Solid Black & Gold Greatest Hits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Solid Black & Gold Greatest Hits

Most of you argue that hits are not a relative stat, arguing the subjectivity and supposed inaccuracies from off ice crew to off ice crew in each building.  However, it is something that I still find as a valuable indicator to winning hockey, especially in the Bruins roll 4 and wear em down system.  Don't look now, but the B's are back to banging bodies.  In the regular season the B's were 10th in total hits with 1200 thru 48 games for 25 hits per game.  In the playoffs, the B's are 1st with 415 hits thru 10 games or 41.5 hits per game.  In comparison, the Blackhawks are down 2-1 to the wings.  They have 203 hits thru 8 games for 25.3 hits per game.  The wings have 258 hits thru 10 games for 25.8 hits per game.  Detroit was 29th in the regular season and Chicago was dead last in hits during the regular season. Time will tell, and obviously you still need skill & goaltending to win in the playoffs.  But the playoffs just may be decided by the teams that are the most physical!  I was concerned during the regular season that the Bruins were too much of a puck control team, a la Detroit, and they were no longer the Big, Bad, Bruins.  Looks like they "flipped the switch" and remembered to put their big boy pants on and do what they know can bring you Lord Stanley!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20133ALLSAAALL&sort=hits&viewName=realTimeStats

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Solid Black & Gold Greatest Hits

The year they won the cup they were 21st in the league in hits in the regular season. During the playoffs that year they were 2nd .

Some want them to play like this during the regular season.  

A hitting style of game is important for the Bruins in the playoffs. Over the long haul of the regular season that type of game night after night creates injuries. Is this style of play during the regular season sustainable without losing players ? Nope.

Hit totals posted during the regular season showed the Bruins numbers were lower then other teams. Some claimed other teams were tougher because of that. The Bruins Big and Bad nickname was undeserving they said. 

Watching the playoffs..........how do they like them now ? 

The Big Bad Bruins playing a physical brand of hockey when it matters the most...............the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hits are very important.  I don't rely on the stat as much because, like you said, it's very subjective.  Being at the top of the list is much better that being at the bottom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Solid gold?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Solid gold?

Solid Gold.... Great strip club in Montreal. Make sure to check out the champagne room!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was thinking this would be a thread about Nutty, I Feel Like Gerry Cheevers, or Time To Go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1trBK0qbzU