Sochi - one year out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Sochi - one year out

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Burnside had Crawford, Smith and Fleury. Yuck !

lol! Talk about a kneejerk reactions to quick seasonal starts (Crawford), ridiculous past overachievements (Smith), and playing on a stacked team (Fleury). I doubt any of these three will be in serious contention when all is said and done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

So many choices...

Nash - Crosby - Perry

Tavares - Stamkos - Eberle

Neal - Toews - Giroux

Hall - Bergeron - Richards

+ Staal, Benn

Doughty - Keith

Weber - Pietrangelo

Subban - Staal

+ Letang, Campbell

Price (1), Fleury (2), Luongo (3)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No Olympics for Seidenberg - Germany didn't qualify. Austria, Latvia and Slovenia all pulled the upsets, and will join Canada, Russia, US, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Switzerland at Sochi.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It'll be nice to see Vanek and Kopitar finally get a chance in the international spotlight. I like when teams like Austria and Slovenia claw their way in. I think it's good for the development of the game. I'd rather see teams like that earn their way in, than have a spot gifted to an undeserving team like they did with Japan in Nagano, Italy in Turin and like they'll do in 2018 for South Korea. I understand from a ticket sale point of view why you give the host country a bye, but I'd rather see up and coming countries like Latvia and Slovenia play and maybe grow the game more there than watch South Korea get shellacked 21-0.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to red75's comment:

No Olympics for Seidenberg - Germany didn't qualify. Austria, Latvia and Slovenia all pulled the upsets, and will join Canada, Russia, US, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Switzerland at Sochi.

Austria is a bit surprising.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

I think Slovenia's an even bigger one - they only have 148 registered men's players in the whole country.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think Slovenia's an even bigger one - they only have 148 registered men's players in the whole country.

lol.....but more nhler's than Austria I would bet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Actually there's three Austrians in the NHL right now - Vanek, Grabner and Nodl - and only two Slovenians - Kopitar and Mursak.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'm surprised I didn't get my head ripped off for projected CAN lineups. People feast off that sort of thing. The top teams are going to be stacked and I can't wait. Vancouver's games were some of the best hockey I've ever witnessed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Actually there's three Austrians in the NHL right now - Vanek, Grabner and Nodl - and only two Slovenians - Kopitar and Mursak.

Thanks for the info Red....much appreciated!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

I'm surprised I didn't get my head ripped off for projected CAN lineups. People feast off that sort of thing. The top teams are going to be stacked and I can't wait. Vancouver's games were some of the best hockey I've ever witnessed.

HOW DARE YOU LEAVE OUT ANY LEAF OR HAB (Price excepted) IN YOUR PICKS!!! HNIC TELLS US THEY ARE SUCH TREMENDOUS TEAMS WITH SOOO MUCH TALENT!!!!

50 LASHES!!!

Is that good?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Nice lineup .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not hockey related, but since this is an Olympic thread, I just thought I'd mention how flipping idiotic the IOC's decision to toss wrestling from the Olympics is. I'm an equestrian, and even I would agree that sport should be ditched long before wrestling ever is. Modern Pentathalon and golf are in but wrestling is out? Insane.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Not hockey related, but since this is an Olympic thread, I just thought I'd mention how flipping idiotic the IOC's decision to toss wrestling from the Olympics is. I'm an equestrian, and even I would agree that sport should be ditched long before wrestling ever is. Mocern Pentathalon and gold re in but wrestling is out? Insane.

Wrestling? Is that not one of the first forms of sport going back to the first Olympics in Greece during the bronze age? WTF?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Not hockey related, but since this is an Olympic thread, I just thought I'd mention how flipping idiotic the IOC's decision to toss wrestling from the Olympics is. I'm an equestrian, and even I would agree that sport should be ditched long before wrestling ever is. Mocern Pentathalon and gold re in but wrestling is out? Insane.

Wrestling? Is that not one of the first forms of sport going back to the first Olympics in Greece during the bronze age? WTF?

It's just 4 play to the Greeks.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/history/topic/117584-1.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

It's just 4 play to the Greeks.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/history/topic/117584-1.html

LOL! Oh my....no wonder they slathered themselves with olive oil for the bout.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Being in high school, he probably had his friends smell his finger.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to nrguy's comment:

If Rask is the third string goalie, he won't go. Same thing he said last time. Hopefully his play over the next year gives him at least the nod for 2nd string.

If that's his attitude then he doesn't deserve to be on the team! 

I don't know if I agree with this. Why would he want to go sit on a bench and watch games? I doubt he'd play at all as 3rd string. Not to mention there are only 2 goals during practices.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Canada's list of goalies to choose from is ugly.

Ward and Fleury have yo-yoed up and down with their play the last couple of years. Luongo ? I'm not crazy about him .  

In my opinion Price is head and shoulders above the rest as of now. 

Thats real scary for team Canada fans. Somebody better rise up from the pile. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

In response to nrguy's comment:

If Rask is the third string goalie, he won't go. Same thing he said last time. Hopefully his play over the next year gives him at least the nod for 2nd string.

If that's his attitude then he doesn't deserve to be on the team! 

I don't know if I agree with this. Why would he want to go sit on a bench and watch games? I doubt he'd play at all as 3rd string. Not to mention there are only 2 goals during practices.

It's an honor to be asked. He gets to practise with the team. I just think it's an attitude that stinks to refuse, because you're not going to play. Roy did this in 02' & it was a slap in the face. He wanted to be part of team Canada in 06' & he got rejected. Steve Yzerman was left off the team in 98' until an injury happened. He didn't have a big role & didn't dress one game. Did he cry & pout & say "I'm not going; If I don't play!" It's an honor to be asked to serve your country no matter at what capacity! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Canada's list of goalies to choose from is ugly.

Ward and Fleury have yo-yoed up and down with their play the last couple of years. Luongo ? I'm not crazy about him .  

In my opinion Price is head and shoulders above the rest as of now. 

Thats real scary for team Canada fans. Somebody better rise up from the pile. 

I think Canada's in great hands with Price in goal! I have no idea what you think a great goalie is. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Yeah i guess so nite, its really a "imo" thing. When i watch Price i just don't get a confident feeling like i would get watching Brodeur but that doesn't mean much. To me he seems like he is unsure of himself at times, but that being said if Leaky Lu can win Canada a gold well then Price could too.The way i see Price is when he's great he's great but when he's bad he's really bad. This is only my opinion and i know i'm in the minority, but i think there is no one that really stands out as the Canadian no. #1. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Yeah i guess so nite, its really a "imo" thing. When i watch Price i just don't get a confident feeling like i would get watching Brodeur but that doesn't mean much. To me he seems like he is unsure of himself at times, but that being said if Leaky Lu can win Canada a gold well then Price could too.The way i see Price is when he's great he's great but when he's bad he's really bad. This is only my opinion and i know i'm in the minority, but i think there is no one that really stands out as the Canadian no. #1. 

I can see what you mean. Price has a great demeaner & he does have bad nites. But without him the Habs would be in a lot more trouble than what they are. With a decent D & playing in a world class tournament he'll be world class himself. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I can see what you mean. Price has a great demeaner & he does have bad nites. But without him the Habs would be in a lot more trouble than what they are. With a decent D & playing in a world class tournament he'll be world class himself. 

Nite, even though I'm saying Price is my pick as #1 goalie as of the moment I get what 50 is saying. Price being my #1 choice as Canada's starting goalie doesn't make me feel overconfident in what they'll have in the net.

When you look at the team overall it is the main question mark for them. I look at the top end of Canada's forward and defense compared to other countries and think ...........just as  good. I look at the top end of Canada's goaltending compared to other's goaltending and think..............not as good.

P.S.  kel is respected by me but even his Price man-crush doesn't have me feeling any better about him. I'm hoping Cam Ward has a great year because I'm hoping he could be "the guy".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Nite, even though I'm saying Price is my pick as #1 goalie as of the moment I get what 50 is saying. Price being my #1 choice as Canada's starting goalie doesn't make me feel overconfident in what they'll have in the net.

When you look at the team overall it is the main question mark for them. I look at the top end of Canada's forward and defense compared to other countries and think ...........just as  good. I look at the top end of Canada's goaltending compared to other's goaltending and think..............not as good.

P.S.  kel is respected by me but even his Price man-crush doesn't have me feeling any better about him. I'm hoping Cam Ward has a great year because I'm hoping he could be "the guy".

Fair Post! And I concur with regards to what other countries have in net. I feel comfortable with Price, but at the same time there are others I'd like to take over him, but unforunately they'd have to become a Canadian first. Now, I'm going to go way out in left field & take someone who I think could take one of the spots on Canada. He's mentioned somewhere above, but more in passing. Mike Smith has shown signs of a late bloomer. He has been playing fantastic since he's been with the Yotes. 

Sections
Shortcuts