Skinner vs. Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogojuicer. Show gogojuicer's posts

Skinner vs. Seguin

Looking at jeff skinner out there today, i couldn't help but wonder what a great job the hurricane coaching staff is doing with him. He gets top line time and doesn't seem to get "punished" for making rookie mistakes. I wish the bruins would give seguin the same treatment instead of leaving him to rot on the fourth line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Re: Skinner vs. Seguin

Paul Maurice is a better coach than CJ. Thats the bottom line. He knows how to get the best out of Skinner

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogojuicer. Show gogojuicer's posts

In Response to Re: Skinner vs. Seguin:
    [QUOTE]I'm really happy that the Bruins have a team where they don't need to put a rookie on the first line.
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]
    I agree with what you're saying but seguin is no ordinary rookie.I also don't expect him to be first line but better than a line with Thornton and Paille.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I don't like how CJ is handling Seguin's development at all.  I am very glad that we have enough talent on this team where he doesn't have to play on the 1st line, but moving him from line to line, game after game makes zero sense.  In the last four games he has played three different positions with three different lines.  He needs some level of stability and I really liked him playing on the left side of Bergy and Rex.

I was at the B's recent game down here in Florida and Seguin is bigger and faster then I thought...he is however extremely tentative on the ice.  He doesn't look aloof or confused, he just seems hesitant.  He reminds me of a sprinter waiting for the gun.  I truly believe part of this comes from his inconsistency when it comes to his line mates.  Seguin needs ice time...time with the puck on his stick....and shots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

This is also a team that has recently had some trouble scoring....Seguin's development is not only important for the future of this franchise but for any true hopes of a deep playoff run this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I was at the game also and i could not agree more with you. CJ is starting to get on my nerves more and more by the day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Skinner and Seguin played on the same line in the GTHL in a few years back. They tore up the league. They have history together. They push each other. They are both talented and can make things happen.

Skinner is in a better situation because the Hurricane forward corps is not as deep as the Bruins, so he gets more ice time and is proving his worth.

What does this mean? When Seguin gets his minutes he'll do just as well or better than Skinner. Why? Because Seguin is a better all-round player; better passer, shooter, puck-handler and can carry a team on his back.

All the best to Skinner. Seguin won't be far behind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Byron Bitz played on the 1st line
    Tyler Seguin has been moved to the 4th line

Does anybody honsetly believe that anybody other than this coach would have made both of those decisions??? It's sad how obvious this has been for a long while now -

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Owen Nolan back in the day played on the 4th line as well in Quebec.  He fought everyone that would fight him.  Seguin doesnt have that asset.  I truly believe that if they arent going to play him at least 10+ minutes a game he should go back to Junior. 
    My suggestion is simple. Trade Wheeler or Ryder and give Seguin legit playing time.  I was prepared to see Seguin go back to juniors.  I believe he should at least be on the 3rd line. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Where does all the diametrically opposing play style come from?  One week they look like steamrollers on ice, the next, standing in concrete.  I'm still trying to find something good about that game today, but i'm hard-pressed too.

These guys just don't want to play for CJ.  It's either that or they need better leadership in the lockerroom.  They just quit today.

And if I didn't just buy a 42" 1080p HDTV, I'd be heading down to Comcast for a new remote tomorrow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Where does all the diametrically opposing play style come from?  One week they look like steamrollers on ice, the next, standing in concrete.  I'm still trying to find something good about that game today, but i'm hard-pressed too. These guys just don't want to play for CJ.  It's either that or they need better leadership in the lockerroom.  They just quit today. And if I didn't just buy a 42" 1080p HDTV, I'd be heading down to Comcast for a new remote tomorrow.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Hope you got a dvr so you don't miss the commercials during the game.  If the Bs play like today you won't want to miss the ads.  Management must like the home record! Heh.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Is everyone saying this if Ward doesn't absolutely rob Seguin of a goal today? 

But nevertheless, I agree.  Tyler should NOT be on the 4th line.  I hope they move him to 2nd or 3rd line wing when Savard comes back. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

Seguin is likely hesitant because he's scared to death to make a mistake and end up on the fourth line, which ends up happening anyway. You see Skinner out there and he looks like he's actually having fun. Imagine that. An 18 year old kid leading NHL rookies in points skating on a top line with Eric Staal. The horror! They should be keeping him on a tight leash and forcing him to play within a strict system, right? Maybe in the long run it will be good for Seguin, but it bugs me seeing a kid playing scared. Look what happened with Stamkos. Melrose was convinced he wasn't ready to play in the NHL, but once he was let loose and allowed to make mistakes and learn and play instinctive hockey, he cranked it up. I think the entire Bruins team is wound too tight, and Seguin is probably feeling it the most.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin is likely hesitant because he's scared to death to make a mistake and end up on the fourth line, which ends up happening anyway. You see Skinner out there and he looks like he's actually having fun. Imagine that. An 18 year old kid leading NHL rookies in points skating on a top line with Eric Staal. The horror! They should be keeping him on a tight leash and forcing him to play within a strict system, right? Maybe in the long run it will be good for Seguin, but it bugs me seeing a kid playing scared. Look what happened with Stamkos. Melrose was convinced he wasn't ready to play in the NHL, but once he was let loose and allowed to make mistakes and learn and play instinctive hockey, he cranked it up. I think the entire Bruins team is wound too tight, and Seguin is probably feeling it the most.
    Posted by bear-in-the-woods[/QUOTE]

Seems to me like its the same old same old, rookies under the microscope and vets get a pass.  Not this year, but last year Ryder seemed like he got a get out of jail ticket.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I completely agree with bear-in-the-woods...and think the Melrose/Stamkos example could be an accurate one.  Seguin needs the freedom to experiment, to see what works for him in game situations with out the fear of fourth line duties.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Maurice may be a good coach, but Carolina is a pretty bad team that is very thin up front.  That is the main reason Skinner is playing so much.  The Bruins are deeper and therefore Seguin plays less.  Not really something to complain about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Clod wants to bore the other team to sleep. Seguin is a #2 pick and an OFFENSIVE player!!! To put him on the 4th line on a team that can barely score shows how clueless he is. But thats's Clod....the guy that put Byron Bitz and PJ Axelsson on the 1st line and the PP and ran Phil Kessel out of town because he didn't spend three hours in the weight room.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

How is Carolina up thin? They got Staal, Cole, Skinner, Samsonov, Jokinen, Larose. I mean other than Staal and Skinner these other guys will not put up more than 60 points but each them will put up 40 points. They are a pesky bunch that can skate well, shifty and know how to get 2nd and 3rd opportunities in the offensive end (something the Bruins are hurting to do)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]How is Carolina up thin? They got Staal, Cole, Skinner, Samsonov, Jokinen, Larose. I mean other than Staal and Skinner these other guys will not put up more than 60 points but each them will put up 40 points. They are a pesky bunch that can skate well, shifty and know how to get 2nd and 3rd opportunities in the offensive end (something the Bruins are hurting to do)
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

Seriously?  Cole, Larose, and Samsonov don't crack the top six on most NHL teams.  The Canes have one dangerous line and a bunch of checking line types or real steaky one-dimensional guys like Samsonov.

The number one PP line is Staal with Jokinen and Skinner.  Seguin would be on that line too, if he played there.  But in Boston you have Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic,  Horton and Recchi to consider for your powerplay.  Therefore Seguin sees less ice time than Skinner.

It's been mentioned before that the Bruins are in a unique and enviable position of having top flight prospects breaking into the lineup WITHOUT going through rebuilding years.  That hurts Seguin a bit in the short term compared to Hall or Skinner because he isn't eating at the head of the table immediately as a rookie.

But it is good for the team.  No need to rush this guy, he'll be fine. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The thought that Seguin will be fine is more a testament to the player than Claude and his coaching staff. I know Caron was sick, but having Paille and Thornton on the wings is like having two boat anchors around your neck. Ok, it's only November; the Bruins have a Cap challenge, which Peter indicates he can solve; Savvy may not be ready for Sunday's game, so Wheeler will be back at center, and just maybe Claude will have Arneil/Seguin/Recchi as a line; Bergie will be with Lucic and Horton;Marchand/Campbell/Thornton; and Wheeler with Ryder and Paille. A little creativity might put McQuaid on defense and Hunwick on the wing with Paille sitting. Naw, Claude would never do that ???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

they should put seguin on a better line so he can score more goals he is not doing much on the 4th line right now.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Everyone raves about Stamkos and how is was so much better once he got more playing time.  Watching him last year he was a great scorer but not a great player.  He lost battles and was week defensively.  I saw him battle Bergeron one game and was consistently beat in all aspects of the game.  There is a reason Bergy was selected for Olympic duty and not Stamkos.  Seguin will eventually be a great scorer with a solid all-around game and respect for his older teamates and the grinders because he wasn't just handed everything.  If Seguin played more he would score more but the Bruins wouldn't necessarily win more.  When Savard is back, Seguin will be flying up the wing.  Claude is doing a fine job with him, just like he did with Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler, Tuukka, Kessel, Boychuck, Hunwick, and the new rookies Marchand and Caron whose careers that some people seem to think he destroys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks for the well-reasoned post OatesCam.  You should post here more often.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone raves about Stamkos and how is was so much better once he got more playing time.  Watching him last year he was a great scorer but not a great player.  He lost battles and was week defensively.  I saw him battle Bergeron one game and was consistently beat in all aspects of the game.  There is a reason Bergy was selected for Olympic duty and not Stamkos.  Seguin will eventually be a great scorer with a solid all-around game and respect for his older teamates and the grinders because he wasn't just handed everything.  If Seguin played more he would score more but the Bruins wouldn't necessarily win more.  When Savard is back, Seguin will be flying up the wing.  Claude is doing a fine job with him, just like he did with Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler, Tuukka, Kessel, Boychuck, Hunwick, and the new rookies Marchand and Caron whose careers that some people seem to think he destroys.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Good points OatesCam!

Seguin is getting substantial doses of what it takes to play a complete game in the NHL instead of being unleashed and possibly falling into bad habits.

In the meantime, the Bruins are still in the playoff hunt. Savard and Sturm are coming back and we still have not seen the best of Tyler Seguin, not even close. It's a long season and we should be alright in the spring, when it matters most.

Sections
Shortcuts