Similarities between Krug and Bourque

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Similarities between Krug and Bourque

In response to OatesCam's comment:

I find Krug nothing like Bourque.  Actually, I find him like nothing I've seen at the NHL level.  I've played with guys like him over the years, but I've never seen a small, exceptionally nimble defenseman like that in the NHL.  I find him very fun to watch.  His contributions to the team are much more like what a Coffey or Karlson bring to a team than Bourque, but he plays differently than anyone.

Brian Rafalski maybe?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

dear god can we pump the brakes a tiny little bit here. Krug has been fantastic, nothing but graet things to say about hte kid, but this is game 8, and we're now to compare him to who i believe is the second (or maybe third) best dman in NHL history? Don't forget, we saw hot starts for Kampfer and Hunwick too. Let's just enjoy the ride instead of talking what he projects to be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

dear god can we pump the brakes a tiny little bit here. Krug has been fantastic, nothing but graet things to say about hte kid, but this is game 8, and we're now to compare him to who i believe is the second (or maybe third) best dman in NHL history? Don't forget, we saw hot starts for Kampfer and Hunwick too. Let's just enjoy the ride instead of talking what he projects to be.

I don't remember Kampfer or Hunwick breaking any records whether playoffs or otherwise. Comparing Krug to Bourque may be silly but so is any comparison to Hunwick or Kampfer. I'll agree with your last sentence though. Comparison isn't necessary. Just enjoy what he's doing and leave it at that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to OatesCam's comment:

I find Krug nothing like Bourque.  Actually, I find him like nothing I've seen at the NHL level.  I've played with guys like him over the years, but I've never seen a small, exceptionally nimble defenseman like that in the NHL.  I find him very fun to watch.  His contributions to the team are much more like what a Coffey or Karlson bring to a team than Bourque, but he plays differently than anyone.

Brian Rafalski maybe?

They don't play similar styles - like I said, Housley (We can only hope he has that level of upside, who knows) similar styles and almost identical builds - Phil was 5'10 180 lbs in his playing days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Wasn't it Roman Hamrlik that said he idolized Bourque and wanted to play for the Bs.  Hmmm, comparisons just don't cut it.  Krug should be left alone.  His game will be compromised in time by the strategists.  Meanwhile, I hope Pittsburgh does not figure anything out with regards to the Bs.  Freddie is ok for a nickname.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I don't remember Kampfer or Hunwick breaking any records whether playoffs or otherwise. Comparing Krug to Bourque may be silly but so is any comparison to Hunwick or Kampfer. I'll agree with your last sentence though. Comparison isn't necessary. Just enjoy what he's doing and leave it at that. 

hunwick got off to a really hot start in a Bs uniform. Not to this degree, but I remember thinking "we found that puck moving D man." Difference is, now I'm convinced the bruins have found their puck moving D man

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Just read that Krug has been given a new moniker in the dressing room - Freddy

Hockey players sure are creative.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I remember reading a comment in the TSN article after game 3 of the Rangers series that said somehting along the lines of "Hamilton is going to be the next Chara" and then compared Krug to bourque and Bart to Karrlson.  lol.  I love the way the 3 kids have been playing, but wow!   Delusional much?  Remember when Steve Kampfer was the next future Norris trophy winner after a hot start?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

...and I bet not a single one of us can say anything intelligent about Krug's defensive-zone coverage, transition game, ability to win puck battles, positioning or ability to clear out in front of the net. The guy scored 4 very important goals, so therefore he's the second coming.

Give the kid a break. There will be many more bad days before good, but enjoy the spark he provided in the here and now and stop with the horribly ill-informed statements about his long-term potential.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Kampfer scored 5 goals in 40 games. Krug scored 4 goals in 5 games against arguably the best goalie in the world in the playoffs.

Krug just seems to have the "it" factor here. He was thrown into the fire and responded greater than anyone could have expected out of him. You could argue that he turned what could have been the Rangers' series into a semi-laugher. Without his goals, I'm certain that this series is still going on, and possibly with the Rangers up 3-2.

However, I do agree that comparisons need to stop. I hope that Torey Krug can be Torey Krug, and just have a successful enough career so that my kids try to idiotically draw comparisons of themselves to him somewhere down the line. I'm the tallest one in my family at 5'9", so it would make sense :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

Kampfer scored 5 goals in 40 games. Krug scored 4 goals in 5 games against arguably the best goalie in the world in the playoffs.

Krug just seems to have the "it" factor here. He was thrown into the fire and responded greater than anyone could have expected out of him. You could argue that he turned what could have been the Rangers' series into a semi-laugher. Without his goals, I'm certain that this series is still going on, and possibly with the Rangers up 3-2.

However, I do agree that comparisons need to stop. I hope that Torey Krug can be Torey Krug, and just have a successful enough career so that my kids try to idiotically draw comparisons of themselves to him somewhere down the line. I'm the tallest one in my family at 5'9", so it would make sense :)

hunwick's first season in the NHL saw him have 27 points in 53 games. The majority of those came in a hot start, where he was at least close to a point per game. A lot of people thought he would be here for a long long time but was traded for nothing (cohen played games in the coast this year)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Give Ward a little more time to work on him, and Krug will have no idea what to do on the powerplay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Not to bring up the hated Habs but I see a lot of PK in Krug. I hope the B's draft the youngest Subban in the second round. Having him and Krug, along with Dougie, would give us all the offense we need at the back end. B's losing thir first pick bugs me, but I think young Subban could be a real sleeper, much like his brother was a few years ago (B's missed on him and took Tommy Cross instead!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to kavubob's comment:

Krug does not have the size as Ray, nor does he have his hitting (at least not yet), but he sure has his accuracy in hitting the net, a hard shot, and he has those moments when he skates the puck out of our zone like Ray did. I can't say enough about having another defenseman who has an accurate shot - can't stand hearing the puck hitting the plexiglass behind the net. Plus it's great to have a d-man who looks for an open man and if one is not open, skates the puck out himself. Looking forward to see how he performs against Pgh!  

I love what Krug brings, but if he becomes one third of what Ray was I'd be thrilled.

Sections
Shortcuts