Sochi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sochi

I brought this up in another thread. I know it's two years out but who do you think makes it from the Bs (assuming the NHL goes again)?

Chara, Krejci, and Seidenberg (if Germany qualifies) are locks.
    Rask will be in for a fight to grab one of three spots on a Finnish team loaded in the net (Lehtonen, Backstrom, Rinne, Kiprusoff)
    If he's still playing, I figure Thomas will get one of the three spots on team USA.

Which leaves the Canadians.
    Seguin has next season to play his way onto the team.
    Lucic has a chance if Yzerman is looking for a hard, physical wing.
    Bergeron, he'll be in the running for shutdown centre, likely up against Toews.

what do you all think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Sochi

I'm not sure Thomas would even be the third choice for the USA in two years - Miller's the veteran starter and best G in the last tournament, Quick is the younger guy who could supplant him.  I could easily see Cory Schneider as the third, but it could be Craig Anderson or Jimmy Howard or a young guy they want to give the experience like Ben Bishop or even a Jack Campbell if he's in the NHL by then.

If Rask is the Bruins starter next year and the year after, he might be fighting for the starting role.  He's already better than Lehtonen, Kiprusoff is getting older and less Gumbyesque, I think he can match Backstrom...that leaves Rinne, who isn't exactly looking like a money goaltender right now.

I think you see Lucic and Bergeron invited for sure, and if Seguin really pours it on next year - like, top 10 scoring, CJ or no CJ - he'll get an invite.  Lucic would be a great fourth liner who could score some big goals - and crush some guys if he can get around the big ice well enough.  But here's who he's up against (Bergeron too, really): Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, E. Staal, B. Richards, Couture, Toews, and, yes, Nugent-Hopkins.  That's leaving out Spezza (too soft) and Joe T (age), it's not including guys who would be good energy/multi-purpose forwards like J. Staal, M. Richards, and it doesn't account for other guys who could grow into Olympic heroes like Jeff Skinner or Adam Henrique (who had a great turn as an energy guy with Team Canada at the WJHC).  It might help Seguin's cause that he has had to play wing the last couple of years.  RW is pretty stacked at the top with Giroux, Eberle, Perry, Nash, but the second tier drops off quickly to old fogies (Iginla, Doan, St. Louis) and then Simmonds, Versteeg, Purcell, Parenteau.

Lucic is up against Neal, Benn, Hartnell, Sharp, E. Kane, maybe Moulson and Lupul, probably Taylor Hall.  In that group, he may stand out for two reasons: Memorial Cup Champion, Stanley Cup Champion.  Imagine him playing with Kane and put Nugent-Hopkins in the middle to distribute?

In the end, I think Bergeron goes to Sochi along with Toews, but that's it for Canadian Bruins.  The dark horse?  Hamilton.  If he is Doughty like as a rookie next year he might go as the 7th D.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Wow, with the way these rosters are looking, it would be a crime if the NHL didn't allow its players to go to Sochi.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

For those of you who are having similar thoughts as me...

"Sochi?  SOCHI? Special Olympics Canada Hockey International?  No that can't be it.  OK, so what the hell is Sochi?"

Ohhh... THAT Sochi.

2014?

Way too far out to think about.  I might not even live that long.  Some troll might cause me an aneurism and simultaneous angina by then.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Sochi:
    [QUOTE]Wow, with the way these rosters are looking, it would be a crime if the NHL didn't allow its players to go to Sochi.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    In all honesty, I prefer leaving the Olympics to amateur athletes. That still left us the Canada Cup and World Cup types of tournaments.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : In all honesty, I prefer leaving the Olympics to amateur athletes. That still left us the Canada Cup and World Cup types of tournaments.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Define "amateur" for me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : Define "amateur" for me.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    Player's that haven't been paid to play yet. Any college players or CHL players that haven't signed contracts yet. It happenned for years. It seems the Olympics is now all about Dream Teams and selling soft drinks when it used to be about amateur athletes competing. I remember guys like Kariya delaying their pro careers just for the opportunity to represent his country. I always admired the commitment seen from our amateur athletes. I think the "new" Olympic hockey is great. You can't beat it for skill level.......but it's just not the same for me. Like I said, there was nothing wrong with the Canada Cups.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : Player's that haven't been paid to play yet. Any college players or CHL players that haven't signed contracts yet. It happenned for years. It seems the Olympics is now all about Dream Teams and selling soft drinks when it used to be about amateur athletes competing. I remember guys like Kariya delaying their pro careers just for the opportunity to represent his country. I always admired the commitment seen from our amateur athletes. I think the "new" Olympic hockey is great. You can't beat it for skill level.......but it's just not the same for me. Like I said, there was nothing wrong with the Canada Cups.

But Dez, during that same era you had Federov, Larionov, Makarov, Karmalov, Who-ever-ov, pulling in six figure salaries and squaring off against a 19 year-old Kariya or Lindros, and the Russians were considered amateurs because their salary was filtered through the military. I don't mind amateurs if every country plays by the same rules.

There's a reason Canada used to boycott the Olympic hockey tournament - if it isn't an even playing field, then it is not a fair sport. I'm fine with using amateurs, but only if the IOC and the IIHF can agree on what an amateur is and enforce that across the board. If Crosby enlists with the RCAF as a reservist is he an amateur? Under the old rules he would be considered as such.

Hayley Wickenheiser has made money as a hockey player, but she currently plays for a Canadian University team for free, though she receives a scholarship. Is she or is she not an amateur under IIHF rules? I don't know.

Also, if you're looking for the best amateur team in the world, isn't that what the Spengler Cup is for?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : But Dez, during that same era you had Federov, Larionov, Makarov, Karmalov, Who-ever-ov, pulling in six figure salaries and squaring off against a 19 year-old Kariya or Lindros, and the Russians were considered amateurs because their salary was filtered through the military. I don't mind amateurs if every country plays by the same rules. There's a reason Canada used to boycott the Olympic hockey tournament - if it isn't an even playing field, then it is not a fair sport. I'm fine with using amateurs, but only if the IOC and the IIHF can agree on what an amateur is and enforce that across the board. If Crosby enlists with the RCAF as a reservist is he an amateur? Under the old rules he would be considered as such. Hayley Wickenheiser has made money as a hockey player, but she currently plays for a Canadian University team for free, though she receives a scholarship. Is she or is she not an amateur under IIHF rules? I don't know. Also, if you're looking for the best amateur team in the world, isn't that what the Spengler Cup is for?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red, I guess I just grew up without pros in the Olympics and I preferred it. The Spengler was basically an Olympic tuneup.Old habits die hard. Like I said, what was wrong with the World Cup of Hockey and the Canada Cups? Lastly, the rules wouldn't so heavily favour the Russians anymore. The playing field would be equal with a good mix of unsigned college and junior players. I don't see a problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : Red, I guess I just grew up without pros in the Olympics and I preferred it. The Spengler was basically an Olympic tuneup.Old habits die hard. Like I said, what was wrong with the World Cup of Hockey and the Canada Cups? Lastly, the rules wouldn't so heavily favour the Russians anymore. The playing field would be equal with a good mix of unsigned college and junior players. I don't see a problem.

It would completely still favour the Russians  since the KHL has already signed an agreement with the IIHF for Sochi. So NA sends Hamilton, Scheilfle, and Krug against a KHL All-Star team?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : It would completely still favour the Russians  since the KHL has already signed an agreement with the IIHF for Sochi. So NA sends Hamilton, Scheilfle, and Krug against a KHL All-Star team?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    No Red, I'm saying if new rules were enforced so that pros couldn't play. That would make all the KHL players ineligible too. Of course I'm only talking about a hypothetical situation here with new rules in place. Hey, it won't be happenning anyway so cheers!.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : Player's that haven't been paid to play yet. Any college players or CHL players that haven't signed contracts yet. It happenned for years. It seems the Olympics is now all about Dream Teams and selling soft drinks when it used to be about amateur athletes competing. I remember guys like Kariya delaying their pro careers just for the opportunity to represent his country. I always admired the commitment seen from our amateur athletes. I think the "new" Olympic hockey is great. You can't beat it for skill level.......but it's just not the same for me. Like I said, there was nothing wrong with the Canada Cups.

Close to, but not exactly, the World Junior Tournament.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sochi : No Red, I'm saying if new rules were enforced so that pros couldn't play. That would make all the KHL players ineligible too. Of course I'm only talking about a hypothetical situation here with new rules in place. Hey, it won't be happenning anyway so cheers!.

Sorry Dez, I misunderstood what you were saying a bit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Capitals 2010 26th pick Evgeney Kuznetsov has signed a two year deal in the KHL according to TSN.  He apparently thinks is will help him make the Russian team for the Sochi Olympics.  The Caps were hoping he would play for them next year.  Just shows the difference in mentality in North American vs European players when it comes to an Olympic medal vs. Stanley Cup championship.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I don't really care about the World Championships.  And, frankly, I'm not sure many of the players do either.  But there's something special about the Olympics.

While I realize that it's a pain in the butt to suspend the NHL season for a few weeks during the Olympics, I feel that the players who participate REALLY enjoy it.  And, it's been some of the best hockey I've ever seen.  Maybe not in the 1st round, but by the medal rounds these teams have gelled a little bit. 

There are about 6 teams or so who have a legitimate shot going in, and they're all STACKED.  All-star teams.  And it's really fun watching all-star teams playing one another when they are acutally trying to win....unlike the all-star game.  I hope the NHL goes to Sochi.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

Khudobin will backstop team Khazhastan(sp??) to the gold medal!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Lets Go Kudo Team Khazy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Lets Go Kudo Team Khazy.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

I'd be pretty surprised if he steals that starting position from evgeni Nabakov. Actually, looking at the potenial players on that team especially some young guns coming up, they could be dangerous - a couple of upsets maybe.