So-- in which direction do the Wings losses send Chiarelli?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

So-- in which direction do the Wings losses send Chiarelli?

I've been wondering this today.  The 2 losses to the Wings show that the B's are not strong enough to skate with the elite skill teams.  The emotional wins over Dallas and Montreal probably made Bruins' fans too high... while the humbling by the Wings might cause people to overreact.  The Wings are that good, incidentally.

There's holes.  They need a #2 D, another offensive winger, and their inconsistency is troubling.  Friday's game vs Det was predictable in that they usually lay an egg after an emotional game and pretty much take the night off when Rask plays, but their habit of stinking at home bothers me.

Also, while everyone says the B's have a great D and the best goalie in TT, he's looked a bit ordinary in recent games and if Claude has lost faith in Rask altogether because he's been rotted into a state of shakiness, I dunno if TT came play the rest of the way and the playoffs without wearing out.

So the question is... does the result vs Detroit make PC:

- realize even MORE that he needs to make a serious move or 2 and act on it with the Savard savings, or

- go the other way and decide he can't make enough moves to make this team a contender to go deep in the playoffs??

Obviously we dont want him to make a move just to make a move if it's ill-advised.  But, that said...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Re: So-- in which direction do the Wings losses send Chiarelli?

He'll be confused. Won't have the bells to pull the trigger on any trade, while Caps, Pens & Bolts upgrade... He'll be reduced to cheering against the Leafs...one of his few great moves (fluky as it is).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

It does this:

"You know, this team is good.  Not great but good.  But man, I really want that recognition of putting together a team that's gone to the second round in 3 straight years!"

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Hopefully they don't push him any more than the wins did.  The league is a close one.  The Bruins beat Dallas and Montreal, then lost to Detroit. Detroit lost to Nashville.  The Bruins have beaten the elite East teams, so yes, they can skate with the best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: So-- in which direction do the Wings losses send Chiarelli?:
    One of 2: 1. Play to this team's strengths = its physicality.  The Ducks proved you can smash and bash your way to a puck.  But the Bs have to take it to teams like Detroit and SJ. or 2. Look at the holes. Get a puck moving d-man and/or Brad Richards and become and offensive/finesse/fast team like the ones who just beat us.
    Posted by ipot

I dont think a player or 2 puts this team in Detroit's class, I really don't.  The B's do not have one scoring threat that's comparable to Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Fransen, plus Holmgren, Rafalski and the rest of them?  I only see the B's beating them by hitting them and they sure didnt do that much for 6 periods... maybe the first in the Sunday game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

PC is probably really considering a few things.

1) Wheeler(looked ok actually), Horton, Ryder, Recchi. Are they good enough?

2) Transition game needs serious improvement. #2 dman required.

3) Looked like another big body with grit and some finish a 'la holmstrom, franzen, bertuzzi. Unlike forementioned wingers(not recchi)  is necessary.

4) What is clod doing? No adjustments. Benched the kid infront of his entire family in a game where his speed would have been crucial. Meanwhile Boychuck plays one of his worst games of the season.(Im talking Kampfer)

These are the problems everyone knew was there, they reared their head in DET. Now PC has the analysis he needs to fix the problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

My guess is he'll do nothing and then say there were no deals that fit into their structure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

One of 2: 1. Play to this team's strengths = its physicality.  The Ducks proved you can smash and bash your way to a puck.  But the Bs have to take it to teams like Detroit and SJ. or 2. Look at the holes. Get a puck moving d-man and/or Brad Richards and become and offensive/finesse/fast team like the ones who just beat us.
    Posted by ipot

The team just stands around, though. When they play a more machine like Detroit, they don't hit them.

I don't know why, but they don't.

You'd figure a down trend would happen after the Montreal game. It was really how they answered to Detroit in two games which would tell us if the team was for real.

A split would have told us something.

Oh well, at least they have 3 cupcakes in a row before going out west.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Size means nothing agaisnt a team with so many mobile D-men that can move the puck out of their zone so effectively (Detroit, Chicago,Vancouver etc).

We need to upgrade our D and create a balance between size and mobility.

Every team out there knows we're big and tough...but we're alos sluggish back in our zone. This causes too many turnovers in our zone.

Getting Richards won't solve this major flaw in the Bruin's team. Gettign a very good puck moving D-man that can play 25 to 30 minutes per game will do wonders for this squad. Not only will we spend less time in our end, but our forwards will actually get move odd man rushes going the otehr way. 

NO OVERHAUL IS REQUIRED !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

They are least better than the turnstile years (2001-2004) when they had Peter Popovic, Kyle McLaren, Hal Gill, Sean O'Donnell, et al.

If they can just procure one guy with skating/offensive skills to balance out the pairings, they are in business.

Example:

Chara/Kampfer
    Seidenberg/Acquired Puck Mover
    Ference/Boychuck (or Stuart)

McQuaid on bench.

The 3 on the left represent D first mentality players (minus Chara, who is obviously very skilled in both areas).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chiarelli has been talking Defense all year, so let's do it. The second biggest problem is Claude's decision making. Why not Kamfer in Detroit?? Claude's response was typical CYA. Why Recchi on the PK in the 3rd period? No comment or clue?? Why was Marchand all alone in the defensive zone? Did Bertuzzi call "hey Marshy" ?? Why were the defensemen so slow to appear and help Marchand out?? No comment or clue. Why does he continue to skate Thornton against skilled teams?? Thornton has heart, but very little, if any, skill. Claude has his system, but not very much smarts and flexibility. His two bench coaches are just the same. How can any new player correct Claude's shortcomings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Chiarelli has been talking Defense all year, so let's do it. The second biggest problem is Claude's decision making. Why not Kamfer in Detroit?? Claude's response was typical CYA. Why Recchi on the PK in the 3rd period? No comment or clue?? Why was Marchand all alone in the defensive zone? Did Bertuzzi call "hey Marshy" ?? Why were the defensemen so slow to appear and help Marchand out?? No comment or clue. Why does he continue to skate Thornton against skilled teams?? Thornton has heart, but very little, if any, skill. Claude has his system, but not very much smarts and flexibility. His two bench coaches are just the same. How can any new player correct Claude's shortcomings.
    Posted by bogie6

id give you a freaking cookie right now if I could.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

I think these two games combined with the losses to Anaheim, LA and San Jose shows that they cannot compete with the Western conference teams. It also shows that this team needs a shakeup. We need 2 good forwards and a good defenseman. One thing that is a concern, with Rask struggling so much, what if Thomas gets injured early in the playoffs or in the conference/cup final? Will they be doomed with Rask coming in? I think Chiarelli needs to go make a big move to bolster the offence and defence as this team was humbled by the Red Wings back to back nights.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

One thing that PC should learn form this is go tell Sinbad O'Conner not to take his best skating defensman off the ice against a great skating team like Detroit!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Hehehe had to do it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

Kampfer looks like he can move the puck but we need someone else  PC said the toronto pick was in play he better hit a homerun with it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

PC is intelligent, he will realize that teams lose 2 games in a row over the course of an 82 game season and not do something stupid
    Posted by pbergeron37

I.E., if I don't not pull of a big trade, I will pretend our team is locked and loaded for a run to the Cup Finals.

Come on, now.  This teams needs a move or two.

And adding an Eric Weinrich or a Scott Pellerin won't cut it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

In Response to Re: So-- in which direction do the Wings losses send Chiarelli? : I dont think a player or 2 puts this team in Detroit's class, I really don't.  The B's do not have one scoring threat that's comparable to Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Fransen, plus Holmgren, Rafalski and the rest of them?  I only see the B's beating them by hitting them and they sure didnt do that much for 6 periods... maybe the first in the Sunday game.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Holmgren?  He is too fat, but has a sweet mustache...plus I don't think the Browns want him playing hockey...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hehehe had to do it.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Absolutely a dead on facial comparison, certainly!  My brother and I have been using Homer Siimpson and Elmer Fudd, but Curly is the best facial makeup.  As far as hockey sense, CJ has them all beat.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

They are least better than the turnstile years (2001-2004) when they had Peter Popovic, Kyle McLaren, Hal Gill, Sean O'Donnell, et al. If they can just procure one guy with skating/offensive skills to balance out the pairings, they are in business. Example: Chara/Kampfer Seidenberg/Acquired Puck Mover Ference/Boychuck (or Stuart) McQuaid on bench. The 3 on the left represent D first mentality players (minus Chara, who is obviously very skilled in both areas).
    Posted by BBReigns

Boychuk to the bench and play McQuaid with Ference. They've been consistent the whole time they've played together.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

PC is intelligent, he will realize that teams lose 2 games in a row over the course of an 82 game season and not do something stupid
    Posted by pbergeron37

And thats the kind of thought process that will get the Bruins no further than the second round...ONCE AGAIN

ie... Thank god your not GM

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I see the so called eastern power got handled 6-2 by the Redwings last night. Roloson was in net. Oh,Oh. Better trade St. Louis, get Brodeur or maybe even Kaberle. At least fire the coach.

Sections
Shortcuts