So what's the deal with Bleacher Report?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

So what's the deal with Bleacher Report?

I know NAS and BB hate it.
    I know that utter jerk Brian Touhey writes for it (I honestly wish the worst on this human flotsam).
    I have looked at it and seen some lame stuff and some average stuff.

But why?  The hate seems to go deeper than just simple lame-ness.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: So what's the deal with Bleacher Report?

Don't know.  I dislike it, purely because it isn't that useful.  Don't hate it.  Don't hate much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I dislike it because it's so amateur it's amazing.  Just about anyone can sign up to be a "reporter" and from there, they "report" just about anything.

I hate it because they present it to be real journalism and people quote it as such.

I saw better writing when corresponding for my Singapore-made Lucic knockoff that cost me $20.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Basically what NAS said minus the knock-off jersey, but for me, the worst part is that some of the truly awful stuff is so thoroughly stupid it should be quarantined before it can be "re-tweeted" all over the blogosphere.  Some of it is just stupid beyond measure - enough that, before I stopped looking, I learned some valuable things like Nolan Ryan was one of the most over-rated pitchers of all time, Walter Payton was one of the most over-rated running backs, and Dennis Rodman was one of the most under-rated shooters in NBA history.

Face.  Hammer.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I'll read it occasionally. It doesn't mean I hate it or like it. When you really think about it , what's the difference between reading a Bleacher Report article and coming on bruins.com to see what some have to say ?

Some are good and some are horribly bad. Both types of opinions are entertaining. I don't limit what I read because of what others don't like.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Thank you Chowda...Obviously NAS and Book know more about Hockey than I do and not disputing that but if the information spurns a good discussion amongst us then what is the harm. If you agree great say so. If you don't great say so. It is no less sensational than KPD or Haggerty. I actually agree with Kessler, Raymond, Bryzgalof, Kaberle as all being overrated and over paid. But I am not an expert like you all and that is my humble opinion. Lets not get so arrogant on this board that we cannot use information to start prudent discussions. It is the summer time for heck sake. What else do you want to talk about before we see some action by PC. And training camp. Until then I will enjoy the healthy bantering. Next they will say I am a troll. It is kind of like nit picking my tag line. Really this is what we should focus on. If you disagree with the information enlighten us with your genius. I get there are some really stupid sources for information but no one is quoting this as gospel just offering it up for discussions amongst the group when the topics are too stale. Guess we are all to punchy now that we are out early in the play offs. Happy hunting boys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think you're missing the point, Mac.  I'm all for other sites sparking conversations, but when they're Eklund or BR, they often are literally so stupid there's no point in trying to discuss them rationally.  "The Higgs Boson is just a really small potato."  "Alexander the Great would have been a fantastic Yahtzee player."

You know what it is?  It's the other side of the "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it!" defense.  Yes, you're entitled to have an opinion, but there's nothing that says I can't criticize the thinking on which that opinion is founded.  Usually, the BR garbage is founded on nothing rational.  It's just people playing at being sports reporters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Respected sports journalist Dave Kindred wrote this of Bleacher Report: "It's a content farm whose plowmen fly the fanboy flag, "All The News Fit to Steal."

I've taught my college students about Bleacher Report-- there is not a site on the Internet today that involves an uglier meshing of professional and amateur reporting issues. BR writers "borrow" from mainstream outlets and of course mainstream outlets are going to hate it.

My take: sites like BR are going to become more prominent rather than losing their luster. Why? Because from small to large papers, paid content producers (i.e., the professionals) are increasingly putting up their content behind paywalls. The Globe has done it and we'll see it happen more. Thus the so-called amateurs are going to a) demand a place to voice their opinions and quasi-facts and b) some of their work will become more visible in the absence of paywall protected news and reporting.

I don't ever read it but BR is here to stay.

Check out Kindred's piece here:
    http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/waiting-for-the-day-readers-march-in-and-demand-an-end-to-the-dreck/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Once again, whatever sells can be printed. The days of media legitimacy and honesty are long gone. sensation and " maybe's" are all the norm. Unfortunaterly some of our "knowledgeable" participants end up criticizing perspective rather than using their knowledge to offer corrections that expand our view, or provide a different slant. I'm not including trolls as "knowledgeable".  There are some  valueable regulars here that are enjoyable to read.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I hate it because:

- it overpopulates search results, sometimes making up the vast majority of available content
    - it over-uses the slideshow format; basically everything is a scroll through 1-10 of "things to watch" or "Top 5 players with something to prove" blah blah.
    - Almost none of if is actually insightful.

My default google sported related search syntax is something like:
    "Boston Bruins" -bleacher
    "Dougie Hamilton" -bleacher
    "Tyler Seguin naked pics" -bleacher

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think Dirt Dogs is a more credible source for sports information. BR further blurs the line between journalism and "sportstertainment". I don't care to see an article on the 100 ugliest athletes in sports or top ten pro team's dance squads (surprise! its the Cowboy Cheerleaders and Laker Girls at 1 and 2). Mean spirited drivel and conjecture on that site. I avoid that ghastly rumour mill.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to So what's the deal with Bleacher Report?:
    I know NAS and BB hate it. I know that utter jerk Brian Touhey writes for it (I honestly wish the worst on this human flotsam). I have looked at it and seen some lame stuff and some average stuff. But why?  The hate seems to go deeper than just simple lame-ness.
    Posted by BadHabitude

The deal is Bleacher Report sucks. There are more informed, better writers here in this forum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Bleacher Report is an affront to journalism and a prime example of dumbing down a subject matter to below amateur reasoning. Blending sports journalism (or any journalism for that matter) with open-source publishing that is largely unedited can only yield the ugly result that is BR.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Sorry book you are right. I was missing it. I have just posted information from there to inspire conversation NOT as FACT or substantiate my opinion and I do not want any confusion there. Some times I am simply mitigatng the conversation NOT giving my opinion. Frankly I believe you are all much more knowledgable and do not want to sully anything with silly opinions of AN old war horse Bruins Fan. I find the topics sort of interesting whether the content is good. I do see the same names bandied about from site to site lately so it is worth spurning discussion is all I mean and I hope you understand my point on that. I cannot stand KPD right now and would rather have nails hammered in my stomach than read his crap lately so I do get it. I think we Squashed as they say Book Cheers. Keep up the great posts yours are some of my Favs. Except when you let the morons get to you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Quoting content from there to spark conversation is not more fruitful than quoting stuff from the bathroom wall.

Do people still write on the bathroom wall?  I suppose they no longer need to as they can instead become a media pass jounalist for Bleacher Report.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: So what's the deal with Bleacher Report?:
    Quoting content from there to spark conversation is not more fruitful than quoting stuff from the bathroom wall. Do people still write on the bathroom wall?  I suppose they no longer need to as they can instead become a media pass jounalist for Bleacher Report.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Seriously?  You can get a media pass by doing less than filling in the back of a match book cover?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

In Response to So what's the deal with Bleacher Report?:
    I know NAS and BB hate it. I know that utter jerk Brian Touhey writes for it (I honestly wish the worst on this human flotsam). I have looked at it and seen some lame stuff and some average stuff. But why?  The hate seems to go deeper than just simple lame-ness.
    Posted by BadHabitude

How about the fact that the site is a complete fraud.  They had an article a few days ago about the 100 toughest athletes.  On the list were a few golfers, baseballs players and even a jockey.  Their criteria for the hockey players was how many fights they started.

Sections
Shortcuts