Skating Clowns for Sale!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!:
    You miss the point, and it is the same reason you miss the point of having enforcers in the lineup.  As a player, I preferred when my team had a player like this.  It is more important against some teams than others.  Against TB, the game was clean and the role wasn't needed.  Against Van, the game was chippy and full of junk, and it was a value.  As soon as Thornton entered the lineup the focus shifted from what Lapierre and Burrows were doing.  It's a mental thing.  There doen't need to be a fight for the intimidation to take place.  And the team enjoys having him on the bench.  I respect your opinion, it's a valid one, but my experience as a player and fan has created a different one. In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! :
    Posted by OatesCam

And my experience as a player and a fan has created mine.  Thornton fans will credit him for the big turn around.  Those of us who see little to no value to the goons will credit the hit on Horton.

It's just a different viewpoint. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

You need Thornton on the team because he does not hurt us defensively, he is a good forechecker and he will take care of other teams skating clowns when they push around our star players.  If you want to be like the habs then you dont sign him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Wow, short term memory....we had one of the best 4th lines in the league!  Thornton scored 10 goals (most of them pretty) in limited time, which translates to 20 on a higher line.  He may not be pretty, but he's effective and that's the bottom line.  Some good points have been made as well about the price tag.  In a cap era you need to have people who can play for $1M and not hurt the team and that's exactly what Thornton does.  He knows his role and he does it well.

The 4th line is for that style of play.  Would it really be better to have a skilled prospect playing with 2 muckers, or is he going to learn more playing on a top line of the AHL with other skilled prospects?

There's a reason he's got multiple cups

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

this thread started because some enforcers were not offered new contracts by their teams but rest assured that when the puck's dropped in October these same teams will have someone else there to do the same job....  the last time i checked, fighting was still permitted in the nhl....

as for the B'S having plenty of guys who can defend themselves, i.e. Chara, Lucic, etc., the B'S still prefer having a guy like Thornton take care of that dirty work....  so do i....

that said, Thornton's more than a "skating clown" and like someone previously stated, earned his name on Lord Stanley as much as any other B'S player having done well what he's paid to do....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

We can debate all day if the enforcer is still needed or what their purpose is. Is it to protect star players? Enforce the code, etc..etc..To me players like Thornton,Parros, Shelley etc..will always have a role in the game for 1 reason.Entertainment value...Some people hate the fighting some people love the fighting, but neither flip the channel or leave their seat when a fight is happening...They'll always be enough of a demand for it to keep it alive and the NHL knows this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

Thornton is more than a enforcer (clown). You also do not want Lucic,Chara,
    fighting. They are two of the tougher guys in the NHL but you risk injuries
    every time you drop the gloves let Thorton take care of that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

While I agreed with Thornton taking a seat for the Tampa series, I also agreed with bringing him back for the Vancouver. He changed the whole attitude of the final round. If you can't see that, then you're just blinded by your dislike for the man.

Thornton is a necessary member of this team. Period.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : scared of what?  scared?  really?  grown men scared.  pretty sure brad would have done that regardless of thorton or not.  boston does have a pretty good fighting team and doesnt need thorton. 
    Posted by shuperman

Last 5 games of the series (Thorton playing) total score was 21-4, Bruins won 4 of the 5. Vancouver played scared. Proof is in the pudding. Who defended Daniel Sedin again? Thats right... no one and he was certainly to scared to defend himself. Maybe brad does what he did with or without Thorton, maybe Vancouver responds without Thorton with biting and whatnot like they were doing before he came into the series. But they knew there would be a price to be payed in teeth if it continued.

I'll also comment that Mr. Thorton now has 2 Stanley Cups in the last 7 years? How many other players can claim that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

Wow, I can't believe people are questioning Thornton's value.  He is not in the same category as a Shelly, Orr, Parros.  If he wasn't on the team, then you have, as some say a rookie prospect on that line, how much do you think that line plays over the course of any given game?  You think they're going to get as much Ice time as they do now?  The reason that line gets ice time is because they are effective, in all 3 zones and are trusted by the coaching staff.  He's not a goon.  He drops the gloves because he can and only when needed.  He only had 14 fights this season in 79 games.  Hardly goon numbers. 

Lastly, don't forget that teams have different styles and philosophies.  We would all line up behind Big Bad Bruins hockey and call ourselves "Real Hockey Fans" before we would line up behind "european soft Canucks hockey".  So for anyone to not understand what Thornton brings and see how well he thinks the game, I'm sure the Canucks could use a few more fans after they got embarrassed in front of the World.  Good luck with that....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Agree that Thornton is more a clown than not but the guy does have a bit of skill (borderline NHL IMO). However, I love guys like Thornton in the salary cap era. Provides grit, energy and leadership all at a low price. Plus, the guy does have a cannon of a shot and it's always good to see him get on the ice, power down to the offensive zone, rip a shot, and get an offensive zone faceoff. 

For 4th line minutes, I'd rather have a semi-responsible guy like Thornton in the defensive zone than a kid that's still learning the NHL game. Give me a small cap hit, grit and leadership in that space instead of a kid that isn't ready or you have to pay sooner than you needed to.

Overall, completely agree with the premise though. Straight up goons are useless, unless you're a small (size wise), low attendence, team like the Islanders. In that case, I understand it (but don't condone it). If I were building a team, I wouldn't take an Orr or Gilles, but I understand teams sign them to protect their small players or boost attendence.

Way to get rid of goons 1) Set a max fight threshold and suspensions thereafter 2) reduce the roster by 1 (NHLPA wouldn't allow it)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Why would you think any Canuck player was intimidated by Thornton.  a)  It was the Cup Finals.  He's not going to take 2-5-10 and the gate to beat someone up. b)  He never just beat anyone up.  He asks first.  All they had to do was decline.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

It's really funny you would say this. I won't give you my opinion on whether Thornton intimidated the Canucks or whether his honorable nature has value to the Bruins, but I will give you a snippet from Kerry Fraser's article on TSN, which I think is extremely telling.

For those of you who don't know who Kerry Fraser is, he is a ref who called nearly 2000 regular season and 300 playoff games, and retired in 09-10 after 37 years as a member of the NHL refs association.

Here's what he thinks of Shawn Thornton, whether he intimidates (even in the Cup Final), and whether Thornton has a role to play:

"With about 12 minutes in Game 3 remaining, Shawn Thornton was sent to the showers in a game management decision by the referee. At the time, I didn't think it wise to send this Boston policeman to the showers. Hostilities actually increased once Thornton was gone and the fear of the 500-pound gorilla being let out of his cage no longer existed. Shawn knows his role but is also an honourable guy that will work with the officials. Once again it's about feeling the pulse of the game and keeping the temperature around 98.7. Shawn Thornton would have been an asset that I would have utilized to the advantage of the game and solicited his cooperation if possible. In the end he might have gotten to the shower first but not with 12 minutes remaining."

Just from this passage, I would believe that after "soliciting his cooperation" a ref might be more leniant towards aggressive actions by that player's team in the future -- a benefit to the team. I'd also think that the player could use that same ability to protect his teammates and prevent the other team from taking runs at our stars.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Thornton is the closest thing the B's have to Terry O'Reilly—a guy who will crash, bang, snarl and provide a jolt of adrenaline to the whole team. Granted, he can't score like T.O. did, but considering how much he makes, he's a good value.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

I'm glad to hear that you see the value, but you contradict yourself here.  Agree that Thornton is more a clown than not but the guy does have a bit of skill
    Then you say: Provides grit, energy and leadership all at a low price. Plus, the guy does have a cannon of a shot and it's always good to see him get on the ice, power down to the offensive zone, rip a shot, and get an offensive zone faceoff.
    He can't be more of a clown than not and have all of those qualities because his teammates and coaches would not have that much faith in him.

Agree that Thornton is more a clown than not but the guy does have a bit of skill (borderline NHL IMO). However, I love guys like Thornton in the salary cap era. Provides grit, energy and leadership all at a low price. Plus, the guy does have a cannon of a shot and it's always good to see him get on the ice, power down to the offensive zone, rip a shot, and get an offensive zone faceoff.  For 4th line minutes, I'd rather have a semi-responsible guy like Thornton in the defensive zone than a kid that's still learning the NHL game. Give me a small cap hit, grit and leadership in that space instead of a kid that isn't ready or you have to pay sooner than you needed to. Overall, completely agree with the premise though. Straight up goons are useless, unless you're a small (size wise), low attendence, team like the Islanders. In that case, I understand it (but don't condone it). If I were building a team, I wouldn't take an Orr or Gilles, but I understand teams sign them to protect their small players or boost attendence.   Way to get rid of goons 1) Set a max fight threshold and suspensions thereafter 2) reduce the roster by 1 (NHLPA wouldn't allow it)
    Posted by nrguy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

You're probably right. More often than not they just go toe to toe with each other. But if for even one shift they keep the Avery's of the world away from your best players, it might be worth it. 

I wonder why GMs keep them around when they could replace them with a skilled player. We should ask Detroit GM Holland why he has them, when his team is tough and can make the other team pay big for taking dumb penalties. They have had some of the biggest nastiest fighters. 

Outside of entertainment, maybe they are useless. I've always preferred the Cam Neely and Wendel Clark type. They can fight but are primarily hockey players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I'm glad to hear that you see the value, but you contradict yourself here.  Agree that Thornton is more a clown than not but the guy does have a bit of skill Then you say: Provides grit, energy and leadership all at a low price. Plus, the guy does have a cannon of a shot and it's always good to see him get on the ice, power down to the offensive zone, rip a shot, and get an offensive zone faceoff. He can't be more of a clown than not and have all of those qualities because his teammates and coaches would not have that much faith in him. In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! :
    Posted by sgebhardt8

Not really. I love how people see a possible contradiction or someone being a hypocrit and then love to scream FOUL!!

Thornton is more a goon than a goal scorer but that doesn't mean he has no value as a hockey player - just because I note that he can play hockey, doesn't mean that I think he's more hockey player than goon. If you couldn't get that out of what I typed, you were just reading to find a contradiction. There are better leaders, better checkers, better shots, better forecheckers in the AHL than Thornton, but Thornton is cheap and can play the goon role for you so he has value on an NHL squad.

If you ask me who would I rather have on the team - Thornton or Paille, I pick Paille every day. Paille (despite being a 1st rounder) was a cast off from Buffalo for a mid round pick. 

Just because I like some of the things he does other than fighting doesn't mean I think he's a good hockey player without it. He's more of a clown than not. Why. If he didn't fight or intimidate guys, I might prefer Whitfield out there. 

Goon----------Thornton----------------Hockey Player

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Last 5 games of the series (Thorton playing) total score was 21-4, Bruins won 4 of the 5. Vancouver played scared. Proof is in the pudding. Who defended Daniel Sedin again? Thats right... no one and he was certainly to scared to defend himself. Maybe brad does what he did with or without Thorton, maybe Vancouver responds without Thorton with biting and whatnot like they were doing before he came into the series. But they knew there would be a price to be payed in teeth if it continued. I'll also comment that Mr. Thorton now has 2 Stanley Cups in the last 7 years? How many other players can claim that?
    Posted by puckhog9966

So one of the worst players in the league was lucky enough to play on the best teams in the league.  
    How many points did Thorton have.  I didnt realize he was getting hat tricks in these one sided games. 
    Thorton's value on the ice is minimal.
    Of the so called players mentioned on here how many times did Thorton fight them in the playoffs or in his career??  Has Thorton ever fought Lapierre, Burrows or Downie? 
    Our entire team is tough, so why do we need a "fighter"?  Chara is probably the best fighter in the league, Lucic, Horton, McQuad, Campy, Ference, Boychuk all will drop the gloves. 

I thought Thorton did a decent job against Van who is a physical team.  But people on here think his play was a major reason we won.  Which simply isnt true.  He was a piece of the puzzle, a very very very small piece.  His leadership doesnt come from his play. 

If another team doesnt have the skating clown I don't think Thorton should dress.  He doesnt keep anyone honest.  If he did Savy would have his name on the cup, Horton wouldnt have been run by Rome, Bergie wouldnt have head injuries. 

Thorton seems like a really fun guy and I can see how he would be a good team guy(which is important), but take fighting out and he is playing in some beer league.  People chime about his 10 goals.  How many did he have once Marchand left his line?  Campy's play also went south.  So the best 4th line in the league was anchored by a 2nd line player for a good chunk of the season.  Then dropped off quickly once that skill player left. 

If Thorton hits 10 goals this year I will start a thread and say I am a complete idiot.  He had one the year previous and wasnt even a scorer in junior.  He is a fighter and is a lot closer to skating clown than he is to hockey player.  Look at his career including junior.  He is the definition of skating clown from the time he entered junior. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : It's really funny you would say this. I won't give you my opinion on whether Thornton intimidated the Canucks or whether his honorable nature has value to the Bruins, but I will give you a snippet from Kerry Fraser's article on TSN, which I think is extremely telling. For those of you who don't know who Kerry Fraser is, he is a ref who called nearly 2000 regular season and 300 playoff games, and retired in 09-10 after 37 years as a member of the NHL refs association. Here's what he thinks of Shawn Thornton, whether he intimidates (even in the Cup Final), and whether Thornton has a role to play: "With about 12 minutes in Game 3 remaining, Shawn Thornton was sent to the showers in a game management decision by the referee. At the time, I didn't think it wise to send this Boston policeman to the showers . Hostilities actually increased once Thornton was gone and the fear of the 500-pound gorilla being let out of his cage no longer existed. Shawn knows his role but is also an honourable guy that will work with the officials. Once again it's about feeling the pulse of the game and keeping the temperature around 98.7. Shawn Thornton would have been an asset that I would have utilized to the advantage of the game and solicited his cooperation if possible. In the end he might have gotten to the shower first but not with 12 minutes remaining." Just from this passage, I would believe that after "soliciting his cooperation" a ref might be more leniant towards aggressive actions by that player's team in the future -- a benefit to the team. I'd also think that the player could use that same ability to protect his teammates and prevent the other team from taking runs at our stars.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Good stuff DC.  What most here are saying about "skating clowns" is true.  2 things though, ST isn't one of them, and 2. anyone thinking the clowns could be done forever hasn't learned much about how pro sport operates.  "Forever", is about 20 games.  Paying anything much for goalies, "forever" went out the door last year about this time.  We see how long that lasted.
    Skating clowns are the result of manic team executives trying to one up each other, and I agree they have no real value.  They've been in and out of vogue several times since the 60's.  Currently, they seem to posses less overall hockey skill than ever, and the architects of the game appear to be tiring of them. 
    Again.  But for how long?

Back to Thorton.  The two camps here, either credit ST's cup final contribution as being huge, or minimal.  Both are entitled to their opinion, but neither is the result of much substance.
    Here are the facts.  A team of just highly skilled players is not enough to guarantee success.  In fact, in todays cap era, no team can even afford a full lineup of highly skilled players.
    "Skill", is generally interpreted as a gift, more of the offensive variety, than the defensive.
    After a teams core is signed, so are the available parts a team can afford to complete the process.  To objectively debate a players worth, one must compare at pay scale.

Now my opinion.  Sean Thorton is a valuable cog in the Spoked B wheel.
    Why?  Several reasons.  I know how important "chemistry" is.  I know it means many different things, and if management and teamates, say he's an important piece...I believe them.  I have no substancial information from which to argue.
    Two.  He accounts for about 1/80th of the team payroll.  Don't most here realize how small 1/80th really is, and how little one needs to contribute to easily over deliver?  He just completed a year in which his contributions can easily be calculated to show his pay is a bargain(812 cap hit) compared to most comparitively paid NHLers(less those with entry deals)........and finally, I truly believe there are 29 other GM's out there, who today....in a moments notice,.... would sign Sean Thorton for 800 grand next year....
    If they only could.
    Finally, for those that would argue "he's taking away ice time from younger players with more potential upside".
    NO !
    He doesn't decide that.  Management does, and when they decide to play him, they're indirectly telling the younger guys, that in some way he's earned it, and if they want in, they're gonna have to claw their way in.
    Competition.  That's what you teach young pro's.  No entitlement.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

good post.  well thought out.  and yes he likely would get a contract from the other teams around the league for that amount.  in terms of skating clowns he is likely the best. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

If Thornton goes, Paille and Campbell become less effective.  They have to play that style.  If we can afford to replace all three of them, and that new fourth line is better then I get it.  But right now that fourth line is a unit.  We've seen it.  Peverley for Thornton doesn't make it better.  Seguin for Thornton doesn't make it better.  Ryder for Thornton doesn't make it better.  The whole line has a certain tone.  If Thornton goes, it changes the whole line.
    Posted by mattc355

Well said...I totally agree...some people just havent PLAYED hockey I guess to fully understand

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : So one of the worst players in the league was lucky enough to play on the best teams in the league.   How many points did Thorton have.  I didnt realize he was getting hat tricks in these one sided games.  Thorton's value on the ice is minimal. Of the so called players mentioned on here how many times did Thorton fight them in the playoffs or in his career??  Has Thorton ever fought Lapierre, Burrows or Downie?  Our entire team is tough, so why do we need a "fighter"?  Chara is probably the best fighter in the league, Lucic, Horton, McQuad, Campy, Ference, Boychuk all will drop the gloves.  I thought Thorton did a decent job against Van who is a physical team.  But people on here think his play was a major reason we won.  Which simply isnt true.  He was a piece of the puzzle, a very very very small piece.  His leadership doesnt come from his play.  If another team doesnt have the skating clown I don't think Thorton should dress.  He doesnt keep anyone honest.  If he did Savy would have his name on the cup, Horton wouldnt have been run by Rome, Bergie wouldnt have head injuries.  Thorton seems like a really fun guy and I can see how he would be a good team guy(which is important), but take fighting out and he is playing in some beer league.  People chime about his 10 goals.  How many did he have once Marchand left his line?  Campy's play also went south.  So the best 4th line in the league was anchored by a 2nd line player for a good chunk of the season.  Then dropped off quickly once that skill player left.  If Thorton hits 10 goals this year I will start a thread and say I am a complete idiot.  He had one the year previous and wasnt even a scorer in junior.  He is a fighter and is a lot closer to skating clown than he is to hockey player.  Look at his career including junior.  He is the definition of skating clown from the time he entered junior. 
    Posted by shuperman

Why do you need thorton playing? because you cant have Chara fighting. Everytime chara wasnt on the ice against the best players this playoffs the puck never left the bruins zone. Chara is also not even close to the league's best fighter, is he tough as nails? i know he played a playoff series against montreal a couple years ago with a broken rib. So ill say he's pretty damn tough. The real "skating clowns" would mop up the ice with chara though.

I hate the staged foolish fights as much as anyone else, but a real emotional fight involving someone who can really go at it like thorton can is as good as it gets. I'll take a Gordie Howe hatrick over a real hatrick anyday. The fighters who can bring a solid game that doesnt hurt his team for a few minutes a night will allways have a place in this league.

I was at the dallas game this past year, the one that had 3 fights in the first 4 seconds and if there was no place for fighting then why was that probably the best game of the year, short of the playoffs? (that montreal game a week later was really good as well, but it also had tons of fights in it.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Why do you need thorton playing? because you cant have Chara fighting. Everytime chara wasnt on the ice against the best players this playoffs the puck never left the bruins zone. Chara is also not even close to the league's best fighter, is he tough as nails? i know he played a playoff series against montreal a couple years ago with a broken rib. So ill say he's pretty damn tough. The real "skating clowns" would mop up the ice with chara though. I hate the staged foolish fights as much as anyone else, but a real emotional fight involving someone who can really go at it like thorton can is as good as it gets. I'll take a Gordie Howe hatrick over a real hatrick anyday. The fighters who can bring a solid game that doesnt hurt his team for a few minutes a night will allways have a place in this league. I was at the dallas game this past year, the one that had 3 fights in the first 4 seconds and if there was no place for fighting then why was that probably the best game of the year, short of the playoffs? (that montreal game a week later was really good as well, but it also had tons of fights in it.)
    Posted by puckhog9966

How many fights was Thorton in the playoffs?  How many? 
    How many Gordie Howe hat tricks did he get?
    No one said fighting is a bad thing but if he has no dance partner what is the point.  The league is slowly getting rid of these types of players. 

And people who keep saying "must have never played hockey" need to give it a rest.  I have at a high level but I don't need to give my resume out on here.  Its opinion based not on where we have played.  I have fought some really tough customers in my day as well(Bonvie, Langdon, W. Brookbank) .  I played against Shelley when he played hockey for Dalhousie University and he was the worst player on the ice most nights.  CIS hockey is based on skill, not fighting and he stood out badly.  Let's leave our own hockey experience outta these debates and stick to opinions.

Thorton is good in his role when the other teams dress their guys.  As I have pointed out, he didn't save Savy, Bergie, Horton from concusions by his presence.  Teams arent affraid of him and love when he is on the ice.  If you arent a fighter he won't fight you.  so why would you be affraid of him as a grown man. 

He did play well in a limited role against Van.  Some on here think he was more important than TT.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : I agree, Crowls, that there is a difference between them.  I would still sooner lump Thornton in with Jody Shelley before I'd lump him together with Paille and Campbell. Posted by Not-A-Shot

Jody Shelley you need a better example 8 goals since 2007. Shawn Thornton 10 goals last season, Daniel Paille 6 goals last season. Thornton will be in the stands more than not for the development of young Bruins but he out classes Shelley all day long and twice on Sunday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,
    Not to argue but Thorton's total's prior to last season were 15 goals in 7 yrs.  I highly doubt Thorton will ever hit double's in goals again.  He had 1 the previous year.  Carcillo is a clown and has hit 12 and 13 goals.  But he is still a clown. 
    I would credit Thortons production with Marchand.  His numbers dropped when Brad left him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : How many fights was Thorton in the playoffs?  How many?  How many Gordie Howe hat tricks did he get? No one said fighting is a bad thing but if he has no dance partner what is the point.  The league is slowly getting rid of these types of players.  And people who keep saying "must have never played hockey" need to give it a rest.  I have at a high level but I don't need to give my resume out on here.  Its opinion based not on where we have played.  I have fought some really tough customers in my day as well(Bonvie, Langdon, W. Brookbank) .  I played against Shelley when he played hockey for Dalhousie University and he was the worst player on the ice most nights.  CIS hockey is based on skill, not fighting and he stood out badly.  Let's leave our own hockey experience outta these debates and stick to opinions. Thorton is good in his role when the other teams dress their guys.  As I have pointed out, he didn't save Savy, Bergie, Horton from concusions by his presence.  Teams arent affraid of him and love when he is on the ice.  If you arent a fighter he won't fight you.  so why would you be affraid of him as a grown man.  He did play well in a limited role against Van.  Some on here think he was more important than TT.
    Posted by shuperman

Now im not foolsih enough to say he was better then TT. But thorton had a role and he did a fantastic job at it and certainly to my recolection never looked out of place with that role and it was needed for the bruins to win IMO.

Ya cant ask how many fights he had.. thats like asking how many saves did tuuka have( Tuuka would have made saves if he had to i hope ). Its about presence, no one wanted to fight him,especialy vancouver and montreal and i think we can both agree he would have been pretty eager for someone on either of them teams to want to dance.

I dont disagree with you that there are some games he just isnt needed in the lineup. Most any western conference game, other then dallas so it seems.

But ide have him in my lineup for any eastern conference game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Oilers sign Ben Eager....  a Thornton-like player....

and that's probably why they didn't re-sign Stortini....

Sections
Shortcuts