Skating Clowns for Sale!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!

In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : I played center.  I was at the point on the powerplay often, but I never played D.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Well; even better. Did you ever have a predictament where You just wished you weren't in on the ice? I find it hard to believe that anyone who played a game of hockey above the level of highschool where a fighting major got you suspended. That you were so happy to have someone have your back! The only way I can see ANYONE having an issue with someone who can have a role of "keeping the peace" is if they were cut because they didn't have it in them to play that role! ANYBODY who's the age of 35 & above who's watched the ROLE these players have & have a negative output on them is either 1) An American from the South who's a member of the anti-violence commitee. 2) A total mommy's boy & gets upset over a broken nail 3) had their butt handed to them in a hockey fight & had their image ripped to shreds! I cannot see ANY OTHER reason for a Bruins fan to have ANYTHING AGAINST a guy like Shawn Thornton!  And it makes it worst for me to see a MARITIMER having that attitude! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Wait a minute! Your're asking a question within a questonhere Shupe? i quoted you saying YOU READ where PLAYERS! said a certain thing about Thornton? NOW  I Know my quote is a lot easier to find indivivuals saying great things about Thorts! I know that & you know that! However; where are your quotes? Does he fight staged fights? Sure he does! Why wouldn't he? Back then just about everyone could take care of themselves? Really? jean Reatelle took care of himself? Don Marcotte took care of himself? Who you trying to kid here? Me; or yourself here? Rick Middleton fought Darryl Sittler! Did he take care of himself too! So lets go through the "clowns that Thorts has fought! You would want one of the other Bruins who can handle their own against these guys anywhere from  1-6 times a yr? Derek Boogaard (RIP) Eric Godard; Darcy Hordichuk;Mike Rupp;Jody Shelly & Eric Boulton! The list goes on & on! The list shows that there's plenty of room for other teams to keep & have these players. My God Man even Ben Eager got a 2 yr deal! Ya know you keep saying your were a shut down D-man! Obviously; you lost your affect against a team that sent their so called "policeman" out to straighten you out! You shriveled up like a dry leaf & blew away! I say this becauase as a goalie! I've seen your type & they all talked the tough game until it was their time to to step up & be a man! Then that's when when they would hide! Hell I even had a few hide behind me! How sad is that!!!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

nite,
    I am 6'4 and 240lbs.  I played maritime junior(which was a gong show) where I fought Langdon and Bonvie(I lost but still was there standing at the end).  I then played senior hockey at 18 yrs of age and tangled with the Beaton family(who are a tough family who played all over the OHL as fighters), I then played University hockey(where fighting would get you suspended), I then played in the CHL and the best known fighter in the league at that time was Wade Brookbank who I also fought(and lost-but I did cut him so it looked good on my side- coming to the aid of my loud mouth goalie).  So I have thrown down with some NHL heavy weights.  Have you?  A goalie is a position where everyone comes to your aid.  How can you of all people stand in here and say anything about enforcers or about me as a player when you have never seen me play.  Goalies never fight their own battles. 
    Anyway, not sure why you decided to go personal but I wasnt skilled enough to be a top pairing dman so I did whatever I could to play...which meant the occasional fight, good PK guy and play hard nosed physical hockey, and most important my teams won championships.   

Back to Thorton.  of all his fights how many weren't staged?  Heat of the moment hockey fights I am all for.  Two guys mad and decide to throw down.  These guys when they fight arent mad.  Its their job to create some energy.  The code of a fighter has numerous chapters.  Thorton had one decent offensive year with 10 goals.  He had 1 goal the previous year.  I have stated my opinion and you yours.  I have no issue with him getting 50 games when we play division rivals or guys with Clowns.  I just don't believe he is needed.  Most teams that have these so called clowns only dress them when the other team has their clown in.  They look at the other teams roster and fire them in if they see the other coach has one penciled in.  I also stated that Thorton had a decent role in the finals.  But I dont think he won any games for us.  Montreal had no clown, Philly did(Thorton didnt fight), Tampa had no clowns, Van had no clowns, lots of rats but no clowns. 

Try and stay in the argument/debate without bringing personal stuff in.  It really looks stupid when you do and that you are grasping.  I respect and enjoy your posts.  Don't turn into a blogger clown. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Well; even better. Did you ever have a predictament where You just wished you weren't in on the ice? I find it hard to believe that anyone who played a game of hockey above the level of highschool where a fighting major got you suspended. That you were so happy to have someone have your back! The only way I can see ANYONE having an issue with someone who can have a role of "keeping the peace" is if they were cut because they didn't have it in them to play that role! ANYBODY who's the age of 35 & above who's watched the ROLE these players have & have a negative output on them is either 1) An American from the South who's a member of the anti-violence commitee. 2) A total mommy's boy & gets upset over a broken nail 3) had their butt handed to them in a hockey fight & had their image ripped to shreds! I cannot see ANY OTHER reason for a Bruins fan to have ANYTHING AGAINST a guy like Shawn Thornton!  And it makes it worst for me to see a MARITIMER having that attitude! 

Since this was directed at me.

1.  Maritime born and raised(moved around b/c my dad was in the military.  And just for the record I would love to know how many fights you have been in during the course of your life.  I probably have been in more fights with drunks in the last 6 months than you have been in your life.  Life as a policeman(in real life) gets me in some of those and I don't shrivel up when there are no refs involved. 
    2.  I will always be a momma's boy, my nails are cut short. 
    3.  I have had my behind fed to me.  You never win all your fights.  I would say I won 25%, lost 25% and a draw 50%.  Whats your record? 

For the last time.  I have nothing personal against Thorton.  I have read he is an excellent leader from what some of the young players have said.  So since I am not in the room I will go by their word.  I just believe this team has enough team toughness to survice and protect each other without having Thorton in the lineup.  Thorton isnt a very good hockey player, but he has enough skill to play the role of clown and get some ice time as well. 
    No I don't want Lucic/Horton/Chara dropping the mits with Super heavy weights.  But on the occasion I have no issue with Chara standing in there to address that if one of those meatheads took liberties on one of our guys.  (ie Neil/Koci). 

Are we done yet?  Just wondering? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Well; even better. Did you ever have a predictament where You just wished you weren't in on the ice? I find it hard to believe that anyone who played a game of hockey above the level of highschool where a fighting major got you suspended. That you were so happy to have someone have your back! The only way I can see ANYONE having an issue with someone who can have a role of "keeping the peace" is if they were cut because they didn't have it in them to play that role! ANYBODY who's the age of 35 & above who's watched the ROLE these players have & have a negative output on them is either 1) An American from the South who's a member of the anti-violence commitee. 2) A total mommy's boy & gets upset over a broken nail 3) had their butt handed to them in a hockey fight & had their image ripped to shreds! I cannot see ANY OTHER reason for a Bruins fan to have ANYTHING AGAINST a guy like Shawn Thornton!  And it makes it worst for me to see a MARITIMER having that attitude! 

You need to get in your Delorian and come back to 2011.  Skating Clowns don't keep the peace.  The Instigator Rule keeps the peace.  I'm all for fighting in hockey, but am against hockey games stopping because two animals are earning their paycheck.

I'm no Maritimer.  I was born at Mass General, grew up in Dorchester and now I live just outside of the city.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Since this was directed at me. 1.  Maritime born and raised(moved around b/c my dad was in the military.  And just for the record I would love to know how many fights you have been in during the course of your life.  I probably have been in more fights with drunks in the last 6 months than you have been in your life.  Life as a policeman(in real life) gets me in some of those and I don't shrivel up when there are no refs involved.  2.  I will always be a momma's boy, my nails are cut short.  3.  I have had my behind fed to me.  You never win all your fights.  I would say I won 25%, lost 25% and a draw 50%.  Whats your record?  For the last time.  I have nothing personal against Thorton.  I have read he is an excellent leader from what some of the young players have said.  So since I am not in the room I will go by their word.  I just believe this team has enough team toughness to survice and protect each other without having Thorton in the lineup.  Thorton isnt a very good hockey player, but he has enough skill to play the role of clown and get some ice time as well.  No I don't want Lucic/Horton/Chara dropping the mits with Super heavy weights.  But on the occasion I have no issue with Chara standing in there to address that if one of those meatheads took liberties on one of our guys.  (ie Neil/Koci).  Are we done yet?  Just wondering? 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    LOL! Shupe? Just busting your chops dude! Aren't Maritimers born to torment? Dez has done this to me in the past & I just laughed. Sorry; you took offence. I will say as a goalie I never had a problem throwing down! I actually got into a scrap with a Danny Cormier from somewhere in Northern NB. He jumped all over the place from Dalhousie; Cambellton & Bathurst. He was a boxer as well. I'm 5 8" 185. He was 6 2' 210-220 depending on what part of the season it was. Anyway; he hit me with so many rights I begged for a left. His first two shots caught me above both eyes & split me wide open & with the blood puring out I couldn't see & kept feeding me until someone jumped him. 8 stitches on my right & 4 on my left. The guys had a great laugh when I showed up at practice with two big white bandages.
    I just think that there is place for Thorts on the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : You need to get in your Delorian and come back to 2011.  Skating Clowns don't keep the peace.  The Instigator Rule keeps the peace.  I'm all for fighting in hockey, but am against hockey games stopping because two animals are earning their paycheck. I'm no Maritimer.  I was born at Mass General, grew up in Dorchester and now I live just outside of the city.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Just busting your chops too NAS! And the Maritime slap was for Shuper!! lol Where's that other Maritime pansy DeZ!! Another wimp defensemen from St.John!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : LOL! Shupe? Just busting your chops dude! Aren't Maritimers born to torment? Dez has done this to me in the past & I just laughed. Sorry; you took offence. I will say as a goalie I never had a problem throwing down! I actually got into a scrap with a Danny Cormier from somewhere in Northern NB. He jumped all over the place from Dalhousie; Cambellton & Bathurst. He was a boxer as well. I'm 5 8" 185. He was 6 2' 210-220 depending on what part of the season it was. Anyway; he hit me with so many rights I begged for a left. His first two shots caught me above both eyes & split me wide open & with the blood puring out I couldn't see & kept feeding me until someone jumped him. 8 stitches on my right & 4 on my left. The guys had a great laugh when I showed up at practice with two big white bandages. I just think that there is place for Thorts on the team.

No worries, you are a goalie and they are weird to start with.  And I have no problem with you busting my chops.  But you were yelling at me in CAPS above so I didnt know if we were blog fighting or not.

All is good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : No worries, you are a goalie and they are weird to start with.  And I have no problem with you busting my chops.  But you were yelling at me in CAPS above so I didnt know if we were blog fighting or not. All is good.

Yea; I know I'm very animated so if we were in person you'd be able to see how I mess around & we'd end up doing the Maritime banter of cursing each other out which would entail telling each other to go do the physically impossible! LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Yea; I know I'm very animated so if we were in person you'd be able to see how I mess around & we'd end up doing the Maritime banter of cursing each other out which would entail telling each other to go do the physically impossible! LOL

Haha...so true.  F-bombs in each sentence

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Haha...so true.  F-bombs in each sentence

My boss at work counted 7 from me in 12 seconds! I said Dam; I think I can do 12 in 7 seconds! I hate when I under achieve!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Agreed.  Well put.  I would add that Thornton actually upped his role as an actual "player" on that 4th line.  He kept his "enforcer' role more in check this year.  The Soup line clicked and was an unsung hero in the Finals. Thornton went the extra 100% to actually forecheck and hustle and fire shots on net this year; i think CJ told him to cut down on the "Skating Clown' act, and he did.  Because he really CAN be more than that.  We saw that this year.  I'll take a guy like that on my team for $1M any day.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    Me Too I!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigChara. Show BigChara's posts

I like Thornton. He did make a difference in the finals.

Shupe - you do sound pretty tough. I wouldn't want to fight you. Fighting drunks as part of your job? That is a tough way to make a living. You have my respect, although I don't see the value in Torres the way you do, LOL!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I like Thornton. He did make a difference in the finals. Shupe - you do sound pretty tough. I wouldn't want to fight you. Fighting drunks as part of your job? That is a tough way to make a living. You have my respect, although I don't see the value in Torres the way you do, LOL!
    Posted by BigChara[/QUOTE]

All part of a police life and working near two crazy reserves.  The older I get the less appeal it has.  The old hockey days were fun.  I wasn't much of a fighter.  But when I had to, I would.  I still have all my teeth.
    And for a million bucks he is worth that for sure.  I have no issue if they sign him for another year.  I just don't have the jones on for him like others and I am not a big fan of the staged fights.
    I always liked Torres.  Nuff said

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Shawn Thornton separated the Bruins from the Canucks. Why? He completely neutralized Raffi Torres.

Boston was able to play "big" and wear down the Canucks before Vancouver could do the same to our guys. That's why we won and Thornton had a huge part to play in it.

Torres was running around like a nutjob in games 1-3. He was ramming our D-men, taking late shots, the works. He was doing what Z and Seids and the rest of the team needed to do to the Sedins, Bieksa, Ehrhoff, et al.

Games 4-7: Horton is out; Thornton's in. Torres disappears for the rest of the series. Not a peep: no big hits, no after the whistle scrums, nothing. And you know what? The trade -- Horton for Thornton -- actually made sense, because when we were winning, we were winning huge and Horton would not have been the difference and when we lost, we had absolutely zero offence so it was doubtful our sniper would have been the difference there either. In that case, why not trade a scorer in for a guy who makes the other team at least more passive?

I give credit to Thornton for that. With Torres calm and the Bruins amped up (thanks to the taunting by Burrows and Lapierre, the win it for Horty attitude, and a chance to win the Cup), the rest of the Canucks "tough guys" shrank. No more runs against our d-men -- even Kaberle could look impressive -- Bergeron could play his game, Marchand could run amuck, Higgins is looking over his shoulder, Z and Seids simply have to shutdown the first line for the Bruins to win.

The end result was that the B's kept pounding away and the Canucks had nothing to respond with. Let's not kid ourselves, the tougher, grittier team with more heart won this series, not the team with more skill. Thornton up-ed the team's average in all of those categories.

He was huge for us and I'll bet he'll be one of our better players for the first half of next year too (which other Bruin knows what it's like to return to hockey after winning the Cup?).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think the differene between winning and losing was more than Raffi Torres.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skating Clowns for Sale! : Just busting your chops too NAS! And the Maritime slap was for Shuper!! lol Where's that other Maritime pansy DeZ!! Another wimp defensemen from St.John!
    I've been watching and laughing from afar. Since the Cup win, I've been less inclined to battle anyone about anything. I'm just too damn happy. For the record, I've been beaten up alot. I've had teammates that said I won once though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

They just looked better after the second period of game 3. The HNIC guys said something about Chara giving a speech in the 1st Intermission. Maguire gave alot of credit to Thornton . The 4th line looked scary good- lots of energy especially in Boston. Did the whole team seem to player bigger and tougher with Thornton in the lineup? Maybe it was a combination of everything,but I think that Thornton was just that little bit of an edge more that the Bruins needed.It was just the difference between the Bruins and The Bruins. They were bolder all around. The term skating clown  just seems demeaning to me. I'm not saying he needs more TOI or anything like that but clown is what you call the other team's players. Where were the Canucks 4th line? Who were the Canucks 4th line? Like I said: everyone seemed to do there jobs (hitting,scoring,agitating,whatever) just a little better after the first period of game 3- He was part of that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Chara played better because Thornton was on the bench with pom poms.  Thomas made better saves because Thornton was on the bench with pom poms.  Marchand burned the entire Vancouver club and fed Bergeron because Thornton was on the bench with pom poms.

Bergeron scored that short handed goal because the Vancouver players were afraid of Shawn Thornton.

For all of those who believe that Shawn Thornton's insertion into the lineup is the reason the Bruins won the Cup, I have a Wiki page for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation