Smyth and Whitney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Smyth and Whitney

In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney:
    [QUOTE]True,  but they're looking at getting either Nail Yakupov or Mikhail Grigorenko. They will have a toough time signing everyone, but why on earth would they trade away that pick? Both of these guys are being compared to Malkin an Ovechkin- you don't willingly pass up on a player like that, even if it will potentially cause cap issues down the line.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    I should clarify I wasn't suggesting that. I'm just wondering what they've got planned for the near future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

The thought was a starting point. No one seemed to object to moving Kelly for Smyth as a rental. Edmonton, IMO, won't make that a head for head deal, so what other suggestions to make it work for Edmonton. I agree on getting Yakupov or Grigorenko-I don't think they can pass that up, but would they move Smith for Kelly and a third or one of the flotsam in Providence? We don't have any draft choices for 2012 to work with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2012. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2012's posts

I would love Ryan Smith for the playoffs if he is not too expensive...like our 2nd round pick in 2012 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanlet Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I would love Ryan Smith for the playoffs if he is not too expensive...like our 2nd round pick in 2012 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanlet Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2012[/QUOTE]

How are you going to get the Asst. GM job if you don't know what draft picks the B's have traded away ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Can someone explain to me how all this works...

1. In a trade what determines whether you just trade players currently on the roster?

2. Or when prospects and minor league players are included?

3. When and how much cash is involved?

4. When a draft pick is involved?

5. When a player is a rental or has a contract?

I am getting a bit confused when you all talk about this and want to be included in the conversation but feel a bit like a fish out of water understanding it all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Sounds like Smythe has a lot of control over where he ends up. Why would object to Boston and choose Rangers over Bruins except for obvious recent slide. But he would get a lot of minutes with Horton being hurt so Boston would have to be more attractive than Rangers would you not think?
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

Glenn Sather.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Can someone explain to me how all this works... 1. In a trade what determines whether you just trade players currently on the roster? 2. Or when prospects and minor league players are included? 3. When and how much cash is involved? 4. When a draft pick is involved? 5. When a player is a rental or has a contract? I am getting a bit confused when you all talk about this and want to be included in the conversation but feel a bit like a fish out of water understanding it all.
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]
    Mac, I think you're over-thinking things here. A GM decides if he wants to trade roster players and/or prospects/picks based upon what he perceives to be his team's needs. He then needs to make a deal that fits in with the league mandated salary cap structure when completed. It's really all about each GM's personal preferences regarding how he wants to build his team. It's a bit like Monopoly with a salary cap. A player is considered a rental when he's traded in the final few months of his contract with no guarantee of re-signing him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I thought I meet be Dez but I was not sure. There were so many posters spouting what it would take to make trades I was unsure how they were coming up with it. I hope PC does not just end up with the get out of jail free car and actually lands on Boardwalk. BS are saying that Smith would go to the Rangers just because of Sather?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

We don't need more 4th liners, we need a top 9 winger (preferably a top 6 if Horton is out).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I would agree that actually we need a top 6 guy as some of the guys have mentioned that even a top 9 guy really will not get it done. Which keeps our third line the mismatch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Anybody see this kid Bondarchuk play? I cannot remember his last game. But what I can remember is stouter than Kampfer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would be very pleased if Ryan Smyth was a Bruin for the playoffs. If he could be had for cheap, like he was when the Oilers picked him up from the L.A.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I am Friends with Ryan Smyths dad, and i'm telling you no way is he waiving his no-trade clause. His dad told me 6 months before he asked out of LA that he wanted to go home to Alberta. If the Oilers are pissed that he won't waive and don't resign him he'd resign with Calgary in a second... and that's right from Ryan himself!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

I TAKE RYAN SMYTH OVER WHITNEY ANY DAY RYAN PLAYS WITH ALOT OF HEART AN CAN PLAY THE JULIAN GAME OF HOCKEY WILL LITE UP THE OPPOSING NET LOTS OF GOALS AN ASSISTS WITH HIS TEAM MATES  WOO HOO # 94 IN A BRUINS JERSEY  GOTTA LOVE IT

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]I am Friends with Ryan Smyths dad, and i'm telling you no way is he waiving his no-trade clause. His dad told me 6 months before he asked out of LA that he wanted to go home to Alberta. If the Oilers are pissed that he won't waive and don't resign him he'd resign with Calgary in a second... and that's right from Ryan himself!!!
    Posted by savybergy77[/QUOTE]

Do you think he would consider moving to Beantown for a few months to be a rental and bring in a couple of assets back to the Oil?  Chance to actually win a cup, improve the Oil longterm and could still resign back this summer?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney : Do you think he would consider moving to Beantown for a few months to be a rental and bring in a couple of assets back to the Oil?  Chance to actually win a cup, improve the Oil longterm and could still resign back this summer?
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

I don't think he would. I know he really didn't like New York for himself or his family and felt the same way about LA. He really enjoyed Denver but that was fairly close to home.

Interesting story...When he accepted the 5 year 6.5mill contract from Colorado, Calgary offered a 4yr at 6.5mil and he wanted to take that if Sutter woulda gave him 1 more year.  Toronto offered him a 5 year 7 mil, and Montreal offered a 5 year 7.5mil/per. Gainey even called smitty and told him he was gonna take away the captaincy away from Koivu (at the time) and give it to Smitty and he said no. I liked him even more after that story!!!

He might consider a rental trade to the Bruins to try and win a cup, just to go back to Edmonton in the offseason, but from what his dad told me, he's staying in Alberta.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney : I don't think he would. I know he really didn't like New York for himself or his family and felt the same way about LA. He really enjoyed Denver but that was fairly close to home. Interesting story...When he accepted the 5 year 6.5mill contract from Colorado, Calgary offered a 4yr at 6.5mil and he wanted to take that if Sutter woulda gave him 1 more year.  Toronto offered him a 5 year 7 mil, and Montreal offered a 5 year 7.5mil/per. Gainey even called smitty and told him he was gonna take away the captaincy away from Koivu (at the time) and give it to Smitty and he said no. I liked him even more after that story!!! He might consider a rental trade to the Bruins to try and win a cup, just to go back to Edmonton in the offseason, but from what his dad told me, he's staying in Alberta.
    This recent THN article makes it sound like his hunger for the Cup might outweigh his NTC. He didn't say he wouldn't leave Edmonton.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/44681-Ryan-Smyths-trade-deadline-dilemma.html

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney : Well, it poses quite a dilemma for him.  How far are the Oilers from Cup contenders?  Smith is also 36....
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Well it sure does sound like it in that article. I do know that his dad said now that he's back he doesn't wanna risk leaving. But who knows...Maybe a 4 month vacation with the family to Beantown, then resign with Edmonton or Calgary, would be worth the risk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney : Well it sure does sound like it in that article. I do know that his dad said now that he's back he doesn't wanna risk leaving. But who knows...Maybe a 4 month vacation with the family to Beantown, then resign with Edmonton or Calgary, would be worth the risk.
    Savy, that's the thing. If he leaves as a Cup run rental, it won't make it any harder for the Oil to re-sign him if they choose to. He's UFA at season's end regardless of where he's playing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney : Savy, that's the thing. If he leaves as a Cup run rental, it won't make it any harder for the Oil to re-sign him if they choose to. He's UFA at season's end regardless of where he's playing.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I love the thought smitty on the Bruins. I have Oilers seasons tickets (I only go to games on the nights the Bruins don't play) and he started the year on fire but lately he's been pretty bad. I think he's just a little tired from the extra ice he's taken on when the young kids all got hurt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney : I love the thought smitty on the Bruins. I have Oilers seasons tickets (I only go to games on the nights the Bruins don't play) and he started the year on fire but lately he's been pretty bad. I think he's just a little tired from the extra ice he's taken on when the young kids all got hurt.
    I'd sure like to see Captain Canada get a chance to lift the Cup. At his age, his real chances to do it are starting to dwindle. On another note, he can't be expecting to make 6.25 again next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smyth and Whitney : I'd sure like to see Captain Canada get a chance to lift the Cup. At his age, his real chances to do it are starting to dwindle. On another note, he can't be expecting to make 6.25 again next year.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

No, from what I gather he'd like to resign with the Oilers for something like 2yr - 2.5/per or a 3yr - 6mil deal to finish off the amazing career. Man he'd look good in Boston...He spends more time in the crease than Timmy does!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I have never heard of a player with his resume not wanting an opportunity to win the cup.

25. This post has been removed.