So was Kaberle worth the price?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Re: So was Kaberle worth the price?

Yada Yada on the picks, point is this guy is softer than Dairy Queen, and how do you skate around in circles not shooting until you give the puck away repeatedly...USELESS!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In Response to So was Kaberle worth the price?:
    [QUOTE]I think Chiarelli felt sorry for Burke when you consider what he gave up for Mr. Emotion
    Posted by scotland19[/QUOTE]

I watched a lot of Leaf games over the years,and i don't no what Chiarelli saw in Kaberle,i wouldn't have given the leafs a hockey stick and roll of tape

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Answer ... No

Has done nothing for the PP.

First, you need to be On The PP!
    Second, Way to soft in the defensive zone. He leaves the zone before the other team? Really? What kind of Defense is that? How could TT save the first Gionta goal? Stuart is waaay better. PC, you made a mistake here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

He's a #2 defenceman.  That's what he is.  Chara has to put it in his head that he should shoot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

I guess we'll miss out on Colborne bashing next year then.

Blake wheeler was the whippin boy on this thing for having the same game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

He's soft, doesn't like to get hit. He coughed it up last night to avoid a hit. The Habs will exploit him, throw it in his corner all night. It's like Sergei Gonchar all over again.

And another thing. I know it's been said and suggested, but time to get Chara in front of the net on the Powerplay.

Dare to be great, Julien

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: So was Kaberle worth the price?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, Kaberle was worth it, he's immensely talented. Yes, that goal was a perfect assist for the Habs.  Only for me in my viewing - ok? - it's the first mistake I've seen him make like that. The problem?  Coaching.  He is being poorly used, most notably on the PP.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with this.  Kaberle has been very good, and I hope PC re-signs him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFW826. Show DFW826's posts

I think you've gotta think of it in terms of Kaba for Stuart and for my money I'd rather have a strong, intimidating, back checking, cover-the-man, play the body Dman in Julien's system than a puck moving, weak D coverage but gifted playmaker.  Kaba is a good character guy but he should be raking in the assists and definitely should be at least nominally helping the power-play once in a while.  I hope so badly that he proves me wrong and we end up seeing NHL commercials about him in a month about History Being Made or whatever the slogan is this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: So was Kaberle worth the price?:[QUOTE]He's soft, doesn't like to get hit. He coughed it up last night to avoid a hit. The Habs will exploit him, throw it in his corner all night. It's like Sergei Gonchar all over again. And another thing. I know it's been said and suggested, but time to get Chara in front of the net on the Powerplay. Dare to be great, Julien Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

Kaberle reversed the puck not to avoid a hit but to make a routine play. What wasn't routine was Seidenberg staring at the puck like he didn't know what to do. Dennis should know Tomas's tendencies by now. Kaberle made the right play but Seidenberg just nonchalantly skated over to the puck wrong assessment of the play.

True to Bruins fans bringing up the past "2004, 2004 the Habs, the Habs" after the Bruins lose one game as is suggesting leaving Boston vunerable on the blueline during the powerplay with all the speed Montreal has. Everyone from Greenwich to Bangor in New England has been screaming "Chara in front of the net on the PP!"

Dare to say something new instead of useless old info...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

The 'pass' was hot, and it was blind. There is nothing routine about the Canadiens forecheck. Kaberle's cool under pressure, as long as there's no real pressure. Seen a lotta Leafs games, sorry.

What would 'SanDog suggest for the Powerplay - and - please - make sure it's something 'new'.

Dare to be great...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

...and Seidenberg had two guys on him. It wasn't the right play.

and 'at ease' SanDog, no one thinks this one play determines his worth, just that  it bears watching. There are hopes and expectations for the guy - it's good problem to have

same with Lucic...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

The answer to the question asked is NO.

And the next question is--  Is Chiarella big enough to admit his mistake and not re-sign him?  And Kelly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The thing about Kaberle is many fans thought the B's were getting a goal scorer - which he isn't.  He has never had more than 11 goals in a season, and he has 6 (yes, 6) career playoff goals in 78 GP.  His value is passing the puck, which he does well, but no one's been able to finish on a consistent enough basis.  Let's hope that changes tonight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scotland19. Show scotland19's posts

Kaberle as everyone knows is 33, a man. Colbourne is 21, a boy. He projects as a large useful second line centre with touch (when he grows into his body) but he is not considered to be a banger-type player.
    He fits with the youth movement of the Leafs so it was a good fit for them and they have Jake Gardiner who is a Kaberle type player. The draft pick is useful but not stunning unless Burke can wheel and deal it.
    I wonder if Chiarelli will keep Kaberle to save face on this deal. The B's could sign him then flip him for someone who is a better fit for their playing style. With the lack of real blue chip UFAs this year, the trade market could be very interesting.
    FYI everyone: TSN has a poll about who will be the most hated player in this year's playoffs.
    Hopefully, the B's will overcome the smurfs. Otherwise Subban will hands-down.
    He is an unfortunate stereotype.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: So was Kaberle worth the price? : ... like Blake Wheeler?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

No, Peverley for Wheeler was genius.  But, if your comparing players, Wheeler can't hold a candle to Colborne's skill.  And Colborne's bigger than Wheeler even as a rookie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

[QUOTE]He adds some great puck control in the offensive zone, particularly on the PP, but he's only an average defenseman otherwise. I would rather have picked up a 40-goal scorer, but for the $$$.
    Posted by Altus123[/QUOTE]

Out of the five players that finished the season with 40+ goals:
    Corey Perry - 50
    Steven Stamkos - 45
    Jarome Iginla - 43
    Ryan Kesler - 41
    Daniel Sedin - 41

Which one of those should the Bruins have gone for?  Which of those four teams would have traded any on them away at the deadline?

Point being, every team would like to pick up a 40-goal scorer at the deadline.  The truth is, there aren't a lot of them out there in the NHL these days.

The Bruins did the best they could to address their needs at the deadline based on what was available.  The power play was their biggest deficiency and, agreed, it hasn't improved with Kaberle - but it doesn't mean it wasn't the right move to make at the time.

As some people have mentioned, the PP system itself doesn't seem to be very effective.  Based on his stats, Kaberle should have made an impact.  Unfortunately, he hasn't yet... but that's not all on him.  He's only 1 player out of 10 that sees regular PP minutes.  The other 9 guys bear some of that responsibility, too.

Let's just hope they figure it out soon and it starts to click.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Yes, as noted by those who watched him in Toronto, Claude's System is confusing and hinders his ingrained playmaking, as the Bruins forwards are not where he expects them to be. Kaberle did not become a dunce overnight, and we do get glimpses of his puck movement and passing talent which could help except for Claude's rewstrictions on offense and creativity.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: So was Kaberle worth the price?:=[QUOTE]In Response to Re: So was Kaberle worth the price? : No, Peverley for Wheeler was genius.  But, if your comparing players, Wheeler can't hold a candle to Colborne's skill.  And Colborne's bigger than Wheeler even as a rookie. Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Wheeler had already completed his first full season at Colborne's current development point and has 57 total goals in his first 3 NHL seasons until Joe complete's his first full NHL season there can be no comparison of skill. Colborne was expendable because of Seguin, Spooner and your favorite Knight are in the organization.

PS. Enjoy your feast at your local 99 Money mouth

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

So far, not worth it or his salary. I'd be more that happy to have to eat my words though.

Proove us wrong you slac...   um, Kaberle!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Contrary to what most people want to believe, Brian Burke is not an idiot.  He determined that Kaberle was not worth what he should be paid.  He made that decision a long time ago. It took a long time to find somebody to pay the price he wanted.  Nobody wanted to pay it.  This all leads me to conclude A) we paid too much and B) use the money elsewhere next year.  Now, that all changes if the PP gets going and there is a deep playoff run.  But, based on what we've seen so far, it's one and done for both the B's and Kaberle.  Something neeeds to change starting tonight. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Colborne has done nothing to indicate he is superior to Wheeler.  He is also no bigger, not that it makes a difference when you are a skill player and not a banger at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Contrary to what most people want to believe, Brian Burke is not an idiot.  He determined that Kaberle was not worth what he should be paid.  He made that decision a long time ago. It took a long time to find somebody to pay the price he wanted.  Nobody wanted to pay it.  This all leads me to conclude A) we paid too much and B) use the money elsewhere next year.  Now, that all changes if the PP gets going and there is a deep playoff run.  But, based on what we've seen so far, it's one and done for both the B's and Kaberle.  Something neeeds to change starting tonight. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

No, Burke's not an idiot.  He is a gambler and a hard bargainer.  And he bargained hard for Kaberle, don't forget, he's been on the trading block for a long time and Burke had to get a sweet deal to move him.

I believe Kaberle is not settled in yet.  His defense is going to be as good as it will be, but adjusting his skills to the Bruins offense has a long way to go.

I don't see anything in Colborne's game that got me all excited.  To me he looks like a less skilled Wheeler.  The most impressed I was by him was when he took a stick to the face in the rookie game, was knocked senseless and was bleeding like a stuck pig and insisted to skate off the ice under his own power.  Sort of, 2 guys helped him off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: So was Kaberle worth the price? := Wheeler had already completed his first full season at Colborne's current development point and has 57 total goals in his first 3 NHL seasons until Joe complete's his first full NHL season there can be no comparison of skill. Colborne was expendable because of Seguin, Spooner and your favorite Knight are in the organization. PS. Enjoy your feast at your local 99
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

True.  I'm projecting a little.  Colborne's hinderance has been his skating.  But, I dont think anyone would argue, after seeing him play a few pro games, he has better playmaking touch than Wheeler and he's alot bigger.  Both are key if you want to be successful in the NHL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

And yes, I'm looking forward to Nines steak tips tonight after the game. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Just thought I'd pass this along from today's Toronto Sun and one of their sports writers, folks. 

Kab deal looking better

Rob Longley - April 14th, 2011

The more you see Tomas Kaberle play in a Bruins uniform, the more apparent it becomes that the Leafs easily won the trade deadline deal that sent the veteran defenceman to Kaberle. 

Much as his career was going nowhere in Toronto it has seemingly gotten worse in Beantown where Kaberle has done little to justify the belief of Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli that the puck mover was the missing piece. Kaberle has struggled to fit in and looked shaky early in Thursday’s playoff opener against Montreal.

On the other end, the Leafs are already pleased with the play of Joe Colborne, who came over in the deal, and still have a first-round draft pick to use this spring.