they DID win those and they DID win the cup.

Just stop trying to say that the bruins beat nearly 15 different teams in a row by accident. What did all of those teams just decide to NOT show up that night? Just plain ridiculous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I thought the same thing. Based on their season they would actually project to get 8.4 points...do you round up or down? :)  My gut feeling is that they are on an upswing right now and will do better than average over this stretch and get the century.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : What  makes you say  that?There's 14 points  left up for grabs, and the B's need 9 of them to hit 100. Definitely doable.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The team who plays their best hockey in April , May and the first week in June wins the cup not the team who plays great from October to March.

Cherry-picking a teams poor record during certain periods in the regular season means nothing when the playoffs start.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]OC good posts...but you won't be able to change the spots on that leopard.  He is the ultimate gloom and doomer, as is his buddy pumpsie. 
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Haha true enough man. I wont change my spots. But I dont see where I'm a Doom and Gloomer. I think they will come back next year healthy and rested and dominate the whole year without being a sub .500 team for most of the season. You want the truth I think they are the best team in the league. The best team in the league who has nothing left in the gas tank and hasnt since the middle of December.

They look tired and disinterested to many nights for me to think they have a chance vs. a motivated and interested team like say Pitt. or N.Y. Rangers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : The team who plays their best hockey in April , May and the first week in June wins the cup not the team who plays great from October to March. Cherry-picking a teams poor record during certain periods in the regular season means nothing when the playoffs start.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Chowda I love your insight to the OHL that you bring and read every post you make about them kids. But I have to disagree with you about this, the fact is as ive allready posted a few times. In the last 30-35 years there has been very few cup winners who did not have consistant and dominate regular seasons and really only the montreal wins in 85 and 93 were kinda suprising. You can normaly narrow it down to 2 teams per a conference and 99% of the time one of them 2 go on to win it. I see both Pitt and the Rangers being better this year. One of them 2 will win it IMO. I'm not even worried so much about the west as I think the west is on the decline these days, hence why a team that didnt even qualify for the playoffs the last 3 years is now going to be the number 1 seed. Detriot would scare me in the first two rounds perhaps. The age of them and the grind of a playoff game every other night would take its toll and I wouldnt be overly worried by the time of the finals if they made it though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]wow. The Bruins are statistically better than last year and only 3 points off their pace with a nearly identical roster. They won last year, FYI. Before you use a ridiculous stat to make a point, do some further research.  Take every team, remove the best 60 day period from their season and see where they would finish. I'll give you a hint as to the results: it's not good. If you are going to arbitrarily remove months from the season, why not take away October and February, giving the Bruins a 90% win%? The result is just as relevant as what you proposed. You really don't seem to understand hockey. It's actually kind of funny that you bring up the Pens in '09. They were missing Crosby from Feb on. Crosby is a proven 120pt player. This season, again from Feb on, the Bruins were missing Peverley and Horton, both on pace for 60pts before injury. So no, they aren't missing one player worth 120pts but two worth 120 combined. That has undoubtedly affected their performance over the last stretch, but makes them no less dangerous when healthy. In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Have you seen anything about Horton coming back anywhere for the playoffs? I havent. last I heard, last week that there was no time table and that he was only doing minor off ice workout's on his own. I'm not holding my breath for a return. 

I think you have me all wrong here. Nowhere on here have you seen me say that the bruins need to blow up this team or that they are the worst team in this league, I actually believe the opposite of that. But i do believe that they are exhausted from a short summer and dont have the same drive that it takes to win in the playoffs this year. They are not nasty to play against this year, the last game vs. the Ducks infact im pretty sure was a no contact rules pond hockey game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : What  makes you say  that?There's 14 points  left up for grabs, and the B's need 9 of them to hit 100. Definitely doable.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Take in mind please that for the better part of this season they are a sub .500 team. Lets give them a .500 record (better then they have been since January) so im being generous I think. Thats 7 pts over the rest of the season. Giving them 98.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]puckhog has no grasp on hockey. Let's arbitrarily take 2 months out of your life. Let's say for the sake of this example you're married. Let's remove the month you met her and the month following where you got to know her. Talk about changing your life. You're no longer married despite having been married for X years. Oh wait, that makes no difference, because guess what, we can't take away those 2 months as they are forever going to remain in history how they happened. While we're at it let's arbitrarily take out 1/3 of their playoff run. If the didn't win those 3 game 7's and 3 game 6's they don't win the cup. OH but they DID win those and they DID win the cup. Just stop trying to say that the bruins beat nearly 15 different teams in a row by accident. What did all of those teams just decide to NOT show up that night? Just plain ridiculous.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

The bruins were the best team in the league for 2 months. Since then and before then they have one of the worst records in the league and would be getting a lottery pick this year. Great 2 months and subpar 4 months and I have no grasp? Seems to me my "no grasp" doubles your "so called grasp." Sorry that I'm not throwing blind faith into the factor, I have tons of it and not even that can over come the product I've seen for the majority this year to convice me the Bruins will make a run this spring.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : Chowda I love your insight to the OHL that you bring and read every post you make about them kids. But I have to disagree with you about this, the fact is as ive allready posted a few times. In the last 30-35 years there has been very few cup winners who did not have consistant and dominate regular seasons and really only the montreal wins in 85 and 93 were kinda suprising. You can normaly narrow it down to 2 teams per a conference and 99% of the time one of them 2 go on to win it. I see both Pitt and the Rangers being better this year. One of them 2 will win it IMO. I'm not even worried so much about the west as I think the west is on the decline these days, hence why a team that didnt even qualify for the playoffs the last 3 years is now going to be the number 1 seed. Detriot would scare me in the first two rounds perhaps. The age of them and the grind of a playoff game every other night would take its toll and I wouldnt be overly worried by the time of the finals if they made it though.

I guess that's why we will not agree then. I like to think anything could happen and not base what happened in the last 35 years to what might play out in the future.

Try it you might like it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : I guess that's why we will not agree then. I like to think anything could happen and not base what happened in the last 35 years to what might play out in the future. Try it you might like it.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    The Bruins had never won a series after being down 0-2 before last year. Now they've done it twice. I'm with you on this. I think history has little bearing on the upcoming playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Another long-winded-passive-aggressive "I hope the Bruins surprise me but just in case I think they are one and done. Of course I will admit I'm wrong if the Bruins do well". You can't take the two months of Nov. and Dec. out because it was a great achievement by a battle weary team.

Flickering porch light "on and off, on and off"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Sorry dude, this simply isn't true. Their record is .500 for March, and was .666 for January. They have a losing record in Oct and Feb. They have an even or better record in 4 of 6 months. You say you are being realistic, but you are being pessimistic.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : Take in mind please that for the better part of this season they are a sub .500 team. Lets give them a .500 record (better then they have been since January) so im being generous I think. Thats 7 pts over the rest of the season. Giving them 98.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

The Pens were doing bad enough in their cup year that they fired their coach.

I would argue that the Bruins last year were a surprise. Certainly surprised me more than if they were to win it this year.

That said, it's the playoffs. You just don't know what's going to happen - either way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

Whats your take then Sandog? Its easy to sit on the porch and bark, but never bite. My bet is you dont got the guts to make a call one way or another, because its easier to sit back and comment on someone else's comment's and make yourself sound like you have a clue. When you dont.

So put your money where your mouth is and tell us all if they win it this spring or not.

If your not willing to then please stop posting response's to my post's as you bring nothing to the table for my debate's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You have some really good points Puck but you can't over come allot of others. I didn't get into a debate because I didn't get a chance everyone beat me to it and no matter how many indisputable "Their record is .500 for March, and was .666 for January. They have a losing record in Oct and Feb. They have an even or better record in 4 of 6 months" facts get put in thrown in front of you, it's not enough.

Good luck to you and your stubbornness. Chiarelli has done a great job and the Bruins overcame some serious personnel losses due to injury.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Up Here For The "I Knew They Really Stunk" Thread : Take in mind please that for the better part of this season they are a sub .500 team. Lets give them a .500 record (better then they have been since January) so im being generous I think. Thats 7 pts over the rest of the season. Giving them 98.

Well they got those 7 points in just 4 games. One win and they hit the 100 point mark you said they wouldn't hit. Win out nd they top last season's point total.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

They don't stink, of course...and of course they have a shot.

But I'll go on record saying they will not be repeating this year.

Much of that is just about how difficult it is to do that--how many good bounces have to go your way--on top of just playing A-1 hockey all the way thru.

My biggest concern is them getting out of the East, and I really don't like their chances against the Rangers if they reach the Conference Finals against them (I'm assuming the NYR will gave no problem w/whoever they draw in the early rounds).

Henrik looks like this year's Thomas to me...the Rangers have extraordinary depth and toughness AND scoring; very balanced...and I have concerns about the Bruins D being not quite as sharp as they were last year--especially if McQuaid can't be back at 100% (Zanon's not bad, but we really don't want Corvo and/or Mattau running around back there.) And Horton? Even if he returns, can we expect him to be as clutch as he was last year given his lack of playing time?

Still love the B's, and especially how they've bounced back from that ugly 2-month stretch when it looked like they couldn't beat a pee wee squad much less the NHL's best.

Hope I'm wrong...certainly will be cheering them on as if they ARE repeat-bound!

Sections
Shortcuts