Soderberg, what a change !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Soderberg, what a change !

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nite, not getting into a scrum after the whistle isn't a sign of not being tough. I take it as a sign of discipline. The play's dead - the only thing that accomplishes is a potential penalty. Yeah, lots of players do the push back thing once the whistle goes. When has it ever once changed the outcome of the previous play?

[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point red. I want to know that he's not a Sedin who will allow his head to be a speed bag ok? Take that discipline garbage and shove it! I want to know he's a hockey player. If he's tough enough to be doing the extra hacks and whacks I want him to be able to react to what comes from others after that. Not skate and hide behind refs! That's Canuck and Penguins hockey.  No Thank You! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nite, not getting into a scrum after the whistle isn't a sign of not being tough. I take it as a sign of discipline. The play's dead - the only thing that accomplishes is a potential penalty. Yeah, lots of players do the push back thing once the whistle goes. When has it ever once changed the outcome of the previous play?

[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point red. I want to know that he's not a Sedin who will allow his head to be a speed bag ok? Take that discipline garbage and shove it! I want to know he's a hockey player. If he's tough enough to be doing the extra hacks and whacks I want him to be able to react to what comes from others after that. Not skate and hide behind refs! That's Canuck and Penguins hockey.  No Thank You! 

[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else on this team have to meet that criteria ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In respurse to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else on this team have to meet that criteria ?

[/QUOTE]

I know ur going to try and bait me into saying Eriksson, but if that is the case you're missing a huge part of my beef. And that is how both players play.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I was excited when he joined the team but I must admit I was disappointed until he turned it around this year.  To have a third line with him and Erikson is just amazing.  We could almost say the B's have three 1st lines.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was excited when he joined the team but I must admit I was disappointed until he turned it around this year.  To have a third line with him and Erikson is just amazing.  We could almost say the B's have three 1st lines.

[/QUOTE]

I would say they might just have the best 4 lines in the league. Bring Stanley home again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

In one interview (might have been pre-season) Soderberg was asked about his expectations for  this season. Among other things, he made the comment that 15 goals would be attainable. I think he's at 13 right now and playing some of his best hockey of the whole year. At this point the magical mark of 20 goals is not out of the question. A little more intensity from linemate Loui and he just might get there. 

In response to NeelyOrrBourque, I think you are probably going to be disappointed if you are looking for a rough and tough, glove dropping, power-forward style game from Soderberg. He's strong and willing to compete in the dirty areas and in front of the net but not very confrontational. The scouting report on him actually spoke to the opinion that he could be intimidated and taken off his game a bit. I'm not sure what dirty hacks you are seeing him dish out, unless you are talking about the usual give and take with a defenseman in front of the net or swiping at potentially loose pucks around the goalie. I actually find his game a bit soft for my tastes, but have grown to appreciate the abundant other skills he brings to the team. Playing in Sweden is a far cry from the AHL. Hopefully a little time in North America will toughen him up a little bit, although I'd rather not have him getting punched in his bum eye.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In one interview (might have been pre-season) Soderberg was asked about his expectations for  this season. Among other things, he made the comment that 15 goals would be attainable. I think he's at 13 right now and playing some of his best hockey of the whole year. At this point the magical mark of 20 goals is not out of the question. A little more intensity from linemate Loui and he just might get there. 

In response to NeelyOrrBourque, I think you are probably going to be disappointed if you are looking for a rough and tough, glove dropping, power-forward style game from Soderberg. He's strong and willing to compete in the dirty areas and in front of the net but not very confrontational. The scouting report on him actually spoke to the opinion that he could be intimidated and taken off his game a bit. I'm not sure what dirty hacks you are seeing him dish out, unless you are talking about the usual give and take with a defenseman in front of the net or swiping at potentially loose pucks around the goalie. I actually find his game a bit soft for my tastes, but have grown to appreciate the abundant other skills he brings to the team. Playing in Sweden is a far cry from the AHL. Hopefully a little time in North America will toughen him up a little bit, although I'd rather not have him getting punched in his bum eye.  

[/QUOTE]

1. You never read my post at all. If you did your never would've made this statement!

2. This is garbage!- He most certainly is confrontational. If he wasn't he wouldn't be charging the net as reckles as he does. Any player who does this needs to expect confrontations. It's his whole just skating away from those confrontations that I don't like.

3. Not once did I say the word "dirty hacks"

4. You just made almost the same complaint as me except I didn't call him soft. He's not soft. Soft players don't go into the dirty areas. Soft players don't skate into the corners & come out with the puck.

5. I'd rather he got punched in the bad eye than the good one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Neely, you are acting like I'm arguing with you...I'm not. I'm just adding something to your discussion and yes I did read your posts. I'm not rebutting you line for line or actually even disagreeing with you. Take it easy. 

Where we seem to not be on the same page is what we each view as confrontational play. I tend to think of it as the questionable hits, shoving, glove in face, hacking with the stick type of stuff. You know....mucking it up after the whistle, goonery and intimation. Something that you should be willing to answer for if you are pursuing this course of action. Going hard to the net and digging for pucks in the corner, I just tend to look at as good intense hockey...not someone looking for trouble. 

As far as my "dirty hacks" comment this is what I read: NeelyOrrBourque, "If he's tough enough to be doing the extra hacks and whacks I want him to be able to react to what comes from others after that." I thought you were describing some questionable or dirty play. I guess I just kind of read that into your comment. Extra hacks NOT dirty hacks, I stand corrected and you have my apologies. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

Neely, you are acting like I'm arguing with you...I'm not. I'm just adding something to your discussion and yes I did read your posts. I'm not rebutting you line for line or actually even disagreeing with you. Take it easy. 

Where we seem to not be on the same page is what we each view as confrontational play. I tend to think of it as the questionable hits, shoving, glove in face, hacking with the stick type of stuff. You know....mucking it up after the whistle, goonery and intimation. Something that you should be willing to answer for if you are pursuing this course of action. Going hard to the net and digging for pucks in the corner, I just tend to look at as good intense hockey...not someone looking for trouble. 

As far as my "dirty hacks" comment this is what I read: NeelyOrrBourque, "If he's tough enough to be doing the extra hacks and whacks I want him to be able to react to what comes from others after that." I thought you were describing some questionable or dirty play. I guess I just kind of read that into your comment. Extra hacks NOT dirty hacks, I stand corrected and you have my apologies. 

[/QUOTE]

I wish I could you give a video example of what I mean with regards to Soderberg. Remember Lucic last night against Mike Stone in front of the net? Lucic went hard to the net, took a whack at Smith, Stone whacks Lucic & then there's the scrum because Lucic was ready for whatever came after. I don't mean for Soderberg to get that engaged. What I want from him is to take the extra whack at the goalie & stand there, take a whack back & then push, or whack that person. Instead of just skating away. I find him skating away is against what this team of the Bruins is about. If he wants to go to the front of the net like Erikkson does; fine I have no problem with that. But, Eriksson doesn't give that extra whack to the goalie when the goalie has it. That's his way & that's his style I'm OK with that. What Soderberg does is the whacks & then skates away when someone whacks him back. Which I take that as he runs at the 1st sign of trouble. I don't like that part of his game. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wish I could you give a video example of what I mean with regards to Soderberg. Remember Lucic last night against Mike Stone in front of the net? Lucic went hard to the net, took a whack at Smith, Stone whacks Lucic & then there's the scrum because Lucic was ready for whatever came after. I don't mean for Soderberg to get that engaged. What I want from him is to take the extra whack at the goalie & stand there, take a whack back & then push, or whack that person. Instead of just skating away. I find him skating away is against what this team of the Bruins is about. If he wants to go to the front of the net like Erikkson does; fine I have no problem with that. But, Eriksson doesn't give that extra whack to the goalie when the goalie has it. That's his way & that's his style I'm OK with that. What Soderberg does is the whacks & then skates away when someone whacks him back. Which I take that as he runs at the 1st sign of trouble. I don't like that part of his game. 

[/QUOTE]

Good examples. I hear what you're saying and agree that a player can't have it both ways...regardless of team sweater. I too see his lack of response after the whistle, just not sure that he's initiating it or that NHL defensemen have done their homework on Soderberg. As I mentioned, the scouting was that he can be physically intimidated despite his size, strength and what appears to be highly competitive personalty. Say that his style of play is kind of asking for it, this could lead to a "fork in the road" with his game in the NHL if he lacks the courage to push back. Soderbergh could end up more Erikkson or more Lucic. Obviously, we'd both be more in favor of the latter. I just don't know if he's got that next level of confrontation in him. With his awesome skills, just imagine what a force he'd be with just enough snarl to create a bit more space for himself...wishful thinking I'm afraid. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. You never read my post at all. If you did your never would've made this statement!

2. This is garbage!- He most certainly is confrontational. If he wasn't he wouldn't be charging the net as reckles as he does. Any player who does this needs to expect confrontations. It's his whole just skating away from those confrontations that I don't like.

4. You just made almost the same complaint as me except I didn't call him soft. He's not soft. Soft players don't go into the dirty areas. Soft players don't skate into the corners & come out with the puck.

[/QUOTE]

Well said - Thank You

many on this board always equate comments regarding physical play with fighting or making huge hits. Bergeron and Marchand, for example, play a physical aggressive game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said - Thank You

many on this board always equate comments regarding physical play with fighting or making huge hits. Bergeron and Marchand, for example, play a physical aggressive game.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good examples. I hear what you're saying and agree that a player can't have it both ways...regardless of team sweater. I too see his lack of response after the whistle, just not sure that he's initiating it or that NHL defensemen have done their homework on Soderberg. As I mentioned, the scouting was that he can be physically intimidated despite his size, strength and what appears to be highly competitive personalty. Say that his style of play is kind of asking for it, this could lead to a "fork in the road" with his game in the NHL if he lacks the courage to push back. Soderbergh could end up more Erikkson or more Lucic. Obviously, we'd both be more in favor of the latter. I just don't know if he's got that next level of confrontation in him. With his awesome skills, just imagine what a force he'd be with just enough snarl to create a bit more space for himself...wishful thinking I'm afraid. 

[/QUOTE]

That's basically it in a nutshell. Can't have it both ways. I like Soderberg, I think he'll score some big goals in the post season, but I try to not be a double standard type person. Most of his game is fine, but this part of his game don't.  It's as simple as that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Remember when Soderberg was 1st reported to be coming to Boston. They had to wait till his team was out of the playoffs in Sweden,then that turned out to be waiting for his 3 game suspension to end for crosschecking a opponent across the head in retaliation for a pretty good battle ending in a facewash then the crosscheck. His team lost in 3 games the last 2 without him. Glad to have him!

Sections
Shortcuts