Sochi - one year out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sochi - one year out

So the games start 365 days from today, so I thought I'd ask everyone who they think is making it from the Bruins this year?

Chara's an automatic for Slovakia, Krejci will be with the Czech Republic, if Gemany qualifies then Seidenberg is a no-brainer. Those are the slam dunks.

Rask is in tighter due to Finland's depth in net, and it will depend on his performance this year, but he should make it, possibly as the starter.

Which leaves the Canadians. I think Bergeron has to be there - someone has to play the PK and shutdown centre role, may as well be the best in the game. Lucic was a late cut from the last time around, so I think he'll make it this time, taking over Morrow's role. And Seguin as well, though RW is deep for the Canadians.

Hamilton in 2016, but not yet.

Thoughts?

PS: For a shutdown line with offensive upside and chemistry, I'd almost consider just taking the whole Seguin, Bergeron, Marchand line, but I think there'd be better options than Marchand that may not get you into the box as often in international rules.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Sochi - one year out

Also, beyond the players, anyone else think CJ would be a good choice for coach of Team Canada? Or is his system too complex for such a short tourney for players to buy in?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

So the games start 365 days from today, so I thought I'd ask everyone who they think is making it from the Bruins this year?

Chara's an automatic for Slovakia, Krejci will be with the Czech Republic, if Gemany qualifies then Seidenberg is a no-brainer. Those are the slam dunks.

Rask is in tighter due to Finland's depth in net, and it will depend on his performance this year, but he should make it, possibly as the starter.

Which leaves the Canadians. I think Bergeron has to be there - someone has to play the PK and shutdown centre role, may as well be the best in the game. Lucic was a late cut from the last time around, so I think he'll make it this time, taking over Morrow's role. And Seguin as well, though RW is deep for the Canadians.

Hamilton in 2016, but not yet.

Thoughts?

PS: For a shutdown line with offensive upside and chemistry, I'd almost consider just taking the whole Seguin, Bergeron, Marchand line, but I think there'd be better options than Marchand that may not get you into the box as often in international rules.

Unless he has a lights out play-off this yr. No way Rask over takes Rinne & Kipper. 

Not a hope in hell Lucic makes this team playing on an international ice surface. He got invited to the Vancouver summer camp, because it was on an NA ice size. He just doesn't have the speed. Bergy will be there for sure & if Marchand continues to score big goals & he played well in Worlds in the past he'll be a fringe player. It's up to Tyler if he makes it or not.

Babcock & Hitchcock are the coaching front runners imo, but CJ defineatly will be a part of the 2014 Canadian's in some capacity. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I can see Rinne being his top competition, I just don't know if Kipper's got it at the same level anymore - That opens a door for Rask. He should at least get the third spot. Who would beat him out? Lehtonen? I can see your point about the international ice for Lucic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

TT will likely start in the nets for the USA. ;D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

TT will likely start in the nets for the USA. ;D

OH 50..DID YOU HAVE TO GO THERE!!!! lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I can see Rinne being his top competition, I just don't know if Kipper's got it at the same level anymore - That opens a door for Rask. He should at least get the third spot. Who would beat him out? Lehtonen? I can see your point about the international ice for Lucic.

A really think it's a toss up between Lehtonen & Rask. We'll maybe know more at the end of this season. Kipper is huge in Finland & I think unless Kipper refuses to go, because he knows he won't beat out Rinne for the starters role he'll be on the team just on merit. He's earned his spot for playing on that sadsack of a club in Calgary. Without him the Flames season would've been dousted by Christmas every season. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Thomas came back and played his way into the fold, I would be fine with TT playing for the US. I would have to think Quick, Miller, Schneider and Howard are way out right now though. Players from the WJC U20 2004 and 2012 Gold Medal US teams can say they now know how to win on the bigger rinks over seas.

There will be so much talent in this Olympics as countries development systems have picked up the pace quite a bit. Sweden, Finland and the Czechs have closed a significant gap to Russia in recent years.

Who plays in the net for Canada ? would be one of the biggest questions heading into the tournament. As of today would Price be the choice all the way ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think it would be Price, but you can't discount Lou - he's playing very well right now in an etremely awkward situation, while both Fleury and especially Ward seem to be underperforming.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Kipper is not what he used to be. Rask has out-played him 3 years in a row. I also don't think Lehtonen would get the knod either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Can't stand Ray Ferraro's team

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415401#YourCallTop

Mainly because it's just talent, with no consideration given to actual roles, and who works best for the team. It looks more like an all-star team than a team put together to win games. Who does he have there to play the PK or the shutdown centre role? I honestly believe come next year that will be Bergeron's job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

If Rask is the third string goalie, he won't go. Same thing he said last time. Hopefully his play over the next year gives him at least the nod for 2nd string.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

And there is no way Bergeron doesn't make it. He was out there for every faceoff in the left circle for Canada and won the Selke last year. He does so many things right, Team Canada would be stupid to leave him out. You need forwards that can play D in that big a stage.

I'd actually rather have Bergeron than Seguin on the team (just because Team Canada already has goal scorers).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Kipper is not what he used to be. Rask has out-played him 3 years in a row. I also don't think Lehtonen would get the knod either.

Where do you see this???? In stats!!!! You obvisously haven't watch very many Flames games since 04'! And when Kari is healthy (albeit) not often, he's just as good as Rask.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

If Rask is the third string goalie, he won't go. Same thing he said last time. Hopefully his play over the next year gives him at least the nod for 2nd string.

If that's his attitude then he doesn't deserve to be on the team! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Other than Cam Ward and Marc-Andre Fleury, who else could take a spot for Canada ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Other than Cam Ward and Marc-Andre Fleury, who else could take a spot for Canada ?

There's Lou, Price, Ward, Fleury, and then dark horses in Brian Elliott and Corey Crawford. There's also this ageless wonder named Martin Brodeur...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I'll be shocked if the 3 goalie's that aren't there isn't Fleury (unless he continues to kief the bed) Ward (unless he continues to be allergic to the puck) Price who right now is one of the hottest in the league. NO WAY Bobby Lou makes this team. Not after 2010's tying goal he allowed & his 2011 cup final performance. Unless he redeems himself to show he can handle the pressure. I just don't see Stevie Y bringing him back. The only way Elliot makes it is if Hitch is the coach. Corey needs to continue to be stellar & have a great play-off run to become a dark horse. I love Marty, but I think it's time to pass the torch. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Price,Fleury and Ward....What if Brodeur comes back for a year and is the 3rd goalie? With him, comes his goalie coach...Either way I say Price handles the load.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Canada's list of goalies to choose from is ugly.

Ward and Fleury have yo-yoed up and down with their play the last couple of years. Luongo ? I'm not crazy about him .  

In my opinion Price is head and shoulders above the rest as of now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:Other than Cam Ward and Marc-Andre Fleury, who else could take a spot for Canada ?

Price,Fleury and Ward....What if Brodeur comes back for a year and is the 3rd goalie? With him, comes his goalie coach...Either way I say Price handles the load. [/QUOTE]

I think that blowout of Canada during the preliminaries of the 2010 Olympics was Broduer's last in international play. I agree though Prices job to lose as of today. Bobby Lou no way as he has lost his MoJo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/id/8927098/us-roster-predictions

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/page/canadaroster_predictions_020813/team-canada-roster-predictions

Burnside and LeBrun's predictions for the US and Canada.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Burnside didn't have either Ward or Price, and Lebrun left off Ward as well? Those are surprises.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Burnside didn't have either Ward or Price, and Lebrun left off Ward as well? Those are surprises.

Burnside's list for both teams is, to put it nicely, not too impressive....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Burnside had Crawford, Smith and Fleury. Yuck !