So Who Played Well Tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: So Who Played Well Tonight?

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Rask made enough great saves to give the B's a chance to win. That's what his job is.

Great point!  That's it right there, Nite.  I put the Kessel goal squarely on his head but that shouldn't have been the deciding goal.  The B's offense needs to do more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Rask made enough great saves to give the B's a chance to win. That's what his job is.

Great point!  That's it right there, Nite.  I put the Kessel goal squarely on his head but that shouldn't have been the deciding goal.  The B's offense needs to do more.

Bruin's defence has to be a lot better,Bruin's will never score 5 goals,Rask definetly wasn't responsible for loss his defence left him out to dry,one of worse defensive games they have played in a long time,which worries me because defence has always been there strong point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Bruin's defence has to be a lot better,Bruin's will never score 5 goals,Rask definetly wasn't responsible for loss his defence left him out to dry,one of worse defensive games they have played in a long time,which worries me because defence has always been there strong point.

[/QUOTE]

Now were talking on the same level kitchener. That's more troublesome than what JJ has or hasn't done. Has the B's defense been that great these past few seasons, or has TT & Rask been better than what were giving them credtit for? This is why I dispise the line. "The goalie's better because of the team system."  A system can improve a goalie's stats, but it can't make him better. He's either great, good or adaquate. They all have to be adaquate or they wouldn't be there at all, or at least not for long. Where these goalie's rate is then judged on how well the goalie does his job when there's a break down of whatever "system" that specific team plays. Then his consistency is judged to decide where he fits in the 3 categories I've listed. Rask right now fits right on the line between great & good. He's proven more often than not that he's capable of bailing the team out when the system the B's play fails. He's also shown that he can allow that bad goal at a bad time of the game. Those are few & far between though. Rask's toughest game of the yr was the 4-3 shoot-out loss to the Rangers. 2 of those goals were god awful & his team did a nice job of getting him a point by coming back. I think this B's team owes Rask a lot more. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Now back to Rask. Yes I think Rask should've had that Kessel goal. But, to say he needs to be better? That's a bad choice of words to use. How many times have you seen Rask scramble like a TT & make 4 saves in succession? This is where people judge goalie's wrong. They see one thing, but forget another. He stopped breakaways & odd man rushes. So, where do you want him to be better? Stop everything right? And if he doesn't he needs to be better. Sorry, but I don't buy that. Rask made enough great saves to give the B's a chance to win. That's what his job is. The rest of the team didn't give him a chance to help him give them one. 

Yes, the defense is largely responsible for the loss. However, I thought that Rask could have given himself a better opportunity to make some saves on some of Toronto's chances. 

1) Obviously the Kessel goal. Rask overcommitted to one side and left himself out of position when Kessel went five hole.

2) On the van Riemsdyk (no idea if I spelled that correctly) goal, Rask also overcommitted himself to one side. He obviously wasn't expecting van Riemsdyk to bring the puck to the other side of the net. I am not sure that he would have stopped it regardless, but I think he could have given himself a better chance.

3) At another point, a weak wrist shot managed to get by Rask and go off the crossbar. He went into his butterfly too early on this shot and didn't give himself an opportunity to get to the puck. Luckily, it did not go in.

I believe Rask has the capacity to play better. He is capable of stealing games. I want to see him do it in the playoffs when the rest of the B's are not on top of their game.

Maybe this past game just wasn't that game. Maybe I'm just overestimating Rask's abilities. But I really believe Rask is capable of being that good, so I hold high standards for him.

Sections
Shortcuts