Sleepers vs. the Fanboy Solutions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sleepers vs. the Fanboy Solutions

Fact is, the Bruins are cycling years where they load up with years where they have to back off and hope to get more out of young players for Cap reasons.  Last year, they cycled up by signing Iginla's bonus-laden deal.  This year, they pay for it.

The "Fanboy Solution" to any roster issue is to name the best player who plays that position and who might conceivably, no matter how remote the chance, be available.  For example, Seidenberg goes down and the Fanboy Solution is trade for Yandle.  Iginla starts looking elsewhere and the Fanboy Solution is to explore another full-price RW UFA or trade for an established player with, like most established players, a mature contract to go with his mature game.  The Fanboy Solution rarely happens, and when it does, it rarely works out the way you'd hoped.

The Bruins go into the year with at least two vacancies up front and possibly three if Kelly is moved - as he almost certainly needs to be.  There are a number of permutations for how you can look at those vacancies.  Right now, 1st line RW is open, but there's a lot of speculation that Eriksson would move up leaving the vacancy at 3rd line RW.  4th line RW we know.  Here's a quick look at some sleeper candidates for the Bruins to fill those three vacancies.

1st L RW: Seth Griffith

What? - When you hear the Bruins talk about this spot, it's where they want a right shot finisher.  This is the guy the line looks to set up most often - Iginla took 40 more shots than Krejci, and 50+ more than Lucic.  Griffith is a righty RW who's main plus characteristic is he has a good, accurate, quick shot and knows how to get it off.  This is about the best fit for Griffith that he'll ever see....

It's a Sleeper Alright - Griffith isn't big, and there would obviously be questions about his ability to play against not only NHL D but first pairing guys.  He's not fast either, so he'd sort of fit on that line.  The biggest question is whether he has the board skills to cycle the way that line has when most successful.  It's a long shot, but it's intriguing to think about.

2nd line RW: Alex Khokhlachev (Ryan Spooner)

What? - Call this the Seguin option.  If the Bruins opt to keep the chemistry between Soderberg and Eriksson intact, it could be Reilly Smith who gets a shot in that 1st line spot.  He wouldn't be a bad fit, actually.  The Bruins could then use this spot to break in a rookie with a lot of offensive talent and speed the way they did with Seguin - meaning they'd also have to be prepared for his weaker board play.  Khokhlachev would benefit from playing with Bergeron and Bergeron would minimize the risk of a raw player.  You'd keep the productive Marchand Bergeron dynamic and add a kid who we know can score and who has a pretty good one on one game.  What better way to break him in?  (I added Spooner here because I don't know where else he'll get a chance. If he can play wing, maybe he can do the same things as I think Khokhlachev might.)

It's a Sleeper alright - Khokhlachev is still raw, though his first season in Providence is encouraging.  More importantly, it would likely mean a less productive season from Bergeron as he works to minimize the rookie's mistakes. And Khokhlachev is not Seguin, so tolerating his errors has less reward to balance out the risk.

3rd line RW: Craig Cunningham

What? - Again assuming Eriksson isn't moving up, Cunningham could be a perfect compliment to the two Swedes.  He's quick, older than the other prospects, and has the skills to be that "Alex Burrows" type player with the Swedes - clean up the garbage, shoot it when you get it, chase the puck hard.

It's a Sleeper Alright - Florek, Camara, Fraser would add more size to the line.  Cunningham's tiny.  He's also had precisely one call up since being drafted - 2 games, 4 shots, under 10min per game, not much else to show for it.

4th line RW: Who Cares?

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Re: Sleepers vs. the Fanboy Solutions

This year may be a slight closing of the proverbial "window". Sure, it's not about losing one of "the core" or about any of a few guys getting a year older. Its about this year perhaps being a "throw away" year due to the cap situation.They'll make the playoffs, no doubt. They may even win a round. To my eyes, the current Bruins roster is in no way shape or form built (maybe not even capable of being built) to make a run at the Cup.

If that's the case, then retool on the fly. Try your suggestions, if they don't work, so what. There is always next year, when the Cap goes up and the Bruins have another chance to make another  serious go at it. 2015-2016 the Cap stands (today) at $69,000,000 with $46+ million accounted for. With "only" DK and Soderberg as free agents and Dougie as a RFA, if you give them a combined $13 million that still leaves $10 million to gear up for another run.

Let the kids play. Let them play, let them play...

*Edit: If you include Savard's exception then you have $14 million to spend solely on FA's at the start of the 2015-2016 season.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think it may be a bit much to stick a baby B on the first line. To me it is either Eriksson or Smith to fight it out. Who doesn't make it will be on the second line slot.

Third line...yeah it is going to be  a dog fight between Florek, Fraser, Spooner, and koko

4th line will get the leftovers.

Personally I think Griffith, Cunningham and Koko will stay in providence at least another year...and will be callups when injuries inevitably occur.

That leaves Florek, Fraser and Spooner to duke it out over the remaining 2 spots...or three if Kelly is dealt although I am not so sure he will.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Honestly, I think they're in as good a spot this year to win it all as last year; it just will look different.

The sleepers could work well enough to get them there.  Add a deadline guy maybe for more veteran reliability.  Then maybe you condense your roster.  Maybe that's when you see Eriksson play with the first line, Smith the second, and Soderberg rotating in with Paille and the best of the rookies as a third line, Campbell and the other rooks playing sparingly.  It would also require the D to harvest the experience from last year and play to its high end, not its low end.  Big minutes from Hamilton and Krug, a fully recovered McQuaid, a fully recovered Seidenberg.  And a brick wall Rask. I wouldn't say a team with Rask in net, Chara leading the D, a more mature Hamilton, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand up front lacks the potential to win it all.  That core is what matters most.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You may be right but so many more rookies to go with the other second year guys on the roster is troubling.

Will they make the playoffs? Yes

Will they win their division? More than likely

Can they win it all? Impossible to say, especially with the disappointment form last season where that team was so good

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't say a team with Rask in net, Chara leading the D, a more mature Hamilton, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand up front lacks the potential to win it all.  That core is what matters most.

[/QUOTE]

I'll borrow a line from JMW, looking for an entire team to overachieve is a recipe for disappointment. Even with that core AND Iginla they didnt make it to the ECF. I'll stick to this team winning a round and Im ok with that.. contender to win it all? No chance vs a few teams from the West. And Im ok with that too. Retool now and have the coin to spend for the next few years SCF showings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Honestly, I think if Seidenberg and possibly McQ can stay healthy, even with losing Iggy, they'll be fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cunningham has two 25 goal seasons and 20 goal season in the AHL for a 4th rounder, that isn't that bad. Craig can't help it that there are no spots on the Bruins roster to play for.

Chiarelli it looks will leave himself some cap room for the deadline once he unloads a contract. PC will look at the 1st 20 games and then make a trade if he needs to like any other GM. I still think PC makes a deal or two this summer. One to unload a contract and one to bring in a RW.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

Honestly, I think they're in as good a spot this year to win it all as last year; it just will look different.

The sleepers could work well enough to get them there.  Add a deadline guy maybe for more veteran reliability.  Then maybe you condense your roster.  Maybe that's when you see Eriksson play with the first line, Smith the second, and Soderberg rotating in with Paille and the best of the rookies as a third line, Campbell and the other rooks playing sparingly.  It would also require the D to harvest the experience from last year and play to its high end, not its low end.  Big minutes from Hamilton and Krug, a fully recovered McQuaid, a fully recovered Seidenberg.  And a brick wall Rask. I wouldn't say a team with Rask in net, Chara leading the D, a more mature Hamilton, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand up front lacks the potential to win it all.  That core is what matters most.

[/QUOTE]

Good post, BB. No telling what effect the experience gained by Smith and Soderberg does also. An increase in Smith's 20 goals and Soderberg's 16 would continue to lend itself to the distribution of the Bruins' scoring. It'll be additionally sweet if any of Fraser, Florek, Spooner and/or Griffith, Cunningham and Kokhlachev can chip in with some measurable impact. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

Barring a trade, I see opening the season with Loui & Smith as the top 2 RW's.

I think Koko & Spooner will spend training camp as wingers, and the one that performs the best, will become the #3 RW.

I also expect Management to give Soderberg about a 1/2 season to prove he is good enough to play top 6 minutes. If he does, signing him will become a priority, and Krejci could be dealt, rather than losing him as a UFA.

If Soderberg shows only 3rd line ability, then the focus will shift to signing Krejci before the end of the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Setoguchi.  

I dont want to get in on all the bad contracts.   Wow they are making clarksons look like a steal 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Setoguchi.  

I dont want to get in on all the bad contracts.   Wow they are making clarksons look like a steal 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah even after the season he had I'd still prefer Clarkson over Bolland.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I think management already has Florek pegged for our new look 4th line, and that is probably how it should go.

PC has all but admitted that Eriksson is going to get the first crack at the 1st line which completes the top 6 assuming they keep Bergeron with Marchand and Smith (makes sense to me)

PC has also said that the organization sees Spooner as a center, not a wing.  And honestly who can argue with that given his goose-egg in the goal column during his call-up and his in ability to be effective along the boards and winning puck battles.  Koko on the other hand has shown a better scoring touch and I have read reports of him being the opposite of Spooner in terms of puck battles and board play --- saying he has a knack for coming out of the scrum with the puck.  With that in mind, I give that wing spot to Koko

We still need to shed salary so I'm hoping either Kelley, Campbell, or both are gone --- especially Campbell.  If you get rid of Campbell, you make room for Spooner as our 4C with Paille and Florek on his wings.  Sure not all star caliber wingers, but I think Spooner could make them better, and I believe Florek played on Spooner's line in Providence for a little while at least.

If we get rid of Paille to clear cap space then that other 4th line wing should be Cunningham.  I actually thought he looked pretty good in his callup and has the potential to bring a bit of offense to the line.  Theoretically we could ice a all-Providence 4th line of Spooner-Florek-Cunningham/Fraser.  I actually think that line would surprise some people and outproduce the "merlot line" by a mile.  CJ wouldn't trust them as far as he could throw them, but that is another story

If Kelley is traded for picks, then I see Florek/Fraser plugging in on that line.  If Koko stays in Providence another year, then Fraser slots in on the 3rd line --- but I still think Koko is the better player  

No matter what, Eriksson move up to the top 6.  No way the Bruins traded Seguin to have Eriksson be a bottom 6 player.  I think people are exaggerating the "chemistry" he developed with Soderberg.  That line played well, but when I think chemistry, I need to see two players connecting on a level that most of that skill level wouldn't.  I think Marchand and Bergy are a good example of two players who are eerily on the same page and are able to exploit other defenses because of it --- Bergeron seems to know when Marchand is going to stick handle into 3 people or blow the zone to create a break and is able to react accordingly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Setoguchi.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah even after the season he had I'd still prefer Clarkson over Bolland.

[/QUOTE]

Especially with Bolland recovering from having a severed a tendon in the back of his ankle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think Reilly Smith is first line material, not even sure about the second line. I would like to see them add a right handed shot to the first line. You might have to settle for a Lee Stempniak type player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think Reilly Smith is first line material, not even sure about the second line. I would like to see them add a right handed shot to the first line. You might have to settle for a Lee Stempniak type player.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, this upcoming season will really define him. One season is too small a sample size unfortunately

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep, this upcoming season will really define him. One season is too small a sample size unfortunately

[/QUOTE]

I like him JM, I thought he was a pleasant surprise, but I just don't see him on the first line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

I would hate to see Soderberg digress in his  maturity and would do what ever it took to make him feel confident with his line mates. If that's putting Erikkson on his wing I would hope that would be done. My thought is Krecji & Lucic could handle a rookie or what maybe a lesser wing to make them a better player. One player I mentioned before as a experiment would be Mike Santorelli a big right hand shot with scoring touch. He was with van. Last year 555,000$ having 10 goals 49 games as a 4th winger with alittle bang to his game. A couple years ago he potted 20 with Arizona I believe. Almost like a Nick Johnson signing with alittle more bang & scoring. If it doesn't work you eithier have a 4th liner or a good Ahl player. With Krecji he may have a break out season at 29 yrs old. It's to bad the Bs are in this position but it is what it is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think Lee Stempniak is a better player than Ryan Smith?  Really?

[object HTMLDivElement]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think Lee Stempniak is a better player than Ryan Smith?  Really?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

No, but I think they need right handed shot in the top 6 that can finish. I would have entertained a Chris Kelly for P.A Paranteau deal here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

I'm with you on the right hand shot! Maybe I'm old school but to many off wing shots on the Bs. Marchand, Erikkson, Smith & then Kelly playing a wing. People talking Fraser,Koko, Spooner & Florek filling the voids on RW all left handed shots. Do they have a scoring RW in the system? Griffey who's just to small for the NHL is the only 1 I know

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with you on the right hand shot! Maybe I'm old school but to many off wing shots on the Bs. Marchand, Erikkson, Smith & then Kelly playing a wing. People talking Fraser,Koko, Spooner & Florek filling the voids on RW all left handed shots. Do they have a scoring RW in the system? Griffey who's just to small for the NHL is the only 1 I know

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but he can hit the ball a ton.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Yeah yeah.  Spell checks a killer on these I phone. Griffen!  There you go.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah yeah.  Spell checks a killer on these I phone. Griffen!  There you go.

[/QUOTE]

Just busting your chops pucman.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Griffeys just another left handed shot

Sections
Shortcuts