Soderberg in: Horton on way out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Soderberg in: Horton on way out?

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=665693

Carlo will take to the ice on Wednesday for his first practice.

This move could be the beginning of the end for Nathan Horton.

Nate must put something together soon and carry it into the playoffs for him to even get a sniff of a new contract from PC.

I can see Carlo (who is a Turbo version of Paille) easily taking Nate's spot. He might even have the scoring touch that has eluded Horton since his first concussion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Soderberg in: Horton on way out?

hard to tell with zero NHL experience...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yetiberg hasn't played a single game in North America yet.  Slow down, Wheat.

Doesn't mean I disagree that Horton needs to find his edge. After that recent stretch of goals in four straight and 5 of 7, he's gone tankorama the last three games with 0-0-0 and a -6.  Total of 5 shots in those games, though that may also be connected to decreasing TOI due to all of the PK time.  FAT, since being moved off of the line with Horton, seems to be playing better.  Just like his last goal, which came when he was playing with Peverley and not Horton. 

The Soderberg stuff is reminding me of the Riendeaumania that lit up this board when they signed him.  Wait and see before you start fantasizing about him on the top line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Are there allot of Bruins fans out there that think Horton will be back with the Bruins ?

Let say he does have a hot post-season. Will Nathan fit under a $64m cap ?

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins

Don Bruino, I was thinking of "Sonny" being a good knickname for Carl, after your oldest ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The Soderberg stuff is reminding me of the Riendeaumania that lit up this board when they signed him.  Wait and see before you start fantasizing about him on the top line.

Haha..."Riendeau-mania". The line I remember seeing the most was "YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS KENNEDY! WE STOLE HIM OUT FROM UNDER MONTREAL'S NOSE!!"

At least Soderberg has played well against actual adult men professional hockey players. The Swedish league is inferiour in every way to the NHL of course, but there are some reasons for optimism that he'll be a force. I don't expect him to be the saviour/Superman that some are hoping for, but I've never seen him play, so that's just a guess--as is my guess that he'll have some solid-but-not-exceptional value for the B's going forward.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

No idea what to expect from him, but PC is paying him like a 4th-liner.  If ends up good enough to be top-9, then that will be a pleasant surprise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Are there allot of Bruins fans out there that think Horton will be back with the Bruins ?

Let say he does have a hot post-season. Will Nathan fit under a $64m cap ?

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins

Don Bruino, I was thinking of "Sonny" being a good knickname for Carl, after your oldest ?

You're right. Done.

Carlo was the son-in-law that Sonny beat up. That doesn't paint a good picture.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah that would make Don Barzini look to good having any reference to Carlo, can't have that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think it's a bit early to suggest Soderberg can or will displace Horton, but I would be pretty happy if he did.  Horton isn't any fun to watch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I think it's a bit early to suggest Soderberg can or will displace Horton, but I would be pretty happy if he did.  Horton isn't any fun to watch.

People think hes getting 5 million plus.  i might go 3.5 over 2.  Some bonehead will give him a big payday.  He is one of the highest goal scoring ufas available.  I could see him heading back to florida.  Maybe tampa.  

I dont want him back either

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

agreed, the whole team is no fun to watch. Horton looks awful, Lucic looks worse than that! my question is why are two proven scoring power forwards looking so bad? is it because of the one  who's name shall not be spoken? since  this post is using a movie theme. or are they all just tired?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

No idea what to expect from him, but PC is paying him like a 4th-liner.  If ends up good enough to be top-9, then that will be a pleasant surprise.

I'm still waiting for the contract to be posted, Crowls, but I think it might be an EL deal.  If it's an EL, that's all they can pay him.

I also have no idea what to expect, but I know as a rule, you're usually wiser not to expect the world from an unproven professional athlete.  Honestly, I am expecting a Rolston-like impact this year and maybe more next year, but with a very clear vision of the possibility that he proves almost useless and heads back to Linkoping by October.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=664752&navid=DL|BOS|home

The contract is three years at $1 million per (one way contract).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I can't wait till he signs with another team and everyone wants him back a la Ryder.

I also am not happy about his physical aspect of the game but you cannot deny this guy gets a lot of chances and that's not a fluke. Many times the puck gets saved and many times the puck just misses (high) ,  it might look like nothing to many of you but he knows where to be to get a lot of chances.  Again, just like Ryder did, only thing is he's looked a bit better than how Ryder finished with the Bruins.

Of course if he demands big money he'll end up somewhere else as the Bruins with the cap going down are in a little bit of a pickle.In the meantime enjoy the goals he scores because when he scores somewhere else there will be a good bunch on this forum stating PC missed the boat ,again!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I'm still waiting for the contract to be posted, Crowls, but I think it might be an EL deal.  If it's an EL, that's all they can pay him.

I also have no idea what to expect, but I know as a rule, you're usually wiser not to expect the world from an unproven professional athlete.  Honestly, I am expecting a Rolston-like impact this year and maybe more next year, but with a very clear vision of the possibility that he proves almost useless and heads back to Linkoping by October.

For what it's worth, capgeek does not list his contract as "EL" and indicates that he is a UFA after 2014-15.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/2455

PC had something about him having agreed to a contract with the Blues, but things fell apart between the two parties.  Hard to find information on that, though.

Hockey's Future Profile states that he signed EL in 2005-2006.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/carl_soderberg/

PC also mentioned that the Bruins had to lift a "sustpended" status off of him to let him play in Sweden (Elitserien).  I may not have understood that correctly, it was from a radio interview.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

People think hes getting 5 million plus.  i might go 3.5 over 2.  Some bonehead will give him a big payday.  He is one of the highest goal scoring ufas available.  I could see him heading back to florida.  Maybe tampa.  

Be careful what you wish for.  Most didn't want Ryder back, and this team has missed him dearly, ever since he left.  Cap issues, or not, Horton must be replaced by someone as good or better.  For that kind of money, the replacement will undoubtedly be the same kind of player.  This team is a lot worse when anyone of any offensive ilk is subtracted.

There should have been a lesson learned when Ryder wasn't replaced.  There is absolutely no "cost saving...cap compliance" positives associated with Hortons potential departure.  He absolutely must be replaced, and that replacement will probably cost a bit more than current.  Otherwise the team is downgraded IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah the playoffs always change one's mind, except for Ryder possibly.  Yeti has not displaced anyone on the team, Jared Knight could be better for all fans know.  So I will watch the Horton/Yeti debate in the playoffs.  Competition in the playoffs is the key to who stays and who goes.  My guess wheat may be correct nonetheless.  The rationale is not play but the Cap $.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I had the same thought as Legion and steve: sounds a lot like the way people talked about Ryder in his last year, and we've now had a couple of years of moaning about him like he's that ex-gf you didn't realize was so important to your life and you ditched her because she wasn't freaky enough in bed.

For the record, I don't disagree that letting Ryder sign in Dallas was the right move.  The only problem is that Pouliot didn't give them everything Ryder did, and Bourque gave them a fraction of what Pouliot did.  Always, ALWAYS want guys to get pushed out, not have them choose to leave and then backfill.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

No way Horton is here next year, unless he plays for free. Even then, he's taking up a roster spot. He's lost most of his game, and we need to get quicker. The concussions most likely have taken their toll. I don't even think a good playoff will bring him back, especially with the cap going down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I can't wait till he signs with another team and everyone wants him back a la Ryder.

I also am not happy about his physical aspect of the game but you cannot deny this guy gets a lot of chances and that's not a fluke. Many times the puck gets saved and many times the puck just misses (high) ,  it might look like nothing to many of you but he knows where to be to get a lot of chances.  Again, just like Ryder did, only thing is he's looked a bit better than how Ryder finished with the Bruins.

Of course if he demands big money he'll end up somewhere else as the Bruins with the cap going down are in a little bit of a pickle.In the meantime enjoy the goals he scores because when he scores somewhere else there will be a good bunch on this forum stating PC missed the boat ,again!

I didnt like ryder when he was here.  Definitely never wanted him back.   Was glad when we got horton. But this guy is a shell of himself.  I wont miss him at all.  I will be more excited about his replacement.  Hope its jagr.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

Horton coming off the concussions may very well be tired. If we get everyone healthy before the end  of the year he could sit  and rotate Caron. He seems to be extremely well like by his teammates and I hope he comes back at the right price. I would try and trade Peverley to keep Horton. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Be careful what you wish for.  Most didn't want Ryder back, and this team has missed him dearly, ever since he left.  Cap issues, or not, Horton must be replaced by someone as good or better.  For that kind of money, the replacement will undoubtedly be the same kind of player.  This team is a lot worse when anyone of any offensive ilk is subtracted.

There should have been a lesson learned when Ryder wasn't replaced.  There is absolutely no "cost saving...cap compliance" positives associated with Hortons potential departure.  He absolutely must be replaced, and that replacement will probably cost a bit more than current.  Otherwise the team is downgraded IMO.

Take a look at the free agent market.  The best replacement is currently on the roster.  And that person is better and likely will cost less then the current horton.  If pc puts a 3m * 2 i think he would stay.  Especially if they use him with dk and lucic.  

Let horton and his emotionless game walk.   If you want to spend 4-5 million put it on a heart and soul guy like Clarkson.  Id be willing to pay clarkson that money.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bruins6's comment:

Horton coming off the concussions may very well be tired. If we get everyone healthy before the end  of the year he could sit  and rotate Caron. He seems to be extremely well like by his teammates and I hope he comes back at the right price. I would try and trade Peverley to keep Horton. 

I would trade peverly for a box of krispy cremes and let horton walk.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I didnt like ryder when he was here.  Definitely never wanted him back.   Was glad when we got horton. But this guy is a shell of himself.  I wont miss him at all.  I will be more excited about his replacement.  Hope its jagr.  

I wouldn't mind seeing Jagr back either, but not as Horton's replacement.  I think it's fair to say now, that this team lacks finish.  To fix that, this team needs to replace Horton, plus get someone you can count on for 25.  If Jagr is enoying Boston, and is only figuring on one more year in the league, PC may get a little discount.   My point about Ryder doesn't question/debate his time here, just the folly in not replacing his scoring potential.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I do think there is a chance Horton is back. Colorado, LA, Detroit, these teams could afford to overpay for Horton, but at the end of the season there is a chance that Horton sits down with PC and his agent and it's spelled out for him. This is the worst year to be an FA, especially for him. Coming off a down year, with injury concerns, and a cap taht's gone down. Perhaps a 1 year deal with the bruins, who's team identity should certainly help him to be at his best, would be the best for his long term career. another year like 2010-2011, or another year like he was having before he got hurt the year after, and he'll get 5/25 somewhere. Because of that I could see him taking a 1 year/3 mill deal here. And if it comes down to that I move Peverley for next to nothing and keep Horton instead. 

Having said that, Soderberg has NOTHING to do with Horton. They play different positions, and soda hasn't played a single game yet. One has nothing to do with the other. 

Sections
Shortcuts