So whats up with Thomas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: So whats up with Thomas?

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Under normal circumstances I'd say he's done & would never get back to where he was. TT is a different individual. He thrives off people doubting him. Just as TT was about to give up his NHL chances he got that call from Mike O'Connell. He was packed to go to Finland that day.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this wasn't part of a game plan by him. He's heard all the stories & all the nay sayers how he wouldn't be that good in a different system. Or how the B's gave him so much goal support in the SCF. This is what makes Thomas tick. In 2012 play-offs against the Caps. TT looked the same way he did in 2010 when Rask took his job. He lost his will to battle as hard as he did. He won everything there was to win for a goalie in 2011. In 2012 his goal was th eHart Trophy. Once he knew he wasn't good enough to win that he felt like he failed his goal. If Rask didn't have the groin issue I think CJ would've not made the same mistake he made in 2010 against Philly. And he would've gave Rask a start. Thomas is a different breed & having him not get calls, or not get a contract is exactly what he wants. He wants to come out of NO WHERE again. And even though he ruined a lot of his legacy, he certainly isn't going to let that be the end of it. I just don't see a man who fought so hard & for so long to get where he is & let it go that easily. 

nite, you're right.  His determination is well-documented.  It's hugely admirable to help take him to where it did and I wish him no ill.  As a goaltender I'm wondering what part of playing the position is affected most by inactivity of the length he's experienced.  I've always read player's accounts of no amount of practice can equal game situations. 

Timing is the one thing that affects so much & you're right nothing equals game situations. Adrenaline can certaily help, but it can also hurt you. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

He's proven himself untrustworthy - how many players have decided to take a year off like this?  Not very many.  He's proven himself a lightning rod for politics.  He hasn't played in a  year.  He's a gamble.

You may not agree with me, but it looks like every gm in the NHL does.

He has proven himself to be all of those things. But he has also proven to be a great competitor who can lead a team to a Stanly Cup.

I think it is to early to say every GM does not want him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"According to the team, the Bruins will receive a conditional second-round draft pick in 2014 or 2015. GM Peter Chiarelli declined to provide specifics of the condition. Chiarelli acknowledged that the condition centers on whether Thomas resumes his career either this season or next. If Thomas never plays again, the Bruins will not receive the pick."

Hmm did that mean he had to play for the Islanders by the end of 2014 or just anyone ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"According to the team, the Bruins will receive a conditional second-round draft pick in 2014 or 2015. GM Peter Chiarelli declined to provide specifics of the condition. Chiarelli acknowledged that the condition centers on whether Thomas resumes his career either this season or next. If Thomas never plays again, the Bruins will not receive the pick."

Hmm did that mean he had to play for the Islanders by the end of 2014 or just anyone ?

Great question San, I would assume he would have to play for the Islanders but the way that it is worded, I'm not so sure.

Conditional 2nd round pick is alot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

shupe - you think Thomas would demand a hefty contract? I really don't think he will get any offer more than a million bucks. 

Here's my question though. If we were to set the over/under on future Tim Thomas wins in the NHL, what would it be? I think I would say 3. He's either going to be horrible and be done within a few games or be a decent netminder. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]

Great question San, I would assume he would have to play for the Islanders but the way that it is worded, I'm not so sure.

Conditional 2nd round pick is alot.

[/QUOTE]

Yea that is a million dollar question. I tweeted Dreger & Bobby Mac to see if they know. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from The_Usual_softy. Show The_Usual_softy's posts

Thomas is done. The positive, for him, is that he will be able to do whatever he want and make the comment he want without embarassing anyone. The Bunker never so been so sweet....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Under normal circumstances I'd say he's done & would never get back to where he was. TT is a different individual. He thrives off people doubting him. Just as TT was about to give up his NHL chances he got that call from Mike O'Connell. He was packed to go to Finland that day.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this wasn't part of a game plan by him. He's heard all the stories & all the nay sayers how he wouldn't be that good in a different system. Or how the B's gave him so much goal support in the SCF. This is what makes Thomas tick. In 2012 play-offs against the Caps. TT looked the same way he did in 2010 when Rask took his job. He lost his will to battle as hard as he did. He won everything there was to win for a goalie in 2011. In 2012 his goal was th eHart Trophy. Once he knew he wasn't good enough to win that he felt like he failed his goal. If Rask didn't have the groin issue I think CJ would've not made the same mistake he made in 2010 against Philly. And he would've gave Rask a start. Thomas is a different breed & having him not get calls, or not get a contract is exactly what he wants. He wants to come out of NO WHERE again. And even though he ruined a lot of his legacy, he certainly isn't going to let that be the end of it. I just don't see a man who fought so hard & for so long to get where he is & let it go that easily. 

nite, you're right.  His determination is well-documented.  It's hugely admirable to help take him to where it did and I wish him no ill.  As a goaltender I'm wondering what part of playing the position is affected most by inactivity of the length he's experienced.  I've always read player's accounts of no amount of practice can equal game situations. 

Timing is the one thing that affects so much & you're right nothing equals game situations. Adrenaline can certaily help, but it can also hurt you. 

I don't want to harp on his age but can this aspect of an inactive goaltender's makeup be gradually recouped through repetition in practice and games? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Like you, kel I'll be keeping an eye on where he ends up, if anywhere at all.  Can the features you mention above help overcome the march of time and inactivity?  What part of your game do you think would be affected most if you were out of the game for over a year?  Your agility?  Reflexes?  Vision?

Much more important than those, your timing, positional play, feel for the game - getting in the right spots to anticipate where shots will land, knowing the shooters - and all that stuff.

Agree across the board.  Do you think his success or lackthereof will depend on where he lands?  If, for example he joined the rebuilding Flames he'd be playing behind a team not expected to challenge for the playoffs over the next while.  Could his talents be accurately assessed if he, as stellar as he's been in the past is allowing more goals than his team in front of him can score? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No invite from Olympic team;

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428207

Gee Timmy, maybe you should post more political views and take more time off to help your hockey career out.