silver lining?.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Re: silver lining?.......

In Response to Re: silver lining?.......:
    [QUOTE]   My understanding of LTIR is if Savard is ready to return in March you can't just keep him off the books because you don't have any cap space. If the doctors deem Savard healthy and ready to play his Cap hit takes effect immediately. Any attempt to deceive the NHL that he is still hurt when he is actually healthy can be construed as circumnavigating the CAP.    I believe this problem occurred last season or the season before with Philly and Glen Metropolit when Simon Gagne came back from one of his injuries. Philly had to waive Metropolit to make room for Gagne's contract and the Habs claimed him off waivers.
    Posted by captainbergeron[/QUOTE]

I recall PC saying earlier that the Bruins, not Doctors or Player have final say as to when they want to reactivate a player, in response to Savard & Sturm coming back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Was that a roster spot problem or a cap problem?

Once day 186 passes, player salaries have been all used up and every player has a cap hit of $0.

There is some debate about what would happen if the team kept a player off the active roster even while 'healthy'.  The CBA only says that the player can't join the team until cap space is made.  It does not stipulate any other penalty.  But then the CBA often leaves a lot solely to the discretion of the commissioner.

Given Savard's condition, I would think the Bruins could get a lot of leeway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

[QUOTE]Was that a roster spot problem or a cap problem? Once day 186 passes, player salaries have been all used up and every player has a cap hit of $0. There is some debate about what would happen if the team kept a player off the active roster even while 'healthy'.  The CBA only says that the player can't join the team until cap space is made.  It does not stipulate any other penalty.  But then the CBA often leaves a lot solely to the discretion of the commissioner. Given Savard's condition, I would think the Bruins could get a lot of leeway.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

I agree with your last statement, but I've got to believe there would be some negative ramifications, whether it was from the NHL or Savard, if he was considered healthy and the Bruin's organization refused to play him, because they already filled his spot on the roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Yes, Virginia, there is a silver lining to this latest setback!

It's spelled T-Y-L-E-R  S-E-G-U-I-N.

Mister CJ better take this opportunity to let this kid round into form, at his proper position, if he doesn't he'll be out of a job at the end of the year.

The sooner he gets the kid going, the longer he'll stay as coach. CJ better realize that this kid is his meal ticket to a very long run as the Coach of the Bruins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Let's hope Savard gets better, but this could get dicey because the trade deadline is merely a month away and I do NOT see this team (as poresently constructed) going deep into the playoffs without a bonafied #1 center.

That being said, if the Bs shelf him for the remainder of the season, Brad Richards would be a perfect replacement (after clearing more cap space of course).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

does anyone know who a "list of candidates" may be as far as a rental for the playoffs?? The criteria, I think would be...a) a UFA at year's end...b) from a team unlikely to make the playoffs......c) probably not a team from our division (even if they are out...you normally don't "help" your bitter rivals)... d) a forward -  not neccessarily a center...Seguin may stay at 3rd center...but def. a forward and e) a player that can be obtained with a draft choice (not the toronto one)....so we don't lose a roster player
    Anyone know which players might fill these shoes (skates) lol
    PS. If it's truly a "rental"..someone who's contract expires this season....I'm assuming there is NO cap consequence next year if we don't sign him. Am I correct re. that? DrCC seems to think that there is some poss. consequence...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I thought it was a CAP problem considering Gagne is a winger and Metropolit is a center, but I could be wrong.

It was a shame to see Metropolit get bounced around like he did, because he played well everywhere he went. Boston one year, Philly the next, and even in Montreal he played beyond expected and still no one offers him a contract upon free agency and he has to sign over seas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Virginia, there is a silver lining to this latest setback! It's spelled T-Y-L-E-R  S-E-G-U-I-N. Mister CJ better take this opportunity to let this kid round into form, at his proper position, if he doesn't he'll be out of a job at the end of the year. The sooner he gets the kid going, the longer he'll stay as coach. CJ better realize that this kid is his meal ticket to a very long run as the Coach of the Bruins.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

This by far was the best thing that could of happened for Seguin. It S__ks for the team, but now Seguin has a chance to prove to CJ that he has what it takes to play as a center during crunch time of a season. We'll see now what this kid is made of. If he has what it takes to lift his game to another level when it is needed.

**I'm not saying he is worthless and needs to go if he fails to lift his game. Just stating it's a chance to prove to everyone he was the right pick at the draft.**

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

If Boston want to pick up any rental, it is going to be really pricey.  Not many sellers and lots of buyers this year, they are going to have to outbid 20+ teams for anyone they want.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

@macdogcharm:
    If it is a true rental there is the potential to impact next year in the following way: the Bruins would use up 100% of their cap this year.  Any performance bonuses earned would count against next year's cap.  I don't know what criteria those players have (or Recchi for that matter) but I would think Marchand at least might be close on goals.

It probably isn't a big deal, but if Chiarelli thinks they will be hitting $3M in bonuses, it could be a problem.
    That's capgeek's list of players that will be UFA's next year.  It's a start.

@captainbergeron:
    As for Gagne and Metroplit, I thought that happened during the season?  What I am talking about only comes into play once the full regular season is over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]If Boston want to pick up any rental, it is going to be really pricey.  Not many sellers and lots of buyers this year, they are going to have to outbid 20+ teams for anyone they want.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]

Not sure it will stay this way though.  Now there are a lot of teams that think they still have a shot at the playoffs.  As the standings start to shape up more, there will be more teams that realize they are out of the picture and will be looking to cut assets.

I do agree that it will be very tough to cut salary and have a fire sale this year.  Most teams in playoff contention have very little cap space, so the sellers may not be able to unload salary.  Teams like the Bruins will have to offer prospects or draft picks because they cannot offer salary relief to get deals done.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: silver lining?.......:[QUOTE]SanDog, you sure are pessimistic. Obviously Savard makes the Bruins a better team when he is at his best. He has not been at his best since he returned, plus he missed 23 early games and this Bruins team played fairly well with out him.  The decisions for Chiarelli are now compounded while all Claude can do is go with Seguin or Wheeler. Also, Kreji did play well with Looch and Horton early on, so give them some time. Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Our current wingers don't have it IMO. They can be exposed by a good coach like Terry Murray. So what do you do when you are a talented center like Krejci, Bergeron and Campbell and don't have wingers who can create their own space ? A good center would create their own then shoot but our centers do not do that they just try and create for our inconsistent wingers.

Curious if Savard could be activated for the playoffs with the black aces and not effect the cap ? Meaning if Chiarelli brought in a say 3.5Mil cap winger with Savard on LTIR then not have to send that winger (he brought in) through waivers once Marc were activated the day Savard returned for the first game of the playoffs.