Soderberg in: Horton on way out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: Soderberg in: Horton on way out?

Take a look at the free agent market.  The best replacement is currently on the roster.  And that person is better and likely will cost less then the current horton.  If pc puts a 3m * 2 i think he would stay.  Especially if they use him with dk and lucic.  

Let horton and his emotionless game walk.   If you want to spend 4-5 million put it on a heart and soul guy like Clarkson.  Id be willing to pay clarkson that money.  

[/QUOTE]

Everyone's gonna be after him.  I think he may get more than 5 mil too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I do think there is a chance Horton is back. Colorado, LA, Detroit, these teams could afford to overpay for Horton, but at the end of the season there is a chance that Horton sits down with PC and his agent and it's spelled out for him. This is the worst year to be an FA, especially for him. Coming off a down year, with injury concerns, and a cap taht's gone down. Perhaps a 1 year deal with the bruins, who's team identity should certainly help him to be at his best, would be the best for his long term career. another year like 2010-2011, or another year like he was having before he got hurt the year after, and he'll get 5/25 somewhere. Because of that I could see him taking a 1 year/3 mill deal here. And if it comes down to that I move Peverley for next to nothing and keep Horton instead. 

Having said that, Soderberg has NOTHING to do with Horton. They play different positions, and soda hasn't played a single game yet. One has nothing to do with the other. 

Agreed. He seems to love playing in Boston and with Lucic but a short term deal is the only way he stays here next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Steve,

horton is gonna want 5 million per.  Likely on a career ending contract.  This is his last payday.  Im not interested in some kind of bidding war to get him back.  I expect seguins numbers to get better.  I expect more from lucic.  Hes getting paid like a star.  He isnt one.  

If this team doesnt win i could see a change.  

I would like these lines:

bergies line

dk/jagr/yakupov. Lucic McQ traded for Yaku/Smid.  Oilers need toughness in the worst way.  

Soder/kelly/paille

campy/ST/spooner

chara/hammy

seidz/smid

bart/boychuk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Take a look at the free agent market.  The best replacement is currently on the roster.  And that person is better and likely will cost less then the current horton.  If pc puts a 3m * 2 i think he would stay.  Especially if they use him with dk and lucic.  

Let horton and his emotionless game walk.   If you want to spend 4-5 million put it on a heart and soul guy like Clarkson.  Id be willing to pay clarkson that money.  

[/QUOTE]

Market will be reduced by cap lowering.  He wont go to a bottom feeder.  My early prediction is leafs or sens.  Possibly detroit.  All have major cap space.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Steve,

horton is gonna want 5 million per.  Likely on a career ending contract.  This is his last payday.  Im not interested in some kind of bidding war to get him back.  I expect seguins numbers to get better.  I expect more from lucic.  Hes getting paid like a star.  He isnt one.  

bergies line

dk/jagr/yakupov. Lucic McQ traded for Yaku/Smid.  Oilers need toughness in the worst way.  

Soder/kelly/paille

campy/ST/spooner

chara/hammy

seidz/smid

bart/boychuk

what? this started as a horton conversation and now all of a sudden we're trading for a former first overall pick? okay. let's try to keep this in the realm of possibility. I don't agree with a single thing you said. Horton may want a long long term deal. but why would he want it in the WORST year to be an FA. He's 27. not 37. Not to mention, as per the new CBA, teams can't even give him a career contract. And we have thornton centering spooner and camper? what? or is that campbell? peverley disappears?cmon shupe you're better than this. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Some bonehead will give him a big payday.  He is one of the highest goal scoring ufas available."

Yep just like with Ryder someone will pay Horton. Dallas hasn't missed Ryder like allot thought they would, the Stars are still in a playoff hunt.

Remembering Ryders playoff performances against the Hurricanes 2009 and the Flyers in 2010 far out weigh is cup run perfomance. I remember BoB McKenzie tweeting in 2010 that Chiarelli sent an email out to every GM that Ryder was available and no one bit.

Lots of talent, too inconsitent just like Horton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Market will be reduced by cap lowering.  He wont go to a bottom feeder.  My early prediction is leafs or sens.  Possibly detroit.  All have major cap space.  

[/QUOTE]

ottawa has a ton of space, but toronto doesn't. they have to sign 9 players for 19 million, including their point per game young sniper

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Again, a couple of big playoff goals changes everything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Bingo kel...he'll go on another one of his streaks and silence his critics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Steve,

bergies line

Soder/kelly/paille

campy/ST/spooner

chara/hammy

seidz/smid

bart/boychuk

what? this started as a horton conversation and now all of a sudden we're trading for a former first overall pick? okay. let's try to keep this in the realm of possibility. I don't agree with a single thing you said. Horton may want a long long term deal. but why would he want it in the WORST year to be an FA. He's 27. not 37. Not to mention, as per the new CBA, teams can't even give him a career contract. And we have thornton centering spooner and camper? what? or is that campbell? peverley disappears?cmon shupe you're better than this. 

Just stop.  I put players names on the lines.  If you read enough of my posts i know who plays where.  Horton is going to get a career contract bc he is 27, he wont get it at 32.  He has head issues, he knows that one hit and hes savard...hes been extremely soft this year and i equate that as not wanting to ruin his payday.  He likely gets a 5 year deal.  I wouldnt offer more then 3.   

Peverly is dealt for whatever.  Some team near the bottom of he cap will take him on.  Or he will be bought out.  

The oilers would go bonkers to get lucic.  They have 6 top fwds all cut outta the same mold.  Lucic for yaku is a great deal for both squads bc it helps the needs of each team.  Smid for McQ is advantage bruins.  But the oilers need more team toughness.  lucic is exactly the kinda player they need.  Yaku is exactly the goal scorer and emotion guy this team needs.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

ottawa has a ton of space, but toronto doesn't. they have to sign 9 players for 19 million, including their point per game young sniper

[/QUOTE]

Of those 9, two are priorities.  Gunnarsson and kadri.  The rest expendible. Bozak, mccarthur i dont see back. They had mega bucks ready for perry or getz.  clarkson easily replaces bozak or mccarthur.  The two skating clowns arent huge priorities.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Some bonehead will give him a big payday.  He is one of the highest goal scoring ufas available."

Yep just like with Ryder someone will pay Horton. Dallas hasn't missed Ryder like allot thought they would, the Stars are still in a playoff hunt.

Remembering Ryders playoff performances against the Hurricanes 2009 and the Flyers in 2010 far out weigh is cup run perfomance. I remember BoB McKenzie tweeting in 2010 that Chiarelli sent an email out to every GM that Ryder was available and no one bit.

Lots of talent, too inconsitent just like Horton.

Great post.  Agree completely.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How much of a role do the concussions play? It took a while for Bergeron to get back to the player he was, perhaps with Horton being a player who plays a more physical game it could take more time. Who knows, but as bad as Horton has struggled, I like him, I'd love for him to have a good playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

so careers of good hockey players end at 32 now? wasn't aware a 5 year contract at age 27 is a career contract. Regardless, it does not make any sense. If you are looking for your career contract, you certainly don't want to do it after a down year. Secondly, you certainly don't want to do it in a year where the cap has gone down, and the number of teams that can bid for you is a fraction of what it would normally be. it makes NO sense. none of that makes any sense. Lucic for Yakupov? It would be absurd for edmonton to think about that. Spooner on the fourth line will never ever happen. whatsup with you today shupe?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Steve,

bergies line

Soder/kelly/paille

campy/ST/spooner

chara/hammy

seidz/smid

bart/boychuk

I'm certainly not advocating a bidding war for Horton.  Just saying he needs to be replaced with another quasi scorer/shooter.  That replacement will probably be in the same neighborhood price wise.  And....Jagr could stay too if the price is at all reasonable.

I agree something fairly significant may happen if this group goes out early.  Your Lucic-Yakupov philosphy is interesting.  Looks like the kicker is going to be how much space is used up on goalies.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

so careers of good hockey players end at 32 now? wasn't aware a 5 year contract at age 27 is a career contract. Regardless, it does not make any sense. If you are looking for your career contract, you certainly don't want to do it after a down year. Secondly, you certainly don't want to do it in a year where the cap has gone down, and the number of teams that can bid for you is a fraction of what it would normally be. it makes NO sense. none of that makes any sense. Lucic for Yakupov? It would be absurd for edmonton to think about that. Spooner on the fourth line will never ever happen. whatsup with you today shupe?

No.  But he is in his so called prime.  He has head issues.  Hes a freaking risk.  Do you not understand this.  How is horton having a down year.  Hes one of the highest goal scoring ufas.  And someone will overpay.  Semin just got 7 million a year.  

Did marchand play on the 4th line to start his career.  Worked out pretty well.  

Absurdly edmonton is the softest team in hockey, they have numerous high end picks and still stink bc they are all very similar.  Lucic is a first line power fwd who gets you 30 goals anf is young.   They need a lucic more then a yaku.  If you dont see why edmonton stinks you need to watch them more.  They are the softest team in hockey Hands down.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

No.  But he is in his so called prime.  He has head issues.  Hes a freaking risk.  Do you not understand this.  How is horton having a down year.  Hes one of the highest goal scoring ufas.  And someone will overpay.  Semin just got 7 million a year.  

Absurdly edmonton is the softest team in hockey, they have numerous high end picks and still stink bc they are all very similar.  Lucic is a first line power fwd who gets you 30 goals anf is young.   They need a lucic more then a yaku.  If you dont see why edmonton stinks you need to watch them more.  They are the softest team in hockey Hands down.  

the league normally experiences 8+% growth. why, when the cap goes down would you be looking for a long term -- okay, you know what, forget it, you don't understand, and won't. He'll be in his prime at 28 too, and with a cap at around 70 he'll get his 5/25, or 6/30. he won't get more than maybe 3/12 this year. 

Marchand played on the fourth line to start his career. It worked out well. Ryan Spooner is not Marchand. he's not an agitator, he's a skill guy. No campirason, nothing to do with one another. 

Ya sure EDM could use lucic, he would be great for them. They could also afford to get rid of Yakupov. But not 1 for 1. Lucic + Spooner for him? maybe. Lucic and a 1st. Lucic and Boychuk. Actually Lucic and Boychuk is something they would probably take, and I think I would do that if I was the bruins too. Might be Lucic Boychuk and a pick though. anyway. "Yaku's" value>>>>>>Lucic value

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Probably a good topic for another thread Shupe but I couldnt agree with you more about the Oilers. I watch them alot, big Nugent-Hopkins fan, and you hit it right on the head. They need grit and they need to deal one of the younger guys for some before it's too late. They aren't going to win anything, these kids contracts are going to come up and a coupe of them will be too costly. They need to focus on getting a forward or two like Clowe/Prust and a defenseman like Orpik...Even if they had to trade one of the young ones, the others will benefit so much more. 

It seems so obvious, I don't understand why they don't get it..They better because the clock is ticking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, the wheels are off the wagon here.

No need to trade for or sign a huge name to replace Horton.  Horton isn't a huge name. 

How about this:

Krejci with Lucic and Seguin

Bergeron with Marchand and Jagr

Problem solved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bostonfan, 

horton needs to sign a long term deal bc of his head issues.  Do i need to repeat this.  In 2-3 yrs time if horton is a savard he wont get a big pay day.  If im horton im not worrying about 2-3 yrs time.   Im padding my resume and taking the most money on a long deal. no one is gonna give him 6-7.  Or i hope they wouldnt.  He definitely isnt a franchise player.  

His best chance at good money is right now.  27. Still productive.  Already has a cup so going to a nyi or a team that has money and needs to get to the cap.   

there is nothing wrong putting a young skill guy in the lineup on a 4th line.  Cj is about system.  Play his style and you get bumped up.  Marchand is a high end skill guy who could pester.  Spooner doesnt have that side to his game.  But marchand surely had a boat load of skill walking into camp as well in his 1st year.   

yaku has more value then an elite power fwd who is young, scores 30 a year, leads his teams in hits and has a cup ring to boot.  Maybe he does.  I dont agree.  Edmonton has lots of high skill guys.  Yet they continue to lose.  They are losing bc they absolutely have no one like lucic.  why are you giving yaku so much praise.  What has he done to earn this.  edmonton needs lucic more then yaku.  I will concede it might take a little more with it   But 29 teams would line up to get lucic.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

No need to trade for or sign a huge name to replace Horton.  Horton isn't a huge name. 

How about this:

Problem solved.

completely agree. for the record i wasn't saying such a trade should be made, but saying that edmonton would want way more than lucic for yakupov. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

How about this:

Problem solved.

I already said this.  DK with jagr though.  Dork. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Whatever!  I didn't read every single word in the thread because it was all over the place.  Stop trying to trade Lucic.  He's going to be a beast next year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

He's going to be a beast next year.

So should the B's just scratch him until next year then?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Whatever!  I didn't read every single word in the thread because it was all over the place.  Stop trying to trade Lucic.  He's going to be a beast next year.

My girlfriend uses whatever.  I want lucic to be a beast the rest of this year as well.  

Sections
Shortcuts