Smith and Eriksson in 14-15

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Smith and Eriksson in 14-15

I don't think anyone expected Smith to score 20 and play in the top 6, and for Eriksson to have only 10 goals in ~60 games. Smith's season was strange, since he got off to a great start then faded towards the end, and so was Erikssons, having dealt with concussions all year... 

What are you all expecting from them next year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Smith and Eriksson in 14-15

I think, by the quarter pole, Eriksson is ripping it up and Smith is in the press box.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Smith: 15-18 goals, 40-45 points (drop offs are common in a second season)

Eriksson: NA, traded early to mid-season

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hoping Smith will improve and cement his position in the NHL.

Would be surprised if Louie doesn't figure it out for next season, he's got loads of talent and was doing a lot of stuff right that didn't give results.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think that Smith could actually score the same or less points without being a disappointment, as long as he plays pretty much the same way.  I was really impressed with his smarts.  There are some Bergeron comparisons for a reason -- he usually seems to be thinking and making the right play (for a ~rookie).  I liked him in the corners, thought his passing was better than expected, and he seems to have a nose for the net.  He plays hard and just seems consistently good.  I just want more of the same.

Eriksson obviously needs to be much better, or at least much more productive.  He already does a lot of good things, that some people don't want to give him credit for.  But, this isn't Paille or Kelly here.  Good things aren't enough.  The Bruins traded away a top twenty scorer (regular season, that is) and he was supposed to be the consistent scorer coming back.  Reilly Smith has carried Chiarelli's lunch for long enough on this trade.  Time for Eriksson to be the guy that was Dallas' best player 2-3 years ago.  I'm expecting a 50-60 point season, along with the very solid two-play we got this year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Nothing about Smith's play along the boards, half wall or in the neutral zone tells me he won't improve on his offensive output. Reilly has a strong one on one game, I don't see him getting beat a lot when muscling for the puck. He faded a bit at the end but I don't think that is uncommon.

No more concussion excuses next fall. Eriksson must get out to a good start. I say he will as well.

Meanwhile Tyler will light it up in the regular season again and BDC will hear all about it, as Dallas is on it's way too...

AUTOCUP.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think, by the quarter pole, Eriksson is ripping it up and Smith is in the press box.

[/QUOTE]

Man, I hope not! I think he will have a decent year. Decent offensive numbers (18-20 goals, 50ish points) and plays a responsible two-way game and makes CJ proud.

Ericksson should be much better assuming he's healthy. I think he returns to his normal level of production of 20+ goals and plays a responsible two-way game and makes CJ proud.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A lot depends on the red wheelbarrow beside the white chickens....

Smith might actually do better next year if he plays with Soderberg and Eriksson; that's assuming Bergeron and Marchand stay together.  Not sure why, but Marchand didn't seem to find Smith very often.  Could be that their timing was off, but it could just be a bad fit.  I have a number of memories of Smith making a great cut to the net or a move to open space making himself available for a relatively routine pass that would have led to a grade A scoring chance - and he wouldn't get the puck.  Part of that may be on him - making the move when the puck carrier can't see him break - but at least part of it is Marchand and even Bergeron from time to time not anticipating that Smith will find that seam.  Soderberg, on the other hand, seems to look for that cut and put the puck on his stick.  He's not an incredibly creative finisher - he scores by creating good chances and by taking the puck to the net and not by flat out beating a goalie head's up.  Stanley's cry for him to be a SO guy notwithstanding....  Point is, I don't think he'll hit 30 goals, but 20+ for sure.

I've said for a while that I think next year is when the Eriksson deal comes home.  He'll probably play 3rd line assuming Iginla returns, and he'll continue to play in all situations, so he'll get enough ice time.  I think you'll see him click with Soderberg and hopefully with whoever's on the other wing.  I'm thinking 23-30-53.  Something like that.  Which would be satisfactory if you ask me.  It would mean 45 or so goals from the two main players coming back for Seguin.  I'll take it.

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...I also anticipate two other things with Eriksson (no, not new shoulder pads): I don't think you'll see him get caught from behind as often as you did this year; a full off season of training will get his legs back under him after the transition summer and a concussion filled first half.  And you won't see nearly as many golden opportunities go over, under, and around his stick.  If he pots even half of those net side tap ins he missed this year, he'd have had 20 goals.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that Smith could actually score the same or less points without being a disappointment, as long as he plays pretty much the same way.  I was really impressed with his smarts.  There are some Bergeron comparisons for a reason -- he usually seems to be thinking and making the right play (for a ~rookie).  I liked him in the corners, thought his passing was better than expected, and he seems to have a nose for the net.  He plays hard and just seems consistently good.  I just want more of the same.

Eriksson obviously needs to be much better, or at least much more productive.  He already does a lot of good things, that some people don't want to give him credit for.  But, this isn't Paille or Kelly here.  Good things aren't enough.  The Bruins traded away a top twenty scorer (regular season, that is) and he was supposed to be the consistent scorer coming back.  Reilly Smith has carried Chiarelli's lunch for long enough on this trade.  Time for Eriksson to be the guy that was Dallas' best player 2-3 years ago.  I'm expecting a 50-60 point season, along with the very solid two-play we got this year. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

when you're paid 4+ mil per. and you were the main piece acquired in a mega deal, you're expected to do more than just be sound defensively....  not sure Eriksson can put up better numbers playing on the third line since with Dallas his better seasons were when he played with playmaking centers like Mike Ribeiro & Brad Richards....

as for Smith, i expect him to get even better....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

when you're paid 4+ mil per. and you were the main piece acquired in a mega deal, you're expected to do more than just be sound defensively....  not sure Eriksson can put up better numbers playing on the third line since with Dallas his better seasons were when he played with playmaking centers like Mike Ribeiro & Brad Richards....

[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that's exactly what my post above says...did you read it...?  Confused...

Eriksson won't get the first line opportunities that he did in Dallas, but the Boston 3rd line is like other teams 2nd line and he'll still see PP time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A lot depends on the red wheelbarrow beside the white chickens....

[/QUOTE]

????

Uhh, well, and you can't count on the full moon shining beyond the henhouse either, but that's neither here nor there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

A lot depends on the red wheelbarrow beside the white chickens

????

Uhh, well, and you can't count on the full moon shining beyond the henhouse either, but that's neither here nor there.

[/QUOTE]

Good God the state of our education system when people don't recognize William Carlos Williams.

(sigh)

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/learning/guide/178804

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I guess that one won't be as bad as the George Harrison ear worm....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's more a question of ice time and opportunity.  I think he's got a shot to put up good numbers the way Ryder and Wheeler did a few years back playing against weaker competition on the third line.  Soderberg's creative and now has a full season of NHL hockey to look back on, and he'll be in shape.  If they get a guy who can reliably man that other wing - someone with more offensive savvy than Kelly - I think Eriksson's a lock to improve his totals by a decent margin.

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that's exactly what my post above says...did you read it...?  Confused...

Eriksson won't get the first line opportunities that he did in Dallas, but the Boston 3rd line is like other teams 2nd line and he'll still see PP time.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

yes i did, i just wanted to stress your point even further by noting his salary....  plus the B'S gave up not only "a top twenty scorer" but the 4th overall [albeit regular season only]....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey now, Badhab, suddenly pretentious...I like it.  A gold star for you.  Touche. 

No Williams?? Won't someone please think of the children?!?

Now, where is the 'henhouse' from...?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

yes i did, i just wanted to stress your point even further by noting his salary....  plus the B'S gave up not only "a top twenty scorer" but the 4th overall [albeit regular season only]....

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, sounded so much like a rebuttal...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

I guess that one won't be as bad as the George Harrison ear worm....

[/QUOTE]

Knock it off.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smith: 15-18 goals, 40-45 points (drop offs are common in a second season)

Eriksson: NA, traded early to mid-season

[/QUOTE]

Chia will have a heart attack if that happens. Luckily for Chia Smith saved his hide with a decent season. I still think the trade in long run will haunt him in future. A lot of put down of Seguin because he had great regular season and poor playoffs.  Sounds exactly like the Bruins regular season and playoffs. Only thing in Dallas is they were just happy to make playoffs for first time since 2008. And who gets the credit for it.  Chia for giving them Seguin.  To me Smith is the key player in this deal. Can he hit the 30 goal plateau to make this deal fair or did we just pick up a couple of average players for a potential stud. And let me clarify. I wasn't totally impressed with Seguin when he was here. Weak at faceoffs and weak in corners . But any way you look at it he was a huge chip and was sent away after a crappy season.  4th in scoring and 22 years old and now Dallas has that chip and we couldn't give Loui away .  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey now, Badhab, suddenly pretentious...I like it.  A gold star for you.  Touche. 

No Williams?? Won't someone please think of the children?!?

Now, where is the 'henhouse' from...?

[/QUOTE]

I have always been pretentious.  I was an English major back in the day.

And right after graduation I started to pursue software for the filthy lucre.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nothing about Smith's play along the boards, half wall or in the neutral zone tells me he won't improve on his offensive output. Reilly has a strong one on one game, I don't see him getting beat a lot when muscling for the puck. He faded a bit at the end but I don't think that is uncommon.

No more concussion excuses next fall. Eriksson must get out to a good start. I say he will as well.

Meanwhile Tyler will light it up in the regular season again and BDC will hear all about it, as Dallas is on it's way too...

AUTOCUP.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

[/QUOTE]

His four goals in the 12 playoff games were encouraging.

His two goals in the final 30 games were not!  

I hope he continues on the playoff path, but I don't bet on things like that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think Loui could get first line minutes.   I also wouldnt be shocked if he were dealt.  If he stays and is given a shot he will lead team in goals.  

Im scared of smith.  I think playing with bergie marchand helped big time.  I hope im wrong but i think he could be a bust this year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Eriksson's offensive numbers have been on a decline steadily the last 3 years. With that being said I really don;t see him declining from last years numbers.

Smith, will be and projected to score 15-20 goals a season.  Jury still out on him.

where's Marco ? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Smith: 22 goals, 34 assists, 56 points. Eriksson: 34 goals, 27 assists 61 points