Skating Clowns for Sale!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!:
    [QUOTE]You guys are crazy. My guess here again is that most of you never played hockey.
    Posted by puckhog9966[/QUOTE]
    The mark of a poster with nothing to say: "If you don't agree with my point of view it's because you must not have played hockey."

Not many people here have had any experience with hockey at any level above high school. Considering we're talking about the NHL, that means that vast majority of us haven't "played hockey" at least in the real we're discussing, which is as vastly different from HS hockey as Neptune is from Earth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i am late in reading this thread, so I've only read thru the first column, and would like to add my two cents. The Canucks, at least some of them, started to bang and hit, so Claude brought in Thornton, and the impact was beneficial in the 3rd game in Boston where the crowd loves Thorny. Watching Thornton for the rest of the series indicated why his skills are less than desireable, and totally unused. Thorny's a great character, but the Bruins have emerged as a solid hockey team that needs scoring[ not Thorny's assett]; they need speed [Thorny skates in a straight line, and almost falls if he has to turn] ; Passing [ not one of Thorny's skills] ; Checking [ again, not one of Thorny's skills as he misses more than he hits]  hockey smarts { Thorny and Boychuck are on the low end of this vital skill] Youth [ Thorny is 33, Caron is 20]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Oilers sign Ben Eager....  a Thornton-like player.... and that's probably why they didn't re-sign Stortini....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

I disagree. If you took all fighting out of the game there is a slim chance that Thornton could stick with a team in the NHL. Eager would have no shot and would be lucky to get minutes in the AHL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'm sorry; but Trevor Gillies is a clown; Matt Cooke is a clown; Dan Carcillo is a clown! Shawn Thornton is FAR from any of these IDIOTS! When has Shawn's antics hurt this hockey club? When was the last time Shawn Thornton got a suspension? When was the last time Shawn Thornton said something stupid to the media? When has Shawn Thorton EVER put himself above the TEAM! NAS; Shupe & anyone else on here who's putting Thorts in the same catagory as the above's I mentioned? EVEN YOU'RE GD HEREO TORRES SHUPE has been more of a FREAKIN CLOWN!! And you come on here & bash Thorts!!! The guy was put in the Ducks lineup for a reason & he was put into the B's lineup for a reason! BOTH teams where he's won a cup! Thorts isn't a great hockey player; however he doesn't deserve to called a skating clown & those that call him that; are acting more of ONE than Thorts even thought of being!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!:[QUOTE]San, Not to argue but Thorton's total's prior to last season were 15 goals in 7 yrs.  I highly doubt Thorton will ever hit double's in goals again.  He had 1 the previous year.  Carcillo is a clown and has hit 12 and 13 goals.  But he is still a clown.  I would credit Thortons production with Marchand.  His numbers dropped when Brad left him.Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

That would be like saying Kevin Stevens just stuck his out then Lemieux passed the puck to him but I don't buy into that there is more to be done after the pass. Shelley will never even approach 4 goals in a season where as Thornton almost scored a hat trick this past season.

I still say Thornton should only play about 55 games this year to get the kids some TOI and I also say NAS needs a better example than Shelley. Carcillo was never mentioned by me you're heading back to not reading posts again please concentrate if you want to play along.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

I miss three weeks tending to family matters and this has to be my first post..?
    Shupe, you and I have covered this ground extensively, but that was prior to the playoffs.  I would like you and NAS to recite, and write, this fact:

Without Shawn Thornton's presence in the finals, the Bruins would NOT be the NHL's 2010-11 Stanley Cup Champions.

Please, both of you, chime in when ready. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I miss three weeks tending to family matters and this has to be my first post..? Shupe, you and I have covered this ground extensively, but that was prior to the playoffs.  I would like you and NAS to recite, and write, this fact: Without Shawn Thornton's presence in the finals, the Bruins would NOT be the NHL's 2010-11 Stanley Cup Champions. Please, both of you, chime in when ready. 
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]

I actually stated in this thread that he played well in a limited role.  But to say we wouldnt win the cup without him?  Laughable.  I would factor winning the cup on injuries to the Canucks more than I would ever put it on Thorton. 
    He has two cup rings which is almost criminal considering some of the greats that dont have one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky10. Show eyeinthesky10's posts

The Bruins Need Shawn Thornton.  <-Period

He may have 0 offensive skills, but he works harder than most.  His value is not just keeping the other goons in check, which is important.  He is a Team leader, loved by CJ, Brings the attitude that this team is accustomed to playing with, brings the identity of the team.  Lucic looks to Thornton as a teacher, Not of skill but of style and attitude.  Kampfer, lays someone out on his first NHL shift, attributes it to Thornton. Hitting is a huge part of Thornton's game, hits ferociously but not to injure, plays the game the right way.  Tries to separate the opposition from the puck and is well respected throughout the league.  

Thornton is a valuable member of the Bruins.  The Ducks knew his value, the Bruins management recognizes it, if you can't appreciate his 8 minutes of hockey per game then watch the Habs.  

Oh yea, and two cups

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : That would be like saying Kevin Stevens just stuck his out then Lemieux passed the puck to him but I don't buy into that there is more to be done after the pass. Shelley will never even approach 4 goals in a season where as Thornton almost scored a hat trick this past season. I still say Thornton should only play about 55 games this year to get the kids some TOI and I also say NAS needs a better example than Shelley. Carcillo was never mentioned by me you're heading back to not reading posts again please concentrate if you want to play along.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    I read your post and agree with you on the 55 games.   I think we all agree spot duty is the best role.  Well not all but some.  I mentioned Carcillo as a comparison in place of Shelley. 
    Thorton had a very fortunate year was my point in regards to his goal totals.  he had 1 the previous year.  Will likely get 5-6 next year.  If he hits 10+ goals I will get a Thorton tshirt. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the Oilers just replaced "skating clown" Stortini with another, Darcy Hordichuk....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry; but Trevor Gillies is a clown; Matt Cooke is a clown; Dan Carcillo is a clown! Shawn Thornton is FAR from any of these IDIOTS! When has Shawn's antics hurt this hockey club? When was the last time Shawn Thornton got a suspension? When was the last time Shawn Thornton said something stupid to the media? When has Shawn Thorton EVER put himself above the TEAM! NAS; Shupe & anyone else on here who's putting Thorts in the same catagory as the above's I mentioned? EVEN YOU'RE GD HEREO TORRES SHUPE has been more of a FREAKIN CLOWN!! And you come on here & bash Thorts!!! The guy was put in the Ducks lineup for a reason & he was put into the B's lineup for a reason! BOTH teams where he's won a cup! Thorts isn't a great hockey player; however he doesn't deserve to called a skating clown & those that call him that; are acting more of ONE than Thorts even thought of being!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Good post.  Stop yelling.  Torres just signed for 1.75.  Think he is more than a clown. 
    We all have our opinions on players.  I think Thorton is a decent cheer leader and a terrible hockey player.  I read what players say about him and said he is the best of the skating clown variety. 
    Since you are naming guys who are clowns.  What is Thorton than?  Is he a hockey player or is he in the league to fight?  Go back in time and look at the real Thorton.  Fighter all the way through.  What role did he have with the Ducks?  How many games did he get in? avg ice time? any points?  any influence other than hogging all the gatorade and oranges in the dressing room?

I don't wanna fight anymore.  Ryder is gone and I am happy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Really, Shupe?  Laughable?  Thornton sits out Game 3 in Boston and Seguin plays...what happens then?  Bruins win that game...and the series?  You believe that in your heart?

I agree a skating clown would not impact the series so positively for the Bruins.
    Hence, Shawn Thornton: NOT a skating clown.

Take off the blinders.  Also, are you and NAS the same person?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Really, Shupe?  Laughable?  Thornton sits out Game 3 in Boston and Seguin plays...what happens then?  Bruins win that game...and the series?  You believe that in your heart? I agree a skating clown would not impact the series so positively for the Bruins. Hence, Shawn Thornton: NOT a skating clown. Take off the blinders.  Also, are you and NAS the same person?
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]

Wes- they won in a blow out.  I don't remember him lighting the lamp at all.  I don't remember him doing much of anything.  skate up and down the ice and dont get scored on.  How the heck does that equal a blow out win?
    What happens if Thorton is in against Tbay in game 2?  Does he get 4 pts in a period?  Do we even make the finals?  I would say Seguins game 2 is more important and had more impact then all the games Thorton has played in his career.  Seguin won a game for us.  Thorton did not. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I miss three weeks tending to family matters and this has to be my first post..? Shupe, you and I have covered this ground extensively, but that was prior to the playoffs.  I would like you and NAS to recite, and write, this fact: Without Shawn Thornton's presence in the finals, the Bruins would NOT be the NHL's 2010-11 Stanley Cup Champions. Please, both of you, chime in when ready. 
    Posted by wesman[/QUOTE]
    The same can be said of every Bruin that played in the finals.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Good post.  Stop yelling.  Torres just signed for 1.75.  Think he is more than a clown.  We all have our opinions on players.  I think Thorton is a decent cheer leader and a terrible hockey player.  I read what players say about him and said he is the best of the skating clown variety.  Since you are naming guys who are clowns.  What is Thorton than?  Is he a hockey player or is he in the league to fight?  Go back in time and look at the real Thorton.  Fighter all the way through.  What role did he have with the Ducks?  How many games did he get in? avg ice time? any points?  any influence other than hogging all the gatorade and oranges in the dressing room? I don't wanna fight anymore.  Ryder is gone and I am happy!
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Yes; but Torres also got suspended for 4 games for a cheapshot! What teammate actually said "he is the best of the skating clown variety." Do you have a link to that? I think Thort's is a borderline hockey player who can fight & the ultimate team guy! Thorts may have been just a fighter in Chicago & Anaheim; but take a look at John Wensink. What was he? I think Thorts probably saw a great opportunity in Boston & found & showed a level he never showed before. The guy deserves to be in the lineup! Should he be out there in the last 10 min of a 1 goal game? NO!

However; I think he certainly kept the Canucks a little more honest & it allowed the B's to be brash enough to be the ones that pushed the limits! Vancouver knew they could only push back so much; because if they pushed further they would've had their heads handed to them & they showed they lacked that courage to challenge the B's in that department of the game. And Thorts was one of the reasons the Canucks realized this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : If he hits 10+ goals I will get a Thorton tshirt. Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Nice Shup I'll hold you to that. Bought from the skating clown store.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

We have guys on our roster who have been suspended as well. 
    I re-read and it should have clarified that I believe he is the best of the skating clowns. 
    What makes him the ultimate team guy?  How do you know this.  I see him cheer leading a lot.  Am I the best team guy then?  He is a terrible hockey player who is here b/c he can fight.  If fighting were taken out of hockey he would be the 1st on our team to be cut. 
    JW played in a different era.  Back then just about everyone could take care of themself. 

How does Thorton dictate how a team pushes back in hockey?  This is what often amazes me.  Thorton plays by the code and only fights other Clowns.  Kesler isnt fighting him.  He knows it, Thorton knows it. 

You are more than welcome to cheer him on, but please don't tell me he is a good hockey player. He is terrible.  And I will predict he goes back to his 4-6 goal pace.  Fight a bunch of staged fights and provide ultimate leadership(wink).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

betteman wants to lose the fighting too.
    His reception ANYWHERE is nothing but boos.

p.s. enough with the boners for players on other teams.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

More like skating clowns for hire

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

and the Biggest clown of them all, Daniel Carcillo got a contract with the Hawks.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]We have guys on our roster who have been suspended as well.  I re-read and it should have clarified that I believe he is the best of the skating clowns.  What makes him the ultimate team guy?  How do you know this.  I see him cheer leading a lot.  Am I the best team guy then?  He is a terrible hockey player who is here b/c he can fight.  If fighting were taken out of hockey he would be the 1st on our team to be cut.  JW played in a different era.  Back then just about everyone could take care of themself.  How does Thorton dictate how a team pushes back in hockey?  This is what often amazes me.  Thorton plays by the code and only fights other Clowns.  Kesler isnt fighting him.  He knows it, Thorton knows it.  You are more than welcome to cheer him on, but please don't tell me he is a good hockey player. He is terrible.  And I will predict he goes back to his 4-6 goal pace.  Fight a bunch of staged fights and provide ultimate leadership(wink).
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute! Your're asking a question within a questonhere Shupe? i quoted you saying YOU READ where PLAYERS! said a certain thing about Thornton? NOW
     I Know my quote is a lot easier to find indivivuals saying great things about Thorts! I know that & you know that! However; where are your quotes? Does he fight staged fights? Sure he does! Why wouldn't he? Back then just about everyone could take care of themselves? Really? jean Reatelle took care of himself? Don Marcotte took care of himself? Who you trying to kid here? Me; or yourself here? Rick Middleton fought Darryl Sittler! Did he take care of himself too! So lets go through the "clowns that Thorts has fought! You would want one of the other Bruins who can handle their own against these guys anywhere from  1-6 times a yr? Derek Boogaard (RIP) Eric Godard; Darcy Hordichuk;Mike Rupp;Jody Shelly & Eric Boulton! The list goes on & on! The list shows that there's plenty of room for other teams to keep & have these players. My God Man even Ben Eager got a 2 yr deal! Ya know you keep saying your were a shut down D-man! Obviously; you lost your affect against a team that sent their so called "policeman" out to straighten you out! You shriveled up like a dry leaf & blew away! I say this becauase as a goalie! I've seen your type & they all talked the tough game until it was their time to to step up & be a man! Then that's when when they would hide! Hell I even had a few hide behind me! How sad is that!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nite,

What happened before the instigator is competely different.  Comparing the eras is fool's work.

Even comparing 10 years ago to today is fools work.

Stick with the present. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]betteman wants to lose the fighting too. His reception ANYWHERE is nothing but boos. p.s. enough with the boners for players on other teams.
    Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]

Which also is another STUPID THING! Without the guy The NHL WOULDN"T BE INCREASING REVENUE EVERY FREAKING YR! AND instead of 7 Canadian teams we'd have 3!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Nite, What happened before the instigator is competely different.  Comparing the eras is fool's work. Even comparing 10 years ago to today is fools work. Stick with the present. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

See my response to shupe above! Your also were a d-man right?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : See my response to shupe above! Your also were a d-man right?
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I played center.  I was at the point on the powerplay often, but I never played D.

Sections
Shortcuts