Similarities between Krug and Bourque

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kavubob. Show kavubob's posts

Similarities between Krug and Bourque

Krug does not have the size as Ray, nor does he have his hitting (at least not yet), but he sure has his accuracy in hitting the net, a hard shot, and he has those moments when he skates the puck out of our zone like Ray did. I can't say enough about having another defenseman who has an accurate shot - can't stand hearing the puck hitting the plexiglass behind the net. Plus it's great to have a d-man who looks for an open man and if one is not open, skates the puck out himself. Looking forward to see how he performs against Pgh!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Similarities between Krug and Bourque

I don't think they are similar at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Would people please stop comparing Krug to all time greats.

Sure, he has played great, but he has played in a grand total of 6 NHL games. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

About the same size as Chris Bourque, both were productive for Providence this year.  Krug is younger though, plays a different position and probably has more upside.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

About the same size as Chris Bourque, both were productive for Providence this year.  Krug is younger though, plays a different position and probably has more upside.

Lol, pretty slick Crowls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

Would people please stop comparing Krug to all time greats.

Sure, he has played great, but he has played in a grand total of 6 NHL games. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Eight games, but I agree with what you said.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Eight games, but I agree with what you said.

Right, I was only looking at this season. He also played two games last season that I forgot to add in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I am not trying to put Krug in the HOF.  However, people keep comparing him to Don Sweeney.  I understand the comparison, but in style he invokes more memories of Bourque or even Wesley.  I was youg when these three guys played so I could be way off base, so could someone explain how Sweeney is more accurate.  Is it just about size.  Sweeney was good offensively, not great, he had a career high of 34 points.  He was stout defensively first and foremost.

BTW if you are uncomfortable using HOFers I will gladly accept present day comparisons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Oh good God.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

I can see where you say there similarities in thier shots. Once they find the open lane then it seems Krug picks his spot to beat the goalie, as we know Bourque could do with the best of them. When I think of Ray Bourque I think of the comsumate professional athlete, & his ability to hold the puck in the zone being uncanny. Heres hoping Krug is 1/2 of what Bourque was as a total athlete but I will agree I like the way Krug seems to pick his spots to shoot once the lane is established instead of just blasting away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've never understood the Sweeney deal either.  If I remember correctly, Sweeney was a stay at home type who hit hard.  Krug is...you know...not.

As for the others, I'm not a fan of "he looks like this" or "he plays like...".  Each man is his own man.  And man, let me tell you, I'm happy that this man is a Bruin!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

To early to compare him with anyone yet,is he just another play off wonder,lots of history of that.I don't think so,seems to have all the tools,to be around for a long time,i think him and Hamilton are going to be a great pair for many years to come.But right now he is Krug,or maybee i see some Rudy in him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Krug has certainly brightened the game for us to watch. Comparisons are tough since the viewing has been minimal. His skating could be better[ quicker] than Bourque's, but his puck control is a comparable strong point, and his shots are well placed, not wild slappers, so easier to tip, and less harmful to our own forwards. His lack of size puts him at a disadvantage when compared to Bourque, as was noted when the Rangers sandwiched him in. Expect to see the same tactic in pittsburgh. Sweeney was reliable, but did not have Krug's quickness, or Krug's ability to pick the open corner, which was Bourque"s signature. Applaud his contributions, but, hold back on comparisons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

Couldn't be further from one another if they tried.  Ray was a 220 pound banger, who was increadibly smart, physical and an outstanding defender who could also play offence.  Krug is a speedster who is small, lacking any physical talents.  That said, Krug's powerplay ability may have turned around the weakest part of the B's game these past few years.  That alone will make him valuable.  But to compare Krug with one of the best D-Man of all time is just wacky!.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

SIMILARITIES! Hes not saying hes Ray Bourque, he has similar ways to Bourque as he mentioned his shot & exit from the zone. WOW! you guys are so quick to stampeade someone. Similarities! not comparing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I don't have a problem with comparisons. However,  I do have a issue comparing a guy who plays 6 games to one of the best ever. If someone like the OP is unsure than it's better to maybe ask instead of making a ridiculous statement. A comparison is to help people get a feel of who they see when they watch a  new possible up and coming. They sometimes can be very unfair, because it creates unrealistics expectations. From what I've seen of Krug I see Kris Letang, but I'm not expecting him ro be a Letang. I expect him to fill in when he's needed and help and not hinder the team. If he can come in and continue his amazing play then I'll raise the bar a little at a time. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

They both have brown hair.  wow very similar.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

one plays left d the other right d   theres no similarities at all!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Krug did a great job taking what was give to him, namely a) a chance to play and b) PP time and c) a Rangers defensive strategy that left the D wide open for 5 games and d) a Ranger team with very little transition game.

I love Krug. His calm under pressure and willingness to make a play instead of trying to not make a mistake is refreshing and fun to watch. I think it'll be a real test when the PIT forwards close the gap on the Bruins D (they will) and PIT gets some turnovers and transition working for them. It'll be interesting to see how a guy like Krug handles that type of pressure that he has yet to see in these playoffs. I think he can handle it, but there could also be some "rude awakening" moments for him that need to be taken in stride.

You know, the take-away-time-and-space strategy that an HOFer like Bourque had to deal with every shift of his career.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Wow wat a player! reminds me more of Paul Coffey the way he skates.

If it weren't for injuries we wouldn't know about him!

He stays  for sure and will be great next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I do get the concept of not getting ahead of ourselves - we'll see what he can do next season. But in terms of style, size, and offensive capabiliy as well as defensive accumen (though he may be slightly beter in his own end), he reminds me of when I was watching Housley with the Jets in the early 90's. If he can conitnue playing like that I'll be over the moon happy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just read that Krug has been given a new moniker in the dressing room - Freddy

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeresJohnny. Show HeresJohnny's posts

Ray Bourque is probably the most complete hockey player the Bruins ever had whose name is not Bobby Orr, so comparing Krug to Bourque is a stretch, but not without some merit.  Krug has been very impressive in the Rangers series, and I thought he was last year when he played a couple of games for the Bruins just after his college career wound down. 

The reason we haven't heard much about this 22-year-old before is because of his diminutive size.  He went undrafted but the Bruins scouting organization was savvy enough to spot him and sign him to a contract.  He's now in the process of proving that he can play in the NHL.  What remains to be seen is how complete his game is.  We all know he can handle the puck, generate offense, and score goals, but he'll need to show that he can be rock solid defensively, something I don't think he'll have a chance to do in this playoff run.  I have the feeling this kid will continue to impress us, at least that is what this Bruins fan is hoping for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to HeresJohnny's comment:

Ray Bourque is probably the most complete hockey player the Bruins ever had whose name is not Bobby Orr, so comparing Krug to Bourque is a stretch, but not without some merit.  Krug has been very impressive in the Rangers series, and I thought he was last year when he played a couple of games for the Bruins just after his college career wound down. 

The reason we haven't heard much about this 22-year-old before is because of his diminutive size.  He went undrafted but the Bruins scouting organization was savvy enough to spot him and sign him to a contract.  He's now in the process of proving that he can play in the NHL.  What remains to be seen is how complete his game is.  We all know he can handle the puck, generate offense, and score goals, but he'll need to show that he can be rock solid defensively, something I don't think he'll have a chance to do in this playoff run.  I have the feeling this kid will continue to impress us, at least that is what this Bruins fan is hoping for.

Do you know Mitchco?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I find Krug nothing like Bourque.  Actually, I find him like nothing I've seen at the NHL level.  I've played with guys like him over the years, but I've never seen a small, exceptionally nimble defenseman like that in the NHL.  I find him very fun to watch.  His contributions to the team are much more like what a Coffey or Karlson bring to a team than Bourque, but he plays differently than anyone.