SI's top ten power forwards of all time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

SI's top ten power forwards of all time

Don't get me wrong, I love Looch, but seriously, number 10 of all time???

Of course Neely is #1.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130306/top-10-nhl-power-forwards/?sct=uk_t11_a6

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: SI's top ten power forwards of all time

Hard to argue with any of them. Still pi**ed the B's got rid of Secord before he became a 50 goal scorer. By the way, off all the 10 listed, the only one who was truly terrifying was Tocchet (remember his eyegouging of Chynoweth?).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

John Le Rocket Wensink, 30 goals....I don't buy the premise anymore. Neely was in a class by himself. There was a fear factor about Neely (they keep throwing Lucic into that, but I don't think players really fear Milan, and that's not to say Milan isn't a very good fighter and power checker). There was one power forward. His name was Cam Neely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

O'Reilly gets no love either, but he would be part of that guy's definition, no?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You know, the question of whether Lucic is feared or not is a good one. I am sure no heavyweight really fears him per se but when the average Dman sees Milan coming after them, they do seem to rush their play. I will be watching for this tonight....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lucic has that "animal" side to him when he loses his mind.  A guy that big and powerful who can fight coming at you...fear.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I just want to confirm this.  There is no power forward in the league right now who is better then Lucic, with the possible exception of Jarome Iginla.

I feel that this is false.  For Starters I will throw the name Rick Nash into the ring.  Any thoughts.  I mean Lucic is in his prime, if he is not the best in the league currently then I don't see how he snuck into No. 10.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't think goalies fear Lucic. Maybe Miller :P  But I think there were a few goalies who feared Neely. Neely is THE prototype for what an NHL power forward should be. Is anyone else surprised SI didn't totally blow this????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Hard to argue with any of them. Still pi**ed the B's got rid of Secord before he became a 50 goal scorer. By the way, off all the 10 listed, the only one who was truly terrifying was Tocchet (remember his eyegouging of Chynoweth?).

But JM trading Secord brought us our future GM Mike O'Connell.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Was that really neccessary?! OUCH! :P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

lol....thank you Mr. Wirtz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I love Lucic and yeah, he is feared.  But way too early for him to be on this list.

With less than 100 career goals, Lucic can't be considered above career power forwards like John LeClair (406 goals), Bill Guerin (429 goals), or Tim Kerr (370 goals).  Plenty of 40 and 50 goal seasons spinkled in there too.

Perhaps the power forward needs to be defined more clearly.

Could smaller guys who played the power game be considered?  Like say, Dino Ciccarelli or Pat Verbeek.  I'm confused...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I love Lucic and yeah, he is feared.  But way too early for him to be on this list.

With less than 100 career goals, Lucic can't be considered above career power forwards like John LeClair (406 goals), Bill Guerin (429 goals), or Tim Kerr (370 goals).  Plenty of 40 and 50 goal seasons spinkled in there too.

Could smaller guys who played the power game be considered?  Like say, Dino Ciccarelli or Pat Verbeek.  I'm confused...

I know they could score goals and that can scare anybody but i don't know if d-men feared any of these guys barreling down on them, they were big but definitely not bruisers.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Fletch if you read the article of how the writer defined power forward you'll understand why Lucic made the list. LeClair wasn't a power forward, because when did he ever use his size & strength to punish someone with a hit, take the puck & score? He, nor Rick Nash use their  "Power" the way it's defined as a power forward. Neither made this writers list for same reason Mark Messier, or Howe didn't! Which I think Messier was a PF early in his career. Then he got by with just "the look" which was the dumbest thing I ever heard!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nobody was scared of Dino unless he was your neighbor.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to inflamedcolon's comment:

Don't get me wrong, I love Looch, but seriously, number 10 of all time???

Of course Neely is #1.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130306/top-10-nhl-power-forwards/?sct=uk_t11_a6

I thin it's fair. I think it's a little early, but there are so few now, he clearly stands out. I also think some fans here underappreciate how good he is. Does he have flaws like controlling the puck or missing looks that are there? Yep. But, not everyone can't have a perfect skill set.

He is clearly the closest thing to Neely I;ve seen, even if it's a coincidence each played here.  No one really wanted to fight Neely and no one really wants to fight Lucic either.  Neely was the more gifted player, but again, the power forward concept is such a lost art, and it is an art IMO, that he could very easily be a #10 on a list like this.

I didn't like Iginla above Clark on the list and I feel that Owen Nolan has to be on the list.  I always felt Shanahan was incredibly overrated and only produced when playing with loaded talent around him.   Not a fan regardless of production.  He whined his way out of Hartford like a little girl.

I'd also rather see guys like Howe and Messier on the list over someone like Rick Tocchet. Not sure Tocchet was a power forward more so than Messier.

It appears he left out Centers in the discussion, which is fine, though. Makes sense. Wingers are usually affiliated with it, but then the list included Lindros which, IMO, shouldn't be on the list at all.

Lindros, as big as he was, was in incredible wuss.

Agree about Nolan, disagree about Rick. Kevin Stevens was another one that I was surprised wasn't mentioned. I don't think he defined a PF either, but in other articles pertaining to the same subject he was.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Agree about Nolan, disagree about Rick. Kevin Stevens was another one that I was surprised wasn't mentioned. I don't think he defined a PF either, but in other articles pertaining to the same subject he was.

Exactly right about Tocchet. He started his career as a pugilist and gradually became a prolific scorer...and he was feared big time.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Exactly right about Tocchet. He started his career as a pugilist and gradually became a prolific scorer...and he was feared big time.

One of my most favourite fights of all time is Neely vs Tocchet. And Ricky telling Cam "Good job!" at the end of it! You couldn't ask for two bigger warriors than those two. And I'm surprised the writer didn't mention about Rick breaking his jaw in the play-offs while with the Pens, putting a plastic face shield & coming back out to score the game winning goal

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts