Skating Clowns for Sale!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Skating Clowns for Sale!

It appears that a few GMs are coming over to my way of thinking.  Zack Stortini, and Steve MacIntyre (and a couple others I can't remember) have been told they won't be re-signed.

Know why?

THEY'RE USELESS!!!  They can't play hockey.  All they do is skate around in circles and fight each other.   I would guess in five years or less, all of these empty helmets are completely phased out.

(Side note:  Toronto signed Jay Rosehill to buck the trend.  He's a defenseman, right?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!

In Response to Skating Clowns for Sale!:
    [QUOTE]It appears that a few GMs are coming over to my way of thinking.  Zack Stortini, and Steve MacIntyre (and a couple others I can't remember) have been told they won't be re-signed. Know why? THEY'RE USELESS!!!  They can't play hockey.  All they do is skate around in circles and fight each other.   I would guess in five years or less, all of these empty helmets are completely phased out. (Side note:  Toronto signed Jay Rosehill to buck the trend.  He's a defenseman, right?)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

so you still dont like thornton on the team?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I will state quite clearly, Thornton is a great team guy.  He does interviews, plays with passion for 8 minutes, fights with honor, and is NOT needed on the team.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Sitting Seguin and putting in Thornton was one of the best coaching decisions made this playoff run.  Im not saying someone who has absolutely no skill and is just there to fight is needed, but this is not the case with Thornton. Fighting aside, he is a great 4th liner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I like the guy but that roster spot could be put to better use. Amongst the clowns, he has decent hockey skills and might survive on somebody's roster, maybe, but shouldn't be on the Boston roster. He's AHL level really. As hockey players, most of these guys like him have no business in the AHL let alone the NHL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!:
    [QUOTE]Sitting Seguin and putting in Thornton was one of the best coaching decisions made this playoff run.  Im not saying someone who has absolutely no skill and is just there to fight is needed, but this is not the case with Thornton. Fighting aside, he is a great 4th liner.
    Posted by Rufus604[/QUOTE]

Fighting aside, what does he do?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thornton is a hockey player when compared to Orr, Shelley, Gilles, Parros, Engelland etc. but if Shawn is on the ice over 55 games next season something is a miss. Playing someone like him instead of giving prospects TOI is wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Thornton is a hockey player when compared to Orr, Shelley, Gilles, Parros, Engelland etc. but if Shawn is on the ice over 55 games next season something is a miss. Playing someone like him instead of giving prospects TOI is wrong.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Skating Clowns will soon be out of the NHL forever,  Shelley and Carcillo likely will be looking for work as well.  Carcillo actually has some hockey skill.  But not enough to merit a contract in the NHL.
    Thorton, who did play well in the finals should only dress when another team plays a clown.  He did net some goals this year in a career year.  But when you look at the Eastern conference is there really a need for a clown? 
    Thorton is safe for one more year.  Then he likely will bounce around the minors as a circus side show. 
    I don't hate him.  I just would rather have a guy who can play. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

You guys are crazy. My guess here again is that most of you never played hockey. Intimidation is part of the game people, and someone with a nasty temper is alot more intimadating then someone who doesnt. Mr. thorton has a nasty temper.

His addition to the lineup in the finals combined with the hit on horton turned that series around. Think vancouver fans at any point were going "where is our shawn thorton to stop brad marchand from punching daniel sedin in the face 6 times and laugh about it ?".. the canucks were scared from the second he entered the series till the end and had no answer for it... because they were all "skilled hockey players" who werent willing to lose a tooth or two for the cup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

i'll take Shawn Thornton on my team anyday.... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Playing hockey I loved to have a player like Thornton on my team.  Energy, toughness, attitude, great talker on the bench, willing to stick up for teamates even if he isn't asked to go.  He also knows his role and doesn't sulk if his icetime is limited and the scorers know he isn't itching to take their spot.  It's not a coincidence that players like Gretzky and McSorley often become friends.  It's very easy for them to co-exist.  I would think the impact of bringing him in would be evident to anyone who watched the cup final, but I guess not.  In a cap era his value is increased, not decreased.  If you can get anything from a guy making close to the league minimum you've got a good find.  You're not going to get a high-skill player, and if you did they wouldn't be happy with 8 minutes.  Filling a spot with a guy who is cheap and brings something to the team is great.  Some goons are useless, but Thornton is actually good for his price tag.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are crazy. My guess here again is that most of you never played hockey. Intimidation is part of the game people, and someone with a nasty temper is alot more intimadating then someone who doesnt. Mr. thorton has a nasty temper. His addition to the lineup in the finals combined with the hit on horton turned that series around. Think vancouver fans at any point were going "where is our shawn thorton to stop brad marchand from punching daniel sedin in the face 6 times and laugh about it ?".. the canucks were scared from the second he entered the series till the end and had no answer for it... because they were all "skilled hockey players" who werent willing to lose a tooth or two for the cup.
    Posted by puckhog9966[/QUOTE]

Why would you think any Canuck player was intimidated by Thornton. 

a)  It was the Cup Finals.  He's not going to take 2-5-10 and the gate to beat someone up.

b)  He never just beat anyone up.  He asks first.  All they had to do was decline.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] It's not a coincidence that players like Gretzky and McSorley often become friends.  It's very easy for them to co-exist. 
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

That was before the instigator came around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are crazy. My guess here again is that most of you never played hockey. Intimidation is part of the game people, and someone with a nasty temper is alot more intimadating then someone who doesnt. Mr. thorton has a nasty temper. His addition to the lineup in the finals combined with the hit on horton turned that series around. Think vancouver fans at any point were going "where is our shawn thorton to stop brad marchand from punching daniel sedin in the face 6 times and laugh about it ?".. the canucks were scared from the second he entered the series till the end and had no answer for it... because they were all "skilled hockey players" who werent willing to lose a tooth or two for the cup.
    Posted by puckhog9966[/QUOTE]
    scared of what?  scared?  really?  grown men scared.  pretty sure brad would have done that regardless of thorton or not.  boston does have a pretty good fighting team and doesnt need thorton. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : scared of what?  scared?  really?  grown men scared.  pretty sure brad would have done that regardless of thorton or not.  boston does have a pretty good fighting team and doesnt need thorton. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I think they were more worried about Lucic.  Thornton and Chara have lightswitch mean streaks.  Lucic can still lose his mind occasionally.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The fact that a tough guy and a scorer play two totally different roles on a team and thus have not even the slightest professional rivalry and develop friendships has nothing to do with whether the league has an instigator rule that they stopped enforcing this past season.  For modern examples, see Crosby and Armstrong, Downy and Stamkos, Thornton and the rest of the Bruins team.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : That was before the instigator came around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The fact that a tough guy and a scorer play two totally different roles on a team and thus have not even the slightest professional rivalry and develop friendships has nothing to do with whether the league has an instigator rule that they stopped enforcing this past season.  For modern examples, see Crosby and Armstrong, Downy and Stamkos, Thornton and the rest of the Bruins team. In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Colby Armstrong? He of the two fights per season maximum?

Steve Downie?  He of the Steve Ott School of Hockey?

Let me know when these guys become tough guys and I will be happy to continue this conversation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : scared of what?  scared?  really?  grown men scared.  pretty sure brad would have done that regardless of thorton or not.  boston does have a pretty good fighting team and doesnt need thorton. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the sister were scared the entire series, that brute March scared the beejeesus out of them. Woot Woot March for Captain Woot Woot.lol

Clowns are in the top 10 of phobias, dancing clowns not so much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]If Thornton goes, Paille and Campbell become less effective.  They have to play that style.  If we can afford to replace all three of them, and that new fourth line is better then I get it.  But right now that fourth line is a unit.  We've seen it.  Peverley for Thornton doesn't make it better.  Seguin for Thornton doesn't make it better.  Ryder for Thornton doesn't make it better.  The whole line has a certain tone.  If Thornton goes, it changes the whole line.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]

Paille and Campbell looked pretty good out there by themselves.  They don't even need another winger to keep the opposition off the board.

When Ryder was with them, they were very effective.  When Seguin was out there, they were very effective.  If we put Coitus Phony out there, they'd be very effective.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I do think there is a difference between straight out goons; Orr, Parros, Shelley, Gillies and guys like Thornton or Rupp that can play a little and fight.

I agree that the league is moving away from the former, but there will still be a role for the latter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Skating Clowns for Sale!:
    [QUOTE]It appears that a few GMs are coming over to my way of thinking.  Zack Stortini, and Steve MacIntyre (and a couple others I can't remember) have been told they won't be re-signed. Know why? THEY'RE USELESS!!!  They can't play hockey.  All they do is skate around in circles and fight each other.   I would guess in five years or less, all of these empty helmets are completely phased out. (Side note:  Toronto signed Jay Rosehill to buck the trend.  He's a defenseman, right?)

Hockey is a violent game. I don't need to tell you that for any other reason than to have a starting point for my point of view in this discussion. 

Do we all wish it was more skill and less violence? Well, I can't tell you that. Some people hate it, and some people love it. By the cheering in the crowd when 2 guys square off in a good tilt, or when everyone in the bar pays attention when they drop the gloves, I'd say there is a large appetite for it. Remember, this is entertainment, and ticket must be sold. This is PROFESSION hockey, not Olympic Hockey. 82 games squeezed into 6 months, with 3 games in 4 nights, & travel in between doesn't always make for optimum performance. 

Here's where I see the fit. Say you are playing a team that has a real dirty player who is constantly in the face of your best players. Say Marchant on the Sedin Sisters. He keeps punching your best player in the face, and gets away with it. What are you going to do? Let your best players get thrown off their game because of this, or do you send someone out to have a talk with him. Me, I send someone out to let him know that there is a world of hurt for him, or his team's better players if he doesn't show some respect. I don't want Lucic doing this. I don't want Chara. And I don't want to lose the Cup because my "Best Players" are off their game. 

Most times in the playoffs this is a non-issue, because they don't dress the Enforcer, but during the regular season, you got to have one of these guys, and 10 goals to boot, works for me. 

The Matt Cooke hit is outside of the bounds of this conversation, in my opinion. That is a League matter, and they failed miserably in that department. 

The Enforcer is to stop the chippy little crap that goes on to your best players. That is why guys like Cooke and Avery have jobs, and guys like Thorton are there to keep them in check. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Skating Clowns for Sale! :Say you are playing a team that has a real dirty player who is constantly in the face of your best players. Say Marchant on the Sedin Sisters. He keeps punching your best player in the face, and gets away with it. What are you going to do? Let your best players get thrown off their game because of this, or do you send someone out to have a talk with him. Me, I send someone out to let him know that there is a world of hurt for him, or his team's better players if he doesn't show some respect.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you've said but unfortunately, this isn't the role of the Skating Clowns.  They don't do this anymore.  They fight each other.  That's it.  Maybe, maybe once in a while a clown will take on a non-clown who has done something dirty (see:  Thornton vs. Cooke or Thornton vs. Alberts) but overall, it's Skating Clown vs Skating Clown in a fight because they don't know what else to do.

Thornton vs. Cooke or Alberts?  That is hockey.

Thornton vs. Colton Orr?  That's not hockey.  That's two guys who can skate and fight, skating and fighting.

Here is a good example of the resume of a Skating Clown:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1859/fightcard/reg2011

Outside of poor Mike Weber, find me a hockey player that Parros fought.  Find me an example of Parros being an enforcer and not a straight up goon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Personally.....I can't see how you can compare the value of Thorton with the likes of Orr, Rosehill & the rest of the skating clowns you've mentioned....NAS it dosen't matter if you like Thorton or not.

The fact is, the Bruins put Thorton on the 4th line in the playoffs and Thorton did his fourth line job. Period....I don't think any coach would have shown the trust to the other skating clowns, as CJ did with Thorton. He deserves his second stanley cup ring, he earned it ....go bruins go !!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You miss the point, and it is the same reason you miss the point of having enforcers in the lineup.  As a player, I preferred when my team had a player like this.  It is more important against some teams than others.  Against TB, the game was clean and the role wasn't needed.  Against Van, the game was chippy and full of junk, and it was a value.  As soon as Thornton entered the lineup the focus shifted from what Lapierre and Burrows were doing.  It's a mental thing.  There doen't need to be a fight for the intimidation to take place.  And the team enjoys having him on the bench.  I respect your opinion, it's a valid one, but my experience as a player and fan has created a different one.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Colby Armstrong? He of the two fights per season maximum? Steve Downie?  He of the Steve Ott School of Hockey? Let me know when these guys become tough guys and I will be happy to continue this conversation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I do think there is a difference between straight out goons; Orr, Parros, Shelley, Gillies and guys like Thornton or Rupp that can play a little and fight. I agree that the league is moving away from the former, but there will still be a role for the latter.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I agree, Crowls, that there is a difference between them.  I would still sooner lump Thornton in with Jody Shelley before I'd lump him together with Paille and Campbell.